Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Song Of The Month Club - October 2019

13»

Comments

• @crony said:
    Hello,

Long time no see... :) Here's my latest track...

Hope you'll like it !

I'm listening to yours, and preparing my comments...

This was crazy good! There is an electronic musician side of me too. Really enjoyed this😀
    Did you tweak everything and sung live in the video while recording?

• Thanks for listening to the track. Definitely not my best, but I was going toward a certain aesthetic, and I'm happy with where it landed. I know that 5 minute instrumental tracks aren't everyone's thing, to make or to listen to. 5min was definitely the limit for that one - I tried shortening it, but it felt unbalanced when I did, so I stuck with it and then didn't draw out the ending.

@qryss Believe it or not, there's quite a bit of warmth added to things through HG2 and Novatron, amongst others... I suppose I may be a bit hesitant to go further but should experiment. That said, I was being purposeful with what I was doing (but that doesn't mean there wasn't room to play within my boundaries). I'll have to think about using vocals a bit differently. Thanks for the suggestions.

@orchardman No worres - I listen to 5+ min instrumental electronic tracks all the time and have for decades, but they can drive other people I know crazy, either annoyed or bored or both, etc. I wouldn't call my track "great", but I know it's "good" - at least in the realm I was playing within. Oh, the country vibe I was talking about was just a couple of the twangy sounds. Twangy to me = country. I know it's not ACTUALLY country, which I don't listen to.

@richardyot Thanks! Except for the distorted drum loops and some other percussion, it was me hacking away with my little MPK Mini keyboard to play the notes of everything else - I mention this because I'm definitely feeling more confident in making little hooks and melodies (with zero musical training whatsoever I've been reticent and slow to move into it). TL;DR thanks for noticing :-)

@Kitusai Thanks for listening, and I'm glad it was interesting

@DavidEnglish Thanks! It's definitely a balance to try to keep a 5min instrumental with a driving beat interesting enough to get through. You can see from the comments here that I had mixed success - which I TOTALLY understand and am not surprised by. I did have fun creating it, and seeing what I felt I could "get away with" in terms of sounds/instruments.

@crony Much of the percussion is sampled, either via a premade loop (2 of those) or Kontakt instruments, though the deep wub wub wub is FAW Sublab and I might also have D16 Punchbox going, too, but forget. 100% of everything else I played in. Yeah, some of it is samples (again, Kontakt), but also some of it synths (all software except for a few seconds where I have a sound from my Roland SE-02 inserted). I then used those as homemade loops, essentially. As I'd mentioned to @DavidEnglish, I was throwing different sounds in there in an attempt to add substantial variation. I can absolutely understand if it crossed the line for some listeners, as, even to me, it's pushing it a bit at times.

I think I might have missed a track or two, plus some new ones were added before the "deadline". I'll get to them, I promise!

• @DavidEnglish Thank you: I think you’re right about the vocals. I wanted them on the low side but I think I’ve slightly overdone it. I now think the snare is slightly too quiet as well. I’ll do a new mix at the weekend...

And I liked your track! Interesting sounds and I’m not sure how to pigeonhole it (not at all a bad thing!). Nicely mixed, too. I can imagine a vocal over it - not sure if you’ve considered that option.

• @Jimmy said:

This one started out on iOS GarageBand and got finished in Logic pro

Good job, solid production and great performances (singing and guitar playing). The vocal sound is particularly well done.

The synths in the background add just the right amount of sweetness and the arrangement is really well structured.

The video is nice touch as well.

• @Jimmy thanks :)
    The track is linear as I'm using Xequence 2 (I was using Modstep before, but as it's an abandonware...) I then play live some real time effects, sing, and play the piano.

I tried to use 3 cameras this time, they have different rates per seconds (one is 25/s the other 30/s) and it's really a pain to sync with the music with iMovie (I couldn't find a way to have multiple videos sources on a timeline, a bit like Flash...) and one of the camera didn't work on 2nd attempt, but I liked more the sound performance...
    So I've mixed video (very approximatively as I'm not so much as you can see into video stuffs...) from the first take, that's why it seems not perfectly in sync...But it is, and will always be, live. (if you consider that the main sequence playing is not a playback...)
    :)

• @crony said:
    Hello,

Hope you'll like it !

