Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

It was 4Pockets! MultiTrack Recorder! Video and App Store Links in OP

12346»

Comments

• edited October 2019

@AndyPlankton said:

@wim said:
    Some of the sync and automation choices in this thing aren't as well thought through as the rest of the app. I need to collect my thoughts and see if 4Pockets will be open to suggestions. Some simple things would make this more useful in a lot of ways. 4Pockets was very open and responsive once I got his attention last time.

Yeah, starting to realise some of its limitations, in an AUM context anyway....
    You can only use host sync if you are not looping...so it's fine for full length playback of your arrangement, but does not help if you are recording loops.....haven't yet determined if when not using host sync, does it sync at all or just rely on tempo being the same and a synchronised start.....for recording played stuff not so much of an issue, but for sequenced or LFO synced it could be a problem. Can an AU sync to link when not using host sync ?

Without Host Sync there is no sync at all, useful only to arrange parts. But for loop making in host mode, just use punch in/out and swipe AUM transport to move AU cursor before recording a few bars before punch in:

Not very user friendly but that works, I was able to record 4 Ruismaker Noir variations that way. This can’t be done with Audiobus nor ApeMatrix unfortunately, as there is no time transport slider in them, so it’s much more limited.

• @Janosax said:

@AndyPlankton said:
    Yeah, starting to realise some of its limitations, in an AUM context anyway....
    You can only use host sync if you are not looping...so it's fine for full length playback of your arrangement, but does not help if you are recording loops.....haven't yet determined if when not using host sync, does it sync at all or just rely on tempo being the same and a synchronised start.....for recording played stuff not so much of an issue, but for sequenced or LFO synced it could be a problem. Can an AU sync to link when not using host sync ?

Without Host Sync there is no sync at all, useful only to arrange parts. But for loop making in host mode, just use punch in/out and swipe AUM transport to move AU cursor before recording a few bars before punch in:

Of course ! ... thanks :)

• Sure would be nice if all AU hosts had a graphical timeline representation with loop points, given that this is part of Apple's code for transport state.

• edited October 2019

It’s behaving weirdly in GarageBand

![](https://forum.audiob.us/uploads/editor/9n/

• @Janosax said:
    Without Host Sync there is no sync at all, useful only to arrange parts. But for loop making in host mode, just use punch in/out and swipe AUM transport to move AU cursor before recording a few bars before punch in...

They used to call it pre-roll (and post-roll after the punch section's end)

... This can’t be done with Audiobus nor ApeMatrix unfortunately, as there is no time transport slider in them, so it’s much more limited.

That's probably the reason why pre/post is not implemented

• Standalone mode is 48k. On my Air 1 default is 44.1k. So if I work in the standalone and bring that song into NS2 I get that warning.

Many of the questions people have had are addressed in the in-app help. I finally took a minute to read through it. 😆

• The nice man at 4 pockets advised me that I needed to make a new song in multi track. After I did that it worked as expected.
    Mind you he stressed that he didn’t recommend it for GB.
    But I think it will make a nice way to get smart instruments and drummer tracks into other apps.

• so is there a way to trim clips ?

• @eross said:
    so is there a way to trim clips ?

Yes. Touch the clip and 5 squares will appear on the corners and top center of the clip. The bottom two are for shortening the clip from the beginning or end, the top two corners are for fade in and fade out, and the top-middle one is to change the clip volume.

(Assuming you don't have the app yet. If you do, check the help - it describes it better than I did.)

• @Janosax said:

Oh wow, thanks! I didn't know you could do that with the transport in AUM. That helps a bunch!

@4Pockets checked in on the other thread to say that there's a 1.01 version coming that will address timeline independence.

@4Pockets said:
    The next version will allow you to play back loops using AUM's transport controls. In version 1.01 you can simply enable 'Remote' without selecting 'Host Sync'. This will enable AUM's controls to start/stop MTR. Just make sure both host and local tempo are set up the same. Only when Host Sync is enabled will the play cursor move with the host.

• @wim said:

@eross said:
    so is there a way to trim clips ?

Yes. Touch the clip and 5 squares will appear on the corners and top center of the clip. The bottom two are for shortening the clip from the beginning or end, the top two corners are for fade in and fade out, and the top-middle one is to change the clip volume.

(Assuming you don't have the app yet. If you do, check the help - it describes it better than I did.)

very cool. thanks

• Is there a way to synch Polyphase to AUM so that I might record the audio into this recorder?
    I really need it to start from the beginning and not punch in part way through.
    Cheers Guys

• @Metalman said:
    Is there a way to synch Polyphase to AUM so that I might record the audio into this recorder?
    Cheers Guys

In AUM, set it to send Midi Clock to PolyPhase.
    In PolyPhase, in the Midi settings, set it to receive Midi Clock from PolyPhase, and tap Generate Clock to turn it off.

Now PolyPhase will not generate its internal clock, and will follow AUM Midi Clock.

• @CracklePot said:

@Metalman said:
    Is there a way to synch Polyphase to AUM so that I might record the audio into this recorder?
    Cheers Guys

In AUM, set it to send Midi Clock to PolyPhase.
    In PolyPhase, in the Midi settings, set it to receive Midi Clock from PolyPhase, and tap Generate Clock to turn it off.

Now PolyPhase will not generate its internal clock, and will follow AUM Midi Clock.

Cheers buddy, slowly getting there.

• edited July 2020

I wish @4Pockets will sort out the bugs and make it more reliable