Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

will Apple ever get rid of “this accessory requires too much power” ???

I know IPadOs has brought some improvements without a doubt.
But unfortunately it’s still not good.
Over the years, I’ve had 8 inch windows tablets with a battery capacity waaay lesser than what is on my iPad Pro 11 and never had issues connecting drives or external sources without using a powered hub.
I have a 2.5 inch ssd with a converter Which works even on android without a powered hub.
On my iPad sometimes it shows the drive but lately it doesn’t, even with a powered hub.
I also have a small pen drive and when connected to the iPad, sometimes it works and sometimes it say the drive requires too much power..
When will Apple understand that there are situations in every day life where you might need to transfer files to your iPad or iPhone and don’t have a power source available?
What is the idea of a mobile work station if we need powered hub for simple things that an 8 inch windows tablet with a lower battery capacity can handle without hiccups ??

Comments

• Yah my usb drives are a no go on my ipad. One minute they read / wrote and the next they did not.

Mem cards seem solid without external power so I will just stick to that until Apple catches up.

• @AudioGus said:
    Yah my usb drives are a no go on my ipad. One minute they read / wrote and the next they did not.

Mem cards seem solid without external power so I will just stick to that until Apple catches up.

What’s even funny is that I can connect my iPhone 7 Plus to my iPad and charge the phone, but it cant read a pendrive..like really ??🤣🤣

• Apple is doing just the bare minimum that it can get away with for external storage and file management. Their heart isn’t in it. Never has been. Being able to charge an order of magnitude more for internal storage capacity is baked into their profit model. Overpriced dongle sales don’t hurt either.

I accepted this the day I saw that my first iPad 2 didn’t include a micro SD card slot.

• @wim said:
    Apple is doing just the bare minimum that it can get away with for external storage and file management. Their heart isn’t in it. Never has been. Being able to charge an order of magnitude more for internal storage capacity is baked into their profit model. Overpriced dongle sales don’t hurt either.

I accepted this the day I saw that my first iPad 2 didn’t include a micro SD card slot.

It’s just so dam sad?
    I don’t think a lot of people did buy the 1 tera model either.
    They could be selling lots of iPad Pro 11 and 12 inch if the Files management gets closer to what is on Android not to mention Mac or pc.
    I’d gladly take this route than selling dongles for £100 people might not even buy.

• Ah right. I'm quite new to ios. Got this message when trying to connect an Akai MPK mini keyboard to my Gen 6 iPad (with or without power connected)

A friend told me that an official camera connection kit would solve this. Before I spend £40 on a £10 accessory does anyone have any experience of this?

• @FPC said:
    Ah right. I'm quite new to ios. Got this message when trying to connect an Akai MPK mini keyboard to my Gen 6 iPad (with or without power connected)

A friend told me that an official camera connection kit would solve this. Before I spend £40 on a £10 accessory does anyone have any experience of this?

I'm pretty sure the MPK requires a powered hub unfortunately.

• I thing Akai MPK mini doesn’t require external power. @supadom heavily used it ,but the mkII version does require.
    You could try the old trick , using a cheap passive usb hub

• Ah right. I'm quite new to ios. Got this message when tryimg to co> @Korakios said:

I thing Akai MPK mini doesn’t require external power. @supadom heavily used it ,but the mkII version does require.

So are there other similar small keyboads that just work? I'd rather sell it and get something else than mess around with extra powered/unpowered hubs and wires.

• @FPC said:
    Ah right. I'm quite new to ios. Got this message when tryimg to co> @Korakios said:

I thing Akai MPK mini doesn’t require external power. @supadom heavily used it ,but the mkII version does require.

So are there other similar small keyboads that just work? I'd rather sell it and get something else than mess around with extra powered/unpowered hubs and wires.

Actually the MPK might work with a passive hub, as suggested above by Korakios. Alternatively I do know that the Arturia Minilab Mk2 works fine straight into the CCK.

• Thank you

• edited October 2019

the first version of the Akai MPK mini still works with the CCK, for the mk2 you‘d need a powered hub as I‘ve heard

• Hmmmmm OK. Mine is a mk1 and I'm still getting that message. D'you think I need to buy the official apple camera kit then?

• that‘s how I do it, so I‘d say yes

• OK great. Thanks

• Try a different usb cable first (shorter)

• @FPC said:
    Hmmmmm OK. Mine is a mk1 and I'm still getting that message. D'you think I need to buy the official apple camera kit then?

Two things:

• Reviews of non-Apple cck's indicate they are often unreliable and are especially likely to be problematic if the attached devices needs real power. Some of the aftermarket ones dont work with midi devices that work fine with apple's, but ymmv

• even with the Apple CCK you need to provide power if attached devices draw too much. IPads were optimized for battery life and minimal size. you are more likely to get decent results with a real Apple camera connector.

• MPK mini mk2:

USB3.0 CCK with power supplied to the passthrough is all you need.

• My Akai MPK mini is actually a mk2 (thought it was mk1) so I guess it needs a powered hub or something. I'll try an official camera kit before I get rid of it 😡

• @FPC said:
    My Akai MPK mini is actually a mk2 (thought it was mk1) so I guess it needs a powered hub or something. I'll try an official camera kit before I get rid of it 😡

I can use my MPK mini mk2 with official CCK-3 and a 10000 mAh power cell to supply extra power.
    I don’t need to use the powered USB hub.

I also have a Line6 FBV express mk2, and that requires the powered USB hub plugged into an outlet. The battery power cell and CCK-3 can’t supply enough power for that device.

• @Korakios said:
    Try a different usb cable first (shorter)

Also make sure you have already plugged the MPK , before plugging the lighting cable.

• OK thanks. I'll try this when I get in from work later.

• edited October 2019

Mpk mk1 will work no problem using official Apple CCk and a usb cable (Not a shit one).

Mpk mk2 will work no problem with a passive hub added to the above scenario.

It is a known fact in the iOS music community that unofficial CCKs stop working after iOS updates. So if you’re taking things at least semi seriously you should invest in the Apple CCK. I’ve had mine for the last 5 years and it’s still working fine. Prior to that I’ve easily spent around £20 on knockoffs, usb hubs and usb cables living in confusion as to what was causing my power issues. It is stressful and just as expensive in the long run.

• Yeah point taken. I'll just buy the official one. Through gritted teeth. :#

• According to this: indirectly, yes.
    https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2019/12/05/apple-is-killing-lightning-connector-on-top-iphones-by-2021-kuo-says.html

In the most Apple way possible: by getting rid of the lighting connector/charge port.