Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

OB-Xd by Jorge Reales is on sale right now - 50% off

Down from $7.99 to 3.99

https://itunes.apple.com/app/id1465262829

Description:

OB-Xd is based on the Oberheim OB-X. It attempts to recreate its sound and behavior, but as the original was very limited in some important ways, a number of things were added or altered to the original design.

OB-Xd was designed to sound as good and as rich as the original. It implements micro random detuning. Also, like many synths of the OB-X's generation, the OB-Xd has no internal effects so its sounds and textures can be greatly enhanced by the use of additional processing like chorus, reverb, delay, etc.

MIDI keyboard required for standalone app. GarageBand is recommended to setup MIDI Bluetooth keyboard via Advanced Settings.

Comments

• Ah. My first and so far only app refund. Memories!

• @White you are this forum's VIP for Heads Ups and I salute you good man.

• Great sounding synth, but lack of on-screen keyboard in standalone (or small, fiddly GUI if using in AUM etc), plus inability to make/recall presets makes it far less useful than it could be.

• @Philandering_Bastard said:
    Ah. My first and so far only app refund. Memories!

Thanks for reminding me to keep clear of this dev.

• I bought this, returned it cos it was a total mess, then bought it again when it actually worked. It's a fairly decent app, I would say, but I hardly ever use it.

• edited November 2019

^^ this ^^

...decent but rarely use it.

Is there a way to use it in standalone mode? i.e. what do most people use as a keyboard with it?

• edited November 2019

You have to use a hardware MIDI keyboard or host it in AUM, GarageBand, etc

• @White said:
    Down from $7.99 to 3.99

https://itunes.apple.com/app/id1465262829

Description:

OB-Xd is based on the Oberheim OB-X. It attempts to recreate its sound and behavior, but as the original was very limited in some important ways, a number of things were added or altered to the original design.

OB-Xd was designed to sound as good and as rich as the original. It implements micro random detuning. Also, like many synths of the OB-X's generation, the OB-Xd has no internal effects so its sounds and textures can be greatly enhanced by the use of additional processing like chorus, reverb, delay, etc.

MIDI keyboard required for standalone app. GarageBand is recommended to setup MIDI Bluetooth keyboard via Advanced Settings.

Ok I bought it since it’s only about the cost of a cup of joe right now. This has potential .. get some presets and state saving going and it might be a winner for us older hacks who once actually had the real thing 🤠 Ohh and adding some white stripes to the graphics would be cool too.

• It’s a shame you can not save preset. It would be a nice synth with keyboard and preset saving.

• It sounds very nice to my ear. Plus it just got a update.

I am using cubasis to save my OB-Xd patch.

I want to download the free pc version and some patch pack. I can the copy the best patch settings on my iPad.

• edited November 2019

I just bought this on sale.

I don't think it's an exact OB-X reproduction. But it does have the capability of producing some of that vintage OB-X "character".

I never played a hardware OB-X, so I don't know the range of diversity of the vintage oscillator output. But in my experimentation, the variability of this synth's oscillator output seems narrower than I would have expected. But maybe it's the same on the vintage hardware?

All by itself (with no effects), I don't think this this synth reaches the level of fullness that I think of from an OB-X. But with effects, the sound can be quite impressive.

My opinion, This synth has a well designed sound engine perfect for running through effects to create some very useful vintage types of sounds. With additional effects, and multiple AU instances. I've been able to get some very creative, fun, and inspiring, output, that well surpasses traditional OB-X territory, and ventures into an interesting and novel creative territory that utilizes that hint of OB-X character to make sounds that are both "new" yet have an underlying hint of vintage OB-X.

I like the sound engine, but am not thrilled about user interface. I wish that in AUM, I could have the UI fill the screen side to side and use two fingers to scroll like some other synths can do.

I can save user patch using AUM. But I feel user patch saving is a fundamental and necessary feature for any synth. I spent a half hour working on one sound. It would be nice to be able to save that in-app, and have it available while running the AU in other iOS Daws.

I think this synth comes very close in the sound department, but falls short because of the lack of that typical basic set of interface features, that I think most users of iOS synths might consider as bare necessities.

I think if the developer were to perfect the user interface and make it full screen width and scrollable like the Moog model 15 app. Add the ability for users to save the patches they make in-app, to an accessible folder, so they can be backed up. And add a simple in-App Chorus effect (even if it's just two settings like a Juno 60/Juno 106...... It would then become a really good IOS synth.

Almost there, but not quite.

Worth $3.99USD.
    With the updates I mentioned, I think this could become a popular synth (in my own personal opinion).

EDITED to add...
    Just spent about 5 hours straight with this thing.
    This thing is great, but the programing learning curve is a bit steep. Some controls are a bit sensitive, and sometimes less is more.

It defiantly has OB-X DND at it's heart. The basses this think can muster up are amazing.

All it needs to be all aces would be the in-app patch storage. An in-App keyboard. And a full screen width UI display with the ability to scroll.

Forget any built in chorus effects. Not necessary when there are so many FX apps available.

This synth is great for mixing with other synths in AUM and running through all kinds of effects. It's all about what the unique OB-X type filter can do to that bass. It's not a synth with many diverse sounds as there's not much choice for shaping the oscillator waveforms. But I certainly think it's in a league of it's own, and I've not yet been able to tweak any other synth to match what this one can output. Some are close, but there's something about this that is just very unique.

