Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Playbeat by AUDIOMODERN EOOD

Comments

• Now with midi out. Nice update 👍

• It's basically a list of the four biggest requests from all of us. Super excellent and way to listen to your customers, dev!

• Woohoo! Lovely update. Will grab it shortly.

• @_ki said:
    @j_liljedahl From the screenshots it seems that on the iPads without drift AUM is running exactly 120bpm (one would see the offset after 100bars), but on iPads of users experiencing drift the bpm is minimal less than AUM states to run. I don't use an external audio card on my IPad Pro 10.5/IOS 13.1 running at 44100 Hz and 512 buffer.

I don't have any idea where this might come from.

It's normal that BPMs are not perfectly exact, especially for apps driven by the clock provided by Ableton Link SDK. Even while AUM sets the tempo to 120.0000 BPM, the actual tempo if calculating the microseconds between beats might be 119.987 etc.. And it might vary depending on device, and wether it's currently syncing via Link or not.

That's why it's important that plugins (IAA or AUv3) implements host sync correctly, and not only look at the current BPM. The BPM reported by AUM to plugins is the "ideal" tempo (120.00000), which is the tempo to aim for. But the actual timing information is carried by the beatTime value of each buffer cycle. A plugin must look at beatTime to know exactly where it is, and look at the ideal tempo to guess where it should end up after rendering the current buffer cycle.

More technical details here: http://devnotes.kymatica.com/ios_audio_sync

• @Jumpercollins said:
    Now with midi out. Nice update 👍

Awesome! Look forward to the Riffer update too.

• edited October 2019

It doesn't show up as a midi generator in AUM... You have to set the midi-settings in playBeat manually: midi out to AUM and AUM Destination in recieving app(s) and then it works.
    EDIT: but it doesn't savestate these midisettings...

• @j_liljedahl Thanks a lot for the explanation and the link !

• @Harro, just noticed the same (in their Riffer AU they managed to send out the midi directly... )

• @Harro said:
    It doesn't show up as a midi generator in AUM... You have to set the midi-settings in playBeat manually: midi out to AUM and AUM Destination in recieving app(s) and then it works.

Yep. Not exactly what we were hoping for as I was thinking we'd get an AU MIDI out as in Riffer. Maybe in time it'll arrive?

On the plus side, being able to save the samples makes it a more useful instrument.

• edited October 2019

Anyone got it set up so it’s driving eg pulse well in AUM? Just had a quick play and can get the upper left pad to respond.
    Set playbeat’s midi to Aum and in eg pulse’s AUM channel “AUM Destination.” For each playbeat lane midi out have tried setting midi channels to 1, 10, etc.
    Only that one upper left pad responds in EG.

• @bounce said:
    Anyone got it set up so it’s driving eg pulse well in AUM? Just had a quick play and can get the upper left pad to respond.
    Set playbeat’s midi to Aum and in eg pulse’s AUM channel “AUM Destination.” For each playbeat lane midi out have tried setting midi channels to 1, 10, etc.
    Only that one upper left pad responds in EG.

My guess: you should set the pitches for playBeats 4 instruments to notes that corresponds with EG's instruments and LOCK these playBeats' pitches if you use randomization.

• edited October 2019

Ya, Had a similar thought. I set the pitch ranges on Playbeat wide and hit the randomize dice to see if I could get any more note hits in eg pulse and I couldn’t. Guess I’ll go in there and find out what the notes are. Hope we can get some template maps and ability to state save settings in the AU.

• Had a quick test with Fractal bits and this worked like a charm!

Amazing point release! Great addition to a very cool generative Plug 💪🏼

• @david_2017 said:
    Had a quick test with Fractal bits and this worked like a charm!

Amazing point release! Great addition to a very cool generative Plug

Hi David, can you explain to me how can I connect it to Fractal Bits? I tried to do it with no success. Thanks in advance

• how do you change the midi note number each track plays? right each track is playing the same note

• @eross said:
    how do you change the midi note number each track plays? right each track is playing the same note

In the normal way.
    There are Steps/Pitch/Volume lanes per track.
    Use the Pitch lane to change the notes.

• @lukesleepwalker said:

@Harro said:

Yep. Not exactly what we were hoping for as I was thinking we'd get an AU MIDI out as in Riffer. Maybe in time it'll arrive?

On the plus side, being able to save the samples makes it a more useful instrument.

This is better for sending to any Midi ports on any Channels you want.
    The other way would give you just 1 port/ 16 channels.
    The way it is gives you way more options.

• @bounce said:
    Ya, Had a similar thought. I set the pitch ranges on Playbeat wide and hit the randomize dice to see if I could get any more note hits in eg pulse and I couldn’t. Guess I’ll go in there and find out what the notes are. Hope we can get some template maps and ability to state save settings in the AU.

It would be cool if the template maps also included scales as well as drum app mapping.

• edited October 2019

Sure, mate.

I think this screenshot explains is already pretty much. If any thing is still unclear. Let me know.

Playbeat is in a MIDI Strip.

@Prog1967 said:

@david_2017 said:
    Had a quick test with Fractal bits and this worked like a charm!

Amazing point release! Great addition to a very cool generative Plug

Hi David, can you explain to me how can I connect it to Fractal Bits? I tried to do it with no success. Thanks in advance

• @BiancaNeve said:

@bounce said:

It would be cool if the template maps also included scales as well as drum app mapping.

Agree that it would be nice to have scales but perhaps we should wait and see about the Riffer update. Riffer scales work great and I assume those scales aren't included here due to overlap with Riffer.

• perfect thanks guys

• @lukesleepwalker said:

@BiancaNeve said:

@bounce said:

Agree that it would be nice to have scales but perhaps we should wait and see about the Riffer update. Riffer scales work great and I assume those scales aren't included here due to overlap with Riffer.

If you put Scalebud or Rozeta Scaler after it do you get what you need?

• A demo of how to use 4 MIDI tracks from Playbeat and Mozaic to create chromatic music with the Fractal Bits, record the audio tracks in AUM and place them in the Multi-Track timeline using the Files app. The Playbeat instance doesn’t use any sample, only MIDI output.

The Mozaic patch created by @Skyblazer.

App Store Links

1. Fractal Bits
    2. Mozaic
    3. Velocity Filter
    4. Playbeat
    5. Multi-Track
    6. AUM
  • It’s a little bit annoying that muting a track doesn’t stop midi being sent from that track

• edited October 2019

Midi out :#
    Awesome - off to the app store.... hits breaks.

Does each track have its own output?
    This is a clincher for me.

• @Mayo said:

Yes you can set the midi channel for each track

• @gsm909 said:

@Mayo said:

Yes you can set the midi channel for each track

As well as individual midi ports/destinations.

• LOVING midi out!

@Audiomodern I’m getting a Playbeat crash in AUM when adding or removing one of the Lumbeat drum apps when Playbeet is configured for midi out.

• Couple bugs maybe: Mutes in playbeat don’t mute the midi going to eg pulse. Gear icon in playbeat won’t open settings now, instead playbeat’s “undo” icon lights up.

Still trying to suss out how to get one instance of playbeat to play different notes in one instance of eg pulse.

• @bounce said:
    Couple bugs maybe: Mutes in playbeat don’t mute the midi going to eg pulse. Gear icon in playbeat won’t open settings now, instead playbeat’s “undo” icon lights up.

Yes, definitely need the mute and solo to work on midi. Also be great if the save files would save the midi routing.

This little beauty is like it was made for OP-Z, 4 tracks of midi to the 4 drum tracks on OP-Z = fun!