Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Mac osx catalyst

Catalyst seems to make it a lot easier to convert ipad apps to mac osx..

Will we see many music related apps being converted to mac?

Audiobus and Aum for instance would be a huge thing on mac..
Same for all those incredible drum machines and mini sequencers?

Comments

• Yes please!

• I wouldn't get over excited by Catalyst just yet... It's very much a work in progress and from what I've read so far, many developers are quite frustrated by the current limitations.

It's only going to get better, but be prepared for a bit of a bumpy ride :-)

• edited October 2019

@klownshed said:
    I wouldn't get over excited by Catalyst just yet... It's very much a work in progress and from what I've read so far, many developers are quite frustrated by the current limitations.

It's only going to get better, but be prepared for a bit of a bumpy ride :-)

Definately a point here..
    But as allways good things take time..

I expected apple to take another route on this..
    Releasing a mac, where the detachable screen would be an ipad pro ..

I think having my favorite music in the mac working with bitwig and reason could be a great thing
    However i also think that would mean the macbook required a touchscreen

• It’s kind of:

Catalyst for existing apps but you will need to completely rework the UI
    For developing new apps minimum iOS 13 use SwiftUI

• I thought iPad devs would be jumping on Catalyst. Why no excitement over this?

• @sdesign said:
    I thought iPad devs would be jumping on Catalyst. Why no excitement over this?

One would have hoped so, and I think it might be good for iOS-only apps to get a secondary market. However, a lot of the music app creation companies have actually come the other way: they were on the desktop and have reached out to iOS to increase their market possibilities. The price difference between apps and software make it difficult though. Now imagine you create a plugin, say FabFilter Pro-R for the desktop, and you sell it for $199. Then you port that code to iOS and now you can, barely, charge $40 for it (and people will still complain, loudly, about your high price).

Then Apple comes along and changes the playing field, so iOS apps can be used on the desktop. What would be the incentive for users to purchase the desktop version for $199 when you can get the iOS version, which is the very same code underneath, for $40? That is possibly an extreme example, but if you think about it, Steinberg already have the desktop market cornered with Cubase, they are probably not in a rush to cannibalize on themselves with porting Cubasis to Catalyst, and the same will go for all developer/software houses that have come to iOS from the other direction.

For the iOS-first developers though I would have thought this creates new market opportunities and new possible income streams though.

• Probably because Catalyst is a bit half-baked. It's clearly a stop gap to Swift UI and is very much a work in progress.

It will get better though. But it's not ready for prime time for many apps.

Also, Catalina breaks lots of stuff (especially 32 bit apps) so is not an OS people are rushing to install. I usually update quite soon after release, but I'm in no hurry to switch to Catalina. I think a lot of devs are probably taking a cautious 'wait and see' stance so there will be a bit of a chicken-egg situation.

• Another issue I see here is that how many of us would actually be ready to pay for the apps again to get them on macOS?

There is currently no connection between the macOS Appstore and iOS/iPadOS Appstore so all apps would have to be re-purchased even if it was just a cross platform re-compile...

• The cost is not a factor to me, but being out of sync would be. I would want a universal app across devices

• @klownshed said:
    Probably because Catalyst is a bit half-baked. It's clearly a stop gap to Swift UI and is very much a work in progress.

Also, Catalina breaks lots of stuff (especially 32 bit apps) so is not an OS people are rushing to install. I usually update quite soon after release, but I'm in no hurry to switch to Catalina. I think a lot of devs are probably taking a cautious 'wait and see' stance so there will be a bit of a chicken-egg situation.

Some developers announced to stop developing for MacOS completely because distributing your great apps without making yourself a paying Apple slave apparently has become even harder with Catalina.

• @rs2000 said:

@klownshed said:
    Probably because Catalyst is a bit half-baked. It's clearly a stop gap to Swift UI and is very much a work in progress.

Some developers announced to stop developing for MacOS completely because distributing your great apps without making yourself a paying Apple slave apparently has become even harder with Catalina.

Which developers announced that they are dropping Mac support?

• The one app I want on Mac OS is @brambos Mozaic. I hope it’s a trivial port but who knows. I suspect it’s not @brambos top selling app.

• @espiegel123 said:

@rs2000 said:

@klownshed said:

Which developers announced that they are dropping Mac support?

Two smaller developers who are not using the AppStore for distribution. Sorry I don't remember which, I've stumbled over their statements after reading this:
    https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/production-expert-1/2019/9/18/brands-are-already-issuing-warnings-about-not-upgrading-to-macos-catalina
    and then searching the web for statements from developers regarding 10.15 Catalina.

• I was emailed last week by MuTools developer and he said he had no plans to update his Mac apps to support Catalina

• edited October 2019

As far as I know, OpenGL is not available in Catalyst, only Metal. For apps that use OpenGL, it shouldn't be too hard to convert OpenGL code for music apps as there shouldn't be too much, but sadly it's not as straightforward as ticking a checkbox and building for new platform.