Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Audio amplitude to MIDI CC

edited September 2019 in App Tips and Tricks

Went down a rabbit hole and am sharing what I found in case it's useful to anyone.

The original problem I was trying to solve was to take the amplitude of a complex audio source and turn that into MIDI CCs that could be used to modulate another audio source. I was interested in taking the amplitude from a recording of waves hitting a beach and writing that as MIDI CCs.

On computers, Bluecat's DP Meter Pro does this really well, and in real time, but it costs $99 and I'm cheap.

https://www.bluecataudio.com/Products/Product_DPeakMeterPro/

Here's how I did this using ios tools:

For this recipe you'll need - AUM, an audio source (I loaded my clip of the beach into the AUM file player), FAC Envolver, and Cubasis (or another app that can record MIDI CCs)

• Load up an audio source on an AUM audio channel
  • Load FAC envolver onto that channel
  • Open Cubasis
  • Inside AUM route midi from the FAC Envolver channel to a MIDI channel in Cubasis
  • Record the MIDI into the Cubasis channel while the audio channel in AUM is playing. It will record the MIDI CC output by FAC envolver

In FAC Envolver you'll want to choose a MIDI CC that modulates something you want modulated. :) In Cubasis at least I couldn't seem to copy and paste automation from one parameter to another.

Comments

• @ecamburn said:
    Went down a rabbit hole and am sharing what I found in case it's useful to anyone.

The original problem I was trying to solve was to take the amplitude of a complex audio source and turn that into MIDI CCs that could be used to modulate another audio source. I was interested in taking the amplitude from a recording of waves hitting a beach and writing that as MIDI CCs.

On computers, Bluecat's DP Meter Pro does this really well, and in real time, but it costs $99 and I'm cheap.

https://www.bluecataudio.com/Products/Product_DPeakMeterPro/

Here's how I did this using ios tools:

For this recipe you'll need - AUM, an audio source (I loaded my clip of the beach into the AUM file player), FAC Envolver, and Cubasis (or another app that can record MIDI CCs)

• Load up an audio source on an AUM audio channel
    • Load FAC envolver onto that channel
    • Open Cubasis
    • Inside AUM route midi from the FAC Envolver channel to a MIDI channel in Cubasis
    • Record the MIDI into the Cubasis channel while the audio channel in AUM is playing. It will record the MIDI CC output by FAC envolver

In FAC Envolver you'll want to choose a MIDI CC that modulates something you want modulated. :) In Cubasis at least I couldn't seem to copy and paste automation from one parameter to another.

great! Thanks, looks like it could be useful at some point.

• Check out @Daveypoo latest installment of iVCS3.

There is a part wherein an audio waveform is loaded and used for an envelope.

• This is great method to utilize the led vu meters on a Behringer MM1 midi controller. I too used bluecat on pc and find fac to be a great replcement.

• @audiblevideo said:
    Check out @Daveypoo latest installment of iVCS3.

There is a part wherein an audio waveform is loaded and used for an envelope.

I've compared Envolver and the iVCS3 envelope follower and the Envolver apparently works for a broader range of signals, not to mention its waveform display that helps tremendously while adjusting threshold, envelope and depth.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.