Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

MultiTrack Recorder Plugin by 4Pockets.com

Comments

• edited October 2019

@mistercharlie said:
    I sometimes feel that recording songs on iOS is one big workaround.

Ahhh, mobile music...

• @lukesleepwalker said:

@mistercharlie said:

Reading this thread led me to the exact observation.

A story of a song I tried,
    Recordings to make, instead I cried
    try this, try that,
    workarounds galore
    I wish a time when this no more.

• I finding it’s actually working better in NS2 than in AUM for using the host sync and recording using the remote option every stops starts perfectly in NS2 having trouble using the remote function in AUM things are not going as smoothly maybe due to this loop thing AUM is missing.

• Is it possible to rename files in the pool?

• I can’t figure out how to drag clips to re-arrange on the timeline. Is it possible or do you have to move using copy , paste , delete ?

• Anyone tried this with ApeMatrix?

• edited October 2019

• So can you only arm and record to 1 track at a time?

I appreciate you can multi dub into 1 track.

• @mistercharlie said:

Haha ya it kinda is if you take the standard current day daw approach to things. Working around iOS to comply , or meet that method / workflow is going to result in work arounds ...
    1 for limited power the iPad can give up, and remain a multi purpose tool that isn’t designed specifically for any one purpose
    2 a wire free set up.. meaning no hardware to actually wire, in an under developed virtual environment...
    But I think if we can overlook the fact it isn’ta daw friendly world, and look at it as if we have all the pieces we need, but have to rethink their connections we can find creative ways to do anything.
    I approach making a track like if I lived in the 70s/80s and someone from the future visited and dropped off an iPad, how would use it similarly to how I used the equipment out that time lol...
    That’s how it feels to me, like a future thing jumped into the past, hard to explain but thinking a bit less daw like and more 4-8 track like how would I understand the iPad.
    I like it honestly, there are things I’d love to see but man we have some great apps and options even if we have to connect them differently and approach building a song with a method that isn’t the 2019 standard

• Isn’t life itself one big workaround, though? 😊

• edited October 2019

iOS is limitless. I'm making music iOS only since summer 2010 and never missed desktop. I like changing my workflows, adjusting them to outer conditions, searching workaround - it inspires me. It forces me go out of my comfort zone which in most cases leads to new discoveries and new musical ideas. I'm making music probably since 1995, but i think best pieces i made (most complex in terms of composition and sound design) were born on iOS, not on desktop.

I'm also NEVER looking what features will have some app in future. This leads JUST to frustration. I'm using what is there now, don't looking behind me but also don't looking ahead me. Past and future doesn't exist, there is just NOW.

• edited October 2019

Does this Auv3 support automation of AU-parameters in AUM or Audiobus?

• @zeropoint said:
    I can’t figure out how to drag clips to re-arrange on the timeline. Is it possible or do you have to move using copy , paste , delete ?

You have to use select and hold for at least a second and then the clip can be moved to where you want.. I find it strange that you cannot delete a selected clip in the timeline: only cut (to the clipboard).

• @reasOne said:.
    I like it honestly, there are things I’d love to see but man we have some great apps and options even if we have to connect them differently and approach building a song with a method that isn’t the 2019 standard.

I’m constantly experimenting with new iOS music workflows...connect this to that, record that with this, remix it over here...usually by the time i find a way to do what I want, It’s so complicated that it takes all the “flow” out of “workflow.” There are some streamlined tools I love (such as NS2), but there’s always something big that gets in the way (such as no audio tracks😆). Sometimes it almost—but not quite—makes me want to go back to Windows musicmaking.😂

• sometimes the restriction or the limit is the gateway to creativity -- I was doing lots of instagram stuff back in the early days. much typography and that kind of stuff. It would have been very very easy to use photoshop, but the limit of iOS and mobile photo editing was sparking my creativity most of the time ; )

• edited October 2019

Bought it, will try it out, but based on the number of questions here, I went to "App Support" in the App Store looking for a manual or documentation of any kind and was directed to the "kal group", which doesn't have anything app-specific that I can see. A manual (not a video) as always would be very helpful. I'll look for in-app help, which is a remotely distant second-best (unless you can create a pdf out of it so you can look at it in a separate window from the app).

• May I suggest moving to
    https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/35283/it-was-4pockets/p1

It will be easier than multithreading :)

• Thanks. Was trying to do it with my Apple Pencil, which appears impossible. Works fine with finger touch.

I’m also finding moving between the mixer view and a workable arrangement view that shows all eight tracks at decent resolution on my mini 5 a bit of a faff. Would be handy for one or other to be a drop down view.....

• @lukesleepwalker said:

@mistercharlie said:

Reading this thread led me to the exact observation.

The iOS music ecosystem seems to be WAY more about “grooves” and “jams” than it is about song production. > @dendy said:

iOS is limitless. I'm making music iOS only since summer 2010 and never missed desktop. I like changing my workflows, adjusting them to outer conditions, searching workaround - it inspires me. It forces me go out of my comfort zone which in most cases leads to new discoveries and new musical ideas. I'm making music probably since 1995, but i think best pieces i made (most complex in terms of composition and sound design) were born on iOS, not on desktop.

