Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Playbeat by AUDIOMODERN EOOD

Comments

• I wish the type was big enough to read.
    Eye-strain headaches suck.

• @CracklePot said:
    I wish the type was big enough to read.
    Eye-strain headaches suck.

+1 and it needs state saving. When loaded as AU, MIDI assignments don’t stick. Otherwise it’s great!

• @david_2017 said:
    Sure, mate.

I think this screenshot explains is already pretty much. If any thing is still unclear. Let me know.

Playbeat is in a MIDI Strip.

@Prog1967 said:

@david_2017 said:
    Had a quick test with Fractal bits and this worked like a charm!

Amazing point release! Great addition to a very cool generative Plug

Hi David, can you explain to me how can I connect it to Fractal Bits? I tried to do it with no success. Thanks in advance

Thank you bro, take care

• @InfoCheck said:

A demo of how to use 4 MIDI tracks from Playbeat and Mozaic to create chromatic music with the Fractal Bits, record the audio tracks in AUM and place them in the Multi-Track timeline using the Files app. The Playbeat instance doesn’t use any sample, only MIDI output.

The Mozaic patch created by @Skyblazer.

App Store Links

1. Fractal Bits
    2. Mozaic
    3. Velocity Filter
    4. Playbeat
    5. Multi-Track
    6. AUM

Cool video. I hadn't planned to get Playbeat, but now I'll get it, in order to basically use that exact setup. Until I see a random sequencer app being used in an interesting way, my reaction is often, "What's the point?" But now I see that Playbeat could be used to create a trippy rhythmic cacophony of short sounds.

I wonder if anyone knows of any great examples of songs that feature randomized elements. I know it's possible to write one, I'm just not familiar with any. But there's probably a lot of experimental and ambient music I haven't heard.

• Has anyone got Playbeat midi working in ApeMatrix? I’m trying to get it to drive Aparillo but no sound. Both AUs

• Can someone more intelligent than I explain for @Audiomodern why the current midi implementation in Playbeat isn’t right? For example, in AUM you have to route it through AUMs midi port which I think means you cannot run multiple instances of Playbeat midi out. Whereas other midi AUs can just be routed per instance to the app you want to sequence.

• ooh, very close to buying now but lack of state save for midi assignments is a shame, has the developer mentioned they’ll add this? :)

• @j_liljedahl said:

@_ki said:
    @j_liljedahl From the screenshots it seems that on the iPads without drift AUM is running exactly 120bpm (one would see the offset after 100bars), but on iPads of users experiencing drift the bpm is minimal less than AUM states to run. I don't use an external audio card on my IPad Pro 10.5/IOS 13.1 running at 44100 Hz and 512 buffer.

I don't have any idea where this might come from.

It's normal that BPMs are not perfectly exact, especially for apps driven by the clock provided by Ableton Link SDK. Even while AUM sets the tempo to 120.0000 BPM, the actual tempo if calculating the microseconds between beats might be 119.987 etc.. And it might vary depending on device, and wether it's currently syncing via Link or not.

That's why it's important that plugins (IAA or AUv3) implements host sync correctly, and not only look at the current BPM. The BPM reported by AUM to plugins is the "ideal" tempo (120.00000), which is the tempo to aim for. But the actual timing information is carried by the beatTime value of each buffer cycle. A plugin must look at beatTime to know exactly where it is, and look at the ideal tempo to guess where it should end up after rendering the current buffer cycle.

More technical details here: http://devnotes.kymatica.com/ios_audio_sync

Great info. Are you also saying its best to work at 120 bpm whenever possible to get the best timing, Or saying 120 as a generic tempo for explanation

• @Carnbot said:
    ooh, very close to buying now but lack of state save for midi assignments is a shame, has the developer mentioned they’ll add this? :)

Like Riffer, it seems to be very good at generating usable stuff via the randomiser. I tend to stick it in along with a few other drum apps in AUM, and hit the randomiser a few times to add a bit of interest to my rhythms.

• _ki_ki
    edited October 2019

@reasOne The 120bpm was just an example bpm.

If you set xxx.00 bpm in AUM this number is reported to the AU plugins, but the actual bpm might differ by a small fraction due to several reasons (link, the device etc). This small difference between actual and reported bpm will accumulate over time to become noticable. AU plugins need to read beat time info and not use the bpm supplied to stay in sync.

Riffer and PlayBeat using the imprecise bpm to sync (and not the beat time info) would explain the observed timing drift.

• @MonzoPro said:

@Carnbot said:
    ooh, very close to buying now but lack of state save for midi assignments is a shame, has the developer mentioned they’ll add this? :)

Like Riffer, it seems to be very good at generating usable stuff via the randomiser. I tend to stick it in along with a few other drum apps in AUM, and hit the randomiser a few times to add a bit of interest to my rhythms.

Any timing drift for you like in Riffer?

• @Carnbot said:

@MonzoPro said:

@Carnbot said:

I hadn't noticed any, but I tend to just record short clips - I haven't used it for long sequences. I'll have a play with it tonight though and see how it goes.

