Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Discord 4 Update - Midi Input Added

Discord 4 just added Midi input allowing you to “play” the pitch bend.

Comments

• iPhone 6s.
    Deleted the app before it was updated.
    Installed the updated version.
    Now it doesn’t work. App closes and AuV3 is not available either.

• edited October 2019

@jolico said:
    iPhone 6s.

It's changed it's AU type, now it's a "music effect" so would have to reloaded if saved in a previous session.
    Also some hosts don't allow music effect AUs yet so it might be missing in those hosts.

• @Carnbot said:

@jolico said:
    iPhone 6s.

It's changed it's AU type, now it's a "music effect" so would have to reloaded if saved in a previous session.
    Also some hosts don't allow music effect AUs yet so it might be missing in those hosts.

Thanks. Got AuV3 to work, but IAA doesn’t open at all.

• edited October 2019

@jolico said:

@Carnbot said:

@jolico said:
    iPhone 6s.

Thanks. Got AuV3 to work, but IAA doesn’t open at all.

I have the same issues with some IAA/Au apps. I need to unplug my audio-interface (Focusrite) to get them open.
    @deltaVaudio Spaceship , Eventide Blackhole , Dischord4 (not the previous version!!) all hang with empty screens until the quit as long as my Focusrite is connected.
    So - try to launch it with your audio-interface disconnected.

No problems in AU view though.

• -ipadpro- Not reloading when saved in previous projects, a lot of hard work lost by this update. The message I get is "Discord4 is not installed" but I may open new instances.

• edited October 2019

Same here on both iOS12 and 13.
    IAA crashes, AUv3 works in hosts supporting MIDI input in AU FX
    (Success using apeMatrix here).

MIDI input is even more fun when using multiple AU instances :smiley:

• @Carnbot said:

Does this mean that it would not be a fix in order to be able to recover previous projects (in Auv3)?

• edited October 2019

@ruizcomposer said:

@Carnbot said:

Does this mean that it would not be a fix in order to be able to recover previous projects (in Auv3)?

I don't think it's possible unfortunately, but it's a more capable plugin now at least.
    The only way is if they allowed a non-music effect AU version to co-exist as well as the new one I think.

• This isn’t the first app to have this problem, there have been at least 3 or 4 that have been renamed or been changed from instrument to generator etc.

Seems like there must be a better way to implement these changes so you don’t end up opening old projects to find that something is missing, even when you know which app it is that is missing, you lose whatever settings you had dialed in.

As of now the only real failsafe is freezing your tracks, but personally I prefer writing in with the Audiobus/AUM/Xequence set up, or in Nanostudio when possible. Had a bunch Nanostudio sessions messed up when Square Synth changed their AU name, and there was something else recently that did this, now of course having the same issue with Discord.

Guess the moral of the story is to try and see a project through to completion before starting a bunch of other ideas, but when you are working in 5-10 min sessions, you’re not going to do a final mix of something, you’re going to start a new session and try something new, at least if your anything like me.

Anyway, off to see how many instances of Discord I can open in apeMatrix!

• Well, the point is if you are risking to screw up someone else work at least you should warn them before updating. I have a live performance setup with lots of LFO's ruling different parameters of Discord in real time, settings that now I've lost since the app does not load in AUM when opening a previous project. It means hundreds of hours of hard work that I must rebuild and/or reinvent now. Thanks god my next gig is not tomorrow.

• yeah that's annoying... :(
    Good to download and backup apps to your PC with itunes if you can although easy to forget, just in case of update issues especially if they are performance based apps.

Apple should make this easier though, it's a hassle and one reason why apps are cheaper than desktop because there's less control over the whole thing. hope this changes though.

• Ugh, got bit by this change today while trying to load up some older projects.

DEVELOPERS, PLEASE PUT UP A BIG WARNING WITH ANY UPDATES THAT MIGHT BREAK SOMETHING FOR YOUR USERS (LIKE CHANGING THE NAME OR EFFECT TYPE).

Typically this can be fixed by saving out presets prior to updating so the settings can be recalled in the "new" version of the app. Otherwise if users are relying on state-saving they will be SOL if they update and the new version isn't recognized by the host as the equivalent of the old version.

Seems like the most prudent choice is to continue to manually save all presets and not rely on state-saving - I typically do this for big, complex synth patches, but often forget to do this for effects....