Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Loopy/AUM/Audiobus Video Series

I have finished up the suite of videos demonstrating the Loopy+AUM+Audiobus loopdeck for those not already aware of how great this setup works. They only touch the surface. Using Mozaic or Streambyter you can really customize these setups for cool custom behaviors (like song structures).

Some of the video cover some basics that most of you already know -- you can skip them.

Anyway the videos are:

AUM Loop Session and Tutorial

Loopy, AUM, Audiobus 3 Setup Walkthrough

AUM/Loopy Mixer Tour

Controlling Loopy from AUM

AUM Loopy QuickJam

Comments

• edited October 2019

Wow. Well done man!
    Must have been a lot of work preparing, recording and editing these videos.

• @espiegel123
    Never tried this- now I wanna
    Big ups, and thanks!

• Thank you for all your hard work. Very much!

• Woohoo. Awesome work. Thanks so much for these..

• You’re very generous with your time friend.
    A question though if you don’t mind.
    Is there an order in which we should watch these 5 videos so the lesson will flow properly?
    Can’t wait to get this set up.

• So many possibilities with iOS. This is highly useful info. Thank you!

• @Ben said:
    You’re very generous with your time friend.
    A question though if you don’t mind.
    Is there an order in which we should watch these 5 videos so the lesson will flow properly?
    Can’t wait to get this set up.

The order probably depends on what you know about the apps already. The order I put them in at the start of the thread is probably the right order - some (many?) people probably will only need to watch the first one. The other videos:

• walk you through setting up Audiobus, AUM and Loopy to work together, including how to set up the mixer in AUM to use send buses
    • show how to engage the sends and instruments with swiping
    • show how to use the Audiobus palette to control loopy

If you know how to do those things, those videos probably aren't needed.

The 'quickjam' is the same as the jam that starts the longer jam/tutorial but doesn't have the longer annotated jam. It was put together this past summer as a quick demonstration of how elegant this combo is -- SOOOOO much easier than anything else -- since most people don't realize you can use the apps this way.

• Can i ask how you deal with latency correction? I find that if i use an AUM send to feed loopy's in thru AB and I loop a rhythmic sequence it's a little bit out of phase, and if i manually move the loop negatively in time it syncs up. Alternatively, if i don't use AB and feed loopy from my audio interface's inputs, it's actually too early, and i have to move the loop positively in time to sync up. I'm currently using the latter option, because i can just put all of my loopy channels to a bus in AUM and then delay that bus a little, but it's not ideal, because i'd like to be able choose what i'm recording with a midi controller, and also be able to resample my entire output.

• @muffin said:
    Can i ask how you deal with latency correction? I find that if i use an AUM send to feed loopy's in thru AB and I loop a rhythmic sequence it's a little bit out of phase, and if i manually move the loop negatively in time it syncs up. Alternatively, if i don't use AB and feed loopy from my audio interface's inputs, it's actually too early, and i have to move the loop positively in time to sync up. I'm currently using the latter option, because i can just put all of my loopy channels to a bus in AUM and then delay that bus a little, but it's not ideal, because i'd like to be able choose what i'm recording with a midi controller, and also be able to resample my entire output.

What is the setup (hardware, buffers) when you are experiencing noticeable latency and what are the conditions? I.e. does this happen when manually pressing record and recording a loop or even when the loop recording is armed so that Loopy is starting the actual record at the top of the loop cycle.

Does this latency show up even if you are recording something like sequenced quarter notes that are locked in sync?

• iConnectivity audio 4+, 256, happens with letting loopy decide the start and end time.

I'm recording sequences from an external hardware synth, and yeah, i've checked with very simple 1/4 note sequences. I've synced the synth with both audio (sending a click from a AUv3 drum machine) and midi to cv and the results are the same.

• @muffin said:
    iConnectivity audio 4+, 256, happens with letting loopy decide the start and end time.

I'm recording sequences from an external hardware synth, and yeah, i've checked with very simple 1/4 note sequences. I've synced the synth with both audio (sending a click from a AUv3 drum machine) and midi to cv and the results are the same.

When you are synching just to internal iPad apps/plugins, what sync type are you using and who is the master?

• everything is ableton link

• @muffin said:
    everything is ableton link

you might see if things are tighter with midi clock. once upon a time I found it and IAA to be tighter than link but that was over a year ago and things might have changed since then.

• Useful videos for getting back into using Loopy and AB with AUM.

