Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Auditor - Audio Editor by Living Memory Software

https://apps.apple.com/app/id1248284381

Description:

A fast, modern and efficient audio editor for the iPad touch screen providing many features for rapidly chopping, blending and editing audio files, taking full advantage of the latest advances in iOS.

• Extremely simple import and export directly to and from any location in the Files environment.
• Import and export to and from many file formats.
• Macro based multi-file batch format and rate conversion direct from the file browser.
• Single file and region based multi-layer editing modes with mixable bouncing to new layers.
• Loop tools for creating crossfade loops and (planned for a near future release) tools for slicing and stretching.
• Full multi-step undo.
• Rapid and efficient locating, scrolling and zooming.
• Customizable Tool Bar and Transport Bar, (choose which editing functions you want available on buttons).
• A simple record function with support for hardware inputs from attached audio interfaces.
• Light and dark colour themes.
•Split screen and Drag & Drop compatibility.

Comments

• I think I might need to get this. Wonder if you can export directly to soundcloud from it.

• edited November 2019

Okay. We need an audio editor shootout. Twisted Wave vs. Hokusai vs. this one.

• Can it do live audio in via AU ?

• I’m not sure what this gives me over say Auria Pro or Cubasis2. I like it has drag and drop though but not sure I would get much use out of it.

• I like the look of this App, seems to be comfortable.
    Having looked into the PDF, this seems confirmed - and they seem to have done a very good job on the PDF.

Taking both things into account, I'm jumping in to support it!

• For sound design, effecting, Twisted Wave obviously rules the roost — but Auditor I’m finding to be best for efficient slicing/editing. Probably the best touch screen mechanics for simple edits I’ve experienced in an audio app.,

still hoping to eventually have one powerhouse iOS editor, with all the features/AU hosting of twisted wave, multiple layers and slick editing of Auditor, with Audacity-like automation.

• If NS2 could stem out to this that would be cool.

• wimwim
    edited November 2019

It had me at the option for Bars/Beat/Ticks in the ruler and has snap. Winner!!

And layers? Cool beans.

Not universal though. Oh well.

• @mjcouche said:

I think it's better to wait until GoldWave drops.
    Initial impressions are quite ok, and I've shared some of my 'findings' with the dev...

• @Samu said:

@mjcouche said:

I think it's better to wait until GoldWave drops.
    Initial impressions are quite ok, and I've shared some of my 'findings' with the dev...

GoldWave? :o

What, where, when, which, who, why?
    :)

• I don’t like this at all. Hard to read, and not really designed for touch at all.

• Am I missing something here? I wanted to use it, in part, for the AU, so that it can play samples in sync with the beat, plus a few extra options not available in AUM's stock file player. On this basis I bought it, but I can't find a way to shift the time so it plays at the tempo of the original sample loop, which is useless and far less sophisticated than AUM's stock player. It seems like a big missed opportunity - things like transient slicing were what I was looking forward to, but all this app seems to do is literally allow you to load samples and cut/paste, etc. Am I right? I want to like it - it looks nice and does what it does well, but it just doesn't seem to do much, not even the basics.

• @tja said:

GoldWave? :o

What, where, when, which, who, why?
    :)

For GoldWave there's a public TestFlight link for GoldWave on their FB page.
    https://testflight.apple.com/join/U79sV1RQ
    (Don't know how many thy accept or if it's still possible to apply, it hurts my eyes though).

As for Auditor. It's mostly issue when playing back files with loop on...
    (For example if you have a Bass sample and want to add a loop to it, it's currently next to impossible to play the sound from start and make it loop as playback starts some arbitrary time before the loop).

I'll keep Auditor on my device and see how it improves over time :)

• Uh oh, I think mentioning future features in the store description is a no no. NS2 had to remove theirs.

• @audio_DT said:
    Am I missing something here? I wanted to use it, in part, for the AU, so that it can play samples in sync with the beat, plus a few extra options not available in AUM's stock file player. On this basis I bought it, but I can't find a way to shift the time so it plays at the tempo of the original sample loop, which is useless and far less sophisticated than AUM's stock player. It seems like a big missed opportunity - things like transient slicing were what I was looking forward to, but all this app seems to do is literally allow you to load samples and cut/paste, etc. Am I right? I want to like it - it looks nice and does what it does well, but it just doesn't seem to do much, not even the basics.

Edit: I didn't mean shift the time so that it plays at the pace of the original. I just mean it won't sync with the host, even though it says it is doing.

• @audio_DT said:

@audio_DT said:
    Am I missing something here? I wanted to use it, in part, for the AU, so that it can play samples in sync with the beat, plus a few extra options not available in AUM's stock file player. On this basis I bought it, but I can't find a way to shift the time so it plays at the tempo of the original sample loop, which is useless and far less sophisticated than AUM's stock player. It seems like a big missed opportunity - things like transient slicing were what I was looking forward to, but all this app seems to do is literally allow you to load samples and cut/paste, etc. Am I right? I want to like it - it looks nice and does what it does well, but it just doesn't seem to do much, not even the basics.

