Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Novation Launchkey Mini Mk3

Comments

• edited September 2019

@echoopera said:

@supadom said:
    I'm getting mine today. It would be interesting to see what kind of messages all of the shift actions trigger.

Where did you order it from. Not seeing availability until mid to late October state side. 🤨

Got mine today, ordered last week.

I have to say that I’m a bit disappointed with it and more than likely will be sending it back. I’ve already known the potential issues but wanted to experience them first hand to see if I can live with them.

First of all the dreaded power issue. It won’t power off the iPad (knew that already) and tbh carrying the power bank and cck3 with me in the bag is not an option. Cables/dongles/power banks etc. They will likely update the firmware with low power mode (dimmer leds) but not at this stage.

Secondly the pads are small (again that was to be expected) for playing percussively without worrying about hitting them right. Could just be my pref though.

Thirdly, the keys are clunky and plasticky. Way behind Arturia’s mini lab mk2 and at about the same level like mpk but less mushy. In fact I personally prefer akai tbh but that’s probably because I’m used to them. Having said all this the keys on many boutique offerings from Yamaha, Roland etc. are as plasticky so maybe that’s the norm. On the whole they suck...other than mini lab 2.

Fourthly, I’m not sure what’s happened but when I checked the online manual it’s said 330mm across which means it would fit into my briefcase alongside other controllers. Well it does fit but I actually need to jam it in. I guess this point doesn’t count for everyone else.

Fifthly (is that a word?) it failed to work in straight midi mode aka 5 pin via dongle. The dongle isn’t included but I have one from circuit and one from beatstep. Neither worked but I’ve only spent 5 minutes trying to get it going so maybe there is something I have to do other than direct the software, plug and play.

The knobs are great and the slider strips feel ok. The arp works well unlike the one on the mpk mini that is a bit drunk.

If I was an Ableton Live user I’d probably keep it but as an exclusively iPad user I’m happier with mpk mini with changing channels on the fly, bigger pads, program change and mushy keys. I know many hate it so they will quite likely love launchkey while I keep plodding along with old tech. ;)

More impressions later when I’ve had a chance to give it a better run through.

• Have you used it with GrooveBox on iPad yet. This is where the magic connection is.

• @supadom said:

@echoopera said:

@supadom said:
    I'm getting mine today. It would be interesting to see what kind of messages all of the shift actions trigger.

Where did you order it from. Not seeing availability until mid to late October state side. 🤨

Got mine today, ordered last week.

I have to say that I’m a bit disappointed with it and more than likely will be sending it back. I’ve already known the potential issues but wanted to experience them first hand to see if I can live with them.

First of all the dreaded power issue. It won’t power off the iPad (knew that already) and tbh carrying the power bank and cck3 with me in the bag is not an option. Cables/dongles/power banks etc. They will likely update the firmware with low power mode (dimmer leds) but not at this stage.

Secondly the pads are small (again that was to be expected) for playing percussively without worrying about hitting them right. Could just be my pref though.

Thirdly, the keys are clunky and plasticky. Way behind Arturia’s mini lab mk2 and at about the same level like mpk but less mushy. In fact I personally prefer akai tbh but that’s probably because I’m used to them. Having said all this the keys on many boutique offerings from Yamaha, Roland etc. are as plasticky so maybe that’s the norm. On the whole they suck...other than mini lab 2.

Fourthly, I’m not sure what’s happened but when I checked the online manual it’s said 330mm across which means it would fit into my briefcase alongside other controllers. Well it does fit but I actually need to jam it in. I guess this point doesn’t count for everyone else.

Fifthly (is that a word?) it failed to work in straight midi mode aka 5 pin via dongle. The dongle isn’t included but I have one from circuit and one from beatstep. Neither worked but I’ve only spent 5 minutes trying to get it going so maybe there is something I have to do other than direct the software, plug and play.

The knobs are great and the slider strips feel ok. The arp works well unlike the one on the mpk mini that is a bit drunk.

If I was an Ableton Live user I’d probably keep it but as an exclusively iPad user I’m happier with mpk mini with changing channels on the fly, bigger pads, program change and mushy keys. I know many hate it so they will quite likely love launchkey while I keep plodding along with old tech. ;)

thanks for the intel!! Fifthly is awfully close to filthy.

• The midi mini standard has only been recently agreed upon. AFAIK this one follows that now, unfortunate side effect is that many older dongles won’t work here. It’s all a bit confusing!

