Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

MultiTrack Recorder Plugin by 4Pockets.com

Comments

• @mjcouche said:
    @auxmux How are you taking advantage of the range of 24bit? I'm simply curious.

It's more that 24bit is a standard for recording, creating stems, etc. these days, and it's what I use whether I'm working on desktop or recording in AUM.

An option for switching between 16bit and 24bit should solve this.

For now, I can see myself importing stems into MTR but not recording in it.

I love that it has fades for audio files and that recording transient tails is super easy which requires workarounds in AUM.

• edited October 2019

@mjcouche said:
    @auxmux How are you taking advantage of the range of 24bit? I'm simply curious.

This is mostly for mixing and FX processing that 24 and 32 bits gives a big advantage, it will sounds much more full and provides more headroom, even if you render final export to 16 bit or even AAC you will hear the difference. Or a raw file unprocessed mono or stereo the difference is more subtle. I also think that this AU should benefit of 24 or even 32 bits recording, especially with hosts working at that bit depth, as I suppose there is no internal dithering.

• 16bit recording is more than enough ,as long as you don’t clip .

For mixing , most hosts use 32bit precision so don’t worry for 16bit recording, it’s different thing.

• edited October 2019

To what @Janosax mentioned, I use a lot of effects and the rendered file is noticeably lower quality. I was using it to record my master track rather than individual AUs.

• @auxmux said:
    To what @Janosax mentioned, I use a lot of effects and the rendered file is noticeably lower quality. I was using it to record my master track rather than individual AUs.

If you could upload 2 takes ,it would be interesting to hear the results.
    I suppose that the effects used are from the host ,so you still use the host’s bit depth .

• There’s really only one feature I will request (you guys have been taking care of all my others), I’d like the option to be able to use this in the Output slot of AUM & Audiobus instead of the Effect slot only.

• edited October 2019

Yeah would like a 24 bit option too :)

• The new update - allowing it to play samples in sync in AUM - looks great so far. I’ll now use it a lot.

• +1 for 24bit here as well

• @BiancaNeve said:

@DCJ said:
    This is great! Lot of uses for this. Is there no way to save the song with a name of your choosing?

You can create a new song with a name of your choosing by pressing the song button

Well the problem is that when you open it the app is starts as the default song and if you start working and saving, there is no option to save it with the name of your choosing. A save as option would fix this.

• edited October 2019

Hope someone can come up with a video for setting this up with AUM still mystified after the update for recording loops.

• edited October 2019

For the Fence Sitters (me) - Now bundled with DigiStix.

https://apps.apple.com/us/app-bundle/audio-creatives-3-auv3-bundle/id1484498009

• edited October 2019

@royor said:

It must be missing a 3rd app or something.
    My bundle costs $15, but D-stix only costs $9.
    I already bought MTS for $10.

Ah cool.
    Now bundle costs $5.
    That is a good deal.

• @DCJ said:

@BiancaNeve said:

@DCJ said:
    This is great! Lot of uses for this. Is there no way to save the song with a name of your choosing?

You can create a new song with a name of your choosing by pressing the song button

Well the problem is that when you open it the app is starts as the default song and if you start working and saving, there is no option to save it with the name of your choosing. A save as option would fix this.

I agree. Another benefit of a SaveAs is that if you open SongA and make changes but want to leave the original intact, you could save it as SongB. I can't remember what they are, but some other apps don't give you that option either, although the SaveAs apps far outnumber them. I can't think of another way to do it. The only thing I can think of is to create SongB from scratch and import what you want from SongA, which is more confusing, error-prone and time-consuming.

• @NoiseHorse said:
    There’s really only one feature I will request (you guys have been taking care of all my others), I’d like the option to be able to use this in the Output slot of AUM & Audiobus instead of the Effect slot only.

You can put the standalone in the AUM output slot, if that helps.

• @Jumpercollins said:
    Hope someone can come up with a video for setting this up with AUM still mystified after the update for recording loops.

+1

• @Jumpercollins and @JohnnyGoodyear

Here is a quickly made video showing AUM’s workflow. No speech not text, you have to use those buttons: host sync, monitor, punch in, punch out, record. And AUM transport slider. Hope this helps :)

• edited October 2019

@royor said:

Ah cool, that knocks it down to seven quid for me. That makes a change, bundle deals usually pop up after I've bought everything.

• @MonzoPro said:

@royor said:

Ah cool, that knocks it down to seven quid for me. That makes a change, bundle deals usually pop up after I've bought everything.

Ah yes, the benefits of being a fence sitter.. :D Good that it worked out in your favor this time.. and for me too.. I don't have either app yet..

• @royor said:

@MonzoPro said:

@royor said:

Ah yes, the benefits of being a fence sitter.. :D Good that it worked out in your favor this time.. and for me too.. I don't have either app yet..

I missed the Riffer/Playbeat bundle by about a day, so glad to get this one.

Digistix is good, but I'd question needing it of you have EG Pulse, since there's a fair bit of overlap with those two.

Can't see any reason for me not to grab MTS now though - it seems to have a few weird niggles, but for seven quid I can live with them.

