Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

MultiTrack Recorder Plugin by 4Pockets.com

https://apps.apple.com/app/id1483833410

Description:

This is an AUv3 compatible Multi-Track Recorder plugin specifically designed for AUM and other DAW's that don't support audio recording capabilities.

MultiTrack can be used for a host of purposes such as a tool for recording and layering audio for export to other DAW's , creating that perfect loop for other third party applications or recording vocal sessions to accompany you in AUM. Its uses are endless.

It features the ability to record up to 8 mono or stereo audio tracks per instance, with the ability to run multiple instances under the control of your host DAW. MultiTrack has the ability to run standalone using it's own transport or synced to a host which allows synchronous control of multiple instances.

MultiTrack supports various recording modes including the ability to set punch in and out points for sample accurate recordings. Press the Host Sync in order to the advantage of the hosts transport controls or enable the remote button to enable host recording controls (great for NS2).

Use the Audio Pool window to quickly and easily import, export and perform mix-downs of audio clips. Quickly and easily move audio files using drag and drop to the time line or between the audio pool and the Files App. Imported audio is automatically converted to the projects sample rate. The audio pool also features the ability to copy and paste audio directly from the iOS pasteboard as well as preview and manage your data.

An intergrated 8 channel mixer allows you to control the level, pan and effect send levels. Although AUM allows some great routing options for third party effects, MultiTrack also includes an extremely CPU friendly beat synced delay and reverb which can be used where recording pre-effected instruments is not an option.

MultiTrack allows per clip volume level as well as being able to control start and end cropping and fade in/out on a clip by clip basis. All these operations are quick and easy to make using the touch screen alone.

Also included is the ability to perform operations such as splitting, normalising, reversing and time stretching of audio clips all with a multi-level undo built right in. A comprehensive set of selection, copying and duplication tools make editing a breeze.

Each track has it's own mute, solo and metering which can also be used to monitoring incoming signal levels. Finally you have the ability to mix down a selected range of your song or create perfectly looped samples for use in other DAW's , samplers and drum machines such as DigiStix.

Features:

○ 8 tracks per instance.
○ Mixer with level, pan and effect settings.
○ Mix mono or stereo clips on a track.
○ Built in CPU friendly delay and reverb.
○ Multi-level undo function.
○ Loop play and record modes (when not synced to host).
○ Mix-down facility.
○ Cut, copy, paste and duplicate clips.
○ Ability to sync to host tempo.
○ Metronome with count-in.
○ Drag and drop support with the Files App.
○ Backup and Restore of individual songs.
○ Automatic conversion of imported audio.
○ Zoom mode for use when cropping clips.

Comments

• edited October 2019

Looks really great :)
    But how do we record 8 tracks at once when used in AUM?

• On the timeline, after splitting a small section to reverse or timestretch, all other sections also get effected even when the other sections are on different track.

It would be great if edit fx can be applied to only a selected part of the waveform.

• @jolico said:
    On the timeline, after splitting a small section to reverse or timestretch, all other sections also get effected even when the other sections are on different track.

It would be great if edit fx can be applied to only a selected part of the waveform.

As I understand it if you rename the clip in the pool effects are only applied to that clip - any effects applied apply to all clips with the same name.

• So, just for my clarification: is this usable as a timeline synced audio channel/clip holder with AUM/Xequence? Or does that combo fail on the fact that AUM/AB doesn't do timelines and loop points, which then negates the benefit Multi-Track Audio could bring? Or am I missing something?

• Looks good! Just bought group the loop a couple weeks ago so not sure that I’ll need this rn but def keeping an eye on it. Still wouldn’t be mad to see gtl become an AU tho 😏

• AUM provides routing and signal distribution, while Multitrack Recorder adds the missing timeline.
    The timeline is built up from MTR's audio pool, not AUM's.
    It's a well considered solution focussed on recording - not a general purpose audio editor.
    There are limitations, but they make it fast if it fits your workflow.

• This is fantastic. Works great in AudioBus as well as AUM.

