Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Contacting 4Pockets

This from the dev:

People should follow the link on the (App Store) listing. Alternatively they can post on my facebook channel 4PocketsAudio or contact me via my YouTube channel 'Paul the Musicman'.

Comments

• I emailed him a few weeks ago but got no reply. Oh, well.

• @audio_DT said:
    I emailed him a few weeks ago but got no reply. Oh, well.

Strange - he gets back to me in a day or so during the week.

• wimwim
    edited October 2019

Same. Emailed and got no response. Tagged here and got no response. Left (polite) mention and took a star off in an app store review and got no response. No bug is worth it to me to sign on to Facebook. I'll try YouTube.

Ugh. Maybe I'll sign on to Facebook. :|

I followed the link in the app store and couldn't make heads or tails of that website or where it says to contact them. I was fortunately able to find the contact info on the AB forum.

Not complaining. Just relating my experience so far.

• http://4pocketsaudio.com/contact.php

Accessible from Contact Us link on homepage. I can’t answer as to response time, however, as I’ve never needed to contact them.

• Program, or do email all day. I know what I'd choose. ;)

Based on the number of apps they crank out, I'm guessing "program". Which is fine with me. But it is nice to know whether a developer acknowledges an issue and plans to fix it. At this point I have no idea whether he even agrees that the issue I reported is a "bug" or a "feature".

But, I can live with that.

• @wim said:
    Program, or do email all day. I know what I'd choose. ;)

Based on the number of apps they crank out, I'm guessing "program". Which is fine with me. But it is nice to know whether a developer acknowledges an issue and plans to fix it. At this point I have no idea whether he even agrees that the issue I reported is a "bug" or a "feature".

From what I understand he is working on that issue.

• The scale issue was fixed quickly which is great and an indication that the developer is attentive.

I submitted a short list of wishes such as mutes and bugs such as audio still being faintly present when mixer faders are set to zero etc.

Ultimately hoping for A/D or ADSR per pad, Filters per pad, Pad multi-layer volume adjustment and some form of mixer active-channel indication. These may or may not be in line with the developer's vision so for now they remain on the "DigiStix Fantasy List".

• @wim said:
    Program, or do email all day. I know what I'd choose. ;)

FWIW I did send a message on Facebook regarding velocity layers being additive in DigiStix, in a thread on DigiStix on the Facebook profile. Others have "liked" my comment so I know it has been seen by someone. I have yet to get a response though, but as I posted it today that is fine. I would have loved having that fixed before taking the plunge on the app though, as I now have missed the intro price, but I also don't wish to purchase an app if that particular thing isn't going to get fixed (i.e. if it is considered a feature and not a bug).

• @Proppa said:
    The scale issue was fixed quickly which is great and an indication that the developer is attentive.

I submitted a short list of wishes such as mutes and bugs such as audio still being faintly present when mixer faders are set to zero etc.

Ultimately hoping for A/D or ADSR per pad, Filters per pad, Pad multi-layer volume adjustment and some form of mixer active-channel indication. These may or may not be in line with the developer's vision so for now they remain on the "DigiStix Fantasy List".

I like this DigiStix Fantasy List. Hopefully we’ll see these in a future update. But so far I find him very responsive...and DigiStix as is has already propelled my iPad production more than any other software to date.

• wimwim
    edited October 2019

@hellquist said:
    FWIW I did send a message on Facebook regarding velocity layers being additive in DigiStix, in a thread on DigiStix on the Facebook profile. Others have "liked" my comment so I know it has been seen by someone. I have yet to get a response though, but as I posted it today that is fine.

Cool, thanks for saving me from having to post on Facebook. Don't understand exactly why I dislike it so much, but I do.

• @realdawei agreed: I've been using DigiStix every day since getting it. Totally addicted.

I'm wondering if a public (Audiobus Forum) thread listing DigiStix bugs / wishes is a positive or negative idea. On the plus it'd unify reports and requests "by committee" but on the downside it could spin into an entitlement mess.

• @wim said:
    Cool, thanks for saving me from having to post on Facebook. Don't understand exactly why I dislike it so much, but I do.

Well, in my book that makes you sane. I have spent a fair share of this year trying to inform my friends (and those interested) in why they need to break the chains to Facebook and Google. Some are confused by this, as I have made a large portion of my non-music career advising people and companies on how to use them efficiently, and I have even worked with both companies in my professional life, but hey.