Have you considered whether it is worthwhile to create a dedicated Mozaic script for controlling Loopy with all its midi bindings? Perhaps run it over bluetooth from a separate iDevice.

• @bleep said:
    Useful videos for getting back into using Loopy and AB with AUM.

Have you considered whether it is worthwhile to create a dedicated Mozaic script for controlling Loopy with all its midi bindings? Perhaps run it over bluetooth from a separate iDevice.

I have a couple of Mozaic and Streambyter scripts that I use with Loopy. I mention at the end of the overview video that ghetto are useful. One could easily set up Mozaic or Streambyter to add song structure so that you can devote some loops to particular sections that you can switch between. Pretty much every aspect of Loopy is midi controllable.

• @Michael Just curious, did Loopy get pulled from the App Store? I only see LoppyHD and Samplebot in the App Store now. Wanted to try running Loopy alongside LoopyHD for even more tracks :)

• @muffin said:
    everything is ableton link

I just did some tests and for me there isn't any recording latency when I run everything with sync. My test was to set up the BeatHawk AU in a host (either AUM or Audiobus) playing a kick or snare sample on quarter notes and sent to Loopy. I used 60 bpm since it is easy to see in Twisted Wave if the notes are where they should be. Loopy set to sync. So recording is always being automatically started. When I look at the recorded audio with all the sync methods that I tried, the first note is at 0 seconds and all the subequent notes line up precisely with Twisted Wave's timeline.

I tried each of the following methods:

Audiobus hosting BeatHawk AU and sending to Loopy. I tried sync via IAA and also MIDI Clock.

Audiobus hosting AUM and Loopy. AUM hosting Beathawk. Sync via Ableton Link. I did notice in this case that when playback started it took a couple of measures for the AUM and Loopy to be locked tight. I waited to start recording till then. (Loopy was playing back the quarter note kicks recorded from Audiobus in the previous tests).

I also tried AUM being a MIDI clock master and driving Loopy.

Link seemed to take the longest for the host and slaves to get into tight sync. (But it happened within a few measures.

I ran these on an iPad 6th Gen with iOS 12.3.1.

• @echoopera said:
    @Michael Just curious, did Loopy get pulled from the App Store? I only see LoppyHD and Samplebot in the App Store now. Wanted to try running Loopy alongside LoopyHD for even more tracks :)

Yeah, I pulled it, causing too many people to get confused 😄

• edited November 2019

@Michael said:

@echoopera said:
    @Michael Just curious, did Loopy get pulled from the App Store? I only see LoppyHD and Samplebot in the App Store now. Wanted to try running Loopy alongside LoopyHD for even more tracks :)

Makes sense. @espiegel123 said as much when I asked on his youtube channel...but thought I'd ask here as well.

I just wanted to add more looping channels with the app :wink:

• @echoopera said:

@Michael said:

@echoopera said:

Makes sense. @espiegel123 said as much when I asked on his youtube channel...but thought I'd ask here as well.

Yeah, that's fair enough =) I tried to generate a promo code for you, but that's apparently not gonna work any more either. Sorry about that!

Loopy Pro will have unlimited tracks, so..just another decade or two to wait ;-)

• @Michael said:

@echoopera said:

@Michael said:

@echoopera said:

Yeah, that's fair enough =) I tried to generate a promo code for you, but that's apparently not gonna work any more either. Sorry about that!

Loopy Pro will have unlimited tracks, so..just another decade or two to wait ;-)

Thanks for trying that.

Hahah...awesome. I know you will deliver in 10 months :)

• edited June 2020

Thanks @espiegel123 , this has been really helpful!

I've been playing with this for a while and it just struck me that making each track output audio to the Master bus and also send audio via the effects slots to the bus for loopy might be doubling the volume. I'm also adding effects to the bus that sends to Loopy and I'm wondering if this set-up is doubling the volume with both a pre-effects audio signal and a post loopy/post effects audio signal.

I was just considering that it might be a better idea to:

a) remove the sends in the effects slots and just output the audio from each track into the bus that sends to loopy

b) output the loopy track to the master bus track

and c) turn on input monitoring in Loopy HD.

I think that this would make remove any issues of duplicates of audio signals and make the setup simpler, but I'm fairly new to all of this routing and am not sure.

Is the current setup causing duplicate audio signals? Do you have any insight about whether this idea would be helpful or if sticking with the sends is a better idea?

• There are many ways to set it up. Pick the one that works for you. The way that I do it, I don't end up with duplication of the audio streams.

@dan151 said:
    Thanks @espiegel123 , this has been really helpful!

