Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Faster than normal Battery drain iPadOS (2017 10.5 Pro 13.1.3)

It’s pretty ridiculous now. Charged to 100 last night. Woke up 5 hours later to 91%. Down 2 to 88% while creating this post. Guess I’ll let drain completely see if full charge from dead recalibrated something. Haven’t updated to 13.2 because these updates have been wack sauce so far. Jobs rolling in his grave. All these devices diluting OS quality and stability which WAS the major reason to choose Apple over Windows/Android.smh.

Comments

• Reset to make sure no background app is running and if it continues leave the iPad to drain until 5% (it helps the os to recalculate the battery levels, although below 20% the battery is stressed)

• @Korakios said:
    Reset to make sure no background app is running and if it continues leave the iPad to drain until 5% (it helps the os to recalculate the battery levels, although below 20% the battery is stressed)

Thanks! 🙏🏽. Will do.

• edited November 2019

@WillieNegus Yes I can echo your experience with the same device on iOS 13.1.x especially just after updating to iOS 13, but even after update related activities had settled down drain was still a lot faster than iOS12.

This experience was echoed by zollotech on YouTube, who described the battery life on iOS13.1 on his 2018 IPad Pro as “terrible” but acknowledged that user experiences vary.

Draining the battery once to let the OS recalibrate is a good idea but even after doing this the battery meter is still behaving very oddly at times. For example, yesterday it read 59% but after restarting, it read 65%. And the usual pattern even with light use is that it stays on one value for a while, and then seems to drop 3 or 4% in quick succession, then the cycle repeats.

Battery drain seems a bit better so far on 13.2, but keeping an eye on things. But overall drain rate continues to be noticeably higher than in iOS 12.

I have also turned off Background App Refresh for everything, Location Services for everything and I also turn on Limit Frame Rate to 60Hz ( Settings | General | Accessibility | Motion) and that can make a big difference to battery drain esp in graphic heavy applications.

But it is still not brilliant, let’s hope it improves further.

Final thought ... our devices are now in their third year of life, and I use mine a lot daily, so my charge count is in the high hundreds now so I wondering if battery lifespan is starting to be an issue?

• Well it seems your sources and experience validate my own so atleast I know I’m not tripping.

I too am seeing inconsistent metering. I have a battery monitor that says the wear level is at 93% now which is kinda good for how long I’ve had it and how much I use it (daily since 2017).

The drain was instant after update so I believe strongly it is OS vs hardware related. Hopefully it is addressed and improved somehow. I like creating on the go. Kinda the point of iOS no?

Thanks for the info and tips, off to optimize settings for my newly energy guzzling smart glass 😩

• Same problem here with an iPAD Pro 9.7 and 13.2. Battery live is terrible after upgrade (even I disabled location services etc.)...

• On my iPhone SE , iPad 6, Air2 I had better battery life from 12 to 13.1 , but 13.2 is a mess for my iPads

• @Korakios said:
    On my iPhone SE , iPad 6, Air2 I had better battery life from 12 to 13.1 , but 13.2 is a mess for my iPads

It’s been horrible for iPhone 8. Like really bad. Optimized settings no dice. It’s frustrating but informs my next buying decisions. I’ve always been somewhat of an early adopter with all things Apple. Still a fan as the alternative...uhhh who am i kidding...there is no alternative lol, but I’m def not upgrading anytime soon.

These devices cost way too much and are too new (2 yrs) to be impacted this heavily by upgrading OS.

• And with the mess that is MacOS Catalina, we have to wonder what kind of sinkhole Apple is leading us all into. Unfortunately for mobile music there really isn't an alternative, although Android is creeping up slowly, but the best mobile music software just doesn't exist for anything else, generally speaking.

And the other thing I noticed the other day, as I was playing a game while charging, was that the screen was quite hot and went a bit mad, and stopped responding to touch for a few seconds, so I won't be doing that again.

So I guess we better get on with making some tunes pronto before our devices spontaneously combust or something.

• edited November 2019

@craftycurate I’ve also gotten intermittent screen freezing and unresponsiveness on my iPhone 8 since 13 but haven’t noticed on iPad.

Didn’t update my MacBook. Wouldn’t dare. No. 🤬. Way.lol

• I wonder if 13.2.2 has addressed any of this?

• @WillieNegus said:
    I wonder if 13.2.2 has addressed any of this?

Updated last night and watching it like a hawk ... 🦅

• @craftycurate said:

@WillieNegus said:

Cool. If you don’t mind, check back and let us know if there’s any improvement or trouble ahead. Advanced appreciation for any attention to this matter 🙏🏽.

• @WillieNegus said:

@craftycurate said:

@WillieNegus said:

Cool. If you don’t mind, check back and let us know if there’s any improvement or trouble ahead. Advanced appreciation for any attention to this matter 🙏🏽.

Will do ... I think 13.2 was a bit of an improvement overall. Things seem to be inching back towards “normal”. Just had a 10 minute session with SB Factory and only dropped 4% which is not bad at all.

If you don’t hear back it could be that my iPad has dissolved into a pool of molten metal :o

• @craftycurate said:

@WillieNegus said:

@craftycurate said:

@WillieNegus said:

Will do ... I think 13.2 was a bit of an improvement overall. Things seem to be inching back towards “normal”. Just had a 10 minute session with SB Factory and only dropped 4% which is not bad at all.

If you don’t hear back it could be that my iPad has dissolved into a pool of molten metal :o

Sounding good so far...well accept that last part in which regard it may be a good idea to use 👉🏼🧤

• edited November 2019

@WillieNegus said:

Sounding good so far...well accept that last part in which regard it may be a good idea to use 👉🏼🧤

Thanks I’ll 🐻 that in 🧠! Seems fairly good so far tho ...

