Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Cubasis Read/Write Automation Hit or Miss? (not Cubasis’ fault)

Can anyone confirm if you can record Sunrizer automation in Cubasis? I’m not having any luck.
I’ve noticed this issue with a few other apps in my collection.
Is there another way to record app automation? (I’d rather not record the part as audio just yet.)
Many thanks.

Comments

• What are you trying to automate with Sunrizer? I just added a Sunrizer track, automated its volume and it worked.

Did you turn on the R button on the track to "read" the automation in playback mode?

• edited July 2019

I’m trying to automate the ADSR faders (top right of Sunrizer). Not working for me.
    Yes I turned on R

• Haven’t tried that. I guess automation editor shows only volume, pan and mute initially. But we can make other parameters show up with some tweaks. I remember watching a video by Jacob Haq on how.

• edited July 2019

Yeah I watched that too but he doesn’t mention that it doesn’t work with all synths/fx. This makes me wonder if I’m doing something wrong. Are you able to automate the ADSR faders in Sunrizer?

• edited July 2019

I guess for that to work (not sure), the synth has to appear under MIDI Effects (Sunrizer doesn’t). Contact @LFS for how

• edited July 2019

I’m not sure that’s it but thanks for your help. 😀👍🏻
    I’ll try @LFS
    Thanks for the info

• edited July 2019

I found this. Quite probably explains it.

• It depends on the app manufacturer, what instrument or effect parameters are automatable and if Audio Unit automation is supported at all.

https://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=183&t=127027

Kind of a drag. Is there another way to automate? Thru Audiobus/Aum/Xequence perhaps?

• @Steaders said:
    I found this. Quite probably explains it.

• It depends on the app manufacturer, what instrument or effect parameters are automatable and if Audio Unit automation is supported at all.

https://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=183&t=127027

Kind of a drag. Is there another way to automate? Thru Audiobus/Aum/Xequence perhaps?

If it doesn’t have to be the AU version then you could record a cc from a controller, or edit draw in the cc automation in the Pianoroll, and then map that to the control.

• Thanks wim!!

• LFSLFS
    edited July 2019

@Steaders said:
    Can anyone confirm if you can record Sunrizer automation in Cubasis? I’m not having any luck.
    I’ve noticed this issue with a few other apps in my collection.
    Is there another way to record app automation? (I’d rather not record the part as audio just yet.)
    Many thanks.

Hi Steaders,

Cubasis supports AU automation for both instruments and effects plug-ins.

To give you a quick simple example...

• load iSEM
    • tap the R/W buttons in the instrument rack top right
    • start playback and move the knobs

Once done...

• de-activate the W button (optional)
    • set cursor to the position where you've started to record automation
    • start playback

Now you should see the automated knobs moving, and are able to tweak things in detail in the automation editor.

However, it depends on the 3rd party instrument and/or effect, if automation is supported, and what parameters are automatable.

In this regard, it might be helpful to take a look at our Limitations of Audio Unit automation article.

I'd suggest to get in touch with BeepStreet to check the status about Sunrizer with them directly.
    Please check if the Sunrizer automation problem thread is helpful too.

Hope that helps!

Best,
    Lars

• edited July 2019

Thanks Lars.
    I wrote to BeepStreet.
    Obviously you had no idea of knowing this but I’ve been a Cubase (PC) user for many years so I’ve got the whole read/write thing down. 😉👍🏻
    I'm also used to everything in Cubase playing nice together.
    Now how about you guys bring chord track/pads (or some variant) to Cubasis? They are perfect tools for iOS music making. It seems crazy to me that you haven’t yet. I’m assuming it’s because you can’t give away all the good stuff in a $50 app.
    Anyway thanks again.

• edited July 2019

@Steaders said:
    Thanks Lars.
    I wrote to BeepStreet.
    Obviously you had no idea of knowing this but I’ve been a Cubase (PC) user for many years so I’ve got the whole read/write thing down. 😉👍🏻
    Now how about you guys bring chord track/pads (or some variant) to Cubasis? They are perfect tools for iOS music making. It seems crazy to me that you haven’t yet. I’m assuming it’s because you can’t give away all the good stuff in a $50 app.
    Anyway thanks again.

I see all the knobs (except the ones in Multi panel) are getting automated but not the ADSR faders.

+1 for Chord Bank with pads and a dedicated Drum Machine too in Cubasis

• @MobileMusic said:

@Steaders said:
    Thanks Lars.
    I wrote to BeepStreet.
    Anyway thanks again.

I see all the knobs (except the ones in Multi panel) are getting automated but not the ADSR faders.

+1 for Chord Bank with pads and a dedicated Drum Machine too.

Thanks MM

• @MobileMusic said:

@Steaders said:
    Thanks Lars.
    I wrote to BeepStreet.
    Anyway thanks again.

Have you tried mapping them to a midi controller? I mapped the ADSR faders to my Akai Mpk mini2 and theyre