Edit: I didn't mean shift the time so that it plays at the pace of the original. I just mean it won't sync with the host, even though it says it is doing.

I recommend that you contact @LivingMemorySoftware via their web site. It could be a bug and if not, Andy listens to his users.

• @wim said:

And layers? Cool beans.

@wim: I haven't spent much time with Auditor -- I have high hopes for it as the dev is top notch and conscientious. I couldn't find a way to restrict selections to beat division or set the granularity of the tick marks in BPM mode. Have I overlooked something?

• @espiegel123 said:

@audio_DT said:

@audio_DT said:

I recommend that you contact @LivingMemorySoftware via their web site. It could be a bug and if not, Andy listens to his users.

I'm not sure if it's just be not grasping what the app does and doesn't do, tbh. I'll wait for others to chime in because I'm not sure I'm really grasping the 'file player' bit of the app yet. As it stands, my understanding is that it doesn't sync to tempo, but this just seems like it would be really weird and pointless, so I'm hopeful someone will tell me I'm doing something wrong :smile:

• @espiegel123 said:

@wim: I haven't spent much time with Auditor -- I have high hopes for it as the dev is top notch and conscientious. I couldn't find a way to restrict selections to beat division or set the granularity of the tick marks in BPM mode. Have I overlooked something?

Currently it snaps to at least beats when bars/beats is selected for the ruler.
    I've not dug in super deep yet but I think it's possible to somehow auto detect the tempo too based on file length (ie. select how many beats the length is).

Still getting adjusted to the UI. (I find TwistedWave to be a bit more 'fluid/intuitive' when it comes to editing).

• wimwim
    edited November 2019

@espiegel123 said:

@wim said:

And layers? Cool beans.

When you move the selection close to a beat it sort of jumps and sticks there. It seems to only snap to beats. Which is fine for me.

• edited November 2019

cool it’s here. i like the idea of being able to quickly make loops that are snapped to the grid. a few things though. @LivingMemorySoftware
    1.excited for the time stretching option coming soon( how soon)
    2. also, can it sit in the effects channel of Aum and record into it?
    3. can it continually play a loop that can sync up with Aum clock? essentially ios. it as a looping machine
    looks cool but still on the fence
    4. will it eventually be universal?

• wimwim
    edited November 2019

It will calculate bpm if you make a selection of a known number of bars first. Some may wish it was more automatic than that, but I prefer it this way. I’ve never found bpm detection algorithms to be very reliable myself.

• @Samu said:

@espiegel123 said:

Currently it snaps to at least beats when bars/beats is selected for the ruler.
    I've not dug in super deep yet but I think it's possible to somehow auto detect the tempo too based on file length (ie. select how many beats the length is).

Still getting adjusted to the UI. (I find TwistedWave to be a bit more 'fluid/intuitive' when it comes to editing).

The tempo-guess is a nice feature. If you make a selection, you can tell Auditor how many beats the selection represents and it will calculate the BPM from that. That is super handy for me. As I recently snipped out a bunch of loops from favorite recordings and have been finding it tedious to find the tempo. This makes it a snap.

• @audio_DT said:

@espiegel123 said:

@audio_DT said:

@audio_DT said:

I'm not sure if it's just be not grasping what the app does and doesn't do, tbh. I'll wait for others to chime in because I'm not sure I'm really grasping the 'file player' bit of the app yet. As it stands, my understanding is that it doesn't sync to tempo, but this just seems like it would be really weird and pointless, so I'm hopeful someone will tell me I'm doing something wrong :smile:

It appears that the File player doesn't do time stretching at the moment. I don't know if they plan on implementing it, but it is worth and email to them to request it.

• @wim said:
    It will calculate bpm if you make a selection of a known number of bars first. Some may wish it was more automatic than that, but I prefer it this way. I’ve never found bpm detection algorithms to be very reliable myself.

Yes, this is how I like it too.

• I usually export my audio to the desktop and finish off in Soundforge. This app looks like it has a nice UI and could do the trimming/fade/merge job, but doesn't seem to do a great deal else. Need to see a demo I guess.

• @espiegel123 said:

@wim said:

Yes, this is how I like it too.

That time stretching approach works in the standalone app but u can’t get it working in AU. This renders it more or less useless for my purposes. I can’t fathom the ‘gap’ this app fulfils at the moment, which is a great shame because the UI is really slick.

• tjatja
    edited November 2019

Thanks, @Samu

A "Thanks" button for postings would be great!

• edited November 2019

@MonzoPro said:
    I usually export my audio to the desktop and finish off in Soundforge. This app looks like it has a nice UI and could do the trimming/fade/merge job, but doesn't seem to do a great deal else. Need to see a demo I guess.

Someday my Prince will come...