• @MonzoPro said:

@Carnbot said:

@MonzoPro said:

@Carnbot said:

I hadn't noticed any, but I tend to just record short clips - I haven't used it for long sequences. I'll have a play with it tonight though and see how it goes.

yeah, I'd probably use it similarly, so not a huge issue if it's there anyway...

• @Skyblazer said:

@InfoCheck said:

A demo of how to use 4 MIDI tracks from Playbeat and Mozaic to create chromatic music with the Fractal Bits, record the audio tracks in AUM and place them in the Multi-Track timeline using the Files app. The Playbeat instance doesn’t use any sample, only MIDI output.

The Mozaic patch created by @Skyblazer.

App Store Links

1. Fractal Bits
    2. Mozaic
    3. Velocity Filter
    4. Playbeat
    5. Multi-Track
    6. AUM

Cool video. I hadn't planned to get Playbeat, but now I'll get it, in order to basically use that exact setup. Until I see a random sequencer app being used in an interesting way, my reaction is often, "What's the point?" But now I see that Playbeat could be used to create a trippy rhythmic cacophony of short sounds.

I wonder if anyone knows of any great examples of songs that feature randomized elements. I know it's possible to write one, I'm just not familiar with any. But there's probably a lot of experimental and ambient music I haven't heard.

The nice aspect of an app like Playbeat is that you can combine more traditional non-random elements with random ones. You can also limit the range of random values. Just the right amount of randomness can take a static random pattern and give it a little variation to make it more interesting. Arppegiators for example, usually have the option to play random notes within a specified range of octaves which when combined with a scale produces some very musical variations. Drum apps frequently vary the level and timing by small random amounts to emulate how a traditional drummer would play and sound versus a computer generate sequence where they’re the same throughout.

• edited October 2019

New Update Playbeat v1.3.0. New VST Features:

✅ MIDI Drag/export & MIDI output (individual per channel).
    ✅ Option to save presets including Samples.
    ✅ Sample Start/End-point selector.
    ✅ Back/Next selector on sample slot.
    ✅ General Improvements for Desktop & iOS.

New PlayBeat 1.3 iOS Features:

• MIDI output (individual for each channel)
    • Option to save presets with Samples
    • Sample end-point selector
    • Back/Next selector on sample slot

• Anyone else having stability issues since the update? Not only will the AU not save state in a preset in a host, I'm seeing the AU crash and lose the work I had just set up. In AUM I get a ton of reload errors and it just sits and spins in NS2.

• @lukesleepwalker said:
    Anyone else having stability issues since the update? Not only will the AU not save state in a preset in a host, I'm seeing the AU crash and lose the work I had just set up. In AUM I get a ton of reload errors and it just sits and spins in NS2.

Yes. Does not reload first time in NS2. Usually have to restart NS2. Not state saving. Otherwise it’s great.

• @lukesleepwalker said:
    Anyone else having stability issues since the update? Not only will the AU not save state in a preset in a host, I'm seeing the AU crash and lose the work I had just set up. In AUM I get a ton of reload errors and it just sits and spins in NS2.

Yes I see these issues also. Also playBeat crashes when I reload a saved preset from within playBeats AU-window in AUM...

• @lukesleepwalker said:

Had issues with the update 2 data's ago. It bulked BM3 cutting off all sound. Tried it in Auria Pro sent my CPU through the roof 100%+ again messed up the sound!

• OK, thanks for confirming! I'll drop the developer a note but I'm guessing they are aware already based on the ubiquity of the issues.

• V1.3.1 on the AppStore with save state fix

• @gsm909 said:
    V1.3.1 on the AppStore with save state fix

Tried it in NS2. Loaded properly and state saved. 😎

• Yes! Everything in AUM ok now too. Thank you.

• I'm still getting crashes. Will try to log them for the developer.

• @gusgranite said:
    I'm still getting crashes. Will try to log them for the developer.

Deinstall and Reinstall? I have no more any crashes and problems with reloading.

• Update fixed issues here too.

• @Audiomodern Any chance you could make the Solo and Mute buttons work on the midi channels? Loving the app and thanks for your efforts.

• @RJB said:
    @Audiomodern Any chance you could make the Solo and Mute buttons work on the midi channels? Loving the app and thanks for your efforts.

+1 Please and thank you

• edited October 2019

@gusgranite said:

I’m getting crashes still as well, but I’ve narrowed it down to midi sources. I’m not sure if it’s midi input or output but if a source is added while the plugin is loaded it will crash. An easy work around for the time being is just make sure Playbeat is loaded last.
    I’m using iOS 13.1.3 on iPad Pro 2017 and iPhone 8+ experiencing the same issue on both when loading midifire

• @ImortalTrashcan said:

@gusgranite said:

I’m getting crashes still as well, but I’ve narrowed it down to midi sources. I’m not sure if it’s midi input or output but if a source is added while the plugin is loaded it will crash. An easy work around for the time being is just make sure Playbeat is loaded last.
    I’m using iOS 13.1.3 on iPad Pro 2017 and iPhone 8+ experiencing the same issue on both when loading midifire

I can confirm this behavior. I had Playbeat loaded driving to two separate channels in AUM playing iSem and HeavyBrass. Adding Lumbeats FunkDummer IMMEDIATELY crashed Playbeat.