I've been playing with this for a while and it just struck me that making each track output audio to the Master bus and also send audio via the effects slots to the bus for loopy might be doubling the volume. I'm also adding effects to the bus that sends to Loopy and I'm wondering if this set-up is doubling the volume with both a pre-effects audio signal and a post loopy/post effects audio signal.

I was just considering that it might be a better idea to:

a) remove the sends in the effects slots and just output the audio from each track into the bus that sends to loopy

b) output the loopy track to the master bus track

and c) turn on input monitoring in Loopy HD.

I think that this would make remove any issues of duplicates of audio signals and make the setup simpler, but I'm fairly new to all of this routing and am not sure.

Is the current setup causing duplicate audio signals? Do you have any insight about whether this idea would be helpful or if sticking with the sends is a better idea?

• Hi. So I’ve set this up as shown in the video. Created an audio track with bus send A, then insert bias fx under the bus a. When I play my guitar it sounds as it should, but loopy only records the direct input. Any ideas why? I’m usin irig duo an an interface.

• @Jakersjaw said:
    Hi. So I’ve set this up as shown in the video. Created an audio track with bus send A, then insert bias fx under the bus a. When I play my guitar it sounds as it should, but loopy only records the direct input. Any ideas why? I’m usin irig duo an an interface.

Please post a screenshot of your setup. It sounds like you are sending the direct signal to Loopy. If bias is the node below bus a, it isn't being sent to Loopy. You need to put the bus send below bias. Otherwise you are tapping the signal before the effect is applied.

BTW, If you are only recording from guitar, you could send that channel directly to Loopy or bus A.

• @espiegel123 said:

@Jakersjaw said:
    Hi. So I’ve set this up as shown in the video. Created an audio track with bus send A, then insert bias fx under the bus a. When I play my guitar it sounds as it should, but loopy only records the direct input. Any ideas why? I’m usin irig duo an an interface.

Please post a screenshot of your setup. It sounds like you are sending the direct signal to Loopy. If bias is the node below bus a, it isn't being sent to Loopy. You need to put the bus send below bias. Otherwise you are tapping the signal before the effect is applied.

BTW, If you are only recording from guitar, you could send that channel directly to Loopy or bus A.

Thank you! It was the wrong order of nodes. It works perfect now 😀

Except that loopy can’t statesave AUM because of invalid response. But that’s ok. I just back in AUM to.

• @Jakersjaw said:

@espiegel123 said:

@Jakersjaw said:

Thank you! It was the wrong order of nodes. It works perfect now 😀

Except that loopy can’t statesave AUM because of invalid response. But that’s ok. I just back in AUM to.

What do you mean "loopy can't statesave AUM".

Do you mean Audiobus?

You should contact the developers: @Michael and @j_liljedahl as it normally works flawlessly.

Also, normally, you don't need to save a separate AUM document. Saving the Audiobus 3 preset will include the AUM info when things were correctly as they usually do.

You might want to reboot your iPad. It sometimes clears things up.

• What do you mean "loopy can't statesave AUM".

Do you mean Audiobus?

You should contact the developers: @Michael and @j_liljedahl as it normally works flawlessly.

Also, normally, you don't need to save a separate AUM document. Saving the Audiobus 3 preset will include the AUM info when things were correctly as they usually do.

Yes, I mean Audiobus. I think I might still be on Audiobus 2. Maybe that why.

Thanks again for your help.

• @Jakersjaw said:

What do you mean "loopy can't statesave AUM".

Do you mean Audiobus?

Yes, I mean Audiobus. I think I might still be on Audiobus 2. Maybe that why.

Thanks again for your help.

Audiobus 3 is well worth its price.

• edited September 2020

A great video-series @espiegel123 !
    I’m going to watch them!

This thread popped up at the right time for me! 😊

I really welcome your videos because I never used looper before, always sequencers.
    I realized that some of my favorite Youtuber like State Azure or Daniel Davis using Loopers for their Ambient Live-Sessions. I really like these Sessions, it seems so easy to loop around...

I was asking myself how advanced can be a hardware looper like Ditto X4 compared to high end IOS loopers like Loopy HD. I believe that IOS solutions like Loopy can be much more flexible and better to use than this little hardware pedals , isn’t it?

I need to find out more, I’m sure your videos will help me!
    Thanks a lot for your work, making them! 🙏

P.S.
    Will the IK Multimedia iRig BlueBoard works well with Loopy? Would you recommend a foot controller for an easy hands free operation?