Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

MOZAIC - Create your own AU MIDI plugins - OUT NOW!

Comments

• Wow @_ki! Thanks! I just got back from a camping trip and saw this. I’m a huge Textastic fan, and had spent a couple of hours looking into making a sublime grammar for it, but decided it hurt my brain too much to be worth it. You are amazing. I can'twait to try it out.

Textastic is the bomb. It has saved my bacon a few times when I needed to do a quick fix or troubleshooting on web and php pages when nowhere near a computer. It even has a terminal emulator built-in. Fixed a down credit card processing system for a former employer while standing in line for Splash Mountain at Disneyland one day. Would have had to ditch the family and head back to the hotel otherwise.

Got off track there. The main point is ... thanks for doing this!!!

• McDMcD
    edited September 2019

@wim said:
    It even has a terminal emulator built-in.

Cool. I'd pay the extra $2 for that feature.

• Hi Bram, I have a great time making some midi plugins with your software. Inspired by the Piz midi plugins I am making a collection of little scripts, that help transform live midi input.

Thank you -ki for making that code validator. Very helpfull with finding mistakes. Much appriciated. Now I am not here to tease you with my upcoming “ControlChain”.

Bram I have a few tiny requests since you are doing an update...

I would like to be able to set the scrollTop of the description window in layout 4.

Also I would like to be able to set the floatPrecission when displaying numbers under the knobs.

In the script window, this will be harder having read about your struggles with the memory devouring apple text implementation...

A search box to easily find all the wrongVariable names and replace them with the rightVariable name.

Two buttons to comment and uncomment whole blocks of text.

Now with the remarkable work of -ki those last two requests are not that urgent anymore.
    Thanks for creating Mozaic. After trying all the midi tools on iOS this one realy clicks :-)

• @Alfred Nice re: Piz midi plugins scripts, those would be very handy. Yes, please.

• Oh Bram, two more things.

Can you make Mozaic not display knob 0 in Aum by default?
    This threw me off until i found you can switch it off in Aum.

Can you also please add an @onKnobUp handler?

Cheers

• Has anyone written a slewing script?

• edited September 2019

Yes Bryan did. I think it is called cc-processor.

Upcoming in the ControlChain:

DataReducer

To clamp down an overactive controller to a more sensible rate of transmission. This does a sample and hold on the chosen controller to thin the data stream.

Highest rate of transmission I found was the minilab2 modwheel. More then 640 changes per second. Insane!

No wonder some synths crash when you do that.

• @Alfred said:
    Yes Bryan did. I think it is called cc-processor.

Thx for the tip!

Upcoming in the ControlChain:

DataReducer

To clamp down an overactive controller to a more sensible rate of transmission. This does a sample and hold on the chosen controller to thin the data stream.

Highest rate of transmission I found was the minilab2 modwheel. More then 640 changes per second. Insane!

No wonder some synths crash when you do that.

• @Alfred said:
    Hi Bram, I have a great time making some midi plugins with your software. Inspired by the Piz midi plugins I am making a collection of little scripts, that help transform live midi input.

Also I would like to be able to set the floatPrecission when displaying numbers under the knobs.

It would be nice to have a decimal places parameter in the Round functions.

• Hi,
    I cannot access the manual (pdf) at all - i get ip is blocked temporarily. Any idea of why?

• @rajiv.perseedoss said:
    I cannot access the manual (pdf) at all - i get ip is blocked temporarily. Any idea of why?

Strange, I can still access it without problems from here.

I've attached the latest version of the manual to this post.

• @brambos that is amazing - thanks so much for the quick reply and the amAAAAzing manual!

If I may, let me run through what I'm intending to do. I'm a guitarist - singer who also wants to
    1. be able to prep sequences of chords at home (they will midi out to Korg Gadget, that I use primarily as my sound module for piano, pad, synth and organ shimmer)
    2. play them in a track to a bpm live
    3. be able to stop the track and then move across the chords at my own pace at certain points in the live setting.

So, I need a mix of a sequencer such as infinite looper/chordflow and dreamfoot x3.

With mosaic, I should be able to play through a sequence of predefined chords, whenever i press a key on my midi controller (thus emulating dreamfoot x3).
    Does mozaic have a bpm event that i could hook to and trigger chords? If yes, I'd have my chord sequence play automatically too.

Does any of the above sound familiar or clear?
    Thanks
    Rajiv

• Hi guys,
    How could i go about "midi learning" the controls so i can manipulate them from my midi controller?

Would this simply be a matter of adding code on midiNoteOn and cc to to detect specific midi messages and then changing the states of the desired UI controls?

• wimwim
    edited October 2019

@rajiv.perseedoss said:
    Hi guys,
    How could i go about "midi learning" the controls so i can manipulate them from my midi controller?

Would this simply be a matter of adding code on midiNoteOn and cc to to detect specific midi messages and then changing the states of the desired UI controls?

