Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

NanoKEY Studio iOS 13

A few weeks ago Korg announced that the Bluetooth capabilities for the nanoKEY and nanoKONTROL devices was broken under iOS 13.

https://www.korg.com/us/news/2019/0911/

Has there been any news on that?

Comments

• Works fine under iPadOS (iPad 9.7 Wifi 2017). I didn't run any extensive test, but I had a quick Gadget session last night with no problems.

The only issue that I found was when I connected my nanoKEY Studio to a powerbank (power switch moved to USB mode) and turned on wireless.

It connected fine at first, but when I accidentally disconnected my powerbank and reconnected it again, wireless wouldn't turn on so I had to move nanoKEY Studio's power switch to standby and back to USB to be able to turn on wireless again.

That probably has nothing to do with iPadOS, though, because as soon as wireless was on nanoKEY Studio was detected and connected via bluetooth.

• Thank you! Strange that Korg wouldn’t put out an update, at least as far as I can see.

• It could be there are still some issues left that I didn't run into.

• edited September 2019

I just talked to a friend about this. He bought a new iPad 9.7 Wifi 2018 yesterday and it can't connect to nanoKEY Studio via bluetooth.

On his old iPad 9.7 Wifi 2017, the connection worked, but when he removed the nanoKEY from bluetooth devices he couldn't connect anymore.

Both iPads are updated to the latest OS.

• So, better not sound the all clear just yet. Thank you for following up on this.

• Yes, it's safer to wait for the official update on this from Korg.

• The Nanokey Studio does neither connect to my iPhone 6s nor to my iPad Air II. Both devices are on 13.1.1

• No issues at all connecting nanoKey Studio (Firmware 1.0.7) to my iPhone 8(iOS13.1.1) or iPad Air 2(iOS13.1.1).
    My be forth to factory reset the nanoKey Studio just in case?!

Sorry for those who have problems, but since mine just works I can not do any further troubleshooting...

• I tried the following:

-Factory reset
    -Set Firmware back to 1.06
    -Reload Firmware 1.07
    -renaming the device

Nothing helped connecting it.

• Does anyone recall the handle of the Korg employee that used to comment here? He or she might have an idea.

• wimwim
    edited September 2019

NanoKEY Studio working fine here with iPhone 7and iOS 13.1. Since @samu is OK on the Air 2, I might try updating mine today.

@ioue is our friend from Korg here. 😎

• @EastFrisian said:
    I tried the following:

-Factory reset
    -Set Firmware back to 1.06
    -Reload Firmware 1.07
    -renaming the device

Nothing helped connecting it.

Exactly the same here. Pro 2 12.9 and XS Max, iOS 13.1.1 stock. Works fine with 12.4, so I’m assuming KORG will need to issue a revised firmware, or iOS 13 will need to be patched.

• wimwim
    edited September 2019

Been thinking about this one. It’s odd that it works OK for some and not for others. Mine works fine. Firmware is the same as other people’s, so why the inconsistency? It could be due to a component change in the hardware itself. We like to think of hardware as being exactly the same over time because it looks and works the same. However, companies sometimes switch out components for different ones over time, to save cost, because one becomes unavailable, because of switching suppliers, etc. They also refine hardware designs. These kind of changes can introduce small timing, voltage, or other differences that can have unexpected effects. A software fix of some kind (either on Korg’s side or Apple’s) should resolve it, but these things can be hard to run down and time consuming to fix.

It could be related to the date of manufacture of the device. Mine has a serial number of 001265, which I assume is early in production. Maybe the problem is related to later models.

Useless info as regards changing the situation, but thought I’d share the info to make myself look smart. :D

• @wim said:
    Been thinking about this one. It’s odd that it works OK for some and not for others. Mine works fine. Firmware is the same as other people’s, so why the inconsistency. It could well be due to a component change in the hardware itself. We like to think of hardware as being exactly the same over time because it looks and works the same. However, companies sometimes switch out components for different ones over time, to save cost, because one becomes unavailable, because of switching suppliers, etc. They also refine hardware designs.

It could be related to the date of manufacture of the device. Mine has a serial number of 001265, which I assume is early in production. Maybe the problem is related to later models.

Useless info as regards changing the situation, but thought I’d share the info to make myself look smart. :D

Interesting. My serial is 015992, not working via Bluetooth.

• How ‘bout your serial #, @samu?
    I’m trying to decide whether or not to update my Air 2, and trying to think if it’s just a random thing or if maybe my hunch about earlier vs. later production might be right.

• My serial is 005924 - Not working

• I wonder if it only works with devices that already have paired with it pre upgrade ?

• @wim said:
    How ‘bout your serial #, @samu?

• Last one with it connected...

