Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Pathways - Nanostudio2

Pathways is a song starting at one point and then finding its way to the next through exploration. Music doesn't have to have a set path, it can be a process like anything else in life. I enjoyed finding the next moment by taking time off before moving to the next section and letting creativity have its way. There are many genre's lurking, so hopefully something in here will get your attention. Enjoy!

This song was created in Nanostudio2 on a 2017 iPad Pro 12.9

Comments

• You've described your own track very well. It kept me listening 'til the end, well done!
    I think that app limitations are no more an excuse not to write a great track :D

• Epic! Love it.
    It’s like a the “Cliff’s Notes” version of an entire album there. So much good stuff. Well done. B)

• Great performance @drez

• I enjoyed every second. Brilliant!

• Excellent, really enjoyed that!

• edited November 2019

Bu-bu-but audio tracks.lmao

Great job @drez Everytime I hear people moaning about what can’t be done in NS2 I’ll link them here.😂

• edited November 2019

• That was a fantastic journey. A pocket symphony. Excellent work @drez.

• Thanks for the kind words. This song was started way back in March :lol: I would work on it, then leave it, then come back and kind of shoehorn in whatever I was into at the time. I don't know how to make genre specific music and not sure I would enjoy doing that. The first 90sec is completely different than the rest of the song (Trent Reznor is my spirit animal). I think a lot of people I know probably stopped listening when all the distortion dropped in :lol: I was trying to reproduce the sounds of my absolute favorite desktop distortion plugin: Ohmicide. If NS2 ever get's AU FX automation, my life will be complete. I common thing I use is a source drum channel and then send that source channel to multiple channels to do parallel distortions and filtering. Its super easy in NS2.

I think all the synths/strings are Obsidian except this one little pluck part which is synthmaster, but I was too lazy to recreate it in Obsidian and I used a combo Obs/Ravencroft piano group. @dendy whoever made that DarkSyn lead patch that comes in at 3:50 is my hero. That thing sounds awesome. Running it through a couple of waveshapers to grit it up and a delay to give it movement. I :heart: that patch.

For a long time I was unable to get the IAP Obsidian strings to sound like I wanted, but I really needed to just tweak them a bit and they started to sound pretty good. Without subgroups for each type, it would be a lot more tedious, but NS2 really has the upperhand with groups in groups. I think i had like 12 different string tracks, but they were broke out into 4 sub groups which were then all grouped into a final string group. NS2 allows that and you can freely move stuff anywhere you want...just drag and drop them, reorder, etc. So nice. Getting a nice tonal balance and panning of the sections goes a long way. I automate the attack's a lot to simulate a more legato feel at parts without having to change or add more Obsidian instances with specific legato type strings. It doesn't work everywhere, but to give stuff a softer feel at points, it does the trick.

I never really use tempo changes in my stuff, but I used it a bunch in this one. I went from 130 to like 40 at parts :lol: That's a really nice tool to have especially with string sections to give different sections a retard to let things hang a bit. Super easy in NS2 and easy to tweak to get just right.

All in all, that was a fun piece to work on, but Grind really was problematic loading consistently and even preventing the project from saving. I hope it gets fixed becasue I love it, but I definitely won't use it anymore until that get's sussed out. Makes me sad inside :cry: . Several times I lost work because I'd go to save and it would just hang there. I got where I would save the patch I created in Grind, and then delete the instance, re-add it, load that patch and THEN save and it would work. But if I kept working for some amount of time it would get in a state where my project save in NS2 would just hang. Seems like a memory leak or something, but it was raining on my parade :lol:

• I like it.

Content all from NS2, or also other Apps?

• @tja said:
    I like it.

65 Channels
    237 NS2 native effect processors

3 Fabfilter Pro-MB
    3 Fabfilter Pro-Q3
    5 Fabfilter Pro-Q2
    1 Fabfilter Pro-L2
    1 Audio Damage Dubstation
    1 Audio Damage Discord 4
    1 Audio Damage EOS2
    1 Audio Damage Grind
    1 Audio Damage Fuzzplus 3
    1 Klevgrand Svep
    2 K-Devices Shaper
    1 FAC Transient
    1 Ravenscroft Piano
    1 SynthMaster
    4 Slates
    33 Obsidian

• @drez said:

@tja said:
    I like it.

65 Channels

3 Fabfilter Pro-MB
    3 Fabfilter Pro-Q3
    5 Fabfilter Pro-Q2
    1 Fabfilter Pro-L2
    1 Audio Damage Discord 4
    1 Audio Damage EOS2
    1 Audio Damage Grind
    1 Klevgrand Svep
    2 K-Devices Shaper
    1 FAC Transient
    1 Ravenscroft Piano
    1 SynthMaster
    4 Slates
    33 Obsidian

Do you think you could have gotten a pretty similar result using NS2 alone? I have to say it again - I was blown away by this! 😎

• @drez Game of Thrones in a club in space with stomping armies of certainty driving all before them etc. Impressive. Good work.

• @anickt said:

@drez said:

@tja said:
    I like it.

65 Channels

3 Fabfilter Pro-MB
    3 Fabfilter Pro-Q3
    5 Fabfilter Pro-Q2
    1 Fabfilter Pro-L2
    1 Audio Damage Discord 4
    1 Audio Damage EOS2
    1 Audio Damage Grind
    1 Klevgrand Svep
    2 K-Devices Shaper
    1 FAC Transient
    1 Ravenscroft Piano
    1 SynthMaster
    4 Slates
    33 Obsidian

Do you think you could have gotten a pretty similar result using NS2 alone? I have to say it again - I was blown away by this! 😎

I think I could get kinda close. I think the Fabfilter MultiBand and K-Devices Shaper are pretty unique. Well and obviously Ravenscroft I can’t match native. The rest just made it a lot easier to do instead of building more multichannel parallel setups within NS2 to accomplish the same thing. That said, I still used 240 native devices be they compressors, filters, eq’s, reverbs, delays, etc. It was far and away mostly NS2 native.

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:
    @drez Game of Thrones in a club in space with stomping armies of certainty driving all before them etc. Impressive. Good work.

Ha! It’s definitely all over the place. The first half is definitely a kick to the face.