I’m waiting on a notification to order one, Ableton integration looks great on this and I’m using Groovebox a lot lately.

• edited September 2019

@supadom said:

I'm sure that in one of the vids I've watched it says it needs a Type A DIN to TRS, like the ones for Korg.

Yeah, it’s in this one...

• @AndyPlankton said:

@supadom said:

I'm sure that in one of the vids I've watched it says it needs a Type A DIN to TRS, like the ones for Korg.

I have two trs to din dongles, one from Arturia and one from Novation. If this uses yet another dongle I struggle to see what cable configuration it uses since we’re talking of a grand total of 3 cables one of which being sleeve/ground.

• edited September 2019

@supadom said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@supadom said:

I have two trs to din dongles, one from Arturia and one from Novation. If this uses yet another dongle I struggle to see what cable configuration it uses since we’re talking of a grand total of 3 cables one of which being sleeve/ground.

Looks like you may have lucked out, according to this the Arturia and Novation ones are the same

Looks like there may be 2 variants for Beatstep Pro...this is the full article I'm getting this info from
    https://www.midi.org/articles-old/updated-how-to-make-your-own-3-5mm-mini-stereo-trs-to-midi-5-pin-din-cables

• edited September 2019

@AndyPlankton the weird thing is that the arturia one doesn't work for me to send clock sync from circuit to another drum machine. This is why assumed they were both different types.

Ah well, the dongles make the world go around.

I'll ask novation if they have any plans for the low power mode.

BTW. These are so easy to solder up from scratch. Unfortunately these dongles are all sealed so having a DIY might be the ticket for swapping around cables when needed.

• edited September 2019

@supadom said:
    @AndyPlankton the weird thing is that the arturia one doesn't work for me to send clock sync from circuit to another drum machine. This is why assumed they were both different types.

Ah well, the dongles make the world go around.

I'll ask novation if they have any plans for the low power mode.

BTW. These are so easy to solder up from scratch. Unfortunately these dongles are all sealed so having a DIY might be the ticket for swapping around cables when needed.

Yeah, I made my own converting TRS to TRS for connecting Circuit to Electribe , I figured out how to wire them up from that article :)

• @AndyPlankton said:

@supadom said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@supadom said:

Looks like you may have lucked out, according to this the Arturia and Novation ones are the same

Looks like there may be 2 variants for Beatstep Pro...this is the full article I'm getting this info from
    https://www.midi.org/articles-old/updated-how-to-make-your-own-3-5mm-mini-stereo-trs-to-midi-5-pin-din-cables

It’s weird Keystep is on that list since it has full size din midi connectors.

• To make things even weirder I've just noticed that arturia beatstep one is 1/8inch Mono so not trs. That explains why sync wasn't working. Off to hardware store to get all the bits.

• edited September 2019

@supadom said:

sorry a bit off Topic here ...question directed towards @supadom or anyone else that knows

When you say "changing channels on the fly", how do you change channels on the mpk mini mk2? I thought you had to change them in the PC software. I'd love to be able to change channels on the keyboard but haven't figured that out. I know I can use program 4 and that makes the pads ch10 but keyboard stays at ch1

I check the online manual. And that page they talk about it gives me a 404error.

• edited September 2019

@cuezaireekaa said:

@supadom said:

sorry a bit off Topic here ...question directed towards @supadom or anyone else that knows

When you say "changing channels on the fly", how do you change channels on the mpk mini mk2? I thought you had to change them in the PC software. I'd love to be able to change channels on the keyboard but haven't figured that out. I know I can use program 4 and that makes the pads ch10 but keyboard stays at ch1

I check the online manual. And that page they talk about it gives me a 404error.

You can assign pads to any channel and the same goes for the keyboard and knobs. The midi channel selector for the keyboard is just under the knobs area in the mpk mini mk1 editor. Of course you can only change 4 programs on the fly.

I'm not sure if it is the same for Mk 2 but I'd be surprised if it wasn't.

• Yeah it’s the same on the mk2 ~ 4 scenes which you can configure from the editor.

