Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Koala - the ultimate pocket-sized sampler

Comments

• @wim said:
    Thanks for Landscape mode! Gonna use this one all the time instead of just when I'm stuck with the phone waiting for the wife to finish shopping (or phone battery to die, whichever comes first - usually the latter).

I resemble this uncomfortably well.

• I already own koala but I hear it’s free right now.

• @lukesleepwalker said:

@wim said:
    Thanks for Landscape mode! Gonna use this one all the time instead of just when I'm stuck with the phone waiting for the wife to finish shopping (or phone battery to die, whichever comes first - usually the latter).

We need a club. Oh.....

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

@wim said:

We need a club. Oh.....

• edited October 2019

Wait, what? How is this Free on the Desktop?

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/koala-sampler/id1479881366?mt=12

• @echoopera said:
    Wait, what? How is this Free on the Desktop?

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/koala-sampler/id1479881366?mt=12

Always been free on desktop. Probably because it’s exactly like the phone version so it doesn’t function as well as on iOS. Still pretty cool though.

• It’s a hell of an app...

• @anickt said:
    It’s a hell of an app...

😆. Dark elf audio

• @elf_audio i think its much better to have a seperate tab for Clear Note. I have made a few mistakes Clearing a whole Sequence quite easily instead of Clearing a Note as the Clear button now has 2 functions.

• @Samu said:
    @elf_audio What about making the sequence transport controls visible on all pages?
    (Many times I keep a sequencer running and sample sounds, so being able to start/stop the sequencer could be handy).

Somehow this ended up in the wrong thread, too many tabs open maybe...

@Samu @elf_audio yes to this.

• @elf_audio you have done really good work so far. A small suggestion. If possible in Performance page Effects - would be good if when switching off Hold then switching Hold back On the previous effects settings are retained.

• Great update!

• Thanks @elf_audio. This update has made all the difference.

• Thanks for all your toil + sweat @elf_audio.. what you've created with koala is a classic iOS app.. it's a grand playground!

Don't know if these have been posted in this mega-thread or not.. here they are in case some haven't seen them.. many great tips and a few aha moments for me.. obviously, there have been updates to koala and some things have been added and/OR changed.. still very useful stuff..

• Just tried loading Koala up with some (simple AF) full tracks on each pad and just jamming with performance fx like I would with an SP-404. This is working pretty damn good! Obviously some of the FX arent working on a larger piece of audio like that (gate and stutter didnt seem to do much and/or cut the loop off)

@elf_audio Thank you so much for this amazing app. Is there a way to loop / play through long samples without having to hold the pad down? For now I have been just going over to the performance page and that makes the sample play through.

• @Gaia.Tree said:
    Is there a way to loop / play through long samples without having to hold the pad down? For now I have been just going over to the performance page and that makes the sample play through.

One Shot button on the sample edit page.

• @stormbeats said:
    @elf_audio you have done really good work so far. A small suggestion. If possible in Performance page Effects - would be good if when switching off Hold then switching Hold back On the previous effects settings are retained.

Being able to use both the pads and performance effects at the same time would be super handy for re-sampling :)

Ie. trigger the pad while adjusting the effects and then 're-sample' it to a new pad when everything is properly adjusted.
    An other use case would be to process the input with the performance effects prior to sampling it.

Same goes for using the chromatic keys when re-sampling to for example create chords samples using the samples or do some extreme pitch shifting...

Koala can only get better, sorry if the above is 'feature creep' but it feels so natural to have it as part of the whole :)

• as the above impression is
    FANTASTIC DEVELOPEMENT ! thank you!
    not really happy with button placements/interface order
    that needs finetuning but - thats all I have to say!:)

• @elf_audio Koala is sooooooo good. Became my instant favorite the day it came out. Most immediate and fun music making app ever.

And the features you’ve chosen in this update are so well chosen and don’t seem to impact the immediacy of the app at all. Big thumbs up!

However... for the first time, I’m seeing crashes. It’s been rock solid for me up to now but with this update it’s crashed on me three times in a span of about fifteen minutes. Not sure of the exact repro steps yet, but it seems to happen when I’m editing samples. I’m on a 2018 iPad (haven’t tried iPhone yet)

Anyone else seeing crashes?

