Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

(Warning: GAS thread)MC 707: After the dust settles.....

Thoughts?

Thoughts vs MPC Live and Octatrack?

I am personally starting warm up the idea of the MC 707 being part of the studio.

Octatrack is such a wonderful thought but the lack of connectivity with USB functionality and lack of upgrades of firmware make me hesitant....also paranoid of a new box from them.

Also, I hear rumblings of a Circuit "pro" is possible?

MPC Live price down ...... really like the new upgrades ......seems like a best of both worlds with a computer in a box but still not tethered to a DAW.

MC 707 may be a real world computer/DAW replacement?

What are you thinking a little bit into the MC 707 after looking and watching a few things on it?

Any real pro or cons come to mind?

Comments

• edited September 2019

@RUST( i )K said:
    Thoughts?

I am personally starting warm up the idea of the MC 707 being part of the studio.

Octatrack is such a wonderful thought but the lack of connectivity with USB functionality and lack of upgrades of firmware make me hesitant....also paranoid of a new box from them.

MPC Live price down ...... really like the new upgrades ......seems like a best of both worlds with a computer in a box but still not tethered to a DAW.

What are you thinking a little bit into the MC 707 after looking and watching a few things on it?

Octatrack now connects to iPad via USB under iOS13 for files transfer, apparently! Which is cool. Shame that it will never have Overbridge.

I GAS after the 707, but not quite enough to buy it considering that I have a bunch of boxes already and the Synthstrom Deluge does pretty much everything I could ever want at this point.

• I am starting to cool on the idea of a new MC. My instinct is that they are a bit overpriced at the moment which is Roland’s typical strategy at launch- so those that want it straight away pay top dollar. I expect the prices to be much less in the not too distant future and the secondhand market to be even lower. My instinct tells me that around £575 for the 707 and around £260 for the 101 is more or less the price I am would be looking to come in at. I can wait I think without too much fuss. I was originally taken by the ‘3000 plus’ tones - by which I thought they meant synth patches- but it refers to all available sounds, including a little tap on the congeletta. The actual synth patches number about 800.
    I was thinking about a 101, but I can now imagine myself sitting in front of the little thing prodding at its slightly unresponsive pads and bemoaning the size of the display as a large question mark floats out of my head. I have more underused equipment than I should have at the moment and one of these would probably dilute this situation even further.

• It is not either or. OT & M7 complement each other quite perfectly.

The forte of the m7 is the synth engine and the performance aspect with a little bit sample handling on top of it. It has no song mode. A song is a project with some clips and scenes that lets you jam out what you have prepared beforehand.

The layout of all the controls is big enough that you dont have to stare at the machine to operate it. Looking at it from the corner of your eyesight lets you handle it quite well.

The OT controls are more cramped, it has a very long arrangement mode and no other machine can handle samples quite like it. Its static machine mode lets you stream very long samples directly from the cf-card.
    But if you want to quickly insert a bass-synth, dreamy pad and you have a m7 to reach out for then you have a match made in heaven.
    The pads on the m7 are a bit stiff, better suited for drumming than for melodic stuff so i would consider something like a keystep for recording your non-drum-clips but it certainly is possible to develop some finger muscles.

• edited September 2019

Overpriced , digitakt&circuit combo seems more fun for the money

• I dare you to repeat your first part of your comment after you have taken a glance at the last third of the m7 manual.

• @RUST( i )K said:
    Thoughts?

Im just hoping to see a new ocatrack or true successor from Elektron by the end of the year.
    Deluge looks interesting.

• @dreamrobe said:
    I dare you to repeat your first part of your comment after you have taken a glance at the last third of the m7 manual.

Overpriced ???

• Haha, Octatrack is overpriced. It's something like 10 year old tech. Compactflash... Don't get me started. MC707 is exceptional for the price. MC101 could be $50-$100 cheaper since it's base model.

• edited September 2019

Is a saxophon overpriced? do you judge an instrument by its pice or by its tone or by how it makes you feel?

• @dreamrobe said:
    Is a saxophon overpriced? do you judge an instrument by its price or by its tone or by how it makes you feel?

There are many Saxophones , best4$ ,cheap&cheap sounding and overpriced. MC7 is overpriced ,there are many alternatives cheaper, better tone that will enjoy better. Fortunately most online stores accept returns . Just an opinion, I don't like the design at all, mc9 was way more user friendly and mc8 had at least monitorized faders (owned both)
    If MC1 was on 300$ max it would be interesting.

