Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

iCloud backup wtf ??

Anyone else ever used iCloud to backup 200+ gb when switching devices? I set it to run overnight thinking I’d be be good after 8hrs and it still saying 11hrs to go. My WiFi is stable. Anyone got any tips? I don’t have enough space in my Mac to do a wired backup

Comments

• edited November 2019

@RedSkyLullaby said:
    Anyone else ever used iCloud to backup 200+ gb when switching devices? I set it to run overnight thinking I’d be be good after 8hrs and it still saying 11hrs to go. My WiFi is stable. Anyone got any tips? I don’t have enough space in my Mac to do a wired backup

I think if you use it everyday (it backs up automatically at night when the device is plugged in) then it's going to be a smoother experience, but obviously if you are backing up a lot of data for the first time it could take a while.

I've been using iCloud backup for years, and have updated several devices this way, and overall it's pretty reliable, so I think once you get the initial backup out of the way it should be OK.

• Ya - it will do incremental backups after the first fatty one (or at least it seems to check if files have changed and then back up only the changes). I do the same as richardyot and have restored three or four devices this way, never a hitch. The photos always seem to take the longest but I'm not as worried about them since I know they are always in the cloud anyway and I don't really care if they are cached to my device or not (in most cases I'd prefer they not be cached since they take up so much space).

• Thanks.yes is a fresh backup of 200gb Just wasn’t expecting 18hr process. Supposed to be getting a replacement device today (just about under warranty thankfully for screen pixel burnout issue)

• Was also thinking of update to ios13 and try and hook up my 1tb powered hard drive and save stuff that way instead, anyone tried that ??

• It took my iPhone SE roughly 48 hours to back up 60gb before I could restore on my iPhone 11, so I'm surprised your says 11 hours to go on 200+gb. The wait really is excruciating, lol.

• That's equivalent to a speed of roughly 25 Mbit/s, so I wouldn't call that particularly slow... 😉

• Most (US) non-fiber residential Internet options are heavily skewed for download and the upload speeds are very limited. I’ve got 600 Mb down and only 12 up.

• Yikes looks like I’ll be lucky if it’s done in 18hrs.

• @RedSkyLullaby said:
    Yikes looks like I’ll be lucky if it’s done in 18hrs.

But be forewarned that some apps data is not backed up with iCloud backups. If I recall correctly,Auria Pro doesn't back up its projects with iCloud backup. I'd be doubly careful with apps whose data is critical.

• Did it about a year ago. Not as much data as you but took a good 10 hours

• @SevenSystems said:
    That's equivalent to a speed of roughly 25 Mbit/s, so I wouldn't call that particularly slow... 😉

Heeh :smile:

But the Apps should not be saved, I think.
    Only pure data and configuration.

So, less than 200 GB

• @espiegel123 said:

@RedSkyLullaby said:

But be forewarned that some apps data is not backed up with iCloud backups. If I recall correctly,Auria Pro doesn't back up its projects with iCloud backup. I'd be doubly careful with apps whose data is critical.

Thanks for the tip I’ll backup Auria projects separately then

• @RedSkyLullaby said:

@espiegel123 said:

@RedSkyLullaby said:

Thanks for the tip I’ll backup Auria projects separately then

I would do this just to be safe with any apps that have a lot of data associated with them. I always assumed that all data gets backed up, but it seems like some apps for some reason aren’t included in the backups...and as far as I know there isn’t a way to find out which ones.

• AudioShare backs up data hopefully ?

• @jwmmakerofmusic said:
    It took my iPhone SE roughly 48 hours to back up 60gb before I could restore on my iPhone 11, so I'm surprised your says 11 hours to go on 200+gb. The wait really is excruciating, lol.

Did it take same amount of time to reload all back on to new device or that is bit quicker??

• @RedSkyLullaby said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:
    It took my iPhone SE roughly 48 hours to back up 60gb before I could restore on my iPhone 11, so I'm surprised your says 11 hours to go on 200+gb. The wait really is excruciating, lol.

Did it take same amount of time to reload all back on to new device or that is bit quicker??

