Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Groove Rider GR-16 Released!

Comments

• @DaveMagoo said:

@rs2000 said:

@DaveMagoo said:

@DMan said:

@DaveMagoo said:
    @jimpavloff any chance of files integration?

It’s been there for a while. Are you not seeing it? For samples, wavetables, and audio exports.

Can’t figure out how to import direct from the app?

Either hit WAVE > User > scroll to bottom of list and hit "Load from AudioShare"
    or
    place the files into the correct folders of GR-16 using Files app, iTunes, iFunbox etc.

App folders:

1. Groove Rider/
      Everything you place here will be seen in GR-16 under WAVE > User. Creating sub folders is supported and helps getting fast and organised, it will also speed up scrolling to the bottom of the list for AudioShare import.

2. Groove Rider/Wave
      What you place here will be available as imported user wavetables in GR-16 under WAVE > Wave.

Thanks for taking the time, that answers my question.

Would be great if I could load samples direct from the Files app...to save duplication and have a bigger pool to choose from 🤔

• @DaveMagoo said:

@DaveMagoo said:

@rs2000 said:

@DaveMagoo said:

@DMan said:

@DaveMagoo said:

It’s been there for a while. Are you not seeing it? For samples, wavetables, and audio exports.

Either hit WAVE > User > scroll to bottom of list and hit "Load from AudioShare"
    or
    place the files into the correct folders of GR-16 using Files app, iTunes, iFunbox etc.

App folders:

1. Groove Rider/
      Everything you place here will be seen in GR-16 under WAVE > User. Creating sub folders is supported and helps getting fast and organised, it will also speed up scrolling to the bottom of the list for AudioShare import.

2. Groove Rider/Wave
      What you place here will be available as imported user wavetables in GR-16 under WAVE > Wave.

Would be great if I could load samples direct from the Files app...to save duplication and have a bigger pool to choose from 🤔

You can load them from Files app. In Files, use the Share menu to get selected files into Grooverider.

• @espiegel123 said:

@DaveMagoo said:

@DaveMagoo said:

@rs2000 said:

@DaveMagoo said:

@DMan said:

@DaveMagoo said:

or

App folders:

1. Groove Rider/

2. Groove Rider/Wave

You can load them from Files app. In Files, use the Share menu to get selected files into Grooverider

Ah, indeed!

• edited June 2019

I've recently purchased Groove Rider and it's awesome! I want to use it in a live setting, but I have a question about MIDI controllers. Is it possible to route a MIDI keyboard to a specific channel? For instance, I have a bass sound on part 2 and a lead sound on part 3, and I want MIDI keyboard A to always play the bass sound, and MIDI keyboard B to always play the lead sound. Can I use audiobus for this? Thanks.

• Each part is its own MIDI channel so Groove Rider works exactly like you want it to, Audiobus is not required. Just use the camera connection kit to plug in your controller, set the controller to the MIDI channel of the part you want to control and you'll be stylin'. If you want to use multiple MIDI controllers plug a USB hub into the camera connection kit (it may need to be a powered hub) and plug your keyboards into the hub. If you set each of the keyboards to send on a different MIDI channel you'll get the result you're looking for.

• @Billewis said:
    Each part is its own MIDI channel so Groove Rider works exactly like you want it to, Audiobus is not required. Just use the camera connection kit to plug in your controller, set the controller to the MIDI channel of the part you want to control and you'll be stylin'. If you want to use multiple MIDI controllers plug a USB hub into the camera connection kit (it may need to be a powered hub) and plug your keyboards into the hub. If you set each of the keyboards to send on a different MIDI channel you'll get the result you're looking for.

Thank you for taking the time to answer my question. I'm pretty new to this.

I was also wondering which controller is recommended to use with GrooveRider to control the drum machine and effects in a live setting. Novation Launchcontrol XL, Akai APC40 or maybe something else?

Thanks again.