• edited September 2019

Have y’all tried installing Korg’s Bluetooth Midi app? I’ve got it installed on my 10.5 Pro (iPad OS 13.1.1) along with Gadget, and Gadget actually asked me if I wanted to use it to connect. And, it works here just fine. May be worth a try.🙏🏾

And, my NanoKey Studio serial is 000953

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/bluetooth-midi-connect/id1108321791

• @thatguysmitty said:
    Have y’all tried installing Kong’s Bluetooth Midi app? I’ve got it installed on my 10.5 Pro (iPad OS 13.1.1) along with Gadget, and Gadget actually asked me if I wanted to use it to connect. And, it works here just fine. May be worth a try.🙏🏾

And, my NanoKey Studio serial is 000953

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/bluetooth-midi-connect/id1108321791

I wondered about that too, but the people having problems are having it with the BLE Midi app as well.

• wimwim
    edited September 2019

Thanks for the serial number @samu and @thatguysmitty . If more people weigh in and it seems to be an early vs. late production kinda thing, I may take the trouble to suggest that over on the Korg forums. I’m not gonna sign up for yet another forum if not though.

I know that at my previous company data like this helped us tremendously with narrowing down problems we couldn’t readily reproduce.

• @wim said:
    NanoKEY Studio working fine here with iPhone 7and iOS 13.1. Since @samu is OK on the Air 2, I might try updating mine today.

@ioue is our friend from Korg here. 😎

Dankeschön! @ioue could you perhaps give an update on this?

• Serial no. 000380 here, not showing up on iPhone SE in Settings but shows as “connected” in BLE-MIDI app. When opening any Korg app I’m prompted to connect to the nanoKey Studio via Bluetooth, but when I attempt connection it fails and is no longer recognized in the BLE-MIDI app, and usually the synth apps freeze.

My iPad mini 5 connects with no issues whatsoever.

Both are on iOS 13.1.1 and had been connected to the nanoKey Studio prior to updating from iOS 12.

The only logic I can see here is that the nanoKey Studio was connected more recently to my iPad mini 5 prior to the update, so maybe that’s why the iPhone SE doesn’t see it in Settings...but why does the BLE-MIDI app see it and show it as connected?!?

• edited September 2019

I had no problem connecting with my iPhone 8 running iOS13.1.1 and my nanoKEY Studio has never been connected to it before.

In order to successfully par BT Midi a host app is needed, this is where for example the Korg app comes into play. If it shows up as connected in the Korg app all is good.

While midi BT stuff shows up under Settings->Bluetooth it can NOT be paired there. A ‘host app’ is needed, some apps include built-in Bluetooth support to do the pairing after which it can be used with all core midi apps.

• @3sleeves said:
    Serial no. 000380 here, not showing up on iPhone SE in Settings but shows as “connected” in BLE-MIDI app. When opening any Korg app I’m prompted to connect to the nanoKey Studio via Bluetooth, but when I attempt connection it fails and is no longer recognized in the BLE-MIDI app, and usually the synth apps freeze.

My iPad mini 5 connects with no issues whatsoever.

Both are on iOS 13.1.1 and had been connected to the nanoKey Studio prior to updating from iOS 12.

The only logic I can see here is that the nanoKey Studio was connected more recently to my iPad mini 5 prior to the update, so maybe that’s why the iPhone SE doesn’t see it in Settings...but why does the BLE-MIDI app see it and show it as connected?!?

Thanks for the data! I guess I won’t be updating then. Unless ... can you connect via USB consistently by chance?

• @Samu said:
    Worth to note is that BT Midi stuff does NOT usually show up under Settings>Bluetooth and trying to pair there will fail.

I had no problem connecting with my iPhone 8 running iOS13.1.1 and my nanoKEY Studio has never been connected to it before.

In order to successfully par BT Midi a host app is needed, this is where for example the Korg app comes into play. If it shows up as connected in the Korg app all is good.

My Sensel Morph has to connect through Settings first, otherwise it doesn’t show up in BLE-MIDI, same when I use other iPhones as Bluetooth MIDI controllers for the iPad.

Every time I’ve attempted to bypass the Settings app and then I actually see the nanoKey Studio as connected in BLE-MIDI it either freezes the app I’m attempting to control or crashes BLE-MIDI. This only happens on my iPhone SE though, not the iPad mini 5.

On the mini, if a device is connected in BLE-MIDI, it doesn’t always connect to the apps I’m attempting to control. Typically I’ll have to connect the device in Settings in that case.

The complications I’m experiencing could be due to the fact that I may use the same controllers on 5 different iOS devices in a given week, so connecting to the right device often requires me to send a new pairing request.

• @wim USB connection works with a battery pack and the USB3 CCK on my iPhone SE even though the Bluetooth connectivity is lost.

• Every big iOS update become each year more scary. That’s not cool. I suppose Korg is doing its best about this issue, I can’t see them sell those products anymore if it’s not fixed. Very uncomfortable situation for us and also them.