Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Waldorf Attack on latest iOS?

Anyone know if Waldorf Attack Drums still works on latest iOS, 13.2 (iPad OS)
And/or if it has any issues on 12.9 iPad Pros?

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/attack-drums/id956450390

Been on the fence for a while on this one — just about to give in and buy it if it’s still working well.

Comments

• Is there a recent store review and does the app description say it works?

Thread from a little more than a year ago

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/28265/waldorf-attack-anyone-still-recommend

• @audiblevideo said:
    Is there a recent store review and does the app description say it works?

Thread from a little more than a year ago

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/28265/waldorf-attack-anyone-still-recommend

the latest reviews or comments I’ve seen were around iOS 12 era. I’d assume it’s probably ok, but @ $20, it’s a bit of a gamble for me. I’ve had music apps that were fine in iOS 12 that I’m now having all manner of issues with in iPadOS.

• Don't know about the Pro's but it's still working as expected on my iPad Air 2, iOS13.2.2

• @Eschatone said:
    Anyone know if Waldorf Attack Drums still works on latest iOS, 13.2 (iPad OS)
    And/or if it has any issues on 12.9 iPad Pros?

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/attack-drums/id956450390

Been on the fence for a while on this one — just about to give in and buy it if it’s still working well.

Opens/loads/works fine on my 12.9/latest etc. Didn't give it an extensive test, but ran up a few songs I haven't touched in ages and was shamed by them that I have not visited in so long etc. I do love Attack, but it is the bookend to Cream Mobile; too brilliant for a schlub like me....

• @Samu said:
    Don't know about the Pro's but it's still working as expected on my iPad Air 2, iOS13.2.2

Thanks man. That’s all the assurance I needed, just now bit. So far so good on 12.9 :)

• @Eschatone said:

@Samu said:
    Don't know about the Pro's but it's still working as expected on my iPad Air 2, iOS13.2.2

Thanks man. That’s all the assurance I needed, just now bit. So far so good on 12.9 :)

I've stayed away from this impressive looking machine because of 'some' first impression bad review. That and I've got seekbeats, modrum, future rock funk mid afro brazilian soft drummer, ruismaker noir reg fm, pulse, digisticks, perfect...

Let me know if you find anything of note you can't do with others sonically. Or a vid ;)

• Had a quick go, been a while. Still sounds brilliant :)
    It never felt quite finished to it's full potential particularly with no remote automation (as far as I recall) and obviously no AU. But is definitely still worth the money if you can live with that.

• edited November 2019

@audiblevideo said:

@Eschatone said:

@Samu said:

I've stayed away from this impressive looking machine because of 'some' first impression bad review. That and I've got seekbeats, modrum, future rock funk mid afro brazilian soft drummer, ruismaker noir reg fm, pulse, digisticks, perfect...

Let me know if you find anything of note you can't do with others sonically. Or a vid ;)

it’s Waldorf, so top class pedigree there. The desktop VST it’s a port of, is a classic favorite of many big producers from what I’ve read about it in electronic music mags. Probably one of the best early (2001) drum synths on PC.

As for comparisons to other iOS drum machines — I have most of those (cept only two from Lumbeat collection, Future and Soft Drummer) .. The vocoder voice reminds me a bit of the one in iDS-10, though you can type in much longer phrases in Attack - entire lyric sheets if you want , some of the filters and drive algorithms remind me a little of those in Egoist and Factory.

seekbeats has always been a favorite of mine due to its versatility and FX mod system, so it’s probably one of the closest pure drum synth to it in terms of sound design potential. Attack stands on its own though, an extremely capable drum synth/melodic groove box. It’s deep and will take a while to learn all its capable of but I’m quite impressed from the hour I’ve spent in it.

• @Carnbot said:
    Had a quick go, been a while. Still sounds brilliant :)
    It never felt quite finished to it's full potential particularly with no remote automation (as far as I recall) and obviously no AU. But is definitely still worth the money if you can live with that.

If I had to decide again I would go for its ugly brother, Stroke Machine.
    Full MIDI CC mapping, more reverb and drive options, and an insanely powerful modulation system. I also prefer the more conventional piano roll.

• @rs2000 said:

@Carnbot said:
    Had a quick go, been a while. Still sounds brilliant :)

If I had to decide again I would go for its ugly brother, Stroke Machine.
    Full MIDI CC mapping, more reverb and drive options, and an insanely powerful modulation system. I also prefer the more conventional piano roll.

Yeah Stroke Machine has much better implementation and a similar engine. I used that much more. :)

• edited November 2019

i agree with rs2000 and carnbot. stroke machine is deep. i've never used waldorf attack on ios, but there was a time i used it a lot on a laptop. stroke machine can also be used as a module, driven by another sequencer, has
    sample import, and can fm samples with other samples (uncommon feature).