• I like the immediacy of the iPad and rarely plug a controller into it, although I do own a Keith McMillen QuNeo. The challenge with controllers is they don't always match the settings on your screen - in this case your iPad - and you're always moving the knobs and sliders around to get them in sync with the iPad (or laptop / desktop) so they match.

I'd just rather tweak my iPad.

• wimwim
    edited June 2019

@ZimbaKu said:

@Billewis said:
    Each part is its own MIDI channel so Groove Rider works exactly like you want it to, Audiobus is not required. Just use the camera connection kit to plug in your controller, set the controller to the MIDI channel of the part you want to control and you'll be stylin'. If you want to use multiple MIDI controllers plug a USB hub into the camera connection kit (it may need to be a powered hub) and plug your keyboards into the hub. If you set each of the keyboards to send on a different MIDI channel you'll get the result you're looking for.

Thank you for taking the time to answer my question. I'm pretty new to this.

I was also wondering which controller is recommended to use with GrooveRider to control the drum machine and effects in a live setting. Novation Launchcontrol XL, Akai APC40 or maybe something else?

Thanks again.

A little bit of additional information: GR’s “MIDI In Mode” needs to be set to Poly for each pad to receive on its own channel. If set to Omni, all midi goes to the currently selected pad.

Also, there is a utility called mfxStrip that you can use to translate the channel for controllers that don’t support onboard changing of channels. mfxConvert can be handy also for things like mapping controller pads to GR-16 pads where it’s not possible to configure the pads to send on different channels.

[edit] actually ... I assumed you would be using some kind of a host like Audiobus or AUM. If not, then standalone tools like MIDIFlow or MIDIFire are more appropriate than the mfx tools.

• Are new features still being developed for grooverider or is it basically complete at this point?

I only ask because I really enjoy the ESX1 ability to play back loops and cop/transform them in real time and was wondering if this is ever likely to become an option on gr16?

• @AikiGhost said:
    Are new features still being developed for grooverider or is it basically complete at this point?

I only ask because I really enjoy the ESX1 ability to play back loops and cop/transform them in real time and was wondering if this is ever likely to become an option on gr16?

I was under the impression, based on comments by the dev a while back, that after song mode was put in, it was basically done. But I’d be happy to be wrong!

• Jim is pretty quiet last few months, i bet he is cooking some new amazing app which will blow out our minds :-)) Looking forward for that :-))

• @AikiGhost said:
    Are new features still being developed for grooverider or is it basically complete at this point?

I'm not Jim but I guess I can say that you won't see big new features.
    Fixes for upcoming issues? Certainly yes.

You can play back and manipulate loops in GR16, what exactly are you missing?

• Thank you!!!! Got my GR folder fully loaded with all the free Serum files!!!❤️❤️❤️❤️😌

@jimpavloff said:

@Michael_R_Grant said:
    Thanks very much for making EDIT 1 and EDIT 2 now show the parameter being affected. Brilliant stuff, it makes a real difference to the UI.

My big feature request now is for us to get more than one mod slot and for the EDIT 2 parameter to become a destination. Dunno how you fit that in on screen, though. Maybe a toggle to flip between mod slots?

I'm loading some Serum wavetables into the Wave synth. Is there any easy way to get a load of them in there at once? I was doing the 'open zip file in Audioshare, then export them one by one to Files' way.

Place wavetable files into Wave folder for them to appear in GR. But remember, no subfolders supported inside the Wave folder.

• @Tones4Christ said:
    Thank you!!!! Got my GR folder fully loaded with all the free Serum files!!!❤️❤️❤️❤️😌

@jimpavloff said:

@Michael_R_Grant said:
    Thanks very much for making EDIT 1 and EDIT 2 now show the parameter being affected. Brilliant stuff, it makes a real difference to the UI.

My big feature request now is for us to get more than one mod slot and for the EDIT 2 parameter to become a destination. Dunno how you fit that in on screen, though. Maybe a toggle to flip between mod slots?

