Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Song Of The Month Club - November 2019

What is the Song of the Month Club?

It's a place where musicians come to give and receive feedback on their work. Anyone is welcome, whatever their level of ability.

The spirit of the club is to contribute: if you submit a song for others to comment on, you should also have the courtesy to listen to everyone else's contributions and give as much feedback as possible. Posting a track and not listening and commenting on others is not cool.

The purpose of feedback is to be honest. Essentially you should give your truthful impressions of the song, whether good or bad. Negative feedback, if done in the right spirit and with courtesy, can be the most useful and can help the artist to grow and improve and correct their mistakes.

All submissions are welcome, don't hesitate if you want to contribute. We like all kinds of music and we are particularly fond of vocals (but of course we still love a great instrumental). If you are thinking of experimenting with vocals this is a good place to get started.

We ask that you only post one song per month in this thread - if you're lucky enough to be able to produce more, then please just submit your strongest material

And finally, iOS is not a requirement for posting here. If you've recorded your song using nothing but a ukulele and a Fostex 4 track, that's fine.

Comments

• My entry for the month, composed in Gadget (Warsawa, yum) and finished in Auria. Lyrics in the spoiler:

Another year has passed me by
    Lived beneath a cold a grey sky
    Another year that I’ll try to ignore
    I’ve been here before

When we’re trapped in the half light
    When day darkens into night

I want to feel alive
    And I know that
    You and me are cold and empty
    You and I are trapped in a lie
    Our twilight lives
    Our twilight lives

Shapes melt in the fading light
    Shadows grow to claim the night
    The day has gone and the light here is no more
    I’ve been here before

I want to feel alive
    And I know that
    Our twilight lives
    Our twilight lives

• Nice vibe to this .. elements of some of the Manchester bands back in t’day... north side, Roses etc. Lots of your songs have a “flower power” vocal vibe .. it’s the reverb drenched vocal/backing vocal.
    I like the additional percussion on this which helped lift the rhythm track... I’d have raised those elements In the mix but maybe maybe that’s because of my hearing loss :o

• Following up on my song from last month, this one is even shorter and just as silly. Had to look up the word "grovey" in the urban dictionary. It appears to be a variation of "groovy."

I used the Launchpad app to create the track. Then I ran it through the Lurssen Mastering Console app to give it some polish.

• @enc said:
    Nice vibe to this .. elements of some of the Manchester bands back in t’day... north side, Roses etc. Lots of your songs have a “flower power” vocal vibe .. it’s the reverb drenched vocal/backing vocal.
    I like the additional percussion on this which helped lift the rhythm track... I’d have raised those elements In the mix but maybe maybe that’s because of my hearing loss :o

Thanks for the listen and the feedback 🙏

• @DavidEnglish said:
    Following up on my song from last month, this one is even shorter and just as silly. Had to look up the word "grovey" in the urban dictionary. It appears to be a variation of "groovy."

I used the Launchpad app to create the track. Then I ran it through the Lurssen Mastering Console app to give it some polish.

Nice “grove”
    Needs developing further I think but plenty of potential B)
    Btw, is that you in your avatar?

• Hi,
    This is my effort for this month.
    Gadget all the way...

• @richardyot said:
    My entry for the month, composed in Gadget (Warsawa, yum) and finished in Auria. Lyrics in the spoiler:

I’ve been here before

I want to feel alive
    And I know that
    Our twilight lives
    Our twilight lives

I’ve been here before

I want to feel alive
    And I know that
    Our twilight lives
    Our twilight lives

Really awesome intro. Nice piece, maybe you could create more musical contrast between the chorus and the rest of the song, but the singing is very sweet. The mix seems very balanced to me. Very good work!

• CAAt Claw joins me this month. Lyrics are in spoiler with a Google translation try from the French ones.

=========================Google translation
    Primal Scream
    I was there in my bed
    to rethink my day
    To all these scratches, irritations and cracks,
    which now gave me the feeling of having crumbs on my way under my comforter.
    Everything came back to me in the night,
    and zoned with impunity in my thoughts without being able to drive them away.
    I thought back to those fake smiles that had been stretched to me,
    and those fake smiles I had made.
    To those soft handshakes that continue to stick well after being dropped.
    I thought of my silence, of this absence of repartee that had seized me like a trance.
    Then to this fireworks of replicas and appropriateness that had illuminated my brain far too late,
    like a sword in the water, like justice never done,
    another frustration that had joined all those damn crumbs,
    I needed oxygen and space,
    to evacuate with much noise all this jumble of fuss,
    breathe a big blow ...
    Haaaaa ... ..
    I felt downright better!
    I felt like exulting like a mountain torrent,
    to go down at all goes in a raw joy.
    I wanted more, I wanted more,
    like a storm that swells in my mind and in my body.
    Haaaaa ... ..
    That was exactly it!
    It was in time,
    it was right,
    it was me here and now.
    A spontaneous momentum.
    A primal scream.