I have come to the realisation that the less you use Facebook and/or Google, the better off you, me and everyone else are. I have written a whole set of articles on the topic this year.
    However, there is no point in committing a "Facebook suicide" etc. It is better to know where and how they keep track of you, and control that instead. I would suggest using DuckDuckGo instead of Google Search though, especially if you have a google account and/or gmail.

These days I limit my posting/commenting/liking on Facebook to music creation related groups, or interacting with the members in those groups that are my friends outside of those groups.

• @Proppa, the other day I was wondering whether you were their contact - your avatar looks so 4pocketsy :-)

I noticed "Paul the Musicman" being very active responding to users' comments on the initial launch videos on youtube (and perhaps still). I was thinking, that was new ... being more active there than here, for instance. But maybe youtube comments section is the platform where most users read what he says, and this place is just a tiny little corner in a niche subsegment of app users, who knows.

• @anickt said:

@audio_DT said:

I asked him about getting it to record midi output in NS2, and I’m beginning to think it’s just not possible. I have DigiStix and EG Pulse, both of which I love, but without being able to record the midi into NS2 they’re just toys for me. It’s a real shame because I’m a big fan of both.

• @audio_DT said:

@anickt said:

@audio_DT said:

I asked him about getting it to record midi output in NS2, and I’m beginning to think it’s just not possible. I have DigiStix and EG Pulse, both of which I love, but without being able to record the midi into NS2 they’re just toys for me. It’s a real shame because I’m a big fan of both.

I use DS in NS2 and just use its pattern/song mode. It works fine for me. But everyone has a different approach. B)

• @audio_DT said:

@anickt said:

@audio_DT said:

That sounds more like a NS2 problem. What have they said about it? Would be natural to start there.

• @anickt said:

@audio_DT said:

@anickt said:

@audio_DT said:

I use DS in NS2 and just use its pattern/song mode. It works fine for me. But everyone has a different approach. B)

Yeah, I know it can be used in that way but I like to see everything in the sequencer. For me, it’s just way too complex and fiddly to have percussion and other instruments in acompletely separate sequencer modes. I could use cubasis but I much prefer NS2. I think NS2 is far and away the best iPad sequencer - I just wish all its drawbacks could be ironed out. I’d pay ‘whatever’ for that because I’m a massive fan of the software, after initially not getting to grips with it.

• @bleep said:

@audio_DT said:

@anickt said:

@audio_DT said:

That sounds more like a NS2 problem. What have they said about it? Would be natural to start there.

Maybe it is. I’ve asked on here about it but no one seems to know. It’s such a shame because I’d love to be able to use DigiStix and Pulse in NS2. It just means I spent money on them but never really use them, aside from the odd bit of messing about in AUM. But they’re both great apps, no question about that.

• @audio_DT said:

@bleep said:

@audio_DT said:

@anickt said:

@audio_DT said:

Maybe it is. I’ve asked on here about it but no one seems to know. It’s such a shame because I’d love to be able to use DigiStix and Pulse in NS2. It just means I spent money on them but never really use them, aside from the odd bit of messing about in AUM. But they’re both great apps, no question about that.

The issue with NS2 not recording MIDI from AU's is a known problem and is on the to-do list. Only @dendy knows whats up with that and he's not at liberty to discuss it. There's a way around it using MIDI Router but I've never bothered with it since recording MIDI from AU's is not something I need in my workflow.

• @anickt said:

@audio_DT said:

@bleep said:

@audio_DT said:

@anickt said:

@audio_DT said:

The issue with NS2 not recording MIDI from AU's is a known problem and is on the to-do list. Only @dendy knows whats up with that and he's not at liberty to discuss it. There's a way around it using MIDI Router but I've never bothered with it since recording MIDI from AU's is not something I need in my workflow.

Well, that’s the thing. I use Midi Route for this exact purpose, and it’s dead simple to record midi using it. But with both DigiStix and Pulse it doesn’t work. I’ve tried all sorts of stuff to try to get them to work but with no joy - yet other apps work with Midi Route with no issues. This makes me wonder if it is indeed a problem with the apps rather than NS2. But I don’t know this, so I’m not apportioning ‘blame’ of anything. I’d just like to get them working. Periodically I try again, but always, so far, without success!