• @hellquist said:
    So, just for my clarification: is this usable as a timeline synced audio channel/clip holder with AUM/Xequence? Or does that combo fail on the fact that AUM/AB doesn't do timelines and loop points, which then negates the benefit Multi-Track Audio could bring? Or am I missing something?

So, just to clarify my question: AUM doesn't do loop markers and such, but it does do routing. Xequence does timelines and you can set loop markers, but it doesn't host AU's. Multi-Track Audio, which is an AU, can record audio and follow timelines and loop pointers. Can all of these be combined so I could loop a segment in Xequence whilst doing various test recordings in Multi-Track Audio and all the (3) timelines would live a happily combined life in sync?

• Can you arm several tracks at once per au instance, or do you record one track at a time..
    If Only one track at a time I suppose you could load a instance into a few channels and record into separate instances all at once then combine the audio from then back into a single instance...🤪

• Looks like one at a time. But you can record into multiple instances, and the audio is all saved into the same audio pool.

• @mistercharlie said:
    Looks like one at a time. But you can record into multiple instances, and the audio is all saved into the same audio pool.

Which is boot cool and not cool :-) Imagine half year from now you will have tons of recorded audio from various project inside one big pool.. not ideal.. some folders would be nice there ...

• anybody try this with ns2? interested to see if it’ll work in there

• edited October 2019

@hellquist said:

@hellquist said:
    So, just for my clarification: is this usable as a timeline synced audio channel/clip holder with AUM/Xequence? Or does that combo fail on the fact that AUM/AB doesn't do timelines and loop points, which then negates the benefit Multi-Track Audio could bring? Or am I missing something?

So, just to clarify my question: AUM doesn't do loop markers and such, but it does do routing. Xequence does timelines and you can set loop markers, but it doesn't host AU's. Multi-Track Audio, which is an AU, can record audio and follow timelines and loop pointers. Can all of these be combined so I could loop a segment in Xequence whilst doing various test recordings in Multi-Track Audio and all the (3) timelines would live a happily combined life in sync?

I'd be happy if I'm wrong, but I think you see the limitations of an IAA-based midi sequencer here. The multitrack AU can get song position and loop markers from its host. I don' think an IAA-based app can send midi commands to inform a plugin about position and loop markers (unless that plugin were hosted by the midi sequencer, then I suppose IAA transport also could do the job. But for that, the AU plugin would need to be hosted in the IAA app).

• Sounds like an ideal file looper running alongside other tracks in AUM.

• So this could be considered a/the long awaited Audiobus DAW?
    Hmmmm.

• Use in Nanostudio 2 seems limited. Because Nanostudio doesn’t provide the option to select external audio inputs (iPad mic or audio interface) you can’t record external audio into multitrack recorder within the Nanostudio ecosystem. That’s a serious bummer. Well, at least it works brilliantly within AUM. Many thanks to the developer of 4 Pockets for another wonderful app!

• @bleep said:

@hellquist said:

@hellquist said:

I'd be happy if I'm wrong, but I think you see the limitations of an IAA-based midi sequencer here. The multitrack AU can get song position and loop markers from its host. I don' think an IAA-based app can send midi commands to inform a plugin about position and loop markers (unless that plugin were hosted by the midi sequencer, then I suppose IAA transport also could do the job. But for that, the AU plugin would need to be hosted in the IAA app).

Is Xequence an IAA based midi sequencer though? To me it, theoretically (as I have yet to pull the trigger on Multi-Track Audio), might/can fall down on what I described: Xequence can't host AU (for example Multi-Track Audio) and AUM can't do loop points and will reset the timeline (and Xequence will wish to "own" the timeline, in a set-up where the AU is hosted under another timeline).

The reason I'm asking is obviously because AUM/Xequence often is mentioned as the main DAW-less alternative, but has so far had the limitation of that AUM needs to record from the start (wether there is audio or not) to be able to play that audio at the correct position in the timeline. I currently struggle to see how that situation is fixed now and thus would like to hear from someone who has all the apps, use the workflow and can tell me if it works (or not).

