Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

NS2, fake MPE, Fractal Bits, Replicant2, Kronecker and iDensity

I used a kind of ‘fake MPE’ approach for this NS2 track. I created 6 instances of the same sample-based Obsidean patch. I then played notes into NS2 using an MPE controller (the ‘Aftertouch’ app) and routed the per note cc data around midi channels 1-6 - which mapped to each of the 6 Obsidean instances. The result is that each note of the court has its own individual per note filter and timbre modulation.

Let me know what you think. Could probably be taken a lot further. It’s just a first attempt.

Thanks @dendy for the help hooking it up :)

Comments

• edited November 2019

interesting, i'm not sure that i understand what exactly is there happening (i have zero experience with MPE:)

is main point of this that it distributes notes randomly (or in cyclic way) between those six channels as you play ? So basically you recorded all those 6 clips in one recording round ?

• edited November 2019

@dendy said:
    interesting, i'm not sure that i understand what exactly is there happening (i have zero experience with MPE:)

is main point of this that it distributes notes randomly (or in cyclic way) between those six channels as you play ? So basically you recorded all those 6 clips in one recording round ?

Yes that’s right. Notes get distributed cyclically between the 6 instances. The advantage is that you can, as you play, modulate each note’s filter and two other parameters (in the case of my example the amount of additional FM synth mix and the sample’s spectral mix) independently for each note (using key pressure, glide and slide on each note in my MPE keyboard app).

So it sounds like an MPE synth in that regard, despite being made from 6 Obsideans.

Then my other two tracks are ‘normal’ (Fractal Bits > Replicant2 and Kronecker > IDensity).

• edited November 2019

Interesting. Have to try this this, sounds cool, thanks for sharing :+1:

• edited November 2019

I had best results using this app called Aftertouch

https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/aftertouch-3d-midi-controller/id1133701231

on a phone with 3D Touch.

It lets you choose how many channels to cycle around.

Sadly, though, I can’t get MPE pitch on the ‘glide’ to work properly with it, because you can’t control the amount of pitch bend it sends. So instead I just set glide to control another midi cc parameter instead of pitch.

• edited November 2019

Sadly, though, I can’t get MPE pitch on the ‘glide’ to work properly with it, because you can’t control the amount of pitch bend it sends

Why you can't ? At obsidian side you can remove from mod matrix standard pitch weel -> osc all pitch coarse modulation, and use instead of it "pitch wheel -> glide time" modulation (if that is what you want to achieve) - "glide time" is under "Voice" section of modulation destinations in modmatrix

• @Matt_Fletcher_2000 : can’t comment on the MPE aspect, but I like your choice of synths/drums/sounds/results! I’m sort of hoping a deal on NS2 gets offered around Black Friday - the workflow looks cool.

• @Svetlovska said:
    @Matt_Fletcher_2000 : can’t comment on the MPE aspect, but I like your choice of synths/drums/sounds/results! I’m sort of hoping a deal on NS2 gets offered around Black Friday - the workflow looks cool.

Thanks very much.

NS2 is an amazing piece of software. I’d say just buy it if you can at all afford it :)

• edited November 2019

@dendy said:

Sadly, though, I can’t get MPE pitch on the ‘glide’ to work properly with it, because you can’t control the amount of pitch bend it sends

Why you can't ? At obsidian side you can remove from mod matrix standard pitch weel -> osc all pitch coarse modulation, and use instead of it "pitch wheel -> glide time" modulation (if that is what you want to achieve) - "glide time" is under "Voice" section of modulation destinations in modmatrix

So ‘glide time’ is portamento in NS2?

Mmm, might work. But then I’m modulating the amount of portamento? Rather than actually changing the pitch aren’t I?

The real problem is at the ‘Aftertouch’ app side where you can’t set the pitch bend range to 92 (which I believe is what MPE controllers like the ROLI hardware are normally set to). Ideally I’d be able to slide from one note to the next like on the Volt app keyboard.

I’m looking into ‘Velocity Keyboard’ as another possible option.

• I’ve taken this approach with my Roli Seaboard Block and also GeoShred as well. You basically just set it up so each sound source is it’s own channel and have the correct CCs etc. I have Aftertouch, but I think I got it on sale for a dollar or free and never used it.

For pitch bend you need to make sure the +/- is the same number as the “MPE” controller that you are using to send the pitch bend. So, for example with the Roli, it is at +/- 48 pitch bend and most iOS apps don’t go that far. So, I had to go in and set it to 12 or 24 in the editor. Some apps can only do +/- 2 and you’d have to set the Roli to that as well. It will not advance past 2 semitones, but it will be proper scaling. I’ve used it with several apps and even my Korg Kross 2. Just about anything you can have multiple instances of should work.

• So, for example with the Roli, it is at +/- 48 pitch bend and most iOS apps don’t go that far

Obsidian can go up to +/- 100