You might be better off using the host's features for this rather than bothering to it in Mozaic internally. Most host applications allow you to map incoming midi messages to AU parameters. Each knob in Mozaic is exposed as an AU parameter (Knob 0, Knob 1, etc). If you have trouble figuring out how to do that in your host, then let us know which it is and someone can help.

But if you do want to use midi cc's in the code, then yes, you just need to use the @OnMIDICC event and appropriate if statements. These would be hard-coded cc's. Setting up an internal "midi-learn" where you could alter the cc's at run-time would be more complicated.

If you need to really "learn" controls (i.e. be able to adapt to different controllers on the fly), host mode is the way to go. If you just want to know always that "cc 24 controls knob 0, cc 25 controls knob 1, etc) then hard-coding in the script is best.

• wimwim
    edited October 2019

@rajiv.perseedoss said:
    If I may, let me run through what I'm intending to do. I'm a guitarist - singer who also wants to
    1. be able to prep sequences of chords at home (they will midi out to Korg Gadget, that I use primarily as my sound module for piano, pad, synth and organ shimmer)
    2. play them in a track to a bpm live
    3. be able to stop the track and then move across the chords at my own pace at certain points in the live setting.

So, I need a mix of a sequencer such as infinite looper/chordflow and dreamfoot x3.

With mosaic, I should be able to play through a sequence of predefined chords, whenever i press a key on my midi controller (thus emulating dreamfoot x3).
    Does mozaic have a bpm event that i could hook to and trigger chords? If yes, I'd have my chord sequence play automatically too.

Does any of the above sound familiar or clear?
    Thanks
    Rajiv

You should probably take a look at the scripts on https://patchstorage.com/platform/mozaic/. There might be a script or two that already does what you want, or at least that you could modify for your purposes.

There are other combinations of apps that might get you where you want without having to do a bunch of coding. I'm not familiar with the dreamfoot, so I won't try to recommend anything. But I'm not sure I'd jump into coding until I'd investigated whether there's something off the shelf that can do the job already. ;)

• Also check out Navichord. It will sequence chords and has MIDI control.

I wish Dreamfoot would go AUv3. It does what it does really well, but there's no way to save/restore presets in the context of a larger config, as there would be if it could be hosted.

• @brambos : any intention of adding more layouts or opening it up for we could design our own?
    That'd be so helpful with scripting sequencers, where 16 pads are not that enough.

R

• @rajiv.perseedoss said:
    @brambos : any intention of adding more layouts or opening it up for we could design our own?
    That'd be so helpful with scripting sequencers, where 16 pads are not that enough.

Neither is planned at this point. I see the layouts really like the equivalent of hardware MIDI controllers, where you’re given a set of controls to get creative with.

• Thanks @brambos.

I have another question, which should have been already answered but I'm asking it just in case.

I'd like to write my script on my laptop, then upload it somewhere that i can then access from the mozaic app and load. How do i go about doing this?

• edited October 2019

@rajiv.perseedoss said:
    Thanks @brambos.

I have another question, which should have been already answered but I'm asking it just in case.

I'd like to write my script on my laptop, then upload it somewhere that i can then access from the mozaic app and load. How do i go about doing this?

@_ki made a really sophisticated solution for this if you want to use a really snazzy coding editor with syntax checking etc.: https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/comment/692066/#Comment_692066

If you're looking for a really simple basic solution you could use an editor that syncs using iCloud (such as Apple's Notes app), or use a Gmail draft document which syncs automatically and can be accessed easily from both your laptop and your iDevice. Then copy/paste the script into the Mozaic script window.

• @_ki : i tried getting this .. i get this error:

Error loading syntax file "Packages/User/Mozaic/mozaic.sublime-syntax": Error in regex: invalid pattern in look-behind in regex (?<!\S......\b(?i)endif(?-i)\b)(?<!\S.....\b(?i)endif(?-i)\b)(?<!\S....\b(?i)endif(?-i)\b)(?<!\S...\b(?i)endif(?-i)\b)(?<!\S..\b(?i)endif(?-i)\b)(?<!\S.\b(?i)endif(?-i)\b)(?<!\S\b(?i)endif(?-i)\b)(?<

Help please?

Ta
    R

• Greetings Mozaicians. I'm interested in this app to build a midi processor for the Octatrack's scenes and crossfader. I'm a complete novice with programming, but I've read through much of the guide and reckon I could figure out much of what I want to do, but it would without doubt take me hell of a long time and frustration. So I'm asking here if someone has tried to build something similar:

Scenes for the Octatrack's 8 audio tracks enable changing multiple parameters stored in 16 scenes and gliding between the values of any two scenes using the crossfader, or switching between scenes using scene select A or B. The Octatrack has 10 assignable CCs on each of its 8 midi tracks. But these CC values cannot be manipulated by scenes - this is probably the biggest feature request for the OT over the years.

The crossfader transmits values 0-127 on CC48 and Scene Select Buttons output values 0-15 on CC55 and CC56 respectively, so both scene select (A for crossfader left, B crossfader right) buttons can select any of the 16 scenes.

