Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Song Of The Month Club - October 2019

What is the Song of the Month Club?

It's a place where musicians come to give and receive feedback on their work. Anyone is welcome, whatever their level of ability.

The spirit of the club is to contribute: if you submit a song for others to comment on, you should also have the courtesy to listen to everyone else's contributions and give as much feedback as possible. Posting a track and not listening and commenting on others is not cool.

The purpose of feedback is to be honest. Essentially you should give your truthful impressions of the song, whether good or bad. Negative feedback, if done in the right spirit and with courtesy, can be the most useful and can help the artist to grow and improve and correct their mistakes.

All submissions are welcome, don't hesitate if you want to contribute. We like all kinds of music and we are particularly fond of vocals (but of course we still love a great instrumental). If you are thinking of experimenting with vocals this is a good place to get started.

We ask that you only post one song per month in this thread - if you're lucky enough to be able to produce more, then please just submit your strongest material

And finally, iOS is not a requirement for posting here. If you've recorded your song using nothing but a ukulele and a Fostex 4 track, that's fine.

Comments

• edited October 2019

My entry this month, lyrics in the spoiler.

The track was initially composed in Gadget (Warsawa is all over this), with the vocal tracking, additional instruments and final mix done in Auria. I mixed up a bunch of ideas, with ambient and soundscpapey things and indie vocals, but going for a paranoid vibe rather than a chill-out one. The slide guitar is inevitably reminsiscent of How Soon Is Now, but that wasn't intentional.

Far from home
    And nowhere to escape to
    And I’m so alone
    I cannot seem to find you
    I’ve lost my way
    I cannot find the way home
    I’ve gone astray
    I want to find my way home

I can’t the find the way home
    Cos I’m as lost as you
    There’s so much doubt inside me
    I don’t know what to do

In my dreams
    I’m always running from you
    So it seems
    But where am I going to run to?
    I’ve lost my way
    I’ve gone astray

Cos I’m as lost as you
    I don’t know what to do

• @richardyot said:

The track was initially composed in Gadget (Warsawa is all over this), with the vocal tracking, additional instruments and final mix done in Auria. I mixed up a bunch of ideas, with ambient and soundscpapey things and indie vocals, but going for a paranoid vibe rather than a chill-out one. The slide guitar is inevitably reminsiscent of How Soon Is Now, but that wasn't intentional.

Far from home
    And nowhere to escape to
    And I’m so alone
    I’ve lost my way
    I’ve gone astray

Cos I’m as lost as you
    I don’t know what to do

In my dreams
    So it seems
    I’ve lost my way
    I’ve gone astray

Cos I’m as lost as you
    I don’t know what to do

I like the production and the vibe of this song. And I like the drum groove a lot. The vocals seem slightly out of tune at some points. Maybe this is on purpose, but to me it sounds a bit off

• This thread is a nice idea. I'm happy to contribute. I remixed a song of an old friend of mine. I only took her voice and main synth line. Drums, Piano, hornsn and synth arpeggio was added by me. I used ableton and NI Kontakt for this remix. Cheers

• @JoHe said:
    This thread is a nice idea. I'm happy to contribute. I remixed a song of an old friend of mine. I only took her voice and main synth line. Drums, Piano, hornsn and synth arpeggio was added by me. I used ableton and NI Kontakt for this remix. Cheers

The best bit by far for me is the break that comes in at 1.40, it's really musical and interesting to listen to, and provides a nice contrast with the rest of the song. Nice choice of sounds with the synth textures and accents contrasting with the piano.

I was expecting to hear a bit more from the vocal, it seems to just be "oooohs" and doesn't offer much in the way of melodic interest - it gets a bit monotonous playing over the length of the track with no variation.

The build up towards the end is really nice with the synth chord progression playing behind the arpeggio - my only crit here is that the limiting is a bit aggressive, the mix is a bit crunchy here and there's audible distortion in the audio.

• edited October 2019

My participation for this month (from Réalité Augmentée with the painter Bruno Clochard)
    https://kitusai.bandcamp.com/track/gall-xxa

• @richardyot said:

@JoHe said:
    This thread is a nice idea. I'm happy to contribute. I remixed a song of an old friend of mine. I only took her voice and main synth line. Drums, Piano, hornsn and synth arpeggio was added by me. I used ableton and NI Kontakt for this remix. Cheers

The best bit by far for me is the break that comes in at 1.40, it's really musical and interesting to listen to, and provides a nice contrast with the rest of the song. Nice choice of sounds with the synth textures and accents contrasting with the piano.