• Love the thing. I like Stroke machine also but Attack is really really good.

• Hi,

I'm working on an update for Waldorf Attack to support AudioBus 3. If you like to try a beta via TestFlight, please PM me your email.

Cheers!

• @Eschatone said:
    it’s Waldorf, so top class pedigree there. The desktop VST it’s a port of, is a classic favorite of many big producers from what I’ve read about it in electronic music mags. Probably one of the best early (2001) drum synths on PC.

That's interesting - I used to produce using the Attack VST on the PC in the early 2000s and I even released some (vinyl) records which used it!

I wonder if they've ported the whole thing properly and how well it works - in particular the MIDI implementation - as I'm looking for a different drum machine/synth which will work reliably over IDAM into Logic, now that we've established in this other thread that the Arturia iSpark doesn't work properly:

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/30837/artutia-ispark-no-updates-since-2years-ago/p1

• @Acetone said:

@Eschatone said:

That's interesting - I used to produce using the Attack VST on the PC in the early 2000s and I even released some (vinyl) records which used it!

I wonder if they've ported the whole thing properly and how well it works - in particular the MIDI implementation - as I'm looking for a different drum machine/synth which will work reliably over IDAM into Logic, now that we've established in this other thread that the Arturia iSpark doesn't work properly:

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/30837/artutia-ispark-no-updates-since-2years-ago/p1

Maybe you already own Stroke Machine? It's very similar to Attack, just different looks and better on the synthesis and modulation front.

• edited February 2020

@rs2000 said:
    Maybe you already own Stroke Machine? It's very similar to Attack, just different looks and better on the synthesis and modulation front.

Stroke Machine looks good but I think I'm barking up the wrong tree workflow-wise trying to use iPad drum machine apps over IDAM into Logic - I tried Attack last night and that was being problematic too - the only one that I've found that works really well is Funkbox, and that's pretty basic (sounds good though)

The Drum Machine Designer in Logic is great so I think it's going to be easier to use that for drums and stick to synthesizer apps over IDAM. I have some great iPad synths in my collection to provide some serious sonic firepower!

I'm off on holiday in a few weeks time so I'll be using Korg Gadget 2 on the iPad Pro to work up some new track ideas, and then import them back into Logic when I return...

If I use synth Gadgets that are also standalone Korg apps (iPolysix, iOdessei and others), then with any luck any automation I apply in Gadget would transfer across in the MIDI and control the synth in the same way over IDAM? Let's hope so... does anyone know anything about this?

• @Acetone said:

@rs2000 said:

Stroke Machine looks good but I think I'm barking up the wrong tree workflow-wise trying to use iPad drum machine apps over IDAM into Logic - I tried Attack last night and that was being problematic too - the only one that I've found that works really well is Funkbox, and that's pretty basic (sounds good though)

The Drum Machine Designer in Logic is great so I think it's going to be easier to use that for drums and stick to synthesizer apps over IDAM. I have some great iPad synths in my collection to provide some serious sonic firepower!

I'm off on holiday in a few weeks time so I'll be using Korg Gadget 2 on the iPad Pro to work up some new track ideas, and then import them back into Logic when I return. If I use synth Gadgets that are also standalone Korg apps (iPolysix, iOdessei and others), then with any luck any automation I apply in Gadget would transfer across in the MIDI and control the synth in the same way over IDAM? Let's hope so... does anyone know anything about this?

That was in fact the first thing I wondered about - Logic has a great collection of drum tools, drum samples and drum loops already.

If you're composing in Gadget (like me too), I'd rather mix down and export audio loops from Gadget to Logic. Much less hassle and you'll want to add audio processing in Logic anyway.

• It’s sad it never synced to anything. Sounds great but only good for standalone and stems.

• There's an update coming apparently for AB3 so hopefully that'll help.

• @philowerx said:
    It’s sad it never synced to anything. Sounds great but only good for standalone and stems.

Sure it does.

• @philowerx said:
    It’s sad it never synced to anything. Sounds great but only good for standalone and stems.

It's a really poor show from a company like Waldorf - 20 quid is lot for an app that doesn't work properly

@Carnbot said:
    There's an update coming apparently for AB3 so hopefully that'll help.

Well let's see if that ever arrives or fixes anything - I'm not holding my breath for an app that had major problems from the start, still has major problems and hasn't been updated for over 4 years.

It's such a pity cos the old PC VST version kicked like a mule! I guess they must've ballsed-up porting it over to iOS?

• I wish one of these could do multi-outs in Audiobus. That's the one thing I would like.

• So, I've tried to sync this with AUM but from reading above I do get a bit worried -- what have I invested in?
    I even tried to export stems but can't for the world find where it saves them. AudioCopy (I despise so much!!) is not working with the apps I have installed either. Not a very good buy and pretty upsetting to be honest.