Welcome back! Good to hear a new track from you. Here are my impressions:

The piano sound at the start is beautiful. The vocal is a bit too affected though, I can't really hear the words.

I like the dark vibe of the bass and the beat is good.

The overall vibe is cool, but I think the track suffers from being a live performance, there is too much drift and repetition - I personally would prefer a much tighter arrangement with more focus. The trouble with recording a live performance is that it's too easy to get lost in the groove and so the focus is on the enjoyment of performing rather than on the listener IMO, so the flow of the song is too slow and unfocused for my taste. This could be edited down to a shorter and more effective track.

• Just wanted to thank everyone, especially the non-regulars (@JoHe @Faland @FunkMachine @mrrain @Elvisthenrodent @vitocorleone123 @DavidEnglish @qryss @crony) for taking part this month. We had a few quiet months over the summer here at the SOTMC so it's good to see more participation.

If you haven't had a chance to listen and give feedback to others don't forget to do it when you can.

• @richardyot thanks for your feedback ! Actually I think you're right, it's too long...I did a "radio edit" version 3 years ago, the live version is longer, I guess I need to make a proper studio version now !
    Good challenge for November's SOTMC... :)

• @richardyot said:
    Just wanted to thank everyone, especially the non-regulars (@JoHe @Faland @FunkMachine @mrrain @Elvisthenrodent @vitocorleone123 @DavidEnglish @qryss @crony) for taking part this month. We had a few quiet months over the summer here at the SOTMC so it's good to see more participation.

If you haven't had a chance to listen and give feedback to others don't forget to do it when you can.

And thank YOU for keeping this going!

I'll keep coming back, as I'll keep making music when I can (lots of ideas/song starts, little time... and ability to finish them).

• @Jimmy said:

Admittedly not my personal genre of choice, but well-done. I think your voice worked well with how you wrote the lyrics and the notes. I'm always impressed with people who can sing :-) And the video was well-done, too. Has a "pro" feel to it all. I also appreciated the message of the song, which helped pull me through the track.

Video location(s): where? I see footage that looks a LOT like it could be shot in WA state, but there's other places in the world that look like that, too.

• @crony said:
    Hello,

Hope you'll like it !

I did like it! I wish I both had space for more hardware AND could wring out a cool song from it like you did. Is that a basstation? I have an Ultranova sitting on a shelf and I clearly need to learn how to use the vocoder (tips welcomed in PM!). I loved the piano, though it was mixed a tad loud with the rest, and I definitely definitely loved the groove. I can't sing, but if you can at all, you could maybe turn the wetness on the vocoder down just a hair - otherwise stick with it because it helps the track like another instrument (I'm often listening to electro-industrial music). I agree with @richardyot that you got into the flow and that the track may be even better with a little trimming.

Finally, the mix itself is a little rough. I'm just a hobbyist, but I kinda enjoy mixing, so if you want to share less-processed stems or even individual tracks, I'd be happy to try and mix it free, for practice, because I enjoy that aspect as well as creating music. No promises, though, on the end result B)

• edited November 2019

@trackedout Sneaky! Right in under the Oct deadline :) I thought the lyrics were good for Halloween - nice and dark.

I loved the lofi, the vocal delivery, and all the instrumentation. The only issue I had when listening was that all the instruments seemed to get out of sync every once in awhile and even almost seem to null out or something. If you have each instrument on a separate track, hopefully you can drag on the timeline to get them more aligned. Or maybe do a little cutting and time stretching here and there to smooth things out. It'd be worth the effort for this track.

