Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

cykle | advanced pattern sequencer now live

Comments

• edited September 2019

@ecamburn said:
    Dumb question. It seems like the first control "/1" allows you to slow down the rate of a row. "/1" seems to be 8th notes, /2 seems to divide the rate in half (quarter notes). But is there a way to increase the rate of a row?

In the length area, put the values in the bottom row for 16th notes. The rows add a 16th note as you go up, so 16th, 8th, dotted 8th, quarter. Keep the /1 value for length and pulse for the shortest pulse values.

@ecamburn said:
    Anyone else figure out what the "/1" control does? In the AUv version it's a global control that changes all rows when you change 1 row.

Also, can anyone who's gotten this to work standalone explain how? cykle doesn't expose a midi output that is recognized by the synths I've tested it with, and there are no midi connector's in the app's settings. Checked with Phasemaker and Thumbjam.

The /1 control is on each lane type, so you set them to slow down the sequence rate for that lane. You can get a ton of different results be setting this value differently in different lanes, as they all sort of relate to each other. Really, try changing pulse and length /1 settings, and you should start to understand how they relate to each other.
    I was doing ok trying to figure out what the hell is going on with all these lanes and parameters, and how they affect the outcome, just by listening. But recording little clips in Cubasis really helped make it more clear, since you can see the affect as well in the recorded midi.

For they Midi out in standalone, it is located by sliding up from the bottom of the screen. cykle doesn’t seem to publish its own Midi port, but you can select synths or hosts to send to in this menu. I have been sending to AUM’s midi port to drive my hosted stuff.

Something I discovered when working in that lower Midi panel is that you can create 8 separate Lane groups/setups, and send each out to different Midi channels, all at the same time. That is total madness.

• Who is the deleted user who started this thread?

• @gusgranite said:
    Who is the deleted user who started this thread?

@tiantong. Why you ask 🤔

• @[Deleted User] said:

@gusgranite said:

@tiantong. Why you ask 🤔

Thanks. I’m not sure. I guess because I’m putting off doing the dishes?

• To my ear it sounds like /1 is trigger step 1 time with the row’s control, /2 is trigger 2 times, etc. But I’m really tired and might be hallucinating. :)

• sorry, I had to pull back the update because of an issue that came up in beta testing. will try to release asap.

apologies to anyone who is having trouble grokking the app, a manual is in the works!

• @gusgranite said:

@[Deleted User] said:

@gusgranite said:

@tiantong. Why you ask 🤔

Thanks. I’m not sure. I guess because I’m putting off doing the dishes?

😂

• I'm really interested but I'll pass as long as it doesn't slave to midi clock. Ableton Link workarounds are not a solution.

• In AU, it follows host sync so can work with Link.

• @auxmux said:
    In AU, it follows host sync so can work with Link.

So Cykle synced to AUM3, slaved to Link, slaved from midi to Link conversion in AB or whatever. Whatever I've tried is not stable enough. OK if you're doing generative ambient stuff, but with techno/electro etc, tight timing is a must. Patterning 1 slaves well to midi clock, as does Mod Step (using midi only). And those are older apps.

• This is so much fun.
    @cp3 is there a way to get the CC lanes interpolate between steps? So you can do smooth filter sweeps etc?

• @cp3 said:
    sorry, I had to pull back the update because of an issue that came up in beta testing. will try to release asap.

apologies to anyone who is having trouble grokking the app, a manual is in the works!

Thanks for the heads up. REALLY looking forward to the manual etc. Keep up the good/hard work :)

• edited October 2019

I’m having fun with Cykle so far. Here is a track I just recorded. Bass and keys by Cykle (I tweaked mostly pulse and length).

@cp3 I hope pattern will make it in the AU version with the next update.

• @divmod said:
    I’m having fun with Cykle so far. Here is a track I just recorded. Bass and keys by Cykle (I tweaked mostly pulse and length).

@cp3 I hope pattern will make it in the AU version with the next update.

Cheeky birdy song! Nice man👍

• @cp3 any news about the update?

• @Charlesalbert said:
    @cp3 any news about the update?

it's just about ready, doing some final testing. expect to submit to review tomorrow.

• @cp3 said:

@Charlesalbert said:
    @cp3 any news about the update?

it's just about ready, doing some final testing. expect to submit to review tomorrow.

Thanks for the info.

It’s a very nice app, you did a superb job.

• Thanks for the info.

• @cp3 said:

Thanks for the info.

No, no. Thank you... :)

• Update is up!

• @drez said:
    Update is up!

Oh hell yes!

• @drez said:
    Update is up!

yep! changelog:

• fixes cykle AU transport being out of phase with host
    • fixes cykle standalone transport being out of phase with Link timeline
    • resets cykle standalone transport on stop and syncs to Link quantum
    • fixes event on first step not firing when starting AU host transport
    • fixes scale and key not being saved in AU preset
    • fixes hanging MIDI notes on transport stop
    • various other small bugfixes and improvements

there's still an annoying bug that I discovered too late, where part of the UI is offscreen if you launch the standalone app in landscape on iPad. will fix asap, in the meantime you can work around it by launching the app in portrait, then switching to landscape.

• Great! Thanks a lot!

• pushed a hotfix (1.0.2) so above-mentioned iPad issue is now fixed

• @cp3 said:
    pushed a hotfix (1.0.2) so above-mentioned iPad issue is now fixed

Many thanks for your efforts and attention.

• Thanks for such a great app.. will really like to see the pattern feature in the Au version..

• Still liking this little thing. I like to play with 8 or 16 pulses and no length lane, so that I have a steady rhythmic pattern. Then I use different (uneven) number of steps for the gate, pitch, octave, velocity and ratcheting lanes to create always changing melodies.

@cp3 What about a 'monophonic' option for the pitch lane that allows only one note per step (like already in most other lanes). This would make it much easier to modify bass lines on the fly.

Another minor nitpick: This is the only audio unit that has "AUv3" in its name. Not sure if you can change the name without breaking all existing saved session.

• @divmod said:
    @cp3 What about a 'monophonic' option for the pitch lane that allows only one note per step (like already in most other lanes). This would make it much easier to modify bass lines on the fly.

Another minor nitpick: This is the only audio unit that has "AUv3" in its name. Not sure if you can change the name without breaking all existing saved session.

yeah, might be good to have separate mono and poly pitch lanes. thanks!

i'm aware of the AU name issue, think I should be able to change this without breaking projects because the hosts use a different identifier.

• cp3cp3
    edited October 2019

I wrote a manual: https://cp3.io/manual.html. It's still a work in progress but I'm hoping it can help some users who were stuck with the app.

edit: link didn't seem to work for some reason but you can copy/paste it into your browser url bar.

• I was wondering if time multiplier is a considered feature? If not, increasing bpm limit could be a workaround for faster modulations.
    Thanks