Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Quantize off in Pulse AU drum?

Please tell me I can easily turn off quantization? I’m sorry if this has been asked and already answered. I just tried a few Google searches through the website. Thanks in advance

Comments

• wimwim
    edited October 2019

@audiobussy said:
    Please tell me I can easily turn off quantization? I’m sorry if this has been asked and already answered. I just tried a few Google searches through the website. Thanks in advance

Sorry, you can't. At this time it's a step based sequencer only. The developer mentioned that he would consider the idea, but it would be a big change to the app, so no promise that it will be done or when.

• You can set the quant to 1/64th, if that helps at all. (But it probably doesn't.)

• You know you can set the quantization down to 1/64th beat, right?

• Is it the mandatory quantize that makes the pads feel a bit laggy at times?

I'm no expert finger drummer but I know when there is lag from the moment my finger touches the screen and when I can hear the sound. It's like even the realtime playing is quantized to some value...
    (Compare realtime performance between Koala and EG Pulse and its a night and day difference!).

• This is the harshest I’ve ever been on this forum...

This “drum“ app is an insult to anyone with remotely good timing. Quantize to 64? LOL…

InstaRefund

• if I am happy using Xequence and or audiobus and or aum., and I have a ROLI light board or light box or whatever,, and I am happy to use a third-party input tool like the Xequence drum pads in AU…

What sampler or drum sampler should I get? And if the recommendation is to get a regular sampler, how do I get excellent sounding samples without spending a ton of time?

• I guess what I’ve been doing up-to- today was using the acoustic drum samples within BeatHawk because they were recommended as decent sounding multi samples.

I use the ROLI for input and record into Xequence I believe

I guess I was looking for an excellent all in one solution with pulse AU but obviously this is a step backward for me. I’m not an excellent drummer but I’ve been playing since I was 13 or 14… And that was a while ago :-)

• @Samu said:
    Is it the mandatory quantize that makes the pads feel a bit laggy at times?

I'm no expert finger drummer but I know when there is lag from the moment my finger touches the screen and when I can hear the sound. It's like even the realtime playing is quantized to some value...
    (Compare realtime performance between Koala and EG Pulse and its a night and day difference!).

I've been noticing this as well. It's frustratingly inconsistent.

• @audiobussy said:
    if I am happy using Xequence and or audiobus and or aum., and I have a ROLI light board or light box or whatever,, and I am happy to use a third-party input tool like the Xequence drum pads in AU…

What sampler or drum sampler should I get? And if the recommendation is to get a regular sampler, how do I get excellent sounding samples without spending a ton of time?

You can play Pulse by sending it midi from X2, and I don't think you'll be bothered by quantize - though I could be wrong on that point, I suppose. Might be worth a try if you haven't refunded it already.

• AudioLayer is good as a sampler. The interface is a bit of a pain when building kits, but once built, it works well.
    • DigiStix is a good drum machine/sampler, though I think subject to quantization as well. Again, you could play it from X2 and I believe not be bothered with quantization. DigiStix has the ability to have up to 5 layers per pad. You can set it to round-robin or velocity layers for the multiple layers. However, at this time, the velocity layers are implemented wrong IMO. Instead of triggering individual samples at each layer, it stacks them on top of eachother as you go up. I believe this will be improved in the future.
    • Drum Perfect pro is the king of drum samplers. It's IAA, not AUv3 though. There is an AU player-only plugin, but I've not made much use of that.
  • Would love a non quantize option too, since recording from other sequencers produces mixed results. Great app even without it though... :)

• I like this app a lot even without unquantized recording. But I’m doing mostly reggae and boom bap hip hop so I really want unquantize option to get that swing feeling.

• ok ok, unquantize officially in my TODO list :)
    @Samu probably it depends on the standalone app buffersize that's pretty high. Try using it as AU and set the buffer size to 256-128 samples and see if it's better for you. Eventually I can insert a Latency setting for the standalone version of the app.

• @Samu said:
    Is it the mandatory quantize that makes the pads feel a bit laggy at times?

Yes this was my first impression. Pads are not responsive.