• Here’s a quick run through using MultiTrack inside of NanoStudio 2. In the screen recording, i show how i am starting to use it to record 4 bar loops from Aparillo in order to build up textured pads. Because of the long reverb tails on the Aparillo Pads, i should be recording these as 8 bar loops...but i try and make up for it at the end of the video by adding Barricade and Reverb to the overall captured sounds in MT, and noodling with their fade out times.

As always, thanks for watching and let me know if you have any questions or if you have any suggestions on improving what i am showing,

Cheers.

• @MonzoPro said:
    Digistix is good, but I'd question needing it of you have EG Pulse, since there's a fair bit of overlap with those two.

The main differentiator for DigiStix IMO is the capability for five layers per pad with either round robin or velocity layers. On the other hand, pulse has slicing. I fluctuate back and forth between these two myself. My favorite is both. ;)

• @NoiseHorse said:
    There’s really only one feature I will request (you guys have been taking care of all my others), I’d like the option to be able to use this in the Output slot of AUM & Audiobus instead of the Effect slot only.

I'm curious why this makes a difference to you in Audiobus?

• I did not buy this so far, also because there seem to be some things that need to be fixed first.

But asking anyway:

Why would you need an AU Multitrack App compared to something like MultiTrack DAW or simply Cubasis or Auria Pro?

Normally, you just want to record tracks "somewhere" and then work on those tracks.
    Perfectly possible with those non-AU Apps, or?

I don't fully understand what's better with an AU App.

Dare to explain?
    Please

• edited October 2019

@tja said:
    I did not buy this so far, also because there seem to be some things that need to be fixed first.

But asking anyway:

Why would you need an AU Multitrack App compared to something like MultiTrack DAW or simply Cubasis or Auria Pro?

Normally, you just want to record tracks "somewhere" and then work on those tracks.

Dare to explain?
    Please

I think this app is really for people who prefer using AUM/AudioBus for their workflow. The additional short term benefit is for users of NanoStudio 2, which i walk thru above.

If you’re a Cubasis, GarageBand, Auria or BM3 user, it’s probably not for you. My workflow is the one i sighted above, so its a great tool for my needs.

• @wim said:

@MonzoPro said:

The main differentiator for DigiStix IMO is the capability for five layers per pad with either round robin or velocity layers. On the other hand, pulse has slicing. I fluctuate back and forth between these two myself. My favorite is both. ;)

Aha, I haven't explored the round robin shenanigans, will have to try that out.

Yeah both good - I'm partial to the acoustic drum kits in DigiStix, so it gets a bit of use with those fellers :)

• @wim said:

@NoiseHorse said:

I'm curious why this makes a difference to you in Audiobus?

I don’t yet have the app so I may be speculating in ignorance. But I typically like to crank up an input app in AB, then add effects in the middle slot, then send it to the output app for recording. Same for vocals or guitar. I want 4 Pockets to be my destination for all my wonderful 4 Pockets effects.

• @CracklePot said:

@NoiseHorse said:

You can put the standalone in the AUM output slot, if that helps.

That may be the information I need to pull the trigger. Thank you!

• edited October 2019

Could someone please test the time stretch and tell me if it works for them?

Here is what I'm doing...

1) With BMP @ 120.... I turn off the metronome and count-in functions.

2) I Start recording, then play four measures of something freehand.
    ......My resulting tracks are around 3.5 Measures long @ 120BPM......

3) Then I crop the track start and end points using the drag handles (getting rid of the empty space at the beginning and the end of the recording).

4) I select this cropped track, then go to the Time Stretch function and select "16" (To hopefully stretch the 3.5 Bars so it will fill 4 full bars @ 120BPM).

The result is the track stays the same, and the app tells me it saved a copy in the pool. The copy in the pool is the original un-cropped track.

If instead of 16, I time stretch that same cropped clip to "4" in the time stretch menu.. it seems to just cut the length in half.

BUT... If I play a loop in perfect tempo to the App's metronome and create a track that required no cropping. The Time Stretch function will work on that clip.

In the App's HELP section, under "Time Stretch" is says:
    "Time Stretch can be used to stretch small loops in order to match a specified tempo without changing it's pitch. This is useful when importing loops that don't match your current tempo settings."

So.... I'm guessing I'm not asking the App to do anything it's not supposed to be able to do?

• @echoopera said:

@tja said:
    I did not buy this so far, also because there seem to be some things that need to be fixed first.

But asking anyway:

Dare to explain?
    Please

I think this app is really for people who prefer using AUM/AudioBus for their workflow. The additional short term benefit is for users of NanoStudio 2, which i walk thru above.

If you’re a Cubasis, GarageBand, Auria or BM3 user, it’s probably not for you. My workflow is the one i sighted above, so its a great tool for my needs.

I also mostly use AudioBus / AUM!
    Beside recording in AUM/AudioShare or sometimes in Loopy, I also record in MultiTrack DAW (or even Cubasis) from there:

I am just curious for what you would need an AU or what positive effects this may have.

I just can't imaging and it feels like this is the main argument towards this App.

But I read, that it can be used also as standalone.

In this case, what can it do better than AudioShare, MultiTrack DAW, Loopy, Cubasis or Auria Pro for recording audio?