Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

New Bedhead Producer Tutorial,Using Reslice To Mangle/flip your loops

I go through the process exactly the same way when I'm creating new loops for my upcoming sample pack. This should really demystify how to use this killer app for some really cool sounding rhythmic loops/samples. This is just one way that I flip samples and I'll continue to show different ways in my next tutorial as well....basically how you can create many loops out of any loop.

Comments

• Sorry. I haven' had a chance to watch this yet but it has rolled off the front page without a comment and that's just rude. So, I will watch and comment ASAP. I bought ReSlice and really need to understand what it can do for me. I just haven't learned loop assembly but it's obvious to me why it has to be a simple way to structure music quickly with on the nose genre detailing... So, maybe this will get me to actually use the loop-based apps I own like
    ZenBeats, BeatHawk and the can't be beat ZenHawk (Beat-less loops?).

• Reslice seems to be great for anyone working in an AU host or not willing to use a desktop app to create REX loops for use in Gadget.
    Seems like it does the job (although I wouldn't want to miss the filters, LFOs, modulation facilities and lossless file compression in Stockholm).

@McD The human eye does not seem to be good at spotting new front page headlines, I cannot even remember that I've seen this title.
    Do we always look for the known first?

• @rs2000 said:
    @McD The human eye does not seem to be good at spotting new front page headlines, I cannot even remember that I've seen this title.

Not sure. I have literally started scanning the first 5 pages of threads with a browser search for "0 Comments" to see if something raced by in the flood of (re)posted threads like:

"NanoStudio is FREE!" from 2015. Too many titles are just inaccurate without catching the "Created Date" detail but people dig them up to avoid making a new title. Forum's have some strange behaviors and this Zombie thread pattern is on my pet peeve list. Much better to dig up real news that didn't get flagged or recognized by anyone. I'm sure they got read but the life of an uncommented thread is about 4 hours then it rolls away unless someone finds it and comments. I found a guitar demo from @flo26 on the 3rd page recently. Sometimes one comment brings this other type of Zombie back to life after 4+ hours.

• Thanks to @bedheadproducer for the video. Worth sticking with though should contain a warning that it could induce a heavy bout of toxic recall!! With respect!

• I listened to the video and it woke my dead father who yelled at me "Turn that damn noise DOWN and go to bed." I always wondered how some bands got that glitch-ey high speed
    sound... you really know your music production tech. Time for bed.

• @rs2000 said:
    Reslice seems to be great for anyone working in an AU host or not willing to use a desktop app to create REX loops for use in Gadget.
    Seems like it does the job (although I wouldn't want to miss the filters, LFOs, modulation facilities and lossless file compression in Stockholm).

How to make make ReX files and the joy of messing with loops in Stockholm is one of my next tutorials :)

• @bedheadproducer said:

@rs2000 said:
    Reslice seems to be great for anyone working in an AU host or not willing to use a desktop app to create REX loops for use in Gadget.

How to make make ReX files and the joy of messing with loops in Stockholm is one of my next tutorials :)

That's a good thing! I guess the mixed success of Stockholm is partly due to people trying to avoid creating their own REX files and indeed it's a laborious process, especially because the automatically set slice markers often require manual fine-tuning to avoid clicks at the end of slices.
    But to me it's one of the most fun ways to not only slice up stuff but also to add some organic fresh taste to the menu.

• @rs2000 said:

@bedheadproducer said:

@rs2000 said:

That's a good thing! I guess the mixed success of Stockholm is partly due to people trying to avoid creating their own REX files and indeed it's a laborious process, especially because the automatically set slice markers often require manual fine-tuning to avoid clicks at the end of slices.
    But to me it's one of the most fun ways to not only slice up stuff but also to add some organic fresh taste to the menu.

Unfortunately the only way I know to make these files is on a PC using recycle. ...or if you own reason.

• edited November 2019

@bedheadproducer said:

@rs2000 said:

@bedheadproducer said:

@rs2000 said:

Unfortunately the only way I know to make these files is on a PC using recycle. ...or if you own reason.