• @Samu @Daveypoo and @realdawei could you please make the test using the app as AU3 and setting the host buffer size to 256 or lower (f.e. hosted in AUM)

• Is this maybe that the pad doesn't sound until the beat division occurs? Beathawk does this and I can't use quantization with it. IMO, when recording, the sound should happen immediately when you hit the pad, not at the point where it lands in the grid.

Just guessing here. I haven't tried.

• @wim That’s the feeling I get

• Respect to the developer for putting this on the to do list.

And the pads have to be ultra responsive… I agree with everyone else.

• By the way, besides the sound of the samples, I find a BeatHawk to be unusable

• @ElliottGarage said:
    could you please make the test using the app as AU3 and setting the host buffer size to 256 or lower (f.e. hosted in AUM)

That's it, so the default buffer in the stand-alone is set pretty high right?(Closer to 1024?).

Would it be possible to allow hosting EG Pulse in an effects slot to allow sampling while used as an AUv3?
    This would also temporarily save you the hassle of implementing input selection in the stand alone app...

For multi-channel interfaces the selection would include the individual channels as mono as well as stereo pairs.
    So for a 4 channel interface it would be Channels 1,2,3,4 as mono and then 1&2, 3&4 as stereo pairs.

Cheers!

• @Samu yes, not it has 1024 samples. I'm gonna lower this and eventually add an option on settings for older devices. Also I think the fading animation on the pad light increase the impression of latency, so I'm gonna decrease the fade time too.

About fx slot, that is a nice idea, however I still need to implement a way to record the incoming signal, it's not automatic :)

• @ElliottGarage said:
    @Samu yes, not it has 1024 samples. I'm gonna lower this and eventually add an option on settings for older devices. Also I think the fading animation on the pad light increase the impression of latency, so I'm gonna decrease the fade time too.

About fx slot, that is a nice idea, however I still need to implement a way to record the incoming signal, it's not automatic :)

Yes, I tried to report this on beta, visual fade time takes too long

• @ElliottGarage said:

Understood, it's a nice 'extra' feature.

Still I'd prefer to use it as stand-alone when creating samples and this the input selection becomes integral part of my sampling workflow.

In my use case using the Steinberg UR-242 I use all 4 inputs when sampling. Input 1 for Microphone(SM57), Input 2 for a mono synth(Volcas, MicroFreak, UNOSynth etc) and inputs 3 & 4 for a stereo line-level input.

But no need to rush I have other 'stuff' to do the recording with at the moment but it would definitely speed things up input selection with input monitoring was in place :)

• edited October 2019

@ElliottGarage said:
    @Samu yes, not it has 1024 samples. I'm gonna lower this and eventually add an option on settings for older devices. Also I think the fading animation on the pad light increase the impression of latency, so I'm gonna decrease the fade time too.

Maybe the fade time can be a on/off and amount option? I haven't bought this one yet but doesn't each pad have a AR env? The env can be used to get rid of pops and clicks per pad?

• edited October 2019

Duplicate

• @[Deleted User] fade time doesn't influence audio in any way. It's just a visual feedback, anyway I think I'll accelerate a bit just to not give users idea of latency.
    Each pad have adjustable start,attack,release and length; moreover you can set "retrigger" option to stop a pad when a new note is pressed (following the release time).

• @ElliottGarage said:
    @[Deleted User] fade time doesn't influence audio in any way. It's just a visual feedback, anyway I think I'll accelerate a bit just to not give users idea of latency.
    Each pad have adjustable start,attack,release and length; moreover you can set "retrigger" option to stop a pad when a new note is pressed (following the release time).

Ok, understood. Why have a delay on the gui?

• @[Deleted User] there's no delay, simply when you release the tap on a pad the pad light doesn't go away suddendly but with a fade animation of 0.5 sec :)

• @ElliottGarage said:
    @[Deleted User] there's no delay, simply when you release the tap on a pad the pad light doesn't go away suddendly but with a fade animation of 0.5 sec :)

Got it

• Maybe best would be to set the fade animation time to equal the pad release time?