• @[Deleted User] said:

@RUST( i )K said:
    Thoughts?

Im just hoping to see a new ocatrack or true successor from Elektron by the end of the year.

Agree

Deluge is something I would love to get. I think.

I am at the point of wanting X to replace Y & Z.

Main things I am looking for is play loops, performance style FX operator for audio signal(4-8 audio /out- in) and some MIDI outs/ins.

—————-

The issue is the means and methods for literally making the logistic and financial actions in a way not to hinder my productivity.

I think after Daniel Troberg departed something has changed.

I have heard some say that him leaving Elektron is akin to Steve Jobs leaving Apple as for what innovation or there lack of proceeded his exit.

Model Samples is a cool little box. Yes. I have it.

Does it feel anything like the Digitakt, Digitone, or Octatrack I briefly owned?

Nope.

Do I get nervous with the buttons or knobs on it?

Yes.

Do I feel that the filter itself and overall audio output sound quality itself are less than awesome.

Unfortunately.

Which brings me back to I am not sure what the future of Elektron INNOVATION will be.

The Digitone....w a keyboard was not a new product for my sensibilities.

Here is what I think is an issue with music making hardware.

Secrecy to the point people cannot plan.

Unlike cars and many other items the product is introduced way prior to release. Why? So people can spend, save, and live accordingly.

The gear for most companies any more is so top secret reliant instead on impulse purchases and flooding the zone with social media and YouPube pap.

It almost feels like some companies are more afraid of constructive criticism publicly on an item then ever being confident in a product and its launch.

Too many times quality companies and products come off as gimmicky due to the means by which they launch the product in that “SURPRISE!!!!”means.

I love a good unexpected zipper ripper ..........

GAS for many people is sort of in remission for many these days. Replaced by more a FOMO........

Of course I am bitching....I don’t have the time and money to have everything I want like a brat.

😉

I also kind of wonder what is up with the Akai Force and if any other new things will hit prior to Xmas.

• The more I use the 707 the more impressed I get with the workflow, it's really quick for capturing ideas and letting you easily shape your sounds to fit. At this point I'm more or less ignoring the sample and looepr aspects, they're nice but the drum sounds it comes with are already good and varied, and the synth aspect is better than pretty much any other groovebox out there (unless you count Maschine in that group). Plus I just spent way too long recording and editing samples for my OP-Z last month, and I'm a bit fried on sample prep :)

I don't really get the people saying that the 707 is overpriced, the synth engine alone is is worth that IMVHO. 128 voice poly synth that does VA, supersaw, PCM, and a lot more with enough depth to keep even heavy tweakers happy. Plus all the different effects you can use, and so many of them at once. You get an effect per synth patch, an EQ per track, a global EQ, a global multiband compressor, a multiband drum compressor, a top notch master reverb and delay/chorus, there's nothing else like it out right now.

I'm hearing rumors from little birds that there's more OS updates coming very soon too, so it sounds like Roland really has more planned for this one.

• edited September 2019

Well fwiw, it’s pretty much out of stock everywhere until mid to late October. If this thing gets Sample Slice to Pads it will be exactly what i want. In the meantime, I’ll just keep learning to sample and edit on iOS until this happens.

I find it weird that a single Sample/Loop would take up and entire instrument slot instead of just a pad.

Just seems like an obvious miss since they already have a drum machine which is a sample per pad. Go figure. I’m sure it will be in an update since the paradigm is already present on the box.

• @Tarekith said:
    The more I use the 707 the more impressed I get with the workflow, it's really quick for capturing ideas and letting you easily shape your sounds to fit. At this point I'm more or less ignoring the sample and looepr aspects, they're nice but the drum sounds it comes with are already good and varied, and the synth aspect is better than pretty much any other groovebox out there (unless you count Maschine in that group). Plus I just spent way too long recording and editing samples for my OP-Z last month, and I'm a bit fried on sample prep :)

I don't really get the people saying that the 707 is overpriced, the synth engine alone is is worth that IMVHO. 128 voice poly synth that does VA, supersaw, PCM, and a lot more with enough depth to keep even heavy tweakers happy. Plus all the different effects you can use, and so many of them at once. You get an effect per synth patch, an EQ per track, a global EQ, a global multiband compressor, a multiband drum compressor, a top notch master reverb and delay/chorus, there's nothing else like it out right now.