Yeah, I guess that's about it. Theoretically one could use Recycle to compress the audio and write custom software to detect slices more precisely, then use a 3rd party utility like Chicken Systems Translator to add custom slices to the RX2 file but I have never felt like spending the time to develop a better algorithm than the one in ReCycle.
    I'm doing the edits by demand only so for me it's not a big deal.
    And there's already plenty of ready-made material available on the net, both free and commercial.

• @rs2000 said:

@bedheadproducer said:

@rs2000 said:

@bedheadproducer said:

@rs2000 said:

Yeah, I guess that's about it. Theoretically one could use Recycle to compress the audio and write custom software to detect slices more precisely, then use a 3rd party utility like Chicken Systems Translator to add custom slices to the RX2 file but I have never felt like spending the time to develop a better algorithm than the one in ReCycle.
    I'm doing the edits by demand only so for me it's not a big deal.
    And there's already plenty of ready-made material available on the net, both free and commercial.

Well Rex files aren’t smaller than wave files and the audio is less degraded than other slicing algorithms. I wonder if they would be will to license their code to port it to IOS . They really should port reason to iOS ... that could put them on the map again . They probably have taken a huge hit due to the proliferation of live and fruity loops . Sony Acid used to be cool too... they started the whole looping DAW thing I believe . REx loops are arguably one of the greatest inventions in modern audio sampling. Everyone copies the slicing concept but their algorithm is still the best to this day . (IMHO). It’s only a matter of time before the iOS platform is deemed as viable as the desktop platforms , since most people don’t even realize the horsepower they are carrying around and more people now use smartphones and tablet to access the net than computers . I will probably never own a laptop again after this last operating system update to my IPAD . My iPad has already outlasted most laptops I’ve had in durability and it’s way more portable . I never leave home without it ... period . So maybe it’s starting to be time to finally port all the cool stuff over . This is after all the last software market that has huge room for growth and isn’t over saturated or monopolized by big companies like Adobe , only because without realizing what their phones and iPads can do , people aren’t going to demand the same type of functionality they get from comprehensive desktop software that is in its 20th plus version by now . But that won’t stay like this forever . I for one am consistently blowing peoples minds every time I show off what my iPad can do . And every single person I show that didn’t know things like geoshred or playground exists , are now in the warpath to get an iPad or they have an iPhone and rush to download/ purchase whatever I show them . When the whole world figured it out ... we will have a new generation of kids who don’t have the price barrier that has prohibited them from learning to produce music on desktops and the world will have more young new musicians ( using IOS because is way less cost prohibitive and portable , than any of use who grew up with e guitar , bass or synths . These devices are not only computers but the newest instruments mankind has created and will outsell guitars , keys and drums based on their portability alone . ( I believe )

• @bedheadproducer said:
    Well Rex files aren’t smaller than wave files

Yes they are. They are compressed using a proprietary lossless audio compression developed by the Propellerheads, roughly comparable to FLAC efficiency.

and the audio is less degraded than other slicing algorithms.

Lossless compression means no degradation at all. You get what you load (with the usual format limitations of course).

I wonder if they would be will to license their code to port it to IOS . They really should port reason to iOS ... that could put them on the map again . They probably have taken a huge hit due to the proliferation of live and fruity loops . Sony Acid used to be cool too... they started the whole looping DAW thing I believe . REx loops are arguably one of the greatest inventions in modern audio sampling. Everyone copies the slicing concept but their algorithm is still the best to this day . (IMHO).

Oh my, I wondered so often about their politics regarding iOS. Sure, they want to serve the mass market first (and pull people into making music by providing simplistic apps like they've done with Figure and now "Reason") but to some extent I can understand why they don't do it yet as long as the majority of serious musicians are still using desktop OS.
    Things are changing though and I guess we won't have to wait too long until the music making power becomes comparable to desktop apps.
    Apps like miRack, Beatmaker 3, Nanostudio 2, Cubasis, Groove Rider, Gadget, the many great synths and more and more great FX help in getting over the fairly restricted iOS ecosystem.