I was expecting to hear a bit more from the vocal, it seems to just be "oooohs" and doesn't offer much in the way of melodic interest - it gets a bit monotonous playing over the length of the track with no variation.

The build up towards the end is really nice with the synth chord progression playing behind the arpeggio - my only crit here is that the limiting is a bit aggressive, the mix is a bit crunchy here and there's audible distortion in the audio.

Thanks for the feedback!

• @Kitusai said:
    My participation for this month (from Réalité Augmentée with the painter Bruno Clochard)

Nice eerie atmosphere, I like the scrapes and squeaks and other ambient sounds. The vocal treatment is also very good, it's an original track with a great vibe.

• So I think we are all countried out for a little while. Something a little bit different from us this month. Heavy Brass and Amplitube Fender pack to the forefront on this one.

• @orchardman said:
    So I think we are all countried out for a little while. Something a little bit different from us this month. Heavy Brass and Amplitube Fender pack to the forefront on this one.

Another good track, you guys are on a good streak at the moment. The brass riff has a cool 60s vibe, gives it the feel of a James Bond title theme. Good solid groove, good vocal melodies and great overall arrangement. There's some serious songwriting craft on display here IMO.

Good stuff, there's really nothing to criticise, it's a great song.

• @richardyot Even when you change the mood you are immediately recognizable with this pop-psychedelic-a bit dissonant touch. I enjoyed it a lot.

@JoHe There are several pieces of music in one. I especially appreciated the intro and the melodic fly beginning around 1’50. The outro too. A nice travel with successful reversed sounds.

@orchardman The picture looks as a female Joker? :-) What a style change! I don’t know why I thought like richardyot of James Bond but also on some parts of Jefferson Airplane's mood. One minor remark: maybe you could shout (enhance the voice) on some verses? Very well done anyway!

• @richardyot said:

Far from home
    And nowhere to escape to
    And I’m so alone
    I’ve lost my way
    I’ve gone astray

Cos I’m as lost as you
    I don’t know what to do

In my dreams
    So it seems
    I’ve lost my way
    I’ve gone astray

Cos I’m as lost as you
    I don’t know what to do

NIce... great atmosphere. I'd like to dabble a drier mix of this with upfront drums and treated vocals.

• @Kitusai said:

wow! this is different ... in a good way.

• @enc said:

@richardyot said:

Far from home
    And nowhere to escape to
    And I’m so alone
    I’ve lost my way
    I’ve gone astray

Cos I’m as lost as you
    I don’t know what to do

In my dreams
    So it seems
    I’ve lost my way
    I’ve gone astray

Cos I’m as lost as you
    I don’t know what to do

NIce... great atmosphere. I'd like to dabble a drier mix of this with upfront drums and treated vocals.

Thanks - if you want to remix I can send you the stems.

• @richardyot @JoHe Thanks for the feedback!

• @richardyot said:

@enc said:

@richardyot said:

Far from home
    And nowhere to escape to
    And I’m so alone
    I’ve lost my way
    I’ve gone astray

Cos I’m as lost as you
    I don’t know what to do

In my dreams
    So it seems
    I’ve lost my way
    I’ve gone astray

Cos I’m as lost as you
    I don’t know what to do

Thanks - if you want to remix I can send you the stems.

Definitely up for that at some point Richard B) .. just need to finish my own stuff first :s

• edited October 2019

deleted

• edited October 2019

Ok, this is my attempt:

• https://soundcloud.com/ncfunk/so-far

Here’s a track that I’ve been working on for a while but have been holding off on because I have been getting caught up trying to ‘perfect’ my mixes instead of simply putting them out. For this track, I used the Roland TR-09, the Korg iM1 for the piano, pad, and vocal sounds, and Ableton Live’s Analog and Operator.
    All feedback is welcome and I truly hope that some of you enjoy what I’ve been working on.

• @Faland said:
    Ok, this is my attempt:

I like the theremin-like lead line which has a nice quirky feel to it, and the stabbed chords in the background. I think the track could do with more of a sense of evolution and journey though: an intro, a middle section, and an outro - because the bass and drums are unchanging throughout it does feel a bit monotonous at the end, even though the lead synth comes in and out. So some more variety in the drums would really help, and the bass could either change or evolve or maybe drop out at times to add some more variety.

The mix is also a bit dense for my tastes, it gets a little muddy in the busier sections, I would aim for an overall quieter mix to let the track breathe a bit more, so less limiting or compression would sound better I think.

• edited October 2019

@FunkMachine said:
    https://soundcloud.com/ncfunk/so-far

Here’s a track that I’ve been working on for a while but have been holding off on because I have been getting caught up trying to ‘perfect’ my mixes instead of simply putting them out. For this track, I used the Roland TR-09, the Korg iM1 for the piano, pad, and vocal sounds, and Ableton Live’s Analog and Operator.
    All feedback is welcome and I truly hope that some of you enjoy what I’ve been working on.

