Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Drone / dark ambient music made with iOS

Hi all, I recently returned to music making in earnest after some (unfortunate) time away and several false starts. I have to give a lot of credit to this community for sparking my interest in making music with iOS, as well as for all the invaluable information I picked up on the apps and techniques available. It's really opened up my eyes to to possibilities of creating sound art with the tools I already had available (old iPad, intermittent free time).

In a step toward accountability and momentum-building, I've shared some tracks resulting from this work on a Bandcamp page, and thought that I kind of owed it to this group to share here as well:

scarredarchimedes.bandcamp.com

Descriptors would be drone, exploratory ambient, tape loops, generative sequencing. Some of the main tools I used in putting this together are FieldScaper/SoundScaper, PolyPhase, and Self-a-Fuzz (such a deceptively deep drone box/sound machine), as well as Mozaic scripts from @burns_audio and @Bryan. Among several other great apps I learned about here!

I’d like to invite you to give a listen - much obliged.

Comments

• I listened to your album all the way through and I really enjoyed it. Thank you for sharing! I’m honored to have played a small part in your musical journey, @Scarred_Archimedes. Almost all the scripts I wrote on patchstorage.com were written for my own use, but I released them ‘into the wild’ in the hope that maybe someone else out there might also find them useful. So it pleases me to hear that you’ve used them in your compositions.

• This Is really good stuff man!!! I love ambient/ downtempo And I love iOS music!
    Def gonna get a more in depth listen over time.
    Do you have any videos using self a fuzz ???
    I’ve never picked it in but always been curious how it sounds

• Very cool. I particularly liked the harder edge in ‘Shared Measure of Movement’.
    How do you like PolyPhase?
    I second the praise for Self-a-fuzz. It’s great to combine it with EsotericSynth. Instant drone madness.

• Hey all, thanks for your kind words. It feels validating to have something one's created connect with others in even a small way.

@Bryan - Thank you. I'm a Metroplex devotee.

@reasOne - No videos, but perhaps down the line. Self-a-Fuzz can really operate much differently than the distortion effect I initially thought it to be. Most of the videos and demos I checked had it fuzzing up drums and/or guitar, but with the ability to mix in four voices of drone oscillators, plus white noise (and randomize everything in a controlled), it's really more of a demented soundscape machine IMO. One thing that I particularly like is that you can mix the clean signal back in after applying all the distortion effects and adding the drones, so you can slowly turn up that knob to have the clean track swell and "rise up" from the fuzzy mess.

@Philandering_Bastard - Love PolyPhase. The only "problem" is that it's so easy to just start up the app and get lost in making endlessly evolving music, without ever trying to integrate it into a fuller track. Kind of "amusing myself to death," as it were. And Esoteric Synth dumped into Self-a-Fuzz is actually what I was just working with earlier today. Incredible combination.

• Ha. That combination finally cured me of my irrational lust for a Grendel Drone Commander.

• Listening now…
    great stuff

I've been trying similar

• 🤜⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️This one —> Free oscillations of the earth // [precept]

• @Philandering_Bastard said:
    Ha. That combination finally cured me of my irrational lust for a Grendel Drone Commander.

I know what you mean. If they were more regularly available I can’t guarantee I wouldn’t have given in to irrational temptation by now.

• @audiblevideo said:
    Listening now…
    great stuff

I've been trying similar

Noice. Which apps did you use?

• @audiblevideo said:
    Listening now…
    great stuff

I've been trying similar

This is marvelous.

• edited October 2019

@Philandering_Bastard said: