Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

RhythmBud - AUv3 MIDI FX by Cem Olcay

https://apps.apple.com/app/id1484320891

Description:

RhythmBud is a MIDI effect application that would transform incoming MIDI messages into the rhythmic pattern you will create on its editor. Supports AUv3 Audio Unit plugin, Audiobus, Inter-App Audio (IAA), Ableton Link and Core MIDI (Standalone).

It sits between a MIDI sender (external hardware or any MIDI controller/sequencer app) and a MIDI receiver (any audio app or external hardware). As long as you connect its MIDI input and output you are good to go.

It has a pretty easy-to-use timeline editor, where you can create rhythm patterns. You may add different effects for your every pattern by tapping them on the timeline, such as strumming effects, arpeggios, transposition, velocity manipulation, ratchets and so on.

When you are ready, press the play button and start the RhythmBud engine. As long as it receives MIDI notes, it will generate your rhythm pattern and send it to your assigned MIDI output port. Even if you change the playing note/chord, it will adapt instantly!

It has a neat feature called “Snapshots” where you can save the current RhythmBud configuration instantly and come back later. You may also control your snapshots via MIDI CC messages or Audio Unit Parameters. You can create a whole song with that feature in your project. It also supports “User Presets” in AUv3 mode.

Another great feature is the “Record Mode” where you can record a pattern by tapping the toolbar—like clapping your hands or snapping your fingers for creating a rhythm pattern! Press the “Done” button when you are done.

If you are not happy, you can always undo/redo your actions as well. You can also quantize your pattern on different timing levels. If you want to clear everything and start over again, just press the clear button.

RhythmBud is using the open-source AudioKit framework under the hood. Also, it offers some other open-source frameworks as well. Check them out on GitHub!

AudioKit: https://github.com/AudioKit/AudioKit
MusicTheorySwift: https://github.com/cemolcay/MusicTheory
MIDIEventKit: https://github.com/cemolcay/MIDIEventKit
RBEditorViewController: https://github.com/cemolcay/RBEditorViewController

*** Disclaimer: This is not an audio app! It does not generate audio. This is a MIDI effect app that needs both MIDI input and MIDI output routing. It does not transform the MIDI until you creating a pattern and pressing the play button.

Comments

• Thanks for the post @White ! Taking a look now.

• How is it!!!

• This is a very clever app. It is a kind of midi sequencer where the rythme part is enhanced. It is possible to mix sequence and arp. You can save and recall snapshots to create huge variations. A really really good and innovative app!

• Got
    To
    Have
    This
    Now

• I’ve read the description 3 times and still can’t work out what it does 🤷‍♂️

• @White said:

Got it! Thx ☺️

• Another feature to mention is the possibility to "tap" and record your rythme. Very powerful and creative

• Does this also support 'step input' or 'recording only'?
    I'll get it later but just want to know a bit in advance...

• @Samu said:
    Does this also support 'step input' or 'recording only'?
    I'll get it later but just want to know a bit in advance...

The steps can be entered directly in the app. For each step you can configure the duration, arp, strum, ratchet, velocity, transpose.

There is no possibility, as far as I have seen, to use an external keyboard to set these steps if this is your question. But I really don't think this is a problem

• @cuscolima said:

There is no possibility, as far as I have seen, to use an external keyboard to set these steps if this is your question. But I really don't think this is a problem

I recall in the earlier demo videos of the app the rhythm was 'played/recorded' and it was also possible to quantize the steps?
    Meaning I can 'tap in the rhythm/steps' and then the incoming notes the get mapped to the steps during playback.

Oh well, I'll end up getting this in the afternoon or something...
    (Or maybe wait for Dougs video this time around hehe).

• There doesn’t seem to be a way to edit a rhythm- I’m sure there must be a way to add or delete individual steps but I can’t find it.

• @BiancaNeve said:
    There doesn’t seem to be a way to edit a rhythm- I’m sure there must be a way to add or delete individual steps but I can’t find it.

You can delete a single step by long press it, you can quantize the steps, move or increase and reduce them. You can also recording new steps in the sequence.

• Any chance of a video walkthrough and/or a manual?
    I just bought it, tried it out and immediately got lost. When you tap the various modes before you actually put anything in, each mode gives you options, but then once you've started and you go to any mode it just says e.g. "Edit ratchet. Select a rhythm." Then you tap the rhythm tab, randomly poke a few options, and it doesn't make any difference to the sounds coming out. (For what it's worth I was running it between Fugue Machine, with varying numbers of playheads, and BS-16i.)
    Clearly I'm missing something - I think it's the manual. Or a brain maybe.

• edited November 2019

@Tim said:
    Any chance of a video walkthrough and/or a manual?
    I just bought it, tried it out and immediately got lost. When you tap the various modes before you actually put anything in, each mode gives you options, but then once you've started and you go to any mode it just says e.g. "Edit ratchet. Select a rhythm." Then you tap the rhythm tab, randomly poke a few options, and it doesn't make any difference to the sounds coming out. (For what it's worth I was running it between Fugue Machine, with varying numbers of playheads, and BS-16i.)
    Clearly I'm missing something - I think it's the manual. Or a brain maybe.

to generate a rhythm you have to tap with a finger on the big gray strip at the bottom. A short press generates a short beat, a long press generates a longer one. Then, by selecting one of the beats formed in the sequencer, you can choose the type of mode to use.

