Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Phase clicks

Does anyone know how to get rid of phase clicks, probably using audioshare. Mainly for beat stutter function via midi beat pads, or is it sort of a flaw with software beats.

Thanks.

Comments

• wimwim
    edited October 2019

Phase clicks? Do you mean clicks when the sample repeats? Or clicks within the sample itself? Some more specifics about what you’re doing might help you get better answers.

AudioShare does allow you to apply a short fade in and out that can help to reduce clicks. Other editors such as twisted wave let you trim samples at “zero crossings”. Starting or ending a sample at a non-zero amplitude will produce a click, so this is a way to get rid of clicks at the start or end.

• Hi wim. What you are explaining, yes. Elastic drums has stutter effects but might be an issue, generally, unless can fix with zero crossing software. Started to see some benefits of software drums but am used to triggered repeats. Do you think twisted wave can fix a beat so it can repeat rapidly up to 16 times? Not just with elastic drums though. Considering buying a 2nd ipad for drums machines.

Cheers wim.

• Hi @sigma79, if a sample can repeat one time without clicks, it can repeat a million times without clicks. Twisted wave and AudioShare should both be able to let you edit samples so that they don’t click.

You can do a lot in Elastic drums with the envelopes as well. If you set the envelope release to fade the sample out before the end, that can work as well, without having to edit the sample.

• Ok mate. Will try setting envelopes. Maybe its Volca drum. Sort of zappy by nature. Any advice on setting up a beat before sampling. Attack, decay, loudness etc and does Audioshare have the means like Twisted wave?

• AudioShare can put a short fade at the beginning and end of samples. This can usually reduce or eliminate clicks. It’s not the same as removing the source of the click by cutting at a zero crossing but it can often do the job.

• Just out of interest, anyone know if NanoStudio 2 can reliably cut at a zero crossing?

Is it enough just to zoom in really really close and then just chop when the sound wave crosses the mid vertical line? Would that be enough to kill a click at the start/ end of a sample where it loops?

• @Matt_Fletcher_2000 said:
    Just out of interest, anyone know if NanoStudio 2 can reliably cut at a zero crossing?

Is it enough just to zoom in really really close and then just chop when the sound wave crosses the mid vertical line? Would that be enough to kill a click at the start/ end of a sample where it loops?

Yes, that is enough.
    I haven’t done enough sample editing in NS2 to comment on the accuracy of the editor though.

• wimwim
    edited October 2019

Note: there are other things besides clicks that can make loops sound bad. It’s all about the continuity of sound between the beginning and end. An ideal loop is usually taken from the middle of a passage, for instance bar 2 of a three bar repetition. That way the bleed over from the previous loop is overlapping the beginning of the loop.

That’s not important if the sample is silent at the end ... but then you probably don’t have clicks anyway.

• edited October 2019

Edit:ignore this

• Do you think ipad 6th generation 32gb will be enough for beats as fac bandit can be 50 percent cpu and tb enhancer about 30 percent cpu on an ipad air 2019. If using an iconnect audio 4+, then can you put apps bought on another ipad and is just a case of using aum and or audiobus for routing anything?

• @sigma79 said:
    Do you think ipad 6th generation 32gb will be enough for beats as fac bandit can be 50 percent cpu and tb enhancer about 30 percent cpu on an ipad air 2019. If using an iconnect audio 4+, then can you put apps bought on another ipad and is just a case of using aum and or audiobus for routing anything?

In the long run, if you haven't yet purchased your iPad, you would be wise to purchase one with larger storage capacity -- especially if you might use sample instruments or do a lot of recording. 32 GB may sound like a lot but it isn't. I thought that my 128GB would be way overkill but am now very happy that I spent the extra money (I think the price difference was less than $100 at the time).

• edited October 2019

@sigma79 said:
    Do you think ipad 6th generation 32gb will be enough for beats as fac bandit can be 50 percent cpu and tb enhancer about 30 percent cpu on an ipad air 2019. If using an iconnect audio 4+, then can you put apps bought on another ipad and is just a case of using aum and or audiobus for routing anything?

How is FAC Bandit at 50% CPU on an Air 2019? Using Cosmic Abyss Reverb setting in NS2 on my Air 1 (2013) is under 30% CPU. Just curious because I plan to upgrade soon.

• Not sure. 40-50 percent but then I added multiple and it stays the same but Doug on youtube ( thesoundtestroom ) uses an ipad 2018 and his is 30 something. Got flight mode on. Apps like phasemaker are about the same when ipad were new, around 5 percent.

espiegel123. 32gb not enough as an additional ipad, along with ipad air 3?

• @sigma79 said:
    Not sure. 40-50 percent but then I added multiple and it stays the same but Doug on youtube ( thesoundtestroom ) uses an ipad 2018 and his is 30 something. Got flight mode on. Apps like phasemaker are about the same when ipad were new, around 5 percent.

espiegel123. 32gb not enough as an additional ipad, along with ipad air 3?

Thanks! I’ll check Doug’s video

• Its about 35 or the same as Dougs.

• CPU meter is a liar.
    :D

• @CracklePot said:
    CPU meter is a liar.
    :D

The CPU meter is only fully meaningful when you approach 100% because until then you don't know if the CPU numbers are the result of throttling.

You might this of interest: https://wiki.audiob.us/cpu_load_comparisons_and_testing

• I find twisted wave much better at finding start and ends of a loop as opposed to audioshare. Much better zooming. Not as good as logic though.

• Thanks for replies. Might upgrade audio interface for another computer.

• @wim said:

@Matt_Fletcher_2000 said:
    Just out of interest, anyone know if NanoStudio 2 can reliably cut at a zero crossing?

Yes, that is enough.
    I haven’t done enough sample editing in NS2 to comment on the accuracy of the editor though.

You can zoom up to level where you see individual samples (those dots)... so you can go VERY precise :) Of course of there is not sample exactly crossing zero , you need cut it as closest to zero as possible, then select 2-3 points and apply "fade in" or "fade out"

Wave editor in NS is very fast, very intutitive and can easily handle even very long files ...

Especially for finding perfect loop it is very good because you con't need zoom / unzoom all the time - you simply select just rough loop, then you zoom to detail of starting point - you use for moving starting point left handle .. when you tap on right handle, it instantly jumps to end of loop, with preserved zoom level ! This is very cool, you can instantly jump between start and end of loop and don't need to zoom out / zoom in all the time like in most audio editors ...