Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Koala: Tips, Tricks, Tutorials, and Demos. (Koala Sampler by Elf Audio 🐨)

*Please note: For Koala feature requests, bug reports, bug requests 😄, and other related comments, it might be better to post them over on the main Koala thread:
https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/31514/koala-the-ultimate-pocket-sized-sampler/p1

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/koala-sampler/id1449584007

https://www.elf-audio.com/koala/

Thought we could use a thread about the possibilities within Koala, either by itself or with other apps. What have you done with it? 🐨

For starters... this guy (not me) has a bunch of in-depth Koala tutorials on his channel:

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCL0wihxUE6maLOFRrDI1xzQ/videos

Comments

• Fantastic job. Thank you. And a great track!

• edited November 2019

@ExAsperis99 said:
    Fantastic job. Thank you. And a great track!

Paging Mr. Sasqwax! 😄 Maybe he is active here? Very helpful videos on Koala, which pulls off the difficult trick of being very intuitive and easy while being immensely flexible and deep. 🐨

• Never saw, how it samples apps on the iPad .
    Do you need a host/Aum for that? I don’t think I will use the mic.but I would like to sample my apps

What is the procedure ?

• wimwim
    edited November 2019

@Sergiu said:
    Never saw, how it samples apps on the iPad .
    Do you need a host/Aum for that? I don’t think I will use the mic.but I would like to sample my apps

What is the procedure ?

In AudioBus or AUM just place the app you want to sample in the track, then place Koala in the FX slot. The input source will automatically set up correctly. You will need to enable monitoring in Koala to hear the incoming sound.

AudioBus has the super nice advantage that it can run split screen with Koala on the iPad. Having both on screen at the same time is really nice.

• @wim said:

AudioBus has the super nice advantage that it can run split screen with Koala on the iPad. Having both on screen at the same time is really nice.

V.Nice!! Wasn’t aware of that.

• @Sergiu said:

What is the procedure ?

@wim described the procedure perfectly, for getting a direct sampling. That’s the way I use most of the time. But if perhaps one is going for a lo-fi sound, using the iPad mic to capture apps thru maybe a Bluetooth speaker can provide useable results. One could possibly add vocal sounds to the samples, if desired.

In this video, random sounds were sampled from Fractal Bits thru a speaker into the ipad mic. Then these were assembled into little snippets of beats and twisted and turned in interesting ways by the excellent effects performance section. Quick and dirty, to be sure, but i find it useful.

• As for integrating Koala into a workflow, I found this video very informative. He starts with Koala in AUM and keeps adding and building... all on an iPhone. Nice 👍

• Koala iOS app experiment with screen capture. Kind of a proof-of-concept. Captured a video while using the Koala Sampler app. Then did ANOTHER screen capture on top of that with Koala playing more samples. It sounds like a mess, but in theory something potentially interesting could be done with this capability.

I could have opened Koala AGAIN and done another screen capture and sampled the sounds, but then my head might have imploded by getting sucked into a wormhole. 🤣

• @wim said:

@Sergiu said:

What is the procedure ?

In AudioBus or AUM just place the app you want to sample in the track, then place Koala in the FX slot. The input source will automatically set up correctly. You will need to enable monitoring in Koala to hear the incoming sound.

I've been thinking of buying this for ages but have always been put off by the fact that it's not AU. Is it good for doing 'live' stuff, though, i.e. getting a track from AUM into it and then doing a sort of Ableton on/off thing with the loops? Also, when recording into it from AUM, does it create nice loops, or is it a bit of a trial and error kind of situation? If the answers to these questions are positive, I'll just grab it.

• @audio_DT said:
    I've been thinking of buying this for ages but have always been put off by the fact that it's not AU. Is it good for doing 'live' stuff, though, i.e. getting a track from AUM into it and then doing a sort of Ableton on/off thing with the loops? Also, when recording into it from AUM, does it create nice loops, or is it a bit of a trial and error kind of situation? If the answers to these questions are positive, I'll just grab it.

