Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

LFO generator to replace the one in Rosetta?

hi all, would love some suggestions for a better LFO generator than the one in the Rosetta suite. I find the Rosetta LFO app very limited. It's not fast or slow enough, and it's fiddly to deal with subtle changes. Any alternatives? I would ideally like it AU3 compatible.

Comments

• edited October 2019
  • They look great. Is MidiMod an audio unit app?

• @jameslondon74 said:
    They look great. Is MidiMod an audio unit app?

Unfortunately not it’s standalone and primarily designed for controlling hardware but can be used with virtual midi.

• Ah bummer. It looked awesome. I really want to stick with Audio Units, especially in light of the news that inter app audio is on its way out after iOS13. (rumours!). And I love how audio units work, in terms of saving everything as a setup.

• This looks good. How fast and slow?

• @jameslondon74 said:

This looks good. How fast and slow?

In slow mode the slowest speed is 0.002Hz and it can go up to 32Hz.
    In sync mode one cycle can be up to 8 bars.

It can also be triggered by note on so it can really behave like an extra LFO when a synth needs more.
    And the LFOs can also modulate each other.

I use it mainly as an extra LFO for my MicroFreak.

• Ok thanks. I just realised when I asked how fast or slow it can go, I actually have no idea what those numbers mean! I guess I'll have to try it - but I assume it can go into audio rate?

• @jameslondon74 said:
    Ok thanks. I just realised when I asked how fast or slow it can go, I actually have no idea what those numbers mean! I guess I'll have to try it - but I assume it can go into audio rate?

Remember it's still Midi CC and not an 'audio rate oscillator'.
    If you need audio rate modulation for sound design you're better of using a modular synth to design your sounds with :)

• I think it's unfair not to mention the Mozaic Chaos LFO script.

https://patchstorage.com/chaos-lfo/

Because having a chaotic differential equation solver LFO is about as close to a flux capacitor you're gonna get as AUv3.

• I've heard about Mosaic but I'm worried it will be too complicated for me. I'm not a programmer.

• @jameslondon74 said:
    I've heard about Mosaic but I'm worried it will be too complicated for me. I'm not a programmer.

No need to program, just download some presets ;)

• edited October 2019

I use the SEND MIDI from Apematrix inside AUM
    You can use the 8 sender as LFO 🤘

• +1000 For Midi LFO’s. Such a great little app.

• edited October 2019

@Samu said:
    Remember it's still Midi CC and not an 'audio rate oscillator'.

It's not that generating MIDI CC messages at audio rate is particularly difficult. The problem is all the synths and effects simply going belly-up trying to receive them. And hosts clogging completely trying to route that many control messages ;)

• @brambos said:

It's not that generating MIDI CC messages at audio rate is particularly difficult. The problem is all the synths and effects simply going belly-up trying to receive them. And hosts clogging completely trying to route that many control messages ;)

Yeah, and seriously though sending Midi CC's with sample accuracy (ie. one CC per sample) would probably slow things down a lot) so we'll just have to be happy if it's one value per CC during a 'buffer' or something?!

• @Samu said:

@brambos said:

Yeah, and seriously though sending Midi CC's with sample accuracy (ie. one CC per sample) would probably slow things down a lot) so we'll just have to be happy if it's one value per CC during a 'buffer' or something?!

I think you can double that relatively safely, but some synths/effects will have problems if you go higher.

Niquist's theorem then dictates the maximum LFO frequency that can be achieved with any sort of accuracy.

• I hear you guys, thanks. I've used apps that can push LFO into what sounds like audio rate (zeeon, all the ape soft apps).

• @Hkor said:

wow. so I use ape matrix as an LFO source?? I got rid of ape matrix because I wanted to be able to record every track. So I use AUM instead. Hence the need for decent LFOs (the LFOs on all ape soft apps are amazing).

• @brambos said:

Niquist's theorem then dictates the maximum LFO frequency that can be achieved with any sort of accuracy.

At higher modulation frequencies the results are closer to using a square wave for modulation rather than ramp, sine, triangle as in some cases if values are missed the modulation could actually sound like it's running slower than the set frequency...
    (Even the MicroFreaks LFO behaves a bit weird when running at higher frequencies and it goes up to 100Hz and in those cases it's better to use the Cycling Envelope as it's more 'reliable' at faster rates).

For the Freak midiLFOs is a good companion app with with one shot and key-sync control of the LFOs.

For audio rate modulation I'd keep external apps out of the equation as long as possible.

• @Hkor said:

Wow, didn't know this existed. Each of these is a LFO?

• wimwim
    edited October 2019

@jameslondon74 said:
    I hear you guys, thanks. I've used apps that can push LFO into what sounds like audio rate (zeeon, all the ape soft apps).

But those are handled internally in the app. That's different than trying to send midi messages between apps at that kind of rate. Hosts and apps just aren't designed to be able to handle that rate of midi messages being sent and received.

• @wim said:

@jameslondon74 said:
    I hear you guys, thanks. I've used apps that can push LFO into what sounds like audio rate (zeeon, all the ape soft apps).

But those are handled internally in the app. That's different than trying to send midi messages between apps at that kind of rate. Hosts and apps just aren't designed to be able to handle that rate of midi messages being sent and received.

Makes sense.

• @Hkor thanks for the outstanding tip! right under my nose

• edited October 2019

They aren't AU3 but they record manual input (controler motions) and do midi well

CCPal and X/Y Pal by Happy Coding UG

99¢ each. Bargain.

• @Hkor said:

YES. Thank you.
    This is awesome.

• How do use Send MIDI as LFOs? Is there a setting I'm missing?

• Another vote for Send Midi AU, currently the deepest LFO AUv3 we have I think. Also has a playable X/Y mode.
    You can rename each LFO and it's a multi port AU out to make it easy routing :)