Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

New Jazz Drummer from Lumbeat on its way...

Comments

• Wow! Any idea how soon?

• edited October 2019

Oh my! This could be fun...

• He just posted this teaser on his Facebook page, no other details

• Any idea if it'll be AU? I've got his Future Drummer and it's brilliant, but it's not AU so I very rarely use it. If the new one is AU, I'd buy it without even looking at the price.

• @TimRussell said:
    He just posted this teaser on his Facebook page, no other details

Hope it’s Auv3..

• If I recall correctly, he has let it be known that he has been finding it tricky to post his engine to AUv3. So, my guess is that it isn’t AUv3 though I hope I’m wrong.

• @espiegel123 said:
    If I recall correctly, he has let it be known that he has been finding it tricky to post his engine to AUv3. So, my guess is that it isn’t AUv3 though I hope I’m wrong.

I suspect you are not....

• This is fantastic news!

• Finally we might have something softer than soft drummer

• How soft does this go?

• @hisdudeness said:
    Finally we might have something softer than soft drummer

I am hoping this won't be softer but have driving bop/post-bop grooves that can really drive a tune.

• edited October 2019

@espiegel123 said:

@hisdudeness said:

I am hoping this won't be softer but have driving bop/post-bop grooves that can really drive a tune.

Yah me too. But I will take cool and chill too.

• @AudioGus said:

@espiegel123 said:

@hisdudeness said:

I need Elvin Jones in a box

• I hope that IBassist gets extra styles for a jazz rhythm section using the new jazz drummer styles... lots of walking bass patterns for ii- V - I style standards. So useful for practicing improvising over standards changes.

• @espiegel123 said:

@AudioGus said:

@espiegel123 said:

@hisdudeness said:

Along with his buddies Kenny, Max, Art, Philly Joe, Tony, Jack, Billy and Antonio.
    That’s not too much to ask..?

• @TimRussell said:

@espiegel123 said:

@AudioGus said:

@espiegel123 said:

@hisdudeness said:

Along with his buddies Kenny, Max, Art, Philly Joe, Tony, Jack, Billy and Antonio.

I'm in if it captures all these cats.

• @espiegel123 said:
    If I recall correctly, he has let it be known that he has been finding it tricky to post his engine to AUv3. So, my guess is that it isn’t AUv3 though I hope I’m wrong.

Ok.. never read it anywhere..

Maybe MIDI export can make up for no Auv3.. iBassist does have a great midi export..

• @RajahP said:

@espiegel123 said:

Maybe MIDI export can make up for no Auv3.. iBassist does have a great midi export..

In the meantime, it is not too painful to MIDI record the drummers’ MIDI output with the sequencer or plugin of your choice.

• @TimRussell said:

@espiegel123 said:

@AudioGus said:

@espiegel123 said:

@hisdudeness said:

Tony Williams should be enough for most ... but what if it did Tony Oxley too??? ..... eh?? that would be some obtuse programming from mr Lum.. i might go into the £30 - £40 ( probably beyond ) zone for that!

• @espiegel123 said:

@RajahP said:

@espiegel123 said:

In the meantime, it is not too painful to MIDI record the drummers’ MIDI output with the sequencer or plugin of your choice.

No it’s not.. I do it all the time.. but, it will be nice to just press EXPORT... Export 1,2,3 -16 bars.. or Export Song mode.

iBassist’s amazing export..

• @RajahP said:

@espiegel123 said:

@RajahP said:

@espiegel123 said:

No it’s not.. I do it all the time.. but, it will be nice to just press EXPORT... Export 1,2,3 -16 bars.. or Export Song mode.

iBassist’s amazing export..

Agree agree agree. I have all of the Lums but would love simple perfect loop/song export etc.

• @espiegel123 said:

@RajahP said:

@espiegel123 said:

Yes that’s what I do (into Gadget). I actually prefer this method.

Does anyone know if iBassist lets you record the midi out? If so I might buy it too.

• edited October 2019

@Matt_Fletcher_2000 said:

@espiegel123 said:

@RajahP said:

@espiegel123 said:

Does anyone know if iBassist lets you record the midi out? If so I might buy it too.

Yes there are midi outs (+), actually 3 channels 1 for bass and two for chords (chop chords etc) ... It does have it advantages recording ‘Live’ (as with Future Drummer)... there are 8 pads presets that you can setup variations and switch between them (while recording). and there is song mode you can record live.. Also sending midi out to Bram’s Troublemaker, etc. so you are not limited to the included bass sounds..

Definitely an iOS gem.. nothing like it even on desktop.. well worth the 3 jumbo lattes..

Sorry, didn’t mean to hijack the thread...

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/27325/ibassist-by-luis-martinez-instant-bass-lines-getting-started-tutorial/p1

• @Matt_Fletcher_2000 said:

@espiegel123 said:

@RajahP said:

@espiegel123 said:

Yes it does, on 3 different channels, your bass line on one channel, and then 2 versions of the chord track on 2 other channels, so you can use different settings on each. So you can get the bass, a chord track, and then use the second chord track to drive an ARP in Gadget ;)

• @AndyPlankton said:

@Matt_Fletcher_2000 said:

@espiegel123 said:

@RajahP said:

@espiegel123 said:

Yes it does, on 3 different channels, your bass line on one channel, and then 2 versions of the chord track on 2 other channels, so you can use different settings on each. So you can get the bass, a chord track, and then use the second chord track to drive an ARP in Gadget ;)

ha, just spotted @RajahP said this already D'oh!

• That's Tony Williams image in the product announcement. He was the 17 year old drummer that played
    in the Miles Davis' 2nd Great Quartet from '62 to '68.

He took the polyrhythmic ideas of Elvin Jones to new levels of 4 limb independence. His jazz style was
    features a roaring with hand ride cymbal contrasted with complex linear lines from his snare/bass drum/hi-hat. This style is unmistakable as "Jazz".

Tony went on to innovate these polyrhythmic ideas against the straight eight style of the Jazz Fusion era
    that followed his departure from Mile's group. Mile (always the innovator) took the same turn towards combining the innovations of Jimi Hendrix with the improvisations of jazz players. Over-driven guitar was the key to the transition.

I'm expecting Luis Martinez will synthesize the polyrhythm elements of the early Tony Williams style. For all the earlier players he will just need to reduce the number of notes per bar in the patterns.

For anyone that likes this style of drumming this will be a truly innovative type of Drum Machine if it doesn't repeat itself in any obvious ways. Taking the swing out of the playing with MIDI quantize will also create some interesting Fusion Drum Styles that have no persistent backbeat in the patterns or even regular accent patterns which is the hall mark of funk and prog rock. It's the main reason no one dances to this style of jazz... they can't figure out where "one" is.

• edited October 2019

It’s actually Max Roach in the image.
    But apart from that I agree that if Luis can get that Tony Williams floaty thing going on this app will be the drum machine I’ve been wanting ever since I discovered iOS music making.

• McDMcD
    edited October 2019

@TimRussell said:
    It’s actually Max Roach in the image.

You might be right. It depends on the mustache... Tony had a pale one and Max did not (as I recall). Tony was also a lot smaller and that makes me think it's Tony as the model for the artist.

Max on Left and young Tony on right:

But apart from that I agree that if Luis can get that Tony Williams floaty thing going on this app will be the drum machine I’ve been wanting ever since I discovered iOS music making.

Yes. No current drum a machine comes close and it's not really a hard thing to make but there's not a huge audience for the "non-dancing" style of driving pulsed drumming.

• Great photo of Max and Tony. Two legends, to be sure.