Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Mobile vs Desktop Panel at the Audio Developer Conference this year

edited October 2019 in App Development

iOS Music is getting its due at the big Audio Developer Conference in London this year!

After years of coding, I'm humbled and honored to be moderating this panel with such amazing panelists. It'll be live-streamed for everyone at home.

Interview/Preview:
https://juce.com/discover/stories/introducing-the-mobile-vs-desktop-software-panel

Comments

• Woah, interesting! Looking forward to it!

• Looking forward for this!

• Some dodgy looking characters there :D
    Hopefully the live streams will be recorded and put up somewhere so that we can still watch if we cannot watch live.

• Cool stuff! Interested when it comes out.

• Curious if the focus will be about merging the two, or taking advantage of the distinct strengths of each platform

• Thanks for the support 🙏

The streams will be on Youtube afterwards!

• It looks like Apple's Catalyst is intended to assist IOS Game Developers to
    move easily to Mac's OS X environment. I don't see effort to make OS X AU's
    port easily to IOS or any other obvious audio benefits. Still, IOS is getting more and more
    investment from desktop development shops since the users are migrating away from
    expensive laptops since they just need a browser, spreadsheet and email to do most work related computing.

• @McD said:
    It looks like Apple's Catalyst is intended to assist IOS Game Developers to
    port easily to IOS or any other obvious audio benefits. Still, IOS is getting more and more

I'm confused. Can you help me understand?
    Catalyst is absolutely a pathway for iOS AUv3s to run on macOS. Apple is lobbying music app developers, hard. There are speculations that you'll see 200 to 300 low cost Mac Catalyst versions of iOS AUv3s in the coming year. Maybe even an AUv3 store on mac... and, in Logic.

And this might surprise some non-developers here: There currently doesn't need to be an effort for desktop AUs to be ported easily to iOS, as one exists. The VAST majority of desktop plugins (Korg, Waves, Serum, Output, Arturia, U-He, Image Line, Audio Damage... basically every paid VST) are built with JUCE, which is cross-platform. If the UI is in order, making an iOS plugin with JUCE can be as easy as checking a box. (Even the Moog apps are built this way, they skip the desktop target and only build for iOS with JUCE).

TLDR; The reason you don't see your favorite desktop plugins as iOS plugins is usually a business decision, and a not a technical decision. Chris Randall has blogged that the "costs" of making iOS versions of their plugins is simply the testing on the devices and supporting 8x the users.

• @analog_matt said:

@McD said:
    It looks like Apple's Catalyst is intended to assist IOS Game Developers to

Catalyst is absolutely a pathway for iOS AUv3s to run on macOS. Apple is lobbying music app developers, hard. There are speculations that you'll see 200 to 300 low cost Mac Catalyst versions of iOS AUv3s in the coming year. Maybe even an AUv3 store on mac... and, in Logic.

And this might surprise some non-developers here: There currently doesn't need to be an effort for desktop AUs to be ported easily to iOS, as one exists. The VAST majority of desktop plugins (Korg, Waves, Serum, Output, Arturia, U-He, Image Line, Audio Damage... basically every paid VST) are built with JUCE, which is cross-platform. If the UI is in order, making an iOS plugin with JUCE can be as easy as checking a box. (Even the Moog apps are built this way, they skip the desktop target and only build for iOS with JUCE).

TLDR; The reason you don't see your favorite desktop plugins as iOS plugins is usually a business decision, and a not a technical decision. Chris Randall has blogged that the "costs" of making iOS versions of their plugins is simply the testing on the devices and supporting 8x the users.

Wow. This is great to hear. Thanks for the insight. Hopefully more devs choose to ‘check the box’ ✅

• @analog_matt said:

No. It looks like I'M confused. Good news to know it's bi-directional in practice.
    What I saw using Google didn't make that clear. Lots of details about using XCode
    to move games from IOS to a Mac. I had some fun making AudioKit D1 run on my Mac using
    the Xcode emulator (with your assistance, @analog_matt).

Does AudioKit use JUCE too or just play well with it. Is it an either/or both decision for a developer?

• @McD said:

@analog_matt said:

No. It looks like I'M confused. Good news to know it's bi-directional in practice.
    What I saw using Google didn't make that clear. Lots of details about using XCode
    to move games from IOS to a Mac. I had some fun making AudioKit D1 run on my Mac using
    the Xcode emulator (with your assistance, @analog_matt).

Does AudioKit use JUCE too or just play well with it. Is it an either/or both decision for a developer?

Thanks for the details!

It's typically an either/or decision. JUCE can be written on Windows and uses C++. While AudioKit uses native iOS and Mac development tools (Xcode, etc) and can be written in the Apple-recommended iOS development language, Swift.

AudioKit attempts to natively create AUv3s using Apple frameworks. Which is not something a lot of plugin developers do. Currently, we're attempting to create a canonical example of AUv3 hosts and plugins, which can serve as a standard example for both host & plugin developers using native iOS development tools.