I'm hearing rumors from little birds that there's more OS updates coming very soon too, so it sounds like Roland really has more planned for this one.

I agree with all of the above

• Every time @Tarekith posts about it, I want it more. 😂

• Bro you make a boatload of threads like these. Do you have a major music gear store near you?
    Go get your hands dirty. I think after a while doing so much online research gets counter productive. Sometimes you just need to buy something to try out and dive right in.

Lol anyways my thoughts are I’m grabbing an MPC live myself or ableton push2... probably both eventually. They seem to do the most with the least quirky workflow. The 707 had my attention for a minute. But I know I’m a MPC guy from the past.
    But everyone is different that’s why you just have to try stuff and see what works

• @Tarekith said:
    The more I use the 707 the more impressed I get with the workflow, it's really quick for capturing ideas and letting you easily shape your sounds to fit. At this point I'm more or less ignoring the sample and looepr aspects, they're nice but the drum sounds it comes with are already good and varied, and the synth aspect is better than pretty much any other groovebox out there (unless you count Maschine in that group). Plus I just spent way too long recording and editing samples for my OP-Z last month, and I'm a bit fried on sample prep :)

You twisted my arm.

I will get one......

LOL

I agree. Most kicks I use are 808s with fx/909 w/ fx.

Tell me about the fx?

Tell me about say running a pad or drone loop that is 2 bars long and if it works while jamming?

I do value your post. FOR SURE

New video on it soon?

• @auxmux said:
    Every time @Tarekith posts about it, I want it more. 😂

Asshole is gonna cost me another $1000 dollars......

• @Korakios said:

@dreamrobe said:
    Is a saxophon overpriced? do you judge an instrument by its price or by its tone or by how it makes you feel?

There are many Saxophones , best4$ ,cheap&cheap sounding and overpriced. MC7 is overpriced ,there are many alternatives cheaper, better tone that will enjoy better. Fortunately most online stores accept returns . Just an opinion, I don't like the design at all, mc9 was way more user friendly and mc8 had at least monitorized faders (owned both)
    If MC1 was on 300$ max it would be interesting.

I have them both but would like a mini brain center where I can have a place to launch a hi hat loop in one hit while syncing those and then get jamming you know?

The Digitone and Digitakt are amazing except for live. The mute features are odd and copy/save is problem prone for a huge fuck up for a slight miss press.

I would love to consolidate control while adding some loop play and new analog sounding parts to my music.

I think the the 2 DIGI boxes will make great companions for the 707?

Over priced?

Are there 3 or 4 total boxes that do loops and other things regarding midi and audio?? I think it is a fair price.

I mean compared to what else is out there.

The Roland price actually probably helped lower the price on the MPC Live.

Which I would love a side by side done with the 707.

• I was hoping to see what those 64 buttons on the Akai Force could do to a connected iPad.
    Can an iPad app trigged sampled audio on the Force? I read something about moving Force projects
    into/out of Ableton. Anyway... probably another Forum to see it discussed as a device but not as an adjunct to an iPad. I was hoping that might get a fair hearing here.

• @McD said:
    I was hoping to see what those 64 buttons on the Akai Force could do to a connected iPad.
    Can an iPad app trigged sampled audio on the Force? I read something about moving Force projects
    into/out of Ableton. Anyway... probably another Forum to see it discussed as a device but not as an adjunct to an iPad. I was hoping that might get a fair hearing here.

Agree.

I would love to see more on the Force in that regard.

• edited September 2019

@McD said:
    I was hoping to see what those 64 buttons on the Akai Force could do to a connected iPad.

See this?

SEE 5:10 for Ableton question

• @RUST( i )K said:

@[Deleted User] said:

@RUST( i )K said:
    Thoughts?

Agree

Deluge is something I would love to get. I think.

I am at the point of wanting X to replace Y & Z.

Main things I am looking for is play loops, performance style FX operator for audio signal(4-8 audio /out- in) and some MIDI outs/ins.

—————-

The issue is the means and methods for literally making the logistic and financial actions in a way not to hinder my productivity.

I think after Daniel Troberg departed something has changed.

I have heard some say that him leaving Elektron is akin to Steve Jobs leaving Apple as for what innovation or there lack of proceeded his exit.

Model Samples is a cool little box. Yes. I have it.

Does it feel anything like the Digitakt, Digitone, or Octatrack I briefly owned?

Nope.

Do I get nervous with the buttons or knobs on it?

Yes.

