Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

cykle | advanced pattern sequencer now live

Comments

• Can it sequence CCs independently of note on/off messages?> @auxmux said:

@ElectroHead said:
    Can it sequence CCs independently of note on/off messages?

Yes, it can, which is brilliant! Different lengths and speed result in more variable results.

Great. Thanks for the info.

• @DCJ said:
    Does anyone know how to delete a lane?

Swipe left 😌

• What a brilliant app. So simple to use but so many features.

• @cuezaireekaa said:

@DCJ said:
    Does anyone know how to delete a lane?

Swipe left 😌

Son of a... I kept swiping left with the lane expanded like a dum dum. Only works when it is collapsed which makes sense.

• I’m struggling to work this app out. Is there a manual anywhere?

• Is there a way to make the pitch lane more intuitive to work with? Don’t know if it’s user error on my end but it seems like: adding steps always adds the root note, and there is no way to remove a note without first entering a new note.

Otherwise the app seems great so far!

• @ohwell said:
    Is there a way to make the pitch lane more intuitive to work with? Don’t know if it’s user error on my end but it seems like: adding steps always adds the root note, and there is no way to remove a note without first entering a new note.

Yes, root note is added by default to each new step. To remove a note, use rest lane.

• @audio_DT said:
    I’m struggling to work this app out. Is there a manual anywhere?

Yes please. Was hoping for The Illustrated Idiots Guide, but I'd take a basic how-to connection snapshot at this point :)

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@audio_DT said:

Yes please. Was hoping for The Illustrated Idiots Guide, but I'd take a basic how-to connection snapshot at this point :)

Plus one. Any possibility to share presets to get started?

• @Keebo said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@audio_DT said:

There are presets if you runit in AUM and use the auv3 window/preset option. I think there are like 10 or so

• @cuezaireekaa said:

@Keebo said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@audio_DT said:

There are presets if you runit in AUM and use the auv3 window/preset option. I think there are like 10 or so

Thank you so much.

• Yeah this is great, if you like Thesys you'll like this. Finding it very easy and intuitive to pick up :)

• @Carnbot said:
    Yeah this is great, if you like Thesys you'll like this. Finding it very easy and intuitive to pick up :)

I just wish it was as easy to connect to a synth or whatever as Thesys is....

• edited September 2019

Just put up a jam with cykle. Part 1 shows it sequencing Ripplemaker. I'm also routing it output into Rozeta Arp which is sequencing a bass sound in KQ Dixie. I'm also modulating JAF filter that sits on top of Ripplemaker with cykle.

Part 2 is everything layered together.

Cykle is great for discovering sequences vs active step sequencing through StepBud or Thesys.

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@Carnbot said:
    Yeah this is great, if you like Thesys you'll like this. Finding it very easy and intuitive to pick up :)

I just wish it was as easy to connect to a synth or whatever as Thesys is....

I actually find it easier. Where are you getting tripped up? Message me if you prefer.

• Just want to check again... does anyone else notice that cykle does not start on the first step after the transport is reset in AUM. Same issue in Cubasis as well. Will happily report it directly to the dev but I feel that something like this would have been caught in the beta.

• @DCJ said:
    Just want to check again... does anyone else notice that cykle does not start on the first step after the transport is reset in AUM. Same issue in Cubasis as well. Will happily report it directly to the dev but I feel that something like this would have been caught in the beta.

I am getting the same thing in AUM.
    I set up a simple four note ascending sequence, and it consistently starts on step 2.

• Out of sync. It starts in step 2 as said before. I wonder what have they test in beta😂

• Yes starts on step 2 which is a bug....

@JohnnyGoodyear in AUM one way is to press the burger menu next to an AU synth and select cykle as source, same as Thesys...or use the matrix and connect Cykle to your synth... :)

• edited September 2019

Does Cykle slave to external midi clock? External transport (MMC)?

• Also, scale state saving bug @cp3 🙏

• @JohnnyGoodyear in AUM one way is to press the burger menu next to an AU synth and select cykle as source, same as Thesys...or use the matrix and connect Cykle to your synth... :)

I will try again. To be honest I never really know/understand what the hell I'm doing, but blind luck and button pushing usually see me through. I appreciate the patience of both you and @gusgranite. I will return to the coalface and look at the matrix thingie which I never do. Until now :)

• edited September 2019

So now I’m on the hunt for CCs for all the synths I own. :) Animoog conveniently displays them. What about other synths? I seem to recall that Modstep displayed CC values for automation of Auv synths. I guess I’ll start mining manuals but iOS devs don’t seem to publish CCs as consistently as VST developers and hardware manufacturers.

Any ideas?

• thanks for the nice words, everyone!

apologies to the people who are struggling to understand the app, I realize it's probably a bit peculiar at first. I'm working on a short manual which I hope to publish soon (like in a week). in the meantime you can always email or PM me with any questions.

@ohwell said:
    Is there a way to make the pitch lane more intuitive to work with? Don’t know if it’s user error on my end but it seems like: adding steps always adds the root note, and there is no way to remove a note without first entering a new note.

the pitch lanes are multiselection (for chords), and you can't have an empty step. you'll have to work in conjunction with the pitch and/or rest lanes to program your melodies. the app more geared towards exploration and happy accidents than deliberate composition.

@Charlesalbert said:
    Out of sync. It starts in step 2 as said before. I wonder what have they test in beta😂

yes it's a bug which slipped through unfortunately. will push a fix asap. same thing with the AUv3 scale state saving.

@ElectroHead said:
    Does Cykle slave to external midi clock? External transport (MMC)?

not yet, you can use Ableton Link to sync. might implement it in the future.

@ecamburn said:
    So now I’m on the hunt for CCs for all the synths I own. :) Animoog conveniently displays them. What about other synths? I seem to recall that Modstep displayed CC values for automation of Auv synths. I guess I’ll start mining manuals but iOS devs don’t seem to publish CCs as consistently as VST developers and hardware manufacturers.

Any ideas?

I tested a lot with AudioKit Synth One which seems to expose a lot its parameters at the usual addresses.

• edited September 2019

@ecamburn said:

Any ideas?

With AUM, you can map as many MIDI cc as you want to your heart's delight even for other Midi FX. It just depends on which parameters are exposed to AUM by a particular AU.

• edited September 2019

That makes sense @auxmux. I was hoping to save a step and modulate parameters that are already pre mapped to CCs by developers.

Thanks @cp3 on the heads up re synth one.

ODYSSEi seems pre mapped to pretty standard CCs

• Does Cykle slave to external midi clock? External transport (MMC)?

not yet, you can use Ableton Link to sync. might implement it in the future.

That's a shame. Using midi clock directly from my OT gives best sync results in my experience. Workarounds I've tested to convert Midi to Ableton Link, were not stable.

• @cp3 Also the bug where changing the midi settings in the AU affects all AU instances.

• edited September 2019

Did notice the state-saving bug mentioned... and the patterns controls are not showing in the AU version.. Such an important feature to be omitted ... Sweet app though..

Standalone version below.

• Are there still serious issues here? This app is SO up my alley, and I was on the original anonymous beta test and have been jonesing for it since.