Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

ios distortion apps

Are there any apps for distortion/ saturation similar to isotopes Trash2? i’m looking to dirty up some audio. i have grind, but it’s a little extreme. just curious what everybody here likes

Comments

• @eross The 4pockets Overdrive is amazing. Wide range from light crunch to harder distortion.

• is 4pockets overdrive any good?

• KlevGrand ReAmp is my favourite, it can do subtle and not-so-subtle, and you can drive certain frequencies more than others, and also determine the amount of harmonics that are added.

• edited October 2019

In addition to grind, apps I’ve used to add a bit of noise are:

Shaper — really nice lots of different types of distortion available.
    FuzzPlus3 — a bit like grind with fewer features
    FAC Bandit — hard and soft saturation plus lo-fi effects applied to three separate frequency bands
    Dc-9 overdrive — modelled on the boss Overdrive pedal. might still be free? By makers of Viking synth.

Probably some more I’m forgetting.

There’s that new tone booster tape app thing which looks like it’s good for adding saturation, but I’ve not tried that yet.

• @eross said:
    is 4pockets overdrive any good?

See above.

• There's a free one from audio damage I think.

Also the saturation built into AUM (under dynamics) is a nice tanh saturator although I wish it allowed for higher gain so I end up stacking them 2 or 3 times

• Yeah, agreed. Woohoo at wave-folding.

I'm using it here to extra oomph to an acoustic guitar like sound in Spectrum.

• @mjcouche said:
    @eross The 4pockets Overdrive is amazing. Wide range from light crunch to harder distortion.

oh excellent

• @burns_audio said:
    There's a free one from audio damage I think.

Also the saturation built into AUM (under dynamics) is a nice tanh saturator although I wish it allowed for higher gain so I end up stacking them 2 or 3 times

i always forget aum has built in effects. i’ll have to check that one

• oh yeah shaper i forgot about that one

• edited October 2019
    • Grind by Audio Damage is probably the most 'non subtle' of the distortion options on ios. Its a wavetable distortion unit, which makes it somewhat unique. It is my favorite distortion plug because of the incoming gate and the multiple wavetable options as well as ability to move / skew through the wavetable with an LFO. Also has a filter section as well as various algorithms to calculate from, and amount of algo. It is hard to get anything 'subtle' from it though, but it does complete destruction quite well...

• Stark by Klevgr - similar to ReAmp

• ReAmp - Probably second favorite distortion

The following I bought but rarely use:
    RoughRider2
    iFX Rack - not impressed
    WaveFolder - similar to shaper
    ApeFilter - has overdriving ability

• FS Refraktor - cool filter / overdrive / feedback with sequencer

Shredder and Overdrive and DC-9 and FuzzPlus3 - These aren't bad but prefer others

Beatformer - add 'boom' 'punch' and 'squash', seems redundant compared to similar apps.

Degrader and Squashit - do we really need another bit crush / sample crush au??

• Electrogene - Like degrader but a little bit better, still mainly bitcrush / samplecrush

• Dedalus - More of a granular delay, but FANTASTIC overdrive capabilities.

• = my favorites

I'd LOVE to see more distortion options that use something OTHER than bitcrush / samplecrush, maybe some serious routing options / pitch drop or shift / carrier signal input (like a vocoder) / gate or compression all in one package. Mixing a great routing setup plus aspects from plugs like ReAmp, Grind, Shaper, and Deadalus into a single unit would be pretty cool.

• I get a lot of use from Saffron Saturator

• Shaper
    Electrogene and accompanying Stella app
    Both Fuzz and Grind from Audio Damage

BUT MY NUMBER 1: BANDIT!

• +1 for Shaper!

• i agree i just tried bandit, and i’m really liking so far

• wimwim
    edited October 2019

heh. I'm surprised how long it took to see Bandit mentioned! Love it for the control over which part(s) of the EQ get mangled.
    I also love the control and flexibility of Reamp, though it is more subtle than some options.

Shaper and Grind for serious mangling for me.

• 4Pockets OverDrive is Universal... I was looking for something to replace ReAmp for my iPhone AUM use and @mjcouche recommended OverDrive. It has a range of uses that none of the other grinder apps offer. Like ReAmp it can be subtle Tube Saturation but doesn't stop there is ranges up to the total trashing of the signal in extra noise like the other Shapers. I almost missed it in the flood of 4Pockets utilities. Thanks @mjcouche:

• FAC Bandit FTW!

• In Auria Pro FabFilter Saturn followed by Sugarbytes WOW2 = A killer combo.........

• @oldschoolwillie said:
    In Auria Pro FabFilter Saturn followed by Sugarbytes WOW2 = A killer combo.........

is fabfilter saturn available outside of auria?

• @eross said:

No. Not on IOS. But if you have $30-40 I'd set it aside. (I'm not hinting at anything... I just expect they'll keep porting their assets and price them to pay some bills).

Until then use this thread to consider some apps that do run outside of Auria Pro. I wonder which one is closest to Saturn.

• Currently free:

https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/dc-9-overdrive/id1062115431

https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/fuzzplus-3/id1263928193

ReelBus is looking ReelNice. Might have to halt my self imposed abstinence from the App Store for that one...

• edited October 2019

@eross said:

@oldschoolwillie said:
    In Auria Pro FabFilter Saturn followed by Sugarbytes WOW2 = A killer combo.........

You can't buy FabFilter in AUv3 yet....its not for distortion anyway
    Sugarbytes WOW2 is $14.99 USD now maybe it will go on sale for the holidays.
    WOW2 is the best distortion app on IOS period...
    don't believe me watch the video......

Sugarvytes WOW2 trailer
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=24&v=KNU1lqVXM4I
    WOW2 App Store
    https://apps.apple.com/us/app/wow-filterbox/id666864434

• Bandit it’s simply amazing and super flexible. But, it’s a resource whore I find.

• I wish wow was auv3 already 😛

• Shaper is bomb
    Flection is also, but not AU :(

• @audiblevideo said:
    Shaper is bomb

Flection is really one of my favorites.
    Extremely versatile app!

• edited October 2019

@flo26 said:

@audiblevideo said:
    Shaper is bomb

Flection is really one of my favorites.
    Extremely versatile app!

I know 😊. Your alias has become inexorably linked to this app, which I got because of your remarks and Doug’s demo