Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Setting up AUM to receive/transmit audio from Lightning in and out Bluetooth...

I had another thread about whether it's possible, now I need to ask specifically how I would setup AUM Mixer to:

1.receive audio from the lightning connector (via lightning to 3.5mm headphone jack adapter)
2.send from AUM out of the iPhone via Bluetooth

I just cannot get my head to work this haha!

Thanks

Comments

• AUM will detect a connected audio device on the Lightning Port and offer it as Input for any track. It usually offers Right and Left Channels and a stereo R+L option. Multi-channel audio interfaces will display all the available interfaces for each channel to choose from.

Bluetooth devices are configured in the IOS settings. Once one is selected it become the default audio out port replacing the default headphone jack. AUM will offer the R, L and R+L options for a track's output options. I don't have one but a multi-channel lightning audio interface should offer multiple audio out options (R,L of R+L for each output option).

• Beware that Bluetooth audio has s lot of latency since the lossy transcoding most Bluetooth uses takes time.

• @McD said:
    AUM will detect a connected audio device on the Lightning Port and offer it as Input for any track. It usually offers Right and Left Channels and a stereo R+L option. Multi-channel audio interfaces will display all the available interfaces for each channel to choose from.

Bluetooth devices are configured in the IOS settings. Once one is selected it become the default audio out port replacing the default headphone jack. AUM will offer the R, L and R+L options for a track's output options. I don't have one but a multi-channel lightning audio interface should offer multiple audio out options (R,L of R+L for each output option).

Thanks - but it only offers the microphone as an input? which is no good as it juts picks up all the ambient external audio and no audio signal from the device connected to the lightning port.

• @pax-eterna : can you provide details of the device connected by lightning? If it isn't showing up as an input source there may be something amiss with your adapter.

Whag hardware and OS are you using?

• edited November 2019

iPhone 8S latest OS - using the Apple lightning to headphone jack adapter - which is getting signal from the mixing desk aux audio out via an audio cable in to the headphone jack

• @pax-eterna : do any of your apps (AUM, Audiobus, anybDAW) show the headphone adapter as an audio input? What do they list as input sources?

• Thanks espiegel but perhaps I have found a solution (well at least short term) that I just tested with a bluetooth speaker I have...I can connect my mixer via USB to a laptop, then pair the laptop (Windows) with the bluetooth speaker and it works...not sure of the range of the Windows Bluteooth though?? I know the iPhone will go over about 60 metres! Already had it working at that, so an iPhone solution would be better :)

As to your question, Audiobus shows nothing - only apps, AUM only shows it as a microphone...don't have a DAW app installed

• @pax-eterna said:
    Thanks espiegel but perhaps I have found a solution (well at least short term) that I just tested with a bluetooth speaker I have...I can connect my mixer via USB to a laptop, then pair the laptop (Windows) with the bluetooth speaker and it works...not sure of the range of the Windows Bluteooth though?? I know the iPhone will go over about 60 metres! Already had it working at that, so an iPhone solution would be better :)

As to your question, Audiobus shows nothing - only apps, AUM only shows it as a microphone...don't have a DAW app installed

From what you say, your headphone adapter is not intended as an audio input device. So, you would need a device intended for that function--and by the way the quality would be much better with a real audio interface.

Be aware that using Bluetooth audio, you will be introducing a lot of latency. Bluetooth audio has inherent latency due to the fact that it involves computationally-intensive lossy compression which involved fairly large buffers in the Bluetooth path.

• Yeah I agree on the latency - I was thinking that as the house system speakers are in another area and are turned off in my playing area it wouldn't be an issue as I wouldn't hear it, but upon reflection I think my live playing will still be "laggy" in the other speakers yes?

TBH, I think the venue needs to run hard-wired connections to the live music zones so players can hook up via cables, then let the house bluetooth transmit to it's own speakers - I am now not sure this is going to work at all. I f I was a DJ then yep it's be fine, but there is live playing involved.

• The lightning to 3.5mm jack should work. I believe these Apple adapters are TRRS, so you just need an additional 3.5mm adapter (picture below) to isolate the mic (mono) input from the L-R headphone output. A bit of a hack, and might lose some audio fidelity... but it should be possible.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/41Gxv-HVcsL.jpg

• Otherwise, yes I agree with everyone that a venue hosting live musicians needs to be prepared to provide wired solutions, not Bluetooth.