=========================French original lyrics
    Cri primal
    J’étais là dans mon lit
    à repenser à ma journée
    À toutes ces égratignures, ces irritations et ces gerçures,
    qui me donnaient maintenant le sentiment d’avoir des miettes en goguette sous ma couette.
    Tout me revenait là dans la nuit,
    et zonzonnait impunément dans mes pensées sans que je parvienne à les chasser.
    Je repensais à ces sourires faux-cul qu’on m’avait tendus,
    et à ces sourires faux-cul que j’avais rendus.
    À ces poignées de main molles qui continuent à faire colle bien après qu’on les ait lâchées.
    Je pensais à mon silence, à cette absence de répartie qui m’avait saisie comme une transe.
    Puis à ce feu d’artifice de répliques et d’à-propos qui avait illuminé mon cerveau bien trop tard,
    comme un coup d’épée dans l’eau, comme une justice jamais rendue,
    une frustration de plus qui avait rejoint toutes ces fichues miettes,
    J’avais besoin d’oxygène et d’espace,
    d’évacuer à grand fracas tout ce fatras de tracas,
    respirer un grand coup…
    Haaaaa…..
    Je me sentais carrément mieux !
    Je me sentais exulter comme un torrent de montagne,
    à dévaler à tout va dans une joyeuseté brute.
    J’en voulais plus, j’en voulais encore,
    comme une bourrasque qui enfle dans mon esprit et dans mon corps.
    Haaaaa…..
    C’était tout à fait ça !
    C’était dans le temps,
    c’était juste,
    c’était moi là et maintenant.
    Un élan spontané.
    Un cri primal.

https://caatclaw.bandcamp.com/track/cri-primal

• @DavidEnglish said:
    Following up on my song from last month, this one is even shorter and just as silly. Had to look up the word "grovey" in the urban dictionary. It appears to be a variation of "groovy."

I enjoyed that, it's pretty simple but the sounds are very well chosen and the production is super-tight. The bass sound in particular is delicious.

• @Faland said:
    Hi,
    Gadget all the way...

Awesome bass line, and the melodies that weave in and out are also very satisfying. The intro sounds like Warsawa to me so I take it you share my love of that synth :)

Production is good, nothing to complain about here. Some of the melodies have a slight eastern flavour which adds a little spice.

• @Kitusai said:
    CAAt Claw joins me this month. Lyrics are in spoiler with a Google translation try from the French ones.

Primal Scream
    I was there in my bed
    to rethink my day
    I thought of my silence, of this absence of repartee that had seized me like a trance.
    Then to this fireworks of replicas and appropriateness that had illuminated my brain far too late,
    breathe a big blow ...
    Haaaaa ... ..
    I felt downright better!
    Haaaaa ... ..
    That was exactly it!
    It was in time,
    it was right,
    it was me here and now.
    A spontaneous momentum.
    A primal scream.

Cri primal
    J’étais là dans mon lit
    à repenser à ma journée
    qui me donnaient maintenant le sentiment d’avoir des miettes en goguette sous ma couette.
    À ces poignées de main molles qui continuent à faire colle bien après qu’on les ait lâchées.
    Je pensais à mon silence, à cette absence de répartie qui m’avait saisie comme une transe.
    Puis à ce feu d’artifice de répliques et d’à-propos qui avait illuminé mon cerveau bien trop tard,
    respirer un grand coup…
    Haaaaa…..
    Haaaaa…..
    C’était tout à fait ça !
    C’était dans le temps,
    c’était juste,
    Un élan spontané.
    Un cri primal.

This is really good, the spoken word/rap is very powerful and beautifully written and delivered. I speak french so had the pleasure of enjoying the lyrics in the original.

I wasn't sure how the primal scream would sound but it really surprised me, in a good way, quite a clever way of delivering the idea in a musical way.

The music and production are also very good, but the vocal steals the show. Good job 🎤

• edited November 2019

@richardyot said:

@Faland said:
    Hi,
    Gadget all the way...

Awesome bass line, and the melodies that weave in and out are also very satisfying. The intro sounds like Warsawa to me so I take it you share my love of that synth :)

Production is good, nothing to complain about here. Some of the melodies have a slight eastern flavour which adds a little spice.

