Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Novation Launchkey Mini Mk3

Comments

• Are you unplugging the camera connection kit from your device? Or just the usb cable?

The first method should work, the second won’t and probably never will. It’s an Apple thing, the USB must be connected first when using cck.

Very happy with these pads and that arpeggiator is the best I’ve seen on any midi controller or hardware synth. Deviate and Mutate feels like there’s a team of tiny composers living inside this thing.

• edited October 2019

I tried both. I even went to components.novationmusic and updated my firmware because it said I had an update.

Still fc
    I’m guessing it might be ampifys latest update. Probably gonna need ios13 (I hope that’s not the case yet)
    Think I’ll try an uninstall and re...first.

Other than GB force closing, I’m digging this mini a whole lot. Love that arp!

• edited October 2019

Have you turned off bootloader mode yet?

Power on the keyboard while holding shift and press the bright yellow pad until it’s not bright anymore. It appears as an external hard drive when this mode is enabled. It’s on there for fast access to the software bundle on desktop, recommended to disable that after the initial setup.

• ok Thanks I did that and made it dim yellow but...
    I just figured out what was happening!

I had my Launchkey 49 mk2 still plugged into my usb hub. Oof. Guess they both can’t be plugged in for groovebox to work. ?hrmm

all fixednow thanks guys!!

• Yeah can imagine they would be fighting for control in that case. Glad you got it sorted!

• @cuezaireekaa said:
    ok Thanks I did that and made it dim yellow but...
    I just figured out what was happening!

I had my Launchkey 49 mk2 still plugged into my usb hub. Oof. Guess they both can’t be plugged in for groovebox to work. ?hrmm

all fixednow thanks guys!!

Was just about to say this, yes GB crashes if you have more than one Launchkey connected.

• Just to let everyone know that I purchased a 3 port USB hub from Amazon and am using it with the Mk3 keyboard, without any additional battery pack or outlet power. I was surprised that this would work, as I assumed I would need to connect it to a powerbank.

• @Musicfan said:
    Just to let everyone know that I purchased a 3 port USB hub from Amazon and am using it with the Mk3 keyboard, without any additional battery pack or outlet power. I was surprised that this would work, as I assumed I would need to connect it to a powerbank.

Think it depends on the iPad. Are you using a Pro?

• No , I am using the 2018 iPad

• Just got mine.

Can’t wait to play with it and groovebox.

• @Charlesalbert said:
    Just got mine.

Can’t wait to play with it and groovebox.

:)
    Can't wait to hear your impressions. Let us know once your engineer there gets it all set up.

• I’m interested to hear how someone with MPK Mini and/or Korg NanoKey Studio thinks about this new controller.

• edited October 2019

Had an akai mini mpk before. This is a lot better.

In descending order my favourite things on the Launchkey are...

Arpeggiator
    The Arp
    Mutate on the arpeggiator
    Deviant behaviour involving the arp
    Those pads
    Are very expressive
    Ableton integration
    Groovebox integration
    Custom templates
    Quality software bundle

The price is very nice too

• My two little engineers like the keyboard very much.

So much that they are trying to play with it instead of me.

I have the mk2 and also the Mpk mini and I find this keyboard far superior.

I love groovebox integration on IOS and arpeggiator and chord features.

Also this keyboard feels more solid then the Mpk2.

I have played with it 20 minutes and I like it very much.

• @supadom said:

>

First of all the dreaded power issue. It won’t power off the iPad...

Not sure I can live with that.

Secondly the pads are small (again that was to be expected) for playing percussively...

I can live with that, I use an AKAI for drumming

Thirdly, the keys are clunky and plasticky. Way behind Arturia’s mini lab mk2 and at about the same level like mpk but less mushy. In fact I personally prefer akai tbh but that’s probably because I’m used to them. Having said all this the keys on many boutique offerings from Yamaha, Roland etc. are as plasticky so maybe that’s the norm. On the whole they suck...other than mini lab 2.

>

This is a major issue. Arturia Minlab/Keystep are my standard for mini keys (dunno why folks just don't copy their size and design already). But I detest Akai's. Hardly even use my APK 25 with Ableton anymore, considering selling it to buy an LPX.

Anyway, thanks for your thorough assessment because I was considering buying this since it's a mini controller with MIDI out. But nah, not without low-power mode and definitely not with those keys.

• Of all the mini keyboards available I think the Launchkey Mini mk3 is the best. I love my nanoKey Studio, but the playability of the keys is not ideal. The nanoKey Studio is great with Gadget...but as of late I've been having a lot of fun with GrooveBox and BM3...

The mk3 paired with BeatMaker3 is smooth...love the 16 pads and 2 octave keys, Arp, Fixed Chords and Play/Record buttons to make creating Patterns easy peasy.

