Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Setting up IDAM midi between iPad and MBP?

Ok soI recently got a MBP, and I’ve managed to use IDAM to send Audio between Audiobus 3 and a audio track inside GarageBand on MAC. However I’m getting lost trying to send midi to a instrument to sequence it by the same method.

Can someone explain to me please how this would be set up between iPad and Mac? Coming from a Windows background I’m a bit lost doing this.

Could I used a AU midi sequencer for example FugueMachine to trigger a instrument inside GB or Logic Pro if so, how ?

I recently downloaded Logic Pro so can try using that.

Comments

• when you start IDAM you get a shared midi port, i forget exactly how it is named but i think it incorporates your ipad’s name.

in your DAW you have to enable this MIDI port for use in your project.

then send midi to this port on your ios device, and route midi from this port to a channel in your daw.

• @wellingtonCres said:
    when you start IDAM you get a shared midi port, i forget exactly how it is named but i think it incorporates your ipad’s name.

in your DAW you have to enable this MIDI port for use in your project.

then send midi to this port on your ios device, and route midi from this port to a channel in your daw.

Ok thanks for that will give it a go.

• edited October 2019

I have to say though: I gave it a try to be able to explain how it works, but no matter what I tried, in Fugue Machine on my iPad, the four separate midi channels (1-4) were treated the same by Logic, and thus sent to all instruments, so I shall not be doing an instruction video any time soon on how it should be done (just to highlight it might not be as straight forward as I had thought). For one thing I was amazed that regardless of my setting in Logic on my iMac, setting the channel strip to a very specific midi channel, it still received on all channels, no matter what I did. I obviously did it wrongly but I can't figure out how just yet.

• edited October 2019

I can't remember the last time I used GarageBand on a Mac. But I did create step-by-step instructions on how to use IDAM with my DAW, Digital Performer. Maybe some of these steps might be analogous...

How To Use IDAM With Digital Performer

1. Plug in your iPad to your computer using your standard Lightning-USB charging cable.
    2. On your Mac: Go to Audio MIDI Set Up
    3. Go to Window->Show iOS Browser. You should see your iPad in the window. Click Enable.
    4. Launch Digital Performer and create a new Project.
    5. In DP, go to Set Up->Configure Audio System->Configure Hardware Driver. You should see “iPad (input) in the list. If you are using an audio interface it should also appear in the list. Command-Click so that both are selected. Keep your audio interface the Master Device. Click OK. [Not all DAWs allows this. You may need to create an Aggregate Device in Audio MIDI Setup.]
    6. In DP, create a MIDI track. Assign its output to Unconfigured Ports-->iPad->iPad-1.
    7. On your iPad, launch a synth app. Depending on the app, it may require that you enable external MIDI within its Settings. You should now have MIDI going to the iPad instrument.
    8. To monitor, in DP create an Aux Track and assign its input to New Stereo Bundle->iPad (input): iPad 1-2. Play some notes on your keyboard. You should now hear your iPad synth. You can now record and play back MIDI in DP using your iPad and an external synth.
    9. To record your MIDI track to audio, create a Stereo Audio Track and assign its input to iPad 1-2.
    10. Record enable your audio track. Deselect Record Enable on your MIDI track. Hit Record.

**NOTE: Be sure to quit DP before disconnecting your iPad, otherwise it will give you a missing hardware error message.

• Thanks all for the help will try out all these ideas and get back to you.