Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

MultiTrack Recorder Plugin by 4Pockets.com

Comments

• @wim said:

@audio_DT said:
    I'm about to pull the trigger on this but I'm slightly confused by one little thing: if I record a bit a synth in AUM into an audio track in this app, can I loop that audio ad infinitum? I'm happy, for now, to just loop other bits of audio in other instances of the app. Thanks.

Sadly, this is pretty poorly thought out. Syncing to AUM disables looping. If you disable host sync then you can loop ... but the app doesn't start / stop when you hit play in AUM. It badly needs another option to sync to host tempo and transport only. Right now sync only works with following AUM's timeline position.

Shame, so it doesn’t work as a looper that syncs to host BPM currently?

• @wim said:

@audio_DT said:
    Just tried it. It's basically a work in progress, isn't it? It works - kind of. But without the ability to loop within a given range it's not properly usable for me just yet. I've no doubt this issue will be resolved soon enough, though, because the dev is usually quick to sort this kind of thing. I think this need is so great that he'll get it sorted.

Just to clarify - you can loop within a given range. You just need to turn off Host Sync. If you're just looping material from MultiTrack and don't need to sync with other apps, that's not so bad. It's just short of what would make it super useful. Probably @4Pockets just didn't anticipate that kind of usage. Hopefully we can change his mind. B)

Yeah, get the turning off host sync thing, but it's not really very useful in most circumstances, that, is it? What I'd like to happen - as I'm sure we all would - is to be able to record a clip and then have it loop over a given set of bars. Should be possible, as far as I can tell, though I'm no expert.

• @[Deleted User] said:

@wim said:

@audio_DT said:
    I'm about to pull the trigger on this but I'm slightly confused by one little thing: if I record a bit a synth in AUM into an audio track in this app, can I loop that audio ad infinitum? I'm happy, for now, to just loop other bits of audio in other instances of the app. Thanks.

Sadly, this is pretty poorly thought out. Syncing to AUM disables looping. If you disable host sync then you can loop ... but the app doesn't start / stop when you hit play in AUM. It badly needs another option to sync to host tempo and transport only. Right now sync only works with following AUM's timeline position.

It doesn't. It doesn't loop at all, I don't think.

• Parts can’t be moved on iPhone 7 Plus iOS 12.3.1. Need to be fixed.
    I can’t resize nor split them too, is it possible on iPad?

• @audio_DT said:

@[Deleted User] said:

@wim said:

@audio_DT said:

Yes, it can loop. Just not when connected to host sync. You can set the tempo manually to match the host, and press play in the app and it'll play back the looped area.

Looping is done by setting a region in the timeline ... which I find to be pretty difficult and frustrating to do, but works.

• How's the time stretch? Anyone tried it?

• edited October 2019

@Janosax said:
    Parts can’t be moved on iPhone 7 Plus iOS 12.3.1. Need to be fixed.
    I can’t resize nor split them too, is it possible on iPad?

@Janosax On a iPad yes you can to the above just tried split and move it’s a bit fiddly at times can’t see a resize option only timestretch under the plus + button.

• @wim said:

@audio_DT said:

@[Deleted User] said:

@wim said:

@audio_DT said:

Yes, it can loop. Just not when connected to host sync. You can set the tempo manually to match the host, and press play in the app and it'll play back the looped area.

Looping is done by setting a region in the timeline ... which I find to be pretty difficult and frustrating to do, but works.

Ah, I see. Thanks for the info. Still a faff, mind. I'll wait til an update to sort it properly, I think.

• I've emailed Paul, the developer, with this request and an encouragement to check out the two threads.

• How does this compare to EG Pulse?

• @Mayo said:
    How does this compare to EG Pulse?

Same as my iPad compares to my coffee pot.

• Its just a recorder. You still need something before to record but with said apps you might want to recorded, you can add notes, remove notes and everything else an instrument provides. You can only sort of arrange a recording. Think people are wondering how it works along with drum machines, synths and samplers.

• How will this work in AUV3 mode as an arrangment across auv3 but also arranged to fit xequence. Not sure why people are concerned about host sync or not.

With xeqeunce also which I guess is like a typical DAW structure. I was expecting timeline to go on for ages but I think it goes to 32 or 33 bars. Thought it would be easier for me to just record on an infinate line but there has to be a reason DAWs work sort of a loop. Maybe its better?