• @echoopera said:
    Of all the mini keyboards available I think the Launchkey Mini mk3 is the best. I love my nanoKey Studio, but the playability of the keys is not ideal. The nanoKey Studio is great with Gadget...but as of late I've been having a lot of fun with GrooveBox and BM3...

The mk3 paired with BeatMaker3 is smooth...love the 16 pads and 2 octave keys, Arp, Fixed Chords and Play/Record buttons to make creating Patterns easy peasy.

Thanks @echoopera and @BlueGreenSpiral

I think I’m off to grab one. I’d like after touch but it isn’t a deal breaker.

Have you tried to map changing banks or patterns in BM3 with the arrow keys @echoopera ?

BM3 is definitely where it will be used most for me. Currently use Roli blocks and Nanokey Studio both leaving much to be desired of late.

I’m very happy they crammed transport controls onto it as many mini keyboards don’t have it.

• edited October 2019

@WillieNegus said:

@echoopera said:
    Of all the mini keyboards available I think the Launchkey Mini mk3 is the best. I love my nanoKey Studio, but the playability of the keys is not ideal. The nanoKey Studio is great with Gadget...but as of late I've been having a lot of fun with GrooveBox and BM3...

Have you tried to map changing banks or patterns in BM3 with the arrow keys @echoopera ?

Yep. Up and Down buttons change Banks. Note, the Shift +Button won’t work though...but you can at least Use the Custom view to use the drum pads for some other functions. I use the Custom for Stop and Octave UP/Down

BM3 is definitely where it will be used most for me. Currently use Roli blocks and Nanokey Studio both leaving much to be desired of late.

I’m very happy they crammed transport controls onto it as many mini keyboards don’t have it.

• edited October 2019

• Bought.

Wanted to buy local from GC but they’re out of stock. Get this, they want me to wait 5 days to have one in store. The location in West Palm Beach an hour north has plenty. Why 5 days? Meanwhile, Amazon will bring it Wednesday. Sheesh.

Wouldn’t good business be GC just ordering it from Amazon for me If delivery between locations is that bad?lol Yikes. Not winning or retaining customers this way for sure.

• Congrats. You’ll love it. In the meantime start flexing in BM3 and think about how you want to map the mk3 to your workflow and setup.

• @echoopera said:
    Congrats. You’ll love it. In the meantime start flexing in BM3 and think about how you want to map the mk3 to your workflow and setup.

Good advice indeed. Make sure to share any tricks, maps or tips you find especially any related to Ampify’s suite and BM3.🙏🏽

• edited October 2019

@WillieNegus said:

@echoopera said:
    Congrats. You’ll love it. In the meantime start flexing in BM3 and think about how you want to map the mk3 to your workflow and setup.

Good advice indeed. Make sure to share any tricks, maps or tips you find especially any related to Ampify’s suite and BM3.🙏🏽

You got it. I like to over share when it comes to music making and iOS 👊🏼™️

• @echoopera said:

@WillieNegus said:

@echoopera said:

Yep. Up and Down buttons change Banks. Note, the Shift +Button won’t work though...but you can at least Use the Custom view to use the drum pads for some other functions. I use the Custom for Stop and Octave UP/Down

What about the Arp/Fixed Chord buttons? Can those be mapped inside of BM3? I have those set on my MK2 to change tracks but if the Shift function doesn't work then I don't think its worth the upgrade

• @YZJustDatGuy said:

@echoopera said:

@WillieNegus said:

@echoopera said:

What about the Arp/Fixed Chord buttons? Can those be mapped inside of BM3? I have those set on my MK2 to change tracks but if the Shift function doesn't work then I don't think its worth the upgrade

Yeah I use midi learn while holding shift and using those two buttons and it works fine. Should be good in bm3

• edited October 2019

@BlueGreenSpiral said:
    Just noticed this on Facebook.

This video looks like false advertising to me. Look at the cable setup - he’s not connected to any power but the Launchkey is working with the iPad. How’s that happening?

• @Michael_R_Grant said:

@BlueGreenSpiral said:

This video looks like false advertising to me. Look at the cable setup - he’s not connected to any power but the Launchkey is working with the iPad. How’s that happening?

Powered via the iPad ?

• @Korakios said:

@Michael_R_Grant said:

@BlueGreenSpiral said:

Powered via the iPad ?

But it can’t be powered via the iPad.

• @Michael_R_Grant said:

@Korakios said:

@Michael_R_Grant said:

@BlueGreenSpiral said:

Powered via the iPad ?

Maybe the new pros with usbC can, don’t know, just a speculation

• @Korakios said:

@Michael_R_Grant said:

@Korakios said:

@Michael_R_Grant said:

@BlueGreenSpiral said:

Powered via the iPad ?

Maybe the new pros with usbC can, don’t know, just a speculation

Most probably...