I'm loading some Serum wavetables into the Wave synth. Is there any easy way to get a load of them in there at once? I was doing the 'open zip file in Audioshare, then export them one by one to Files' way.

Place wavetable files into Wave folder for them to appear in GR. But remember, no subfolders supported inside the Wave folder.

I've added this into the wiki's Groove Rider article.

Please add additional tips and tricks:

https://wiki.audiob.us/groove_rider_gr-16#tips_tricks

• WTKWTK
    edited September 2019

I just wanna chime in and say that the video from Electronisound „How to make a DnB Beat“ showed me all the basics to get started with the the GR-16 because I found the manual way too cryptic for a non groovebox user.

Pure joy. Minimal talking and lots of sounds to get into the whole thing...

• @WTK said:
    I just wanna chime in and say that the video from Electronisound „How to make a DnB Beat“ showed me all the basics to get started with the the GR-16 because I found the manual way too cryptic for a non groovebox user.

If you could a link to it in the wiki article that would be great:

https://wiki.audiob.us/groove_rider_gr-16

• @espiegel123 said:

@WTK said:

It is already there. :smile:

• @WTK said:

@espiegel123 said:

@WTK said:

It is already there. :smile:

:)

• edited September 2019

Something keep you coming back to this instrument.. Is this the ultimate iOS music production solution? Can only imagine what Auv3 can do to this gem...one instance for drum, another for samples, synth,,etc.

Edit, files app support (iPadOS).. midi import... key/scale transpose..

• @RajahP said:
    Something keep you coming back to this instrument.. Is this the ultimate iOS music production solution? Can only imagine what Auv3 can do to this gem...one instance for drum, another for samples, synth,,etc.

You can already use it as a 16-channel sound module/slicer over CoreMIDI if you use it in MIDI Poly mode. The only difference is that it's not hosted as an AUv3 inside your host.

• edited September 2019

@rs2000 said:

@RajahP said:

You can already use it as a 16-channel sound module/slicer over CoreMIDI if you use it in MIDI Poly mode. The only difference is that it's not hosted as an AUv3 inside your host.

Was messing with the slicer last night.. Can you imagine having 3-4 instances of this thing running in AUM? With all the advance features (Probability,etc.) .. Jim should really turn this into an AUv3..

• edited September 2019

GR-16 so needs a AUv3 version! 100% agreed. But I'm guessing Jim is busy at work on his new creation...
    It needs midi learn for all the pads and every single thing on the GUI as well. Every single decent app should
    get a AUv3 version though, BM3 and all Korg apps would be amazing for a start.

• @KraftC said:
    GR-16 so needs a AUv3 version! 100% agreed. But I'm guessing Jim is busy at work on his new creation...
    It needs midi learn for all the pads and every single thing on the GUI as well. Every single decent app should
    get a AUv3 version though, BM3 and all Korg apps would be amazing for a start.

Wish he would pop up and say Auv3 is in the works..

• I think he has as much said that GR-16 is fully baked.

• @wim said:
    I think he has as much said that GR-16 is fully baked.

Ok...

• @RajahP said:

@wim said:

Ok...

He's busy with this

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/34910/pure-acid-by-jim-audio-this-is-the-best-news-ever/p1

• @anickt said:

@RajahP said:

@wim said:

Ok...

He's busy with this

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/34910/pure-acid-by-jim-audio-this-is-the-best-news-ever/p1

Yep, saw it.. it’s mine when launched..

Hopefully, after this, he will get to GR-16 v2.. ............for Xmas.😁

• Updated today..

• I also posted this in the Tips And Tricks Megathread:

Did anyone ever try to play different slices using midi in, for instance with Xequence 2?

It seems the slices are being assigned internally in the the GR-16 sequencer and not directly by midi note.
    So the slices can not be controlled directly just by a midi in note.

Am I correct?

• Oh, this is the megathread!