• @Mayo said:
    How does this compare to EG Pulse?

Hmmm. They both do timestretch. Is that what you meant? Pretty different otherwise.

• @sigma79 said:
    How will this work in AUV3 mode as an arrangment across auv3 but also arranged to fit xequence. Not sure why people are concerned about host sync or not.

With xeqeunce also which I guess is like a typical DAW structure. I was expecting timeline to go on for ages but I think it goes to 32 or 33 bars. Thought it would be easier for me to just record on an infinate line but there has to be a reason DAWs work sort of a loop. Maybe its better?

There used to be a 64 bar limit. That was removed in Xequence 2 v2.0.4 three months ago. Before then there was a workaround if you placed an empty pattern further out in the timeline.

• Cheers Wim. Havent even used a grid, so loops and mutes is a wierd concept when I sent midi to xequence. Thought it would be infinate timeline ( I even bought a kitchen countdown timer ) What about bar limit on multitrack recorder?

• @wim said:

@hellquist said:
    Further to that, it would be even better if hosted apps could set the loop pointers...such as Xequence (which can't host Multi-Track Audio itself) for example.

Indeed. But really, it's the host that should do this. AUM has the concept of a timeline. MultiTrack can follow it. But AUM can't follow another app's timeline position. If it could then everything else would fall into place.

If AUM could just pass through the MIDI SPP (Song Position Pointer) received from Xequence 2 to the hosted app then Multitrack would be able to follow Xequence 2 timeline.

@j_liljedahl would it be possible to implement this feature in AUM? Or is there any major restriction for this?

• Not buying app until fixed. ( not sure what everyone is complaining about )

• @Rodolfo said:

@wim said:

@hellquist said:
    Further to that, it would be even better if hosted apps could set the loop pointers...such as Xequence (which can't host Multi-Track Audio itself) for example.

Indeed. But really, it's the host that should do this. AUM has the concept of a timeline. MultiTrack can follow it. But AUM can't follow another app's timeline position. If it could then everything else would fall into place.

If AUM could just pass through the MIDI SPP (Song Position Pointer) received from Xequence 2 to the hosted app then Multitrack would be able to follow Xequence 2 timeline.

@j_liljedahl would it be possible to implement this feature in AUM? Or is there any major restriction for this?

Wouldn't a better solution be for AUM itself to follow the SPP?

• @wim said:

@Rodolfo said:

@wim said:

@hellquist said:

Sorry for my poor English @wim , that’s what I’m trying to express. If AUM could follow SPP then it would be able to pass this through to the hosted apps.

• @Rodolfo said:

@wim said:

@Rodolfo said:

@wim said:

@hellquist said:

Sorry for my poor English @wim , that’s what I’m trying to express. If AUM could follow SPP then it would be able to pass this through to the hosted apps.

👍🏼 That would be fantastically helpful! I hope @j_liljedahl will consider it.

• edited October 2019

To me it seems mostly interesting with AUM as AUM allows to move MTR transport cursor on the timeline via AUM transport slider. But it’s not very ergonomic to use.

Audiobus hasn’t got any time control, so if you stop it MTR goes to zero, not usable to really do something with more than 4 bars. MTR is a bit rudimentary IMO but a very good step in the right direction for AU’s/dawless audio recording and sequencing. Hope it will be improved however. For building stems, it seems to me that Blocswave and Grouptheloop are still better suited to do the job, from my workflow perspective at least. Also, audio recordings could benefit from micro fade in/out to avoid audio clicks, and definitely parts moving need to be fixed on iPhone version.

Edit: also, files are in 16 bits when GTL uses 32 bits. Export BTW don’t work on iPhone, no button to save file in location. Have to use copy to clipboard then paste in AudioShare. When GTL can export all stems in one pass.

• edited October 2019

@wim said:
    I've emailed Paul, the developer, with this request and an encouragement to check out the two threads.

Did you mention the quirky drag handles on the corners of the track boxes?

I'm finding a simple task like cropping the track length, takes me multiple, multiple.... and sometimes multiple tries before the crop capability will let me actually drag the crop handle (instead of deselecting the track).... and it's driving me crazy....

I can't properly assess this app until the drag handles work properly (for me anyway).