Thank you for your reply. Actually, the intro is shared by Memphis and Montpellier. No Warszawa in this track, but you’re right, I love it a lot.

• edited November 2019

I was recently asked to write a soundtrack for a short film and the result is my submission for November.

My concept was to create a very simple piece that could be used as fragments through the film - single notes, note pairs as intervals (especially the semitones), no more than three notes of the melody at a time - with the complete piece only played at the end as the credits rolled.

So the listener was not aware at first that they were listening to fragments of a tune - they were just hearing notes. But gradually the repetitions of the fragments would start to imply a tune. And then finally they would get the whole tune - but just once. This acted as a counterpoint to the story in which the relationships unraveled as the melody came together.

The film is a dark, stifling exploration of relationships in a fraught domestic context. I wanted the music to support that while also offering a glimpse of muted optimism.

I can't put the short film up for you to watch unfortunately because it is an exam submission and it hasn't been marked yet.

The piece here is just the final, complete melody - not all the fragments. You’ll have to imagine those! :)

It was recorded in NS2 using the Ravenscroft piano with Pro-R reverb - except for the very last note which went through the TB reverb to get the shimmer. The sound of Pro-R between the piano notes is as much part of the music as the notes.

• @richardyot Another quality song from you! Right at the beginning I thought we were heading into early Sisters of Mercy territory but it changed tack (and didn’t get dirty enough to be like them anyway). I really enjoyed the bass sound and the vocals but it was all excellent. I’d love to hear a live version of it...

• @DavidEnglish I like this, too! This would fit right into a Nina Kraviz gig (see the YouTube link I added to the October Song Club thread). Excellent stuff - and quite loud. I think you win the Loudness War this month. :)

• I may as well share my “TRANSFORMATOR” with y’all :smile:
    Midi in Cubasis, Audio done in Auria Pro. I mainly use the Moog Model 15.

But here’s my latest... Bach is important to me. This is a fugue I used to play on classical guitar, arranged in Cubasis.
    The first Krautrock star is definitely JSB 🌟

• @qryss said:
    I was recently asked to write a soundtrack for a short film and the result is my submission for November.

My concept was to create a very simple piece that could be used as fragments through the film - single notes, note pairs as intervals (especially the semitones), no more than three notes of the melody at a time - with the complete piece only played at the end as the credits rolled.

So the listener was not aware at first that they were listening to fragments of a tune - they were just hearing notes. But gradually the repetitions of the fragments would start to imply a tune. And then finally they would get the whole tune - but just once. This acted as a counterpoint to the story in which the relationships unraveled as the melody came together.

The film is a dark, stifling exploration of relationships in a fraught domestic context. I wanted the music to support that while also offering a glimpse of muted optimism.

I can't put the short film up for you to watch unfortunately because it is an exam submission and it hasn't been marked yet.

The piece here is just the final, complete melody - not all the fragments. You’ll have to imagine those! :)

It was recorded in NS2 using the Ravenscroft piano with Pro-R reverb - except for the very last note which went through the TB reverb to get the shimmer. The sound of Pro-R between the piano notes is as much part of the music as the notes.

It's a pretty simple piece but it has a great structure, the way that the theme gradually builds from the opening notes into the more complex melody at the end. The final run is very good, it could have done with being repeated once or twice more IMO. 👍

• Hi all. Thought I would branch out finally and share some music. This is made 100% in Grooverider GR-16 by JimAudio. I used all presets from the included bank and from the IAP banks. This is me learning the app and spending my lunch hour enjoying myself. Hope to hear some thoughts. I'll take to offering my thoughts on others work soon.

• @richardyot said:
    My entry for the month, composed in Gadget (Warsawa, yum) and finished in Auria. Lyrics in the spoiler:

I’ve been here before

I want to feel alive
    And I know that
    Our twilight lives
    Our twilight lives

I’ve been here before

I want to feel alive
    And I know that
    Our twilight lives
    Our twilight lives

Really dig this tune and the overall atmosphere. I couldn't understand most of the lyrics (I often can't) but honestly it didn't matter much as I got a great feeling from the sound of the vocals and the music. Loved how the vocal "sat" in with the rest of the tracks. Great work.

• @Kitusai said:
    CAAt Claw joins me this month. Lyrics are in spoiler with a Google translation try from the French ones.