• How is step bud hooked up to it,... In that video... Just aum simple wiring!?

• edited November 2019

@Tim , you can do the tutorial on the standalone application. Other than that, I have 3 videos on youtube, they shared in a post above. There are two options for adding rhythms to your pattern.

1) Add Rhythm Mode
    * Select the Rhythm mode and put rhythms or rests in your desired duration.
    * You can put the double whole, whole, half, quarter, 8th, 16th, 32nd or 64th notes or rests in
    * normal/dotted/triple/quadruple values.
    * If you select a rhythm (represented by blue cells on the timeline) you may edit their duration from the toolbar in the rhythm mode.
    * Of course, you can move them by dragging from their middle or resize them by dragging them from their right edge.
    * Long press on them if you want to delete them; a menu will popup with a delete option.
    * You can also quantize the whole pattern on different time levels.

2) Record Mode
    * Select the record mode.
    * Start tapping the toolbar in a "rhythm"
    * Like clapping your hands or snapping your fingers or tapping your foot etc.
    * When you are done, press the "Done" button on the toolbar.

You can mix up two methods as well. You can move around the "range head" on the measure of the timeline. Your recording will start from the range head's position. Also, newly added rhythms in "rhythm mode" starts from the range head's position as well.

I hope this would make sense and helpful. I tried to explain this workflow in the tutorial mode. Once you got the idea, it's really easy to create patterns on the editor.

@reasOne, StepBud and ScaleBud working great with RhythmBud! Just route their MIDI Output to the RhythmBud's MIDI input. Of course, you can do that for any kind of MIDI sequencer/controller app (or even hardware) :smile:

• @cem_olcay Congrats on the release! Really loving the strum + ratchets.. just one quick question.
    If you start to move around the range head, is there a way to lock that into a bar line or to quantize it to some value? It gets a bit strange when you’ve got something else looping and this is off by just a bit.. especially when your last step ends up being a rest before it loops around again. It works great if you just use the predetermined rhythms but can go wonky when you start to move things around and adjust the size of a rhythm step.. the length and position of the rhythm step seems to be completely free then. This is also the beauty of this app.. even though it’s looping and playing along with other things, it can still have a very free-form feel.

• @royor said:
    @cem_olcay Congrats on the release! Really loving the strum + ratchets.. just one quick question.
    If you start to move around the range head, is there a way to lock that into a bar line or to quantize it to some value? It gets a bit strange when you’ve got something else looping and this is off by just a bit.. especially when your last step ends up being a rest before it loops around again. It works great if you just use the predetermined rhythms but can go wonky when you start to move things around and adjust the size of a rhythm step.. the length and position of the rhythm step seems to be completely free then. This is also the beauty of this app.. even though it’s looping and playing along with other things, it can still have a very free-form feel.

Thanks! Actually if you don't touch the range head and add "rests" from the Add Rhythm menu, you'll always locked in the grid positions. Although, I'm considering adding a long-press feature to the range head and present a "quantize" option menu.
    At this point, I'm not even sure if people know range-head can be moved around freely :smiley:

• Yes, a quantize option for the range head would be fantastic!

• Sounds great to me! Consider it got!

• @cem_olcay This is the app of yours that's resonated with me the most (although I quite like the others)! I have a few requests: 128th divisions OR tempo multiplier, like in Atom. Also, I think it would benefit from a loop point quantize.

• @bcrichards said:
    @cem_olcay This is the app of yours that's resonated with me the most (although I quite like the others)! I have a few requests: 128th divisions OR tempo multiplier, like in Atom. Also, I think it would benefit from a loop point quantize.

YES (please)

• I bought it as I seen on the store, but I have to admit... I’m struggling to learn it😂😂😂in Aum.
    I will wait for some @thesoundtestroom magic.
    Great work @cem_olcay 👍👍👍

• @Charlesalbert said:
    I bought it as I seen on the store, but I have to admit... I’m struggling to learn it😂😂😂in Aum.
    I will wait for some @thesoundtestroom magic.
    Great work @cem_olcay 👍👍👍

Same here. I went out and bought FD-1 to make myself feel better :-) . It does look good, though - it's just that it doesn't seem to behave as expected (unexpected audio dropouts that are surely something I'm doing wrong, but I don't know what).

• Needs scales IMO

• @cem_olcay Maybe a multi-select and drag select option to select and change parameters for multiple rhythm blocks? Grid snap option for moving and extending rhythm parts. This is an incredible concept, but I'm seeing opportunity to improve the usability a little bit.

• @cem_olcay I msised that you're planning on adding a grid quantize option. Disregard that request. I stand by the 128th note, tempo multiplier (maybe divider too :) ?) and select option requests.