But it takes a lot of programing work to get it to where it just shines. Hence the need for the in-app patch storage. Also a way to back up those hard earned patches so you can never loose them.

If the developer had finished this Synth from the get go, gave it user patch storage, and got some volunteers to create a set of factory presets for it. I think this synth would have initially been very well received by the iOS music masses.

• Thanks for the idea of putting effects. Fac chorus make this thing shine.

• edited November 2019

Enjoying this app At its current bargain price, for all it doesn’t have - no effects, no onboard patches ( though you can save patches using the standard browser window in AUM, no problem), no hand holding - just a raw, analogish and powerful sound, with everything laid out for you on a single screen - you are forced to do your own sound design, and small tweaks have big effects. I am old enough to remember the thickness of Oberheim sounds first time round, and this app does have a unique character which seems to capture some of that quality. Old school rules! :)

• edited November 2019

If you happen to have the excellent AudioMixer and Mozaic Midi scripting apps, check out the following Mosaic scripts that unlock the pre-existing patches for this synth: https://patchstorage.com/rompler-v0-9-for-ob-xd/

• @Tim6502 said:
    If you happen to have the excellent AudioMixer and Mozaic Midi scripting apps, check out the following Mosaic scripts that unlock the pre-existing patches for this synth: https://patchstorage.com/rompler-v0-9-for-ob-xd/

@Tim6502 I just gone a brought OB-Xd on the basis of your script. Very clever piece of work just been using it in AUM along with Photon to trigger Mozaic. Well impressed thankyou as I’m not the best patch builder.

• @Tim6502 said:

@Tim6502 I have noticed on some of the patches I just get clicks when playing AUM inbuilt keys ie Bank 1 pad 3 acidic bass 3 IW . Am I missing a trick ?

• @Jumpercollins said:

@Tim6502 said:

@Tim6502 I just gone a brought OB-Xd on the basis of your script. Very clever piece of work just been using it in AUM along with Photon to trigger Mozaic. Well impressed thankyou as I’m not the best patch builder.

Nice, I might check this out thanks 😊
    I made an Ableton OBX rack which sent the Desktop patch to iOS, another way to transfer patches which works well too, but not as convenient because you need Live/interface etc

• @Tim6502 said:

Thanks for the Mozaic trick. This really bring this app to another dimension. I haven’t understood how deep it can get when correctly configured. And for the people who want to save the presets, you can use the native functionality in AUM

• Er. How do you access the presets?

• @cyberheater said:
    Er. How do you access the presets?

You can use the mozaic script (see above) like this (don’t forget to set mozaic as the source in the midi control panel)

Or the preset in AUM like this

• Wow, brilliant work on the script. @Tim6502
    Thanks for making it. This makes obxd infinitely more useful.

• Doug posted this video on facebook:

• Glad that you guys are able to make use of this! This synth appeared to be trapped in some deep sleep and needed to be woken up.

I had also set up CC controller mappings for the plugin in Audiobus and apeMatrix, but then I could not figure out how to make use of them. Seems that apeMatrix might look for an external Midi source (?) for its CCs - or perhaps I just do not understand how it and AB work in this respect. I am now curious to see if anybody can enlighten me how this actually can be done. I fully expect that both, AB and aM would be able to support a similar setup.

@Jumpercollins said:
    @Tim6502 I have noticed on some of the patches I just get clicks when playing AUM inbuilt keys ie Bank 1 pad 3 acidic bass 3 IW . Am I missing a trick ?

As this is taken from the banks of freely downloadable Windows AUV, it is possible that something got mapped wrong, killing these patches. Initially, most of the patches were not working at all for me. That was because I had mapped Osc1Pitch to CC7, which happens to also be acted upon by AUM as channel volume[!], and most patches were setting this to non-audible levels. So it could well be that some more wires are still crossed.

However, most of the patches do appear to produce sound - and there are boatloads of them.
    So do have fun now!

• edited November 2019

I don’t have Mosaic but this piques my interest...
    So does this allow me to call up ready-made presets for OB-X using MIDI? And are OB-X paremeters for each preset already mapped?
    And do I need another app in addition to AUM and Mosaic?

• Yes, @TimRussell, you just need AUM, OB-Xd, and Mozaic.

You can dial the patch from the Mozaic screen or, if you prefer, Midi bank-select (CC0) and PC - handy if your keyboard has a next-program key.

As @cuscolima points out, you can save patches (including any mods you dial on the OB-Xd) as AUM presets for the OB-Xd AUv3, so you can select them later in AUM without any Mozaic plugin around.

Of note, there are five different Mozaic scripts with a couple hundred presets / a small number of banks each.

• Bought this kind of on a whim. I’m happy with it. Makes some great sounds.

• @anickt said:
    Bought this kind of on a whim. I’m happy with it. Makes some great sounds.

It does. I confess that I've had this for ages but only really got into it after watching Doug's video today. Had a good time with it, and it was nice to be forced to start a patch from scratch.

• Great presets @Tim6502 ! Thank you for your work. We should be able to edit the sustain code for the ones that click.

• @Tim6502 this is slick. I see what @gusgranite is saying about the sustain being the issue on some patches. I’ve also seen where it takes two presses of a moazic pad to send the preset.