About a year ago, Midifire dev Alex was brilliant in creating a script which works, but involves entering values manually into the script, which is time consuming and can be hit and miss dialing in the desired value setting. The Mozaic GUI promises a more direct method: What I want to do is to use the Mozaic 16 pads to receive and store CC values for scenes. What would be even better would be, say, 4 banks per pad each with assignable CH and CC param, so one instance could contain scenes for 4 CC parameters. And then what appears to me the the biggest challenge - gliding between values and summing the values of the two scenes selected according to the position of the crossfader.

Tips or shared experience would be much appreciated!

• I am missing the Octatrack here, sadly.
    But if you try to do stuff doable by basic CC it should be doable.

• I have an octatrack and am a mozaic script developer.

So the mozaic script would be where you configure the actual CC targets and values for each scene?

Only thing would be currently scenes map a scene locked value back to its original value when transitioning to a scene that doesn't lock a parameter. I guess in this case that would be impossible so do all scenes apply to the same set of midi target CCs?

• @burns_audio said:
    I have an octatrack and am a mozaic script developer.

So the mozaic script would be where you configure the actual CC targets and values for each scene?

Hi Burns!

Well, I was thinking of using the 16 pad GUI for entering the CC values. Maybe the CC would have to be assigned in the script, but use the pads to assign 16 values of a given CC, but with switchable banks (say four) so a single instance of Mozaic could contain scenes for 4 Midi CC params.

Only thing would be currently scenes map a scene locked value back to its original value when transitioning to a scene that doesn't lock a parameter. I guess in this case that would be impossible so do all scenes apply to the same set of midi target CCs?

I guess a default value could be set for where there's no locked parameter. I wasn't dreaming of trying to implement selectable CC parameters per scene, so yes - the same set of midi target CCs.

Many thanks for the Spectrum bundle - I'm using them loads! Creating scenes for Modal and Spectrum is very much what I want to do!

• @brambos Will Apple's Catalina make it possible to port an instance of Mosaic to the Mac? Just curious.

For iPad developers, macOS Catalina makes it easier than ever to bring your apps to the Mac: The process starts by checking a single box in Xcode. For Mac users, that means many great iPad apps will soon make their way to the Mac.

• wimwim
    edited October 2019

@ElectroHead said:
    Greetings Mozaicians. I'm interested in this app to build a midi processor for the Octatrack's scenes and crossfader. I'm a complete novice with programming, but I've read through much of the guide and reckon I could figure out much of what I want to do, but it would without doubt take me hell of a long time and frustration. So I'm asking here if someone has tried to build something similar:

Scenes for the Octatrack's 8 audio tracks enable changing multiple parameters stored in 16 scenes and gliding between the values of any two scenes using the crossfader, or switching between scenes using scene select A or B. The Octatrack has 10 assignable CCs on each of its 8 midi tracks. But these CC values cannot be manipulated by scenes - this is probably the biggest feature request for the OT over the years.

The crossfader transmits values 0-127 on CC48 and Scene Select Buttons output values 0-15 on CC55 and CC56 respectively, so both scene select (A for crossfader left, B crossfader right) buttons can select any of the 16 scenes.

About a year ago, Midifire dev Alex was brilliant in creating a script which works, but involves entering values manually into the script, which is time consuming and can be hit and miss dialing in the desired value setting. The Mozaic GUI promises a more direct method: What I want to do is to use the Mozaic 16 pads to receive and store CC values for scenes. What would be even better would be, say, 4 banks per pad each with assignable CH and CC param, so one instance could contain scenes for 4 CC parameters. And then what appears to me the the biggest challenge - gliding between values and summing the values of the two scenes selected according to the position of the crossfader.

Tips or shared experience would be much appreciated!

I don’t know anything specifically about the Octatrack, and I only skimmed your post. But it seems like the MIDI Morph Pad II script might do the trick.

MIDI Morph Pad II – Save scenes of cc values and morph between them.

There are 19 knobs that can be configured to send any cc value. Hold SHIFT and turn a knob to change the cc that it sends.

Tap SHIFT to cycle through the layouts.

Tap any of the 16 pads to store a snapshot of the current cc values. Long-Press a pad to recall the values saved in it. Tap again on it or another pad to save.

Morph between the snapshots in the first four pads using the XY pads.

• @brambos said:

@Carnbot said:
    @brambos would it be possible in theory to set up a script with Mozaic to use a Bluetooth qwerty keyboard as a midi controller? :)

Heh. Interesting. Not right now, since keypresses aren't received as user input events, but it should be possible to do something like that. Let me ponder that one... :)

Hi!
    Qwerty keyboard usb/BT to MIDI? anytime soon?

• edited October 2019

Hi all ... I can’t remember how to install downloaded presets into Mozaic. I downloaded the manual but it seems to cover programming only. I tried searching the forum. It couldn’t locate it there either. I had a look in the Files app but can’t file the Mozaic folder in iCloud or “on my iPad”.

Would someone be good enough to remind me pls? Thanks 😊