Using a DAW obviously will remove the obstacles of timelines vs audio recordings, but would, for obvious reasons, not be DAW-less. :)

What I am after is to be able to use the best midi editing environments available (which, IMHO, currently are Xequence and NS2) but I also would like to have a streamlined workflow where I easily can add my guitar (ideally via Bias FX, which indeed is IAA) and also DrumPerfect Pro (which also is IAA). I was hoping that Multi-Track Audio would be able to aid me in this.

• Will this app compliment and improve the workflow of any looper thinking along the lines of Quantiloop Pro etc.Tried Group The Loop and it wouldn’t load.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • The remote recording works great with BeatMaker 3 not keen on BM3 sequencer timeline view so may use this instead !

• How about inside GarageBand? At least you’d be able to export your stems ;)

• @Maarten said:
    Use in Nanostudio 2 seems limited. Because Nanostudio doesn’t provide the option to select external audio inputs (iPad mic or audio interface) you can’t record external audio into multitrack recorder within the Nanostudio ecosystem. That’s a serious bummer. Well, at least it works brilliantly within AUM. Many thanks to the developer of 4 Pockets for another wonderful app!

you can record external audio in standalone version of multitracl while Nanostudio is still running / playimh on background ... after you switch back to NS, you will have available audio recorded in standalone version inside plugin "audio pool" too, somyou can drop it to plugin timeline ;)

plus you can record all audio on track if you load it as AUfx... it follows both song position and song loop, so at least with this feature it works better than in AUM :-))

• edited October 2019

@dendy said:

@Maarten said:
    Use in Nanostudio 2 seems limited. Because Nanostudio doesn’t provide the option to select external audio inputs (iPad mic or audio interface) you can’t record external audio into multitrack recorder within the Nanostudio ecosystem. That’s a serious bummer. Well, at least it works brilliantly within AUM. Many thanks to the developer of 4 Pockets for another wonderful app!

you can record external audio in standalone version of multitracl while Nanostudio is still running / playimh on background ... after you switch back to NS, you will have available audio recorded in standalone version inside plugin "audio pool" too, somyou can drop it to plugin timeline ;)

plus you can record all audio on track if you load it as AUfx... it follows both song position and song loop, so at least with this feature it works better than in AUM :-))

How would you sync the recordings using this approach though? Is there a way to sync the timeline of the standalone version of Multitrack? Or do you just have to sync manually?

For vocals, which usually start on the beat preceding the bar, being able to sync the timelines is really important, and loop recording (which can only start on beat one) is no good.

So my approach so far is to run AUM and NS2 simultaneously, using Link to lock them together, and record audio in Multitrack from AUM, then export to Multitrack in NS2. It's cumbersome but it means I can easily sync the recordings.

• @Jumpercollins said:
    The remote recording works great with BeatMaker 3 not keen on BM3 sequencer timeline view so may use this instead !

Good call man! Also imma try it in gtl if I get it

• Can you glue together separate pieces of audio for moving a track with multiple cuts along the timeline as one?

• I sometimes feel that recording songs on iOS is one big workaround.

• edited October 2019

manually yes, i tried tomrecord some live playing on hw synth and i had mo issue.. i just pressed record before and then i started played when i want - then i shortened recorded audio beginning ;)

then export to Multitrack in NS2.

you can skip "export" part ... imediatelly you record something in any instance in any host, it appears in audio pool in all imstances of all hosts

• I wonder what functionality this will bring to the more esoteric hosts like Moebius Lab, iPulsaret, ZMors Modular, iDensity etc?

It might be the synced loop recorder ApeMatrix was missing as well?

• @dendy said:
    you can skip "export" part ... imediatelly you record something in any instance in any host, it appears in audio pool in all imstances of all hosts

Ah yes, I did wonder why all these extra files were there, now it makes sense!

• @mistercharlie said:
    I sometimes feel that recording songs on iOS is one big workaround.

Reading this thread led me to the exact observation.