Downloading usually goes quicker than uploading, so my iPhone 11 was ready in a couple hours. :)

• @jwmmakerofmusic said:

@RedSkyLullaby said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

Downloading usually goes quicker than uploading, so my iPhone 11 was ready in a couple hours. :)

Nice, thanks mate

• @RedSkyLullaby said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

@RedSkyLullaby said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

Nice, thanks mate

Absolutely. :)

• On my Mac mini (which now has a 256GB Apple SSD which I fitted, and forms a Fusion drive with the original 1TB in it) I started to put the iOS backups directory on an external 5TB drive over USB3. There’s articles out there on how to move the iOS backup directory (essentially, from memory, you copy it over manually and then make an alias/symlink to it from the original destination’s parent, using the terminal – check the articles). Recently I got a secondhand LaCie 3TB Thunderbolt so it’s now on that instead (remake the symlink). That even works properly with the newest macOS which does the iOS backup from what seems to be a normal finder window with fancy new content that looks like it used to on the old iTunes interface. I think it’s all quite a lot better now than things were back then.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • You know how an erase and restore is a normal trouble shooting procedure Apple suggests?

When I last did that on my 16GB iPhone SE, the software allowing iOS13 devices to connect to a computer wasn’t out yet, so I was stuck with iCloud backups. The restore took around 8 hours and I was a bit annoyed because it takes maybe an hour on the computer, but thought, ”ok phew, it’s done”.

But then it started installing the apps back onto the iPhone. After two days of that I got tired of having half a phone to work with and just deleted and reinstalled all the apps. I then calculated how long it would take to restore my 256GB iPad from an iCloud backup and it was around 4 days for the initial stage and apps would take several weeks.

Apple keeps pushing wireless for things that it just isn’t suited for.

• I have done a massive purge and going for a redo. Luckily a lot of my presets are built in to apps so I don’t have to worry about losing. Just want to make sure I don’t lose my Animoog presets

• @RedSkyLullaby said:
    AudioShare backs up data hopefully ?

Yep all your Audioshare stuff is safe. Have done this backup and restore to new device a few times and everything from all my apps survived the voyage.

AudioShare is always number one in the file size list and the app I was most paranoid about when doing this the first time around.

• Hopefully the new migration both wireless and wired with the CCK get added to iPad like they are on iPhone.

• @StudioES said:
    Oh boy. Years ago I managed backups in a big datacenter, & since then have committed to doing only manual backups for my personal devices, since it's less of a nightmare, though it takes a lot more time managing it all. (I used CopyTrans Apps & Shelbie on Windows & it was flawless, fast, & free).

Thanks @Stiksi :smiley: At least I now know what to expect. :cold_sweat:

Mind you, I live in Finland and usually that means cloud data comes from pretty far away. Google has a data centre in Finland but there’s no telling which data service Apple is using for my data so, worst case, it’s coming from the US via the underwater mainline.

• I ended up giving up on 200gb icloud backup. Did an ultimately healthy purge down to 40gb after updating to ios13 so I could save some stuff to external drive. Audioshare, animoog presets and defunct apps no longer in app store seem go have survived the restore to new device. Luckily noticed a screen pixel burnout issue just before warranty was up on my 2017 ipad pro so got a replacement

• Oh wow, iCloud is garbage.

As a test on my free account I uploaded a 1gig file and it absolutely flew via fibre, only took about a minute. So I thought 'great lets upgrade to the 200gig account and offload my BM3 sample library, should only take an hour or so'. A few hours later it stops and when I check the iCloud drive it didn't upload a damn thing but just created a folder structure with a whole whack of folders that say 'waiting to upload'.

Bye bye iCloud.

• I have an iCloud question.

Apple keeps messaging me incessantly that iCloud is not able to backup my iProducts because it is full. I have a free account, and have no plans to pay them to backup my pads since I purchased an external drive and back them up on my iPad with imazing.

However, I have one iPad that won't backup with imazing. I'd like to clear the existing data from icloud and back it up there.

Does anyone know how to clear the data from iCloud????

Thanks!