Cool track, I enjoyed the upbeat vibe, and a lot of craft went into this and it shows. The rhythms are all great, starting with that high-hat pattern in the intro - the track has a great toe-tapping groove.

There is also a lot of melodic interest in the track, which I always appreciate, and a lot of variety in terms of sounds, with the different lead sounds coming in and out, all playing on the same melodic theme with variants of the main riff. Great arrangement too, with breakdowns and buildups, it all makes the track more fun to listen to. The iM1 piano inevitably gives it a housey sound, although the track is far from being a house track.

Good job, and fun track.

• Lately I've been recording some more experimental stuff.
    This is my newest song

It uses AudioStretch, Binaural Location, Dubstation 2 and Eos2

• @richardyot said:

@Faland said:
    Ok, this is my attempt:

I like the theremin-like lead line which has a nice quirky feel to it, and the stabbed chords in the background. I think the track could do with more of a sense of evolution and journey though: an intro, a middle section, and an outro - because the bass and drums are unchanging throughout it does feel a bit monotonous at the end, even though the lead synth comes in and out. So some more variety in the drums would really help, and the bass could either change or evolve or maybe drop out at times to add some more variety.

The mix is also a bit dense for my tastes, it gets a little muddy in the busier sections, I would aim for an overall quieter mix to let the track breathe a bit more, so less limiting or compression would sound better I think.

Thank you so much for your constructive tips. I find you’re right in several aspects, so I’ll try to follow your suggestions. :smile:

• @mrrain said:
    Lately I've been recording some more experimental stuff.
    This is my newest song

It uses AudioStretch, Binaural Location, Dubstation 2 and Eos2

It's a nice ambient track, it would make an excellent soundtrack. As a standalone track for pure listening it might not bear too many repeated listens because it's relatively static, but for atmosphere behind visuals it works really well.

• @richardyot said:

Far from home
    And nowhere to escape to
    And I’m so alone
    I’ve lost my way
    I’ve gone astray

Cos I’m as lost as you
    I don’t know what to do

In my dreams
    So it seems
    I’ve lost my way
    I’ve gone astray

Cos I’m as lost as you
    I don’t know what to do

I liked this a lot. You have really developed your sound. Great atmosphere with a nice funky groove. Although I was a bit worried with the heavy breathing at the start 😀😀

• @Kitusai said:

This is why I love being part of this group. Every now and than something like this comes along. Normally I would not get to listen to this sort of thing. I’m an old fashioned rock/country verse and chorus type of guy but this is just brilliant. Loved the atmosphere, the quirkiness and particularly the vocal. Great stuff.

• Well i would like to share my second track i made since i got into ios music making. My goal is to learn things so i'm looking forward to your comment. I used ruismaker, modded troublemaker and classic machines in cubasis 2 to make this.

• @richardyot said:

Far from home
    And nowhere to escape to
    And I’m so alone
    I’ve lost my way
    I’ve gone astray

Cos I’m as lost as you
    I don’t know what to do

In my dreams
    So it seems
    I’ve lost my way
    I’ve gone astray

Cos I’m as lost as you
    There’s so much

@richardyot said:

Far from home
    And nowhere to escape to
    And I’m so alone
    I’ve lost my way
    I’ve gone astray

Cos I’m as lost as you
    I don’t know what to do

In my dreams
    So it seems
    I’ve lost my way
    I’ve gone astray

Cos I’m as lost as you
    I don’t know what to do

I like this, you definitely nailed the paranoid vibe you tried to give the track.

• @mrrain

Nice track, but it's rather long. Since it doesn't build up to a climax it feels monotonous when you reach the end.

• @Elvisthenrodent said:

Well i would like to share my second track i made since i got into ios music making. My goal is to learn things so i'm looking forward to your comment. I used ruismaker, modded troublemaker and classic machines in cubasis 2 to make this.

This has the raw vibe of early Detroit techno, just two synths and a drum
    machine, it’s a long way from the densely layered music we are used to today.

I quite like the raw vibe, and simplicity of the music fits in with the genre, it has a DIY punk rock feel to it. Its definitely very reminiscent of early electronic music, it might be interesting to hear this sound pushed into a more melodic and contemporary direction though, to bring it up to date with 2019.

• @richardyot

Thanks for your comment, do you have some ideas to polish the sound more towards 2019.
    I'm new to this stuff, definitely grew up during the days of early techno and still stuck there😁.