Do I feel that the filter itself and overall audio output sound quality itself are less than awesome.

Unfortunately.

Which brings me back to I am not sure what the future of Elektron INNOVATION will be.

The Digitone....w a keyboard was not a new product for my sensibilities.

Here is what I think is an issue with music making hardware.

Secrecy to the point people cannot plan.

Unlike cars and many other items the product is introduced way prior to release. Why? So people can spend, save, and live accordingly.

The gear for most companies any more is so top secret reliant instead on impulse purchases and flooding the zone with social media and YouPube pap.

It almost feels like some companies are more afraid of constructive criticism publicly on an item then ever being confident in a product and its launch.

Too many times quality companies and products come off as gimmicky due to the means by which they launch the product in that “SURPRISE!!!!”means.

I love a good unexpected zipper ripper ..........

GAS for many people is sort of in remission for many these days. Replaced by more a FOMO........

Of course I am bitching....I don’t have the time and money to have everything I want like a brat.

😉

I also kind of wonder what is up with the Akai Force and if any other new things will hit prior to Xmas.

Yes I’m interested what influence Daniel Troberg had, im not sure if he actually had any software programming input. Also im not sure which dude left elektron for TE and if he also helped with the software development of the OT.

• @auxmux said:
    Every time @Tarekith posts about it, I want it more. 😂

I know huh, haha me too... I wish you were an mp dude as well T as your thoughts on the mpc live would probably be interesting... I think you could almost say the same thing you said above about the mc707 in regards to synths, fx, mixing capabilities

• I just can't get into the MPC stuff lately, the UI just looks weird to me and not like something I want to stare at a lot. It's a personal thing, I know. :smile:

Not sure what you mean about running a pad or drone loop, you mean just a sample on one of the synth tones, or the looper?

I'll do another video soon, maybe in the next couple of weeks. I want to have something solid prepared to show off the sounds and the live capabilities, but that takes time.

• @Tarekith said:
    I just can't get into the MPC stuff lately, the UI just looks weird to me and not like something I want to stare at a lot. It's a personal thing, I know. :smile:

Not sure what you mean about running a pad or drone loop, you mean just a sample on one of the synth tones, or the looper?

I'll do another video soon, maybe in the next couple of weeks. I want to have something solid prepared to show off the sounds and the live capabilities, but that takes time.

You don't use an Octatrack? Right?
    You use Machine and Ableton?

Can you run audio through the MCC 707 and apply more than 1 Fx to incoming audio signal?

Have you paired the MC with Mac or iPad for USB action and how connectivity functions?

Thanks brother!

• Thanks for the warning in the thread title.
    Owning an Octatrack I thought this won't be interesting for me, but the first user reactions (e.g. @Tarekith ;)) hit my attention.
    Have to wait till the price goes down (looking at the TR8s prices I bet it will) and till they add a slicing feature.

How tedious is the synth editing?

• edited October 2019

The Octatrack has been my main live tool for many years now actually, most of my recent live performances have been done using just one OT. I have a bunch of vids in YouTube if you're curious of it in action. The 707 is NOT a sampler, and has very little, if any, overlap with the OT though. If you work a lot with samples, the 707 is probably not the best choice given how basic it's sample support is.

I haven't paired anything with the 707 except for testing my guitar processor for live looping guitar on top of things. My goal with the 707 is to only use it by itself right now, so I really haven't even bothered trying anything else. Easy enough to do though, it's no different than controlling any other kind of midi synth at that point.

• @JoHe said:
    Thanks for the warning in the thread title.
    Owning an Octatrack I thought this won't be interesting for me, but the first user reactions (e.g. @Tarekith ;)) hit my attention.
    Have to wait till the price goes down (looking at the TR8s prices I bet it will) and till they add a slicing feature.

How tedious is the synth editing?

@Tarekith said:
    The Octatrack has been my main live tool for many years now actually, most of my recent live performances have been done using just one OT. I have a bunch of vids in YouTube if you're curious of it in action. The 707 is NOT a sampler, and has very little, if any, overlap with the OT though. If you work a lot with samples, the 707 is probably not the best choice given how basic it's sample support is.

I haven't paired anything with the 707 except for testing my guitar processor for live looping guitar on top of things. My goal with the 707 is to only use it by itself right now, so I really haven't even bothered trying anything else. Easy enough to do though, it's no different than controlling any other kind of midi synth at that point.

Thanks and makes sense