Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Groovebox fun tip

I’ve been having a lot of fun with this so I just wanted to share it for those who haven’t tried it who might want to give it a go.
Load up Groovebox with several random patterns.
Then go to the editor and remove a lot of the notes. Try first say removing every second bar on the first synth- then on the second synth remove the odd numbered bars and leave just a couple of notes in on the even ones. On the third synth maybe listen to the whole thing and remove all the notes anywhere except the ones you like the sound of.
By experimenting like this you can get some really nice grooves going. This is my idea of subtractive synthesis 🤗 You can even do it with the drums as well.
If you are feeling confident and creative- you can experiment by maybe even adding a note or two of your own 😲 😀

Comments

• edited March 2019

@robosardine said:
    I’ve been having a lot of fun with this so I just wanted to share it for those who haven’t tried it who might want to give it a go.
    Then go to the editor and remove a lot of the notes. Try first say removing every second bar on the first synth- then on the second synth remove the odd numbered bars and leave just a couple of notes in on the even ones. On the third synth maybe listen to the whole thing and remove all the notes anywhere except the ones you like the sound of.
    By experimenting like this you can get some really nice grooves going. This is my idea of subtractive synthesis 🤗 You can even do it with the drums as well.
    If you are feeling confident and creative- you can experiment by maybe even adding a note or two of your own 😲 😀

Brilliant. Completely changes my afternoon's plans :) When you load up lots of different stuff are you using the exact same patch?

• @robosardine said:

I actually use this approach with hardware into Ableton and vice versa.

As far as midi patterns and ideas.

Usually layering instruments (hardware/software) with similar yet offset type patterns giving a polyrhtym illusion.

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@robosardine said:

Brilliant. Completely changes my afternoon's plans :) When you load up lots of different stuff are you using the exact same patch?

I usually I have different patches on each synth- but it would work with the same patch with a bit of tweaking- it’s all just experimenting. It’s also fun just getting the groove going with the synths then tapping the random button on the drums- which can change the whole dynamic 🙂

• @robosardine said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@robosardine said:

I usually I have different patches on each synth- but it would work with the same patch with a bit of tweaking- it’s all just experimenting. It’s also fun just getting the groove going with the synths then tapping the random button on the drums- which can change the whole dynamic 🙂

Am upto my elbows in lots of fun; thank you!

• @robosardine The ONLY thing that chafes what's left of my school dinner about this is that it really highlights how assinine (with emphasis on the mispelled ass) it is that this app offers no panning. Can only be a choice, but what the hell are they thinking?

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:
    @robosardine The ONLY thing that chafes what's left of my school dinner about this is that it really highlights how assinine (with emphasis on the mispelled ass) it is that this app offers no panning. Can only be a choice, but what the hell are they thinking?

I’m glad you’re enjoying it!
    In relation to the panning- I come to terms with it by thinking along the lines that most clubs will play with a mono feed- and techno/ EDM is my sort of thing, so when I look at it this way it’s not so bad 😀

• What I like to do is copy patterns from Poly to the mono synths and vice versa and then record over them via the keyboard and see what happens. Also some gratuitous lfo action can easily chop things up. If you’re just going wild, why bother with the piano roll? Personally I never touch it

• thanks for the tip robosardine

• edited March 2019

@db909 said:
    What I like to do is copy patterns from Poly to the mono synths and vice versa and then record over them via the keyboard and see what happens. Also some gratuitous lfo action can easily chop things up. If you’re just going wild, why bother with the piano roll? Personally I never touch it

Interesting thoughts. I DO like rosbif's idea though of editing out. You begin in the maelstrom and pare down....

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@db909 said:
    What I like to do is copy patterns from Poly to the mono synths and vice versa and then record over them via the keyboard and see what happens. Also some gratuitous lfo action can easily chop things up. If you’re just going wild, why bother with the piano roll? Personally I never touch it

Interesting thoughts. I DO like rosbif's idea though of editing out. You begin in the maelstrom and pare down....

Always!

• Hey everyone,

We've actually made some exciting changes to the pattern editor in this release if anyone hasn't spotted them already:

Best wishes
    Beth

• edited November 2019

@AmpifyxNovation Really like the changes. Nice work.
    Now that I’ve used it a bit you know what this new view is screaming for. An Automation lane beneath the step sequencer lane that allows us to see what we’ve automated via the instrument controls...and allows us to fine tune the automation. 👊🏼™️

Great work team.

• @echoopera said:
    Now that I’ve used it a bit you know what this new view is screaming for. An Automation lane beneath the step sequencer lane that allows us to see what we’ve automated via the instrument controls...and allows us to fine tune the automation. 👊🏼™️

Great work team.

I agree 100%

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:
    @robosardine The ONLY thing that chafes what's left of my school dinner about this is that it really highlights how assinine (with emphasis on the mispelled ass) it is that this app offers no panning. Can only be a choice, but what the hell are they thinking?

You know you can pan individual drums in each drum kit. Not the same, but it's something at least....

• edited November 2019

@echoopera said:

Great work team.

Is there automation now? That was the final thing missing for me that would make this the best groovebox on iOS. (I don't really care much about being able to edit automation after the fact, it would be nice though.)