• edited November 2019

@craftycurate said:

@WillieNegus said:

@craftycurate said:

@WillieNegus said:

Other than the battery how is everything else running music app wise on this last 13 update? Any of your apps broken? I recently bought this new 2017 2nd gen 12.9 Pro and it still has 11.2 on it, as I’m starting to put all my music apps on it I’m finding some of my more used apps like Dexed and Xequence need 12 ..... but I’m a little chicken to update the thing to 13 🙄

• @cloudswimmer said:
    Other than the battery how is everything else running music app wise on this last 13 update? Any of your apps broken?

None so far ... most of my apps are pretty recent so no older IAA music apps for example ... not aware of any issues tbh.

• @craftycurate said:

@cloudswimmer said:
    Other than the battery how is everything else running music app wise on this last 13 update? Any of your apps broken?

None so far ... most of my apps are pretty recent so no older IAA music apps for example ... not aware of any issues tbh.

Ok thanks, yeah I do use quite a few IAA apps like the Arturia stuff, Korg, etc. What’s been holding me back mostly though is the Korg Bluetooth controllers not pairing with IOS 13 ..... but I just tried to pair my Korg Microkey Air 61 with this new iPad running 11.2 and it won’t pair with it either ..... so now I’m thinking what the heck ..... may as well go for it and get 13 🙏

• @craftycurate said:
    And with the mess that is MacOS Catalina, we have to wonder what kind of sinkhole Apple is leading us all into.

B) Well said, +1

• I also noticed unexpected drain recently, 2017 12.9 Pro, iOS13.1.3. Always saw Photos and Music as the culprits and I NEVER use Music on that device. I removed the widgets for Photos and Music from the home screen (which parked themselves there after an update) and that helped slightly, however the drain was still faster than expected.
    I realized that only certain apps in Siri & Search settings had “Learn from this App” selected...switched that off on every app and that seemed to do the trick so far.

• @3sleeves said:
    I also noticed unexpected drain recently, 2017 12.9 Pro, iOS13.1.3. Always saw Photos and Music as the culprits and I NEVER use Music on that device. I removed the widgets for Photos and Music from the home screen (which parked themselves there after an update) and that helped slightly, however the drain was still faster than expected.
    I realized that only certain apps in Siri & Search settings had “Learn from this App” selected...switched that off on every app and that seemed to do the trick so far.

I’ll give that a shot str8 away thanks. How would you rate your experience with 13.1.3 so far? Anything broken, fixed or concerning?

Sad to say I’ve become hesitant trust Apple updates for the first time in over 20 years of using their products after the latest iOS & Catalina. However, that badge in settings letting me know that an update is available is so hard to resist.

• @WillieNegus I know what you mean, updates claimed my Sonic Port and even my nanoKey Studio this year. I was just about to buy a microKey Air 61 but I couldn’t trust Apple or Korg enough to risk it.

In general I haven’t noticed any real difference in daily use on 13.1.3 with the iPad yet. Did have Spotify freeze on me a couple of times on iPhone SE, but I think the app just got an update to fix some bugs. I’m in this deep already, might update my phone to 13.2.2 later...test the waters.

• @3sleeves said:
    @WillieNegus I know what you mean, updates claimed my Sonic Port and even my nanoKey Studio this year. I was just about to buy a microKey Air 61 but I couldn’t trust Apple or Korg enough to risk it.

In general I haven’t noticed any real difference in daily use on 13.1.3 with the iPad yet. Did have Spotify freeze on me a couple of times on iPhone SE, but I think the app just got an update to fix some bugs. I’m in this deep already, might update my phone to 13.2.2 later...test the waters.

Yep, also a burned NKS user. Can’t put my finger on it but the Music app messes with the memory and battery even when not playing.

Most of my desktop plugins are still not compatible with Catalina so I won’t update there either.

Thanks for the update. Let us know how 13.2.2 goes if you will 🙏🏽

• @3sleeves you manually deselected all the apps from Siri learn? Sheesh. Got to the Fs on my device before carpal tunnel set in 😩🤦🏾‍♂️ Too many apps on my device. Do you know what this function actually does? What exactly is Siri learning from music apps I wonder 🤨

• @WillieNegus said:
    @3sleeves you manually deselected all the apps from Siri learn? Sheesh. Got to the Fs on my device before carpal tunnel set in 😩🤦🏾‍♂️ Too many apps on my device. Do you know what this function actually does? What exactly is Siri learning from music apps I wonder 🤨

Why isn’t there a global Siri Learn toggle? Just went through everything turning it off. Because I’m a bit obsessive I want to go through and see if I missed any but that would mean having to do it all twice so I don’t think I’ll bother.

• @craftycurate said:

@WillieNegus said:
    @3sleeves you manually deselected all the apps from Siri learn? Sheesh. Got to the Fs on my device before carpal tunnel set in 😩🤦🏾‍♂️ Too many apps on my device. Do you know what this function actually does? What exactly is Siri learning from music apps I wonder 🤨

Why isn’t there a global Siri Learn toggle? Just went through everything turning it off. Because I’m a bit obsessive I want to go through and see if I missed any but that would mean having to do it all twice so I don’t think I’ll bother.

This tells me I need to delete some apps before going back to complete. @craftycurate if you will, please let me know if you notice any better battery efficiency.

• @WillieNegus said:

@craftycurate said:

@WillieNegus said:

This tells me I need to delete some apps before going back to complete. @craftycurate if you will, please let me know if you notice any better battery efficiency.

Will do :)