• @vitocorleone123 thanks for this feedback, really appreciate ! No bass station here, it's a Mini Nova, but here the bass is done with a bit of Zeon, Phasemaker, Model D...Then lots of AUv3 plugins...Eventide, Dubstation, some FAC chorus etc...etc...
    I agree with the piano too loud, voice also, and I've improved the bass line for the "radio edit" version...
    I'm the worst singer in the world...I'm using a preset of the MiniNova, nothing special really, I just play the notes, my voice takes the modulation... :)
    I'm going to mix it properly first, but thanks for asking, I'll see what I'll do while it's ready for mixing/remixing...

@trackedout Really funny ! To me all is "fucked up" in a very cool way :)

• @vitocorleone123 said:

@Jimmy said:

Admittedly not my personal genre of choice, but well-done. I think your voice worked well with how you wrote the lyrics and the notes. I'm always impressed with people who can sing :-) And the video was well-done, too. Has a "pro" feel to it all. I also appreciated the message of the song, which helped pull me through the track.

Video location(s): where? I see footage that looks a LOT like it could be shot in WA state, but there's other places in the world that look like that, too.

Thank you for the comments.
    Videos were shot in Canada in British Columbia and Alberta.
    (Close to WA) 🙂

• @vitocorleone123 said:
    Haven't checked in lately.... Scanned through tracks to date - need a good listen still so I can constructively comment.

I finally managed to complete another track (slow year this year). Not my best to my ears, but I like it - or I wouldn't share! I'm still 100% on the PC these days. This one was loosely inspired by Ivardensphere in terms of style and also mixing/mastering, though somehow a twang of country snuck in even though I don't like country music. Well, that's my style: just going where the music takes me.

Lots of synths on this one, including those doubling as guitar sounds. Even managed to sneak a little of my hardware SE-02 synth in, though it should be pretty indistinguishable with the quality software synths (Hive, Repro, Diva, Omnisphere and several Kontakt instruments). Warning - it's meant to have some bass to it. I think I tamed it just enough to match the style I was going for on that aspect, but watch out if you have a subwoofer.

EDIT: Hmm. Clearly I don't post tracks enough anymore since I can't get the bandcamp preview to show up. What's the secret for formatting?

callforsubmission.bandcamp.com/track/innervue

Well, here's Soundcloud, then, since BC is being annoying
    https://soundcloud.com/profile4djs/innervue

Great track. There is an electronic musician side of me, hope i can post something soon in this genre.
    This track could fit with a lot of game music i like from the 90’s
    (Turrican soundtrack on Amiga)
    Great sounding mix on my system. Cheers!

• @crony enjoyed it a lot as it starts the groove after the intro. I never understand English when it is sung so I take your voice as an instrument and I appreciate the groovy melody. I would have loved a mad saturated solo as the song flies around the middle.

• @Kitusai thanks ! I've improved the track for a next live session but also for a proper studio session, so the lyrics will be more understandable (better mic and mix...)
    I've already modified the saturation at the end, not sure about a solo as I'm not a great keyboard either... :smiley:

• Sorry guys, I was a bit absent lately. I will try to relisten and catch up with all these nice contributions. Feedback will follow.

@vitocorleone123
    Thanks! I won't remove the beginning since the track was already mastered, and I don't want to touch finished stuff again. But I can learn for the future from this feedback. I agree that the first part ia a bit long, however I think the piano break in the middle section only works this well because of the repetetive beginning. This makes the change more pronounced.

@orchardman @crony
    Thanks! I see your point, I used to have the same view about instrumentals. In recent years I became more and more bored of vocals and typical song structures though. Not to say that my track is doing it right. I can see that it doesn't really go anywhere. I have to admit that I was running out of ideas in the end of the track and just kept it as it is. I agree, it doesn't get to a plateau.

@ExAsperis99 @Elvisthenrodent @DavidEnglish
    Thanks!! Glad you liked it!

Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated.

• @Kitusai said:
    My participation for this month (from Réalité Augmentée with the painter Bruno Clochard)
    https://kitusai.bandcamp.com/track/gall-xxa

That is so interesting and tense. I like the texture of the whole thing. Marvelous.

• @kinkujin Merci beaucoup !