Primal Scream
    I was there in my bed
    to rethink my day
    breathe a big blow ...
    Haaaaa ... ..
    I felt downright better!
    Haaaaa ... ..
    That was exactly it!
    It was in time,
    it was right,
    it was me here and now.
    A spontaneous momentum.
    A primal scream.

Cri primal
    J’étais là dans mon lit
    à repenser à ma journée
    respirer un grand coup…
    Haaaaa…..
    Haaaaa…..
    C’était tout à fait ça !
    C’était dans le temps,
    c’était juste,
    Un élan spontané.
    Un cri primal.

Outstanding. Love how this dances the line between spoken and sing-spoken. Excellent accompaniment to the very powerful text and performance. This knocked me out. Well done.

• @richardyot said:

I’ve been here before

I want to feel alive
    And I know that
    Our twilight lives
    Our twilight lives

I’ve been here before

I want to feel alive
    And I know that
    Our twilight lives
    Our twilight lives

I love the bassline. I think that this the first song I've ever heard a guitar sound very much like a bagpipe.
    Great as usual.

• @kinkujin said:
    Hi all. Thought I would branch out finally and share some music. This is made 100% in Grooverider GR-16 by JimAudio. I used all presets from the included bank and from the IAP banks. This is me learning the app and spending my lunch hour enjoying myself. Hope to hear some thoughts. I'll take to offering my thoughts on others work soon.

Nice minimal effective. I really like the offbeat squelchy sounds and the timing.

• Alright, a new month a new song. I have put some more time and effort in it, learned quite a bit i must say. Working in cubasis is going pretty fast and accurate now if i look back how i managed a couple of months ago. If only my creativity would be endless😀.

• @kinkujin said:
    Hi all. Thought I would branch out finally and share some music. This is made 100% in Grooverider GR-16 by JimAudio. I used all presets from the included bank and from the IAP banks. This is me learning the app and spending my lunch hour enjoying myself. Hope to hear some thoughts. I'll take to offering my thoughts on others work soon.

The drum and bass are pretty funky, it's got a toe-tapping groove which I really like. I think that maybe the melodic and harmonic side of the track could maybe be developed a bit further to provide some more interesting melodies, but the bassline is really awesome.

• @Elvisthenrodent said:
    Alright, a new month a new song. I have put some more time and effort in it, learned quite a bit i must say. Working in cubasis is going pretty fast and accurate now if i look back how i managed a couple of months ago. If only my creativity would be endless😀.

The main synth theme is really good, nice catchy hook, and the beat works really well too. I like the way it develops at the end as well with the gated lead line, I think it would have been good to introduce that a bit sooner just to add more variety to the track. The musical elements that are there are all great, but a little more variety in the arrangement would be even better IMO.

• @Elvisthenrodent said:
    Alright, a new month a new song. I have put some more time and effort in it, learned quite a bit i must say. Working in cubasis is going pretty fast and accurate now if i look back how i managed a couple of months ago. If only my creativity would be endless😀.

I just wanted it longer. Perhaps more of what @richardyot said with more development of that line ... however, I love it and just didn't want it to end. Great stuff.

• @richardyot said:

@kinkujin said:

The drum and bass are pretty funky, it's got a toe-tapping groove which I really like. I think that maybe the melodic and harmonic side of the track could maybe be developed a bit further to provide some more interesting melodies, but the bassline is really awesome.

@richardyot said:

@kinkujin said:

I hear ya and thanks. That's the thing with groove/pattern oriented programs, i'm still learning how to get what I want out of them. Thank you for your thoughts.

• Great to see the song of the month club thriving again after a few lean months over the summer. Here is our song for this month. Its from the same sessions as lasts months effort again featuring our brass section :)

• edited November 2019

@orchardman said:
    Great to see the song of the month club thriving again after a few lean months over the summer. Here is our song for this month. Its from the same sessions as lasts months effort again featuring our brass section :)

Good stuff, another very strong vocal melody and another very good song. I can definitely imagine the pair of you as a Brill Building songwriting team, it would actually be pretty cool to hear these songs performed by a professional vocalist (no offence to your wife, I could just imagine someone like Nancy Sinatra singing this).

The vignette is also really good, the lyrics and the implied story work very well. Nice guitar as well.

• @orchardman said:
    Great to see the song of the month club thriving again after a few lean months over the summer. Here is our song for this month. Its from the same sessions as lasts months effort again featuring our brass section :)

Great writing. I like the vocal, she has a bit of a sneer which is cool.
    Only slight critique would be somehow to glue the vocal down. To my ears, it sounds like the vocals are sitting on top of the mix, instead of "IN" the mix, if you know what I mean. Love the tune.