• Sweet guys thank you. Guess I'll pull out the ol i3 laptop and check it out. Probably gonna get sidetracked with vsts now.. hehe
    I ended up trading my all black midilab for allblack akai mk2 and I like it better. I like the ARP and it's smaller for travel. Plus the midilabs encoders would adjust inside my iOS apps all glitchy and weird when turning them very slowly. Doesn't happen on akai. This has happened before on a midilab white mk2 but I thought I had a bad apple. Guess they all act like that

• @cuezaireekaa said:
    Sweet guys thank you. Guess I'll pull out the ol i3 laptop and check it out. Probably gonna get sidetracked with vsts now.. hehe
    I ended up trading my all black midilab for allblack akai mk2 and I like it better. I like the ARP and it's smaller for travel. Plus the midilabs encoders would adjust inside my iOS apps all glitchy and weird when turning them very slowly. Doesn't happen on akai. This has happened before on a midilab white mk2 but I thought I had a bad apple. Guess they all act like that

Yeah, I'm glad I'm not the only one disliking those encoders. The keyboard is nice but on the whole for portability mpk works better for me. Accidentally yesterday some keys on mine stopped working and it seems like a firmware issue. That's after many years of use and abuse so I don't mind.

• edited September 2019

@supadom said:

@cuezaireekaa said:

@supadom said:

You can assign pads to any channel and the same goes for the keyboard and knobs. The midi channel selector for the keyboard is just under the knobs area in the mpk mini mk1 editor. Of course you can only change 4 programs on the fly.

Plus point for the Launchkey..with this MK III, you can change MIDI channel for the keys on the fly.... Shift + Transpose brings up channel selection on the pads :) Super useful !

• edited September 2019

@AndyPlankton said:

@supadom said:

@cuezaireekaa said:

@supadom said:

Plus point for the Launchkey..with this MK III, you can change MIDI channel for the keys on the fly.... Shift + Transpose brings up channel selection on the pads :) Super useful !

Good research sir. I've just ordered a USB B to two USB type A male which should in theory let me power the beast while using USB midi (bi directional) opposed to din. It would be a pitty to lose the arp function not having midi ticks going back into the launchkey.

• Good news. Launchkey mk3 works using a usb type B to 2x usb type A splitter allowing to connect a power bank to the system while using usb midi.

This is likely also possible by simply connecting a bank to a passive hub via A male to A male cable but if hub doesn’t have enough inputs the above method works fine.

• Just tried the power bank into hub method and it didn’t work. It might be an iffy cable though.

In the first scenario the system doesn’t pull any power from the iPad which is great news.

• @supadom said:
    Just tried the power bank into hub method and it didn’t work. It might be an iffy cable though.

In the first scenario the system doesn’t pull any power from the iPad which is great news.

Looking good :)

• @supadom said:
    Just tried the power bank into hub method and it didn’t work. It might be an iffy cable though.

Did you decide to keep it in the end?

• Just picked mine up today and i love it.

Love the Arp and Chord modes on this little gem:

• wimwim
    edited October 2019

Can anyone tell if you can change the output channel on-board? Not being able to change channels from the unit is my biggest gripe with the NanoKEY Studio.

I’d love to see a 49 key version of this.

• edited October 2019

@wim said:
    Can anyone tell if you can change the output channel on-board? Not being able to change channels from the unit is my biggest gripe with the NanoKEY Studio.

Shift+Transpose buttons allow you to change Midi Channels 1-16

I predict that these features will show up in a revamped 25 and 49 set of 🎹 at some point 🤔

• @echoopera said:

@wim said:

Shift+Transpose buttons allow you to change Midi Channels 1-16

Nice! Thanks.

• Yeah I like it too! Just wish the keys had a little bit more throw.great backpack kB fursure

• Trying to use mk3 with groovebox keeps force closing GB. If I unplug the controller, groovebox stays open.. once I plug back in it fcloses. Even tried it with a new session

• edited October 2019

@cuezaireekaa said:
    Trying to use mk3 with groovebox keeps force closing GB. If I unplug the controller, groovebox stays open.. once I plug back in it fcloses. Even tried it with a new session

Weird. Are you on iPadOS or ios13? Worked great for me today on iPadOS

• @echoopera said:

@cuezaireekaa said:
    Trying to use mk3 with groovebox keeps force closing GB. If I unplug the controller, groovebox stays open.. once I plug back in it fcloses. Even tried it with a new session

Weird. Are you on iPadOS or ios13? Worked great for me today on iPadOS

No I haven’t updated yet. Waiting a bit. Still on 12.4.1. Could be why since groovebox updated recently