Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

looper - crop recording to set project tempo ?

Hi all,

Can anyone recommend a looper which allows me to crop a recording to make a loop which then sets the tempo for the next recordings ?

So I can record guitar ideas without metronome, find a suitable loop start/end point and then crop to set the project tempo (grid snapping etc).

I grabbed looperverse on sale, which almost does this - record without metronome, allowing a crop, but then seems to leave the tempo based on the original complete clip so the bars/grid don't match the new loop length.

Any suggestions to get this to work, or other apps capable... ?

grb.

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @d4d0ug said:
    I think Loopy HD, Quantiloop2 and Group the Loop can do this, so you have options!

I have Loopy, but only see Share/Import/Volume/Pan options on a loop - not any way to crop (preferably accurately, with preview) ?

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @grb said:

@d4d0ug said:
    I think Loopy HD, Quantiloop2 and Group the Loop can do this, so you have options!

I have Loopy, but only see Share/Import/Volume/Pan options on a loop - not any way to crop (preferably accurately, with preview) ?

With Loopy, you would need to edit the loop elsewhere (using Share) and then reimport or record your first audio directly in something like Twisted Wave where you can edit into a loop and use that to start your project. I don't think either Loopy or Group the Loop have cropping .

• edited October 2019

@grb said:
    Hi all,

Can anyone recommend a looper which allows me to crop a recording to make a loop which then sets the tempo for the next recordings ?

So I can record guitar ideas without metronome, find a suitable loop start/end point and then crop to set the project tempo (grid snapping etc).

I grabbed looperverse on sale, which almost does this - record without metronome, allowing a crop, but then seems to leave the tempo based on the original complete clip so the bars/grid don't match the new loop length.

grb.

If you dare you could check out the app LoopTree. I think it does what you ask. It hasn't been updated in 3 years though.
    Basically it sets the session length based on the shortest loop, or according to their own description:

"Within a session, all loops are a 2^n multiple of the shortest loop (2x, 4x, 8x, etc). This makes it really easy to set the loop length whilst recording."

Is that what you were after?

• edited October 2019

@grb said:
    Hi all,

grb.

Use a sample as metronome if you don’t like regular tic and grow from there.
    Any other suggestion or workarounds will arise new issues since it’s easier to play on tempo than expect an app understanding your audio material (but there are some and probably will come more with AI).

If your intention is to use looper as composition tool these basic compromises should be taken.

As a workaround solution pointed by others use audioshare. Crop and set the grid too then import it elsewhere. Done as fresh project in many of these apps will give you that first loop you need but IMO this kills the live looping purpose by definition where oneself wants to keep layering/building things naturally instead need to stop for edit...

Finally if the purpose is pure experimentation then bad tempo analysis shouldn’t be a problem neither, just part of the process.

• re: LoopTree, I don't see any mention of 'trim' or 'crop' in the manual - I suspect it'll base the tempo on the first clip recorded with no option to trim that.

It may be that audioshare is the best option to preview the loop whilst setting the loop points, and paste into loopy...

• @grb cool concept for cropping to tempo, but not sure.

For guitar riffs, just use any looper, setup a foot controller to start and stop loops, and then do trial and error. play the riff, on the downbeat, start record, play the riff, on the downbeat, stop record, play through.

Other than that, just record in a DAW, then chop up a good loop. BM3 does a pretty good job at beat detection.

• my workflow here is to record some rambling guitar ideas, grab a bar or two with some potential and loop it to build up the idea... or scrap it and loop a different section, like saying '...hey, that bit was good, play it over so I can try out some melody / harmony / rhythm...'

I think audioshare might have to do, or even MTDaw (which will audiocopy from between the loop markers). Looperverse almost manages this by cropping to the loop start/end but not setting the tempo accordingly - close (but also has some weird issue with pasting in audio more than once?)