No, I wouldn't say it's ideal for that use case.

• @wim said:

@audio_DT said:

No, I wouldn't say it's ideal for that use case.

Ah, OK. Thanks for the reply, anyway. I've wondered "what would I use it for?", and I think only playing stuff on-the-fly in a simple environment (ala Ableton) would really tempt me to get it ... unless it was AU.

• Drum loop running thru the different effects. Simple loop is made different in a variety of ways.

• There’s something wrong with Link in this app. It’s Link tempo is always 1bpm slow in the app. If another app like AudioBus is in the foreground, it plays at the global link tempo, but if in the foreground, it slows down by 1 bpm.

• Fun with Koala FX, with a little help from Pure Acid. 🐨💗💀🎧

• @wim said:
    There’s something wrong with Link in this app. It’s Link tempo is always 1bpm slow in the app. If another app like AudioBus is in the foreground, it plays at the global link tempo, but if in the foreground, it slows down by 1 bpm.

Confirmed. Thankfully it's pretty simple math for me to adjust. But still...

• Thanks for this thread, very cool stuff. @haulin_notes

@wim said:

@Sergiu said:

What is the procedure ?

Didn’t know this, thanks!

• The resampling of loops with the effects is what makes this app fun for me. Lots of cool happy accidents. I like to export loops from blocs wave and resample those too, they import easily from the ‘open in’ menu. Really great app!

• @ipadbeatmaking Thank you for your thanks. Koala rules!

@jenkweb Totally agree. It’s so fun and painless that sometimes it is surprising when something very interesting and creative comes out of it. 😁

• It’s OK, not a bad little sampler.

Would be great if it had -

1. The ability to record your gestures in the FX section...to a new sequence
    2. Loop start quantisation, so it doesnt play until current one has ended etc.
    3. Doesn’t keep crashing with Audiobus 2

All in, very good fun.

• I’ve loaded a bunch of my finished beats as complete waves into Koala with the intention of using it to play a little medley of them with the live fx, like you might with a sp404. Can someone tell me whether there’s a way to stop a sample playing once it is triggered? I’m using one shot mode but pressing the sample again just retriggers it without stopping play.

• @elf_audio hi just checking if there will be anymore updates to Koala. Happy New Year

• @drewinnit go into sample edit window and tap on the one shot tab to toggle on/off

• @stormbeats thanks but I think I’ve explained myself poorly – I want the sample to stop playing.

Imagine a 3 minute beat rendered and loaded to a pad. Once triggered, how can I stop it playing?

• @drewinnit said:
    @stormbeats thanks but I think I’ve explained myself poorly – I want the sample to stop playing.

Imagine a 3 minute beat rendered and loaded to a pad. Once triggered, how can I stop it playing?

@drewinnit ok I don’t think you can .

• @drewinnit said:
    @stormbeats thanks but I think I’ve explained myself poorly – I want the sample to stop playing.

Disable One-Shot mode and hold the pad as long as you want it to play.
    I don't think Koala has been built with 3-minute beats in mind, but it will record how long you've held the pad. Cutting the beat into smaller sections is probably more Koala-friendly, and they do have a hard time these days.

• thanks guys, thought I may have overlooked something. i can definitely understand this use case lies beyond the scope of the app which is more focused on composing quick sequences with short samples

those performance FX are so fun though, really want to use them to add some interest to a mini-set of my pre-rendered beats

• edited January 2020

Can a Gate feature not be added ? One press to start the sample and it continues until pressed again to stop it ?

• How to sample from YT on an iOS device, into Koala:

1) find your sample.
    2) enable iOS screen vid capture.
    3) stop capture when done.
    4) open iMovie and import clip.
    5) go to iMovie and export clip to Koala.
    6) Koala should be open already.
    7) Audio from clip will propagate into next empty Koala cell.

That’s it!

RIP Terry Jones.