The iPad app user experience is often much better already, so today I only go back to desktop for better sounds, better editing and even more powerful synths, in case I need them.

Like you said, portability is a big pro.

• @rs2000 said:

@bedheadproducer said:
    Well Rex files aren’t smaller than wave files

Yes they are. They are compressed using a proprietary lossless audio compression developed by the Propellerheads, roughly comparable to FLAC efficiency.

and the audio is less degraded than other slicing algorithms.

Lossless compression means no degradation at all. You get what you load (with the usual format limitations of course).

I wonder if they would be will to license their code to port it to IOS . They really should port reason to iOS ... that could put them on the map again . They probably have taken a huge hit due to the proliferation of live and fruity loops . Sony Acid used to be cool too... they started the whole looping DAW thing I believe . REx loops are arguably one of the greatest inventions in modern audio sampling. Everyone copies the slicing concept but their algorithm is still the best to this day . (IMHO).

Oh my, I wondered so often about their politics regarding iOS. Sure, they want to serve the mass market first (and pull people into making music by providing simplistic apps like they've done with Figure and now "Reason") but to some extent I can understand why they don't do it yet as long as the majority of serious musicians are still using desktop OS.
    Things are changing though and I guess we won't have to wait too long until the music making power becomes comparable to desktop apps.
    Apps like miRack, Beatmaker 3, Nanostudio 2, Cubasis, Groove Rider, Gadget, the many great synths and more and more great FX help in getting over the fairly restricted iOS ecosystem.

The iPad app user experience is often much better already, so today I only go back to desktop for better sounds, better editing and even more powerful synths, in case I need them.

Like you said, portability is a big pro.

I didn't realize their compression was lossless...thanks for the education! You seem to know your stuff pretty well...better than I do, but then again, I'm relatively a newbie round these here parts...lol
    you know it's funny, when I arrived here about a year ago, there were people here that had been flying the IOS music flag for 4 or 5 years already and many were disillusioned because the new revolution was supposed to be much further along and a lot lest buggy. In that year I watched things become viable and quite usable, so I don't have the cynicism and worn out patience some do.

But I do have a mountain of learning still ahead of me, even though I watch tutorials and try to implement what I learn and try new ways to work with all the plugins and DAWS daily. (my regimen for over a year now)

To me the new revolution of portability in music production is largely inevitable and the biggest part of this to me isn't even the tech, it's that the price barrier of entry is finally small enough that kids can afford it....and by kids, I mean by comparison to me, not actual children, who also ,in many cases, have parents that can afford to set up their kid to become a producer now, for cheaper than the roughly $1500-$3000 one needs to have a good desktop, software, controllers and studio monitors, mics and headphones.
    like you I haven't given up my desktops yet either. There are just too many great innovations there I'm not yet willing to give up,
    but I believe within 5 years, I won't have to and most stuff will be ported over, not to mention the new innovations that will be IOS only.

• @bedheadproducer
    That's true, and today it's more a question of how deep you want to go. A desktop machine is still necessary for some organizing, converting, preparing files and tools that are not yet available on iOS.
    But still, iOS already has everything to produce great tracks as long as you're willing to approach things in a different way at times.

I would like to give anyone new to iOS one important recommendation:
    Pick your apps wisely. And stay with whatever you choose for quite a while. Soon enough, buying new apps won't help you make better music but get distracted with solving issues you won't have when you focus on getting things done, music-wise.
    One needs so little to make great music!

• Just bumping and saying hi, Marc. I have absolutely no interest in this one, unfortunately 😘

• @LinearLineman said:
    Just bumping and saying hi, Marc. I have absolutely no interest in this one, unfortunately 😘

well ... here you go

I made an addendum to show how cool reslice is for also making endlessless changing beats, especially middle eastern and tribal.
    BTW, I'll finally have time to work on that tune tonight.