I'm also NEVER looking what> @Shabudua said:

@reasOne said:.
    I like it honestly, there are things I’d love to see but man we have some great apps and options even if we have to connect them differently and approach building a song with a method that isn’t the 2019 standard.

I’m constantly experimenting with new iOS music workflows...connect this to that, record that with this, remix it over here...usually by the time i find a way to do what I want, It’s so complicated that it takes all the “flow” out of “workflow.” There are some streamlined tools I love (such as NS2), but there’s always something big that gets in the way (such as no audio tracks😆). Sometimes it almost—but not quite—makes me want to go back to Windows musicmaking.😂

+1 ^

I took the wheels off my car and I was challenged to drive it. I was able to use the radio, and the lights, and open and close the doors. ...also, I couldn’t actually drive it anywhere. 😉.

• Anyway, my hat is off to anyone who can make the music they want to make with iOS. I just happen to need regular computers also. to each their own.

• edited October 2019

@ZenLizard said:
    Anyway, my hat is off to anyone who can make the music they want to make with iOS.

Same. And I do believe the truly efficient workflows are coming to iOS. In fact, with the explosion of incredible apps we’re seeing right now, i believe it’s imminent.

• Does timeline offer a measure grid when recording? > @Telefunky said:

AUM provides routing and signal distribution, while Multitrack Recorder adds the missing timeline.
    The timeline is built up from MTR's audio pool, not AUM's.
    It's a well considered solution focussed on recording - not a general purpose audio editor.
    There are limitations, but they make it fast if it fits your workflow.

• edited October 2019

@dendy said:

I'm also NEVER looking what features will have some app in future. This leads JUST to frustration. I'm using what is there now, don't looking behind me but also don't looking ahead me. Past and future doesn't exist, there is just NOW.

I like to think about what is coming up (NS2 audio tracks (next week, right?? ;) ) as when it shows up on the trail I am ready to pounce it, rip out it's jugular and feast on the deliriously savory goo within.

• @Maarten said:
    Use in Nanostudio 2 seems limited. Because Nanostudio doesn’t provide the option to select external audio inputs (iPad mic or audio interface) you can’t record external audio into multitrack recorder within the Nanostudio ecosystem. That’s a serious bummer. Well, at least it works brilliantly within AUM. Many thanks to the developer of 4 Pockets for another wonderful app!

So what inputs does it take in NS2? Is it other synths already in NS2? That seems redundant unless you are trying to freeze a track.

Can it take inputs from Audiobus in NS2?

• @peanut_gallery said:

@Maarten said:
    Use in Nanostudio 2 seems limited. Because Nanostudio doesn’t provide the option to select external audio inputs (iPad mic or audio interface) you can’t record external audio into multitrack recorder within the Nanostudio ecosystem. That’s a serious bummer. Well, at least it works brilliantly within AUM. Many thanks to the developer of 4 Pockets for another wonderful app!

So what inputs does it take in NS2? Is it other synths already in NS2? That seems redundant unless you are trying to freeze a track.

Can it take inputs from Audiobus in NS2?

Currently, NS2 it is only synths/effects in the project. But even that is super helpful. Freezing tracks is a HUGE benefit for those using CPU-heavy synths. As @dendy mentioned elsewhere, you can run MultiTrack as a synced standalone to record from other audio inputs and the tracks will be available in the MultiTrack AU inside NS2.

• I bought this and it’s nearly perfect for what I wanted. However, after importing/recording I see now way to move the clip around within a track. If that is indeed the case, it will be so close but ultimately useless for me.

• @spiteface said:
    I bought this and it’s nearly perfect for what I wanted. However, after importing/recording I see now way to move the clip around within a track. If that is indeed the case, it will be so close but ultimately useless for me.

6:04 ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=367&v=c_HeGvupJps

• @Harro said:

@zeropoint said:
    I can’t figure out how to drag clips to re-arrange on the timeline. Is it possible or do you have to move using copy , paste , delete ?

You have to use select and hold for at least a second and then the clip can be moved to where you want.. I find it strange that you cannot delete a selected clip in the timeline: only cut (to the clipboard).

This is not working for me :(

• I’m happy to use this in AUM. AUM is a great app, but recording has always been painful. Or rather, recording is easy, but playing it back is hard. This is an almost perfect solution.

I know lots of people are against representing their audio clips on parallel horizontal tracks, but it sure is a handy way to see where you are. The beauty of putting tracks in an AU is that you can use them when they make sense, and combine them with other methods — loppers and clip launchers.

For me, this is the perfect first step when improvising. I usually end up in GarageBand, but trying to use AUs and AU FX in there is worse than painful.

• edited October 2019

IOS apps have pretty much never prevented me getting the result I was after. Often I was surptised that I could do more than I first thought. I have never experienced an interrupted ‘workflow’ - a) It’s not ‘work’ and b) it always ‘flowed’ regardless. If a few hurdles could prevent me getting my ideas realised, they probably just weren’t worth the effort.