I'm seeing much promise for this new App..... Once all the functions work as expected.

2017 Gen 5 iPad iOS 12.4.1

• @horsetrainer said:

@wim said:
    I've emailed Paul, the developer, with this request and an encouragement to check out the two threads.

I'm finding a simple task like cropping the track length, takes me multiple, multiple.... and sometimes multiple tries before the crop capability will let me actually drag the crop handle (instead of deselecting the track).... and it's driving me crazy....

I can't properly assess this app until the drag handles work properly (for me anyway).

I'm seeing much promise for this new App..... Once all the functions work as expected.

+1 regarding track handles.

• @ALB said:

@horsetrainer said:

@wim said:

+1 regarding track handles.

That, and also trying to adjust the loop length in the timeline bar.... Ahhhhhhhhhhh.

I'm going to like this App once all the quirks are fixed.
    I really like how easy it is to save an audio clip from the audio pool to the files app.
    This App has the prospect of being massively usefully recording utility.... Once all is operational and good.

• I didn’t mention it because I hadn’t noticed any issue. I did mention I find it difficult to set the loop region on the iPad though.

• @wim said:
    I didn’t mention it because I hadn’t noticed any issue. I did mention I find it difficult to set the loop region on the iPad though.

I'll load the App on my 6th Gen iPad running iPadOs, and see if if it makes a difference.

• For organization’s sake, I hope we can get some control over names in the Pool. Anything you import also gets named with the next available S00000x name too. I’m liking what I can do so far, but it does appear the app needs some maturing.

• edited October 2019

@horsetrainer said:

@wim said:
    I didn’t mention it because I hadn’t noticed any issue. I did mention I find it difficult to set the loop region on the iPad though.

I'll load the App on my 6th Gen iPad running iPadOs, and see if if it makes a difference.

The drag handle issue occurs on my 6th Gen iPad also... but not as severe as on my 5th Gen iPad.

Basically to reproduce... Create new track... Zoom in... Tap on track to select... The Crop drag handles work most dependably the first time I adjust the length of the track.

But if I deselect the track... Long press and move it... And generally try to make more than just one crop adjustment....
    The crop handles start to deselect the track every time I try to adjust them.

It's like the App is getting confused by trying to do to multiple adjustments in succession on the same track.

The best clue I can provide is when I use my Apple Pencil to crop a track on my 6th Gen iPad.....

I start with newly made track... Make some crop adjustments using the Apple Pencil by placing the stylus precisely in the center of the little white square drag handle.... But after a few track selects and reselects, placing the stylus precisely in the center of the little white square drag handle then deselects the track... But on the right side drag handle only.

I experimented by placing the pencil stylus in different places, and discovered that the crop activating area shifted to the left side of the little white box.

I then used my finger to the left side of the drag box and it worked from that position.

I noticed that triple tapping to select a track can sometimes reset the drag boxes.

My Gen 5 iPad has this issue worse than my 6th Gen.

On the Gen 5 it seems like the crop activating area shrinks to the size of a single pixel on both the left and the right drag handles. Apple pencil is not compatible with Gen 5 iPad so I cannot test using that.

Suggest others try on their iPads to investigate extent of affected devices.

REGARDING DRAGGING LOOP RANGE....

Loop Drag function works at first with "snap" set to "BEAT"....
    But, after adjusting Snap grid to smaller range, Loop Drag becomes unstable.
    Reseting to "BEAT" does not reset Loop Drag to "Beat", it remains unstable.

EDIT: I was mistaken. Resetting to BEAT does restore Loop Drag function.
    It was when I set the Snap to 1/4 that it remained unstable.

• edited October 2019

@dendy said:

@spiteface said:

@Harro said:

@zeropoint said:
    I can’t figure out how to drag clips to re-arrange on the timeline. Is it possible or do you have to move using copy , paste , delete ?

You have to use select and hold for at least a second and then the clip can be moved to where you want.. I find it strange that you cannot delete a selected clip in the timeline: only cut (to the clipboard).

This is not working for me :(

tap and hold - after a while move mode is activated

but it doesn't work on iPhone, or just rarelay, in most cases move mode is not activated

i found way how to start drag almost always

• i unset clip if it is selected
    • now i tap very fast with relative high pressure

in 90% of cases after a half of second with high pressure it starts drag