• @audio_DT said:

@bleep said:

@audio_DT said:

@anickt said:

@audio_DT said:

It’s definitely NS’s problem, and unfortunately not likely to be resolved any time soon. In the meantime have you considered just hosting it in AudioBus or AUM to send the midi into NS2? You can use one instance outside the NS2 to do the sequencing in, and one instance in NS2 to play and to record the midi.

• @wim said:

@audio_DT said:

@bleep said:

@audio_DT said:

@anickt said:

@audio_DT said:

It’s definitely NS’s problem, and unfortunately not likely to be resolved any time soon. In the meantime have you considered just hosting it in AudioBus or AUM to send the midi into NS2? You can use one instance outside the NS2 to do the sequencing in, and one instance in NS2 to play and to record the midi.

Thanks for this, Wim. I did try but didn’t succeed. Any tips on doing it this way? I’d be keen to get it going, if at all possible.

• @audio_DT said:

@wim said:

@audio_DT said:

@bleep said:

@audio_DT said:

@anickt said:

@audio_DT said:

Thanks for this, Wim. I did try but didn’t succeed. Any tips on doing it this way? I’d be keen to get it going, if at all possible.

Yeh, I’ll give you the step by step if you let me know whether AB or AUM is your tool of choice.

• edited October 2019

@anickt said:
    The issue with NS2 not recording MIDI from AU's is a known problem and is on the to-do list. Only @dendy knows whats up with that and he's not at liberty to discuss it.

There are 2 things, in relation to AU-MIDI, which are not implemented in NS yet :

1/ ability to record output of AU MIDI fx into sequencer - this is very easy doable using MIDI Tools Route plugin, it's so easy that i even don't see how this can be more easy by native support :)) /that's just my opinion, based on everyday use of this workflow/

2/ ability to record AU instrument internal keyboad/pads/whatever input interface instrument uses into sequencer - this is problem, no simple "in the box" workaround for this (except of hosting instrument in external host, like in AUM in MIDI slot and then route just MIDI into NS where is actually hosted same plugin as normal audio plugin - tried this with Pulse and, hm, ok it is not ideal but it works)

Atm, i have no knowledge about timeline for 1/ and especially 2/ , sorry guys.

• @anickt said:

@audio_DT said:

Agreed. I actually made a feature request directly within a App Store review (latch button for the note modifier keys) and it made the very next release. That’s never happened. Ace.

• @dendy said:
    2/ ability to record AU instrument internal keyboad/pads/whatever input interface instrument uses into sequencer - this is problem, no simple "in the box" workaround for this (except of hosting instrument in external host, like in AUM in MIDI slot and then route just MIDI into NS where is actually hosted same plugin as normal audio plugin - tried this with Pulse and, hm, ok it is not ideal but it works)

Atm, i have no knowledge about timeline for 1/ and especially 2/ , sorry guys.

#2 isn’t all that bad really. Especially in Audiobus since you can flip NS2 and the app with a single screen touch.

• edited October 2019

@audio_DT said:

Just load Pulse in NS.. Then run AUM, and load another Pulse in AUM (but not into audio channel, instead of that load it to MIDI channel - you will use it only as controller for Pulse loaded in NS)

Now set routing in AUM Pulse -> NS

Done. Now Pulse hosted in AUM is 't actually playing anything (i mean no sound), just sending MIDI into NS Pulse instance which will play sound. Now, if you hit record on NS, notes played in Pulse/AUM instance will be recorded to sequencer, into track with Pulse.

• edited October 2019

Same method can be used with Audiobus instead of AUM - just make sure you load "control" Pulse instance in "MIDI" tab of audiobus, instead of "audio"

• wimwim
    edited October 2019

Since we’re actually talking about DigiStix rather than Pulse here, I’ll add that it’s handy to create a “Silent” kit in both apps so as to not have to worry about muting audio. DigiStix won’t send midi out with an empty kit, so I quickly created such a kit by dragging an empty sample I have onto each pad. Here’s the link in case anyone wants this useful file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/lhkwe1bqqlsdnxd/Void.wav?dl=0

• Since we’re actually talking about DigiStix rather than Pulse here,

aah sorry, didn't read whole thread, just jumped in middle after i was mentioned in discussion :)