• @Jumpercollins sorry about the export bug, it's fixed now if you update. Also as a little bonus, I enabled split screen and slide over, and you can now drag files from files app directly to koala - doesn't directly land on the pad you drop it on, but I'll work that out I'm sure.

• @bwrobinett ah damn, please, if you can replicate any crashes, it would be really appreciated - please get in touch through here: https://www.elf-audio.com/contact.php and I'll get these fixed. Haven't experienced any crashes on my end (except for with exporting, which is fixed as of this morning)

• @elf_audio said:
    @Jumpercollins sorry about the export bug, it's fixed now if you update. Also as a little bonus, I enabled split screen and slide over, and you can now drag files from files app directly to koala - doesn't directly land on the pad you drop it on, but I'll work that out I'm sure.

Brilliant wasn’t expecting slideover that’s so handy thanks @elf_audio for all the work and export fix.

• @Samu said:

@stormbeats said:
    @elf_audio you have done really good work so far. A small suggestion. If possible in Performance page Effects - would be good if when switching off Hold then switching Hold back On the previous effects settings are retained.

Being able to use both the pads and performance effects at the same time would be super handy for re-sampling :)

Ie. trigger the pad while adjusting the effects and then 're-sample' it to a new pad when everything is properly adjusted.
    An other use case would be to process the input with the performance effects prior to sampling it.

I've done this a bit by creating a new sequence with just the one pad hit and do 'Resample loop'. You can adjust the effects differently on each iteration of the loop, and slice out the ones that worked to pads.

As for feature requests, and noting that I think Koala is pretty much the best thing ever, especially on a phone:

I think it would be super neat if it was possible to lock an effect to a sample (temporarily). So that one could go through a performance having the filter effect just the bassline for instance.

And if it were then also possible to export a recorded performance as stems it would be beautiful.

• @elf_audio said:

Lol, no why didn't I try to use Koala in split screen mode before?!
    Thanks! :D

• @elf_audio,
    Oh! Minor UI tweak to the mic/resample button I’d love to see: Instead of it bringing up the mic/resample menu on tap, have it toggle between the mic/resample modes—one tap instead of two, no menu needed :)

• edited October 2019

@elf_audio said:
    @bwrobinett ah damn, please, if you can replicate any crashes, it would be really appreciated - please get in touch through here: https://www.elf-audio.com/contact.php and I'll get these fixed. Haven't experienced any crashes on my end (except for with exporting, which is fixed as of this morning)

Will do! I’ll bang on it, try to find some solid repro steps.

================
    @elf_audio
    Update: Repro found and submitted!

• @bwrobinett said:

@elf_audio said:
    @bwrobinett ah damn, please, if you can replicate any crashes, it would be really appreciated - please get in touch through here: https://www.elf-audio.com/contact.php and I'll get these fixed. Haven't experienced any crashes on my end (except for with exporting, which is fixed as of this morning)

Will do! I’ll bang on it, try to find some solid repro steps.

@elf_audio
    Got one more crash, but no solid steps to reproduce yet other than I do know that I hit either NEW or LOAD just before that crash.

But! I did find another issue that IS very easy to reproduce. Sent it your way.

• Nice update, > @elf_audio said:

@Jumpercollins sorry about the export bug, it's fixed now if you update. Also as a little bonus, I enabled split screen and slide over, and you can now drag files from files app directly to koala - doesn't directly land on the pad you drop it on, but I'll work that out I'm sure.

That's ace thank you! Funnily enough I tried doing this last night!

• @elf_audio said:
    Also as a little bonus, I enabled split screen and slide over, and you can now drag files from files app directly to koala - doesn't directly land on the pad you drop it on, but I'll work that out I'm sure.

Cool, that makes it a lot easier to import a full drum kit from Files! What's the best way to import multiple files from Files app on iPhone? Tried sharing a bunch of .wavs into Koala but it only imports the 1st selected file.

• @elf_audio said:

Is this in the next update? Split screen and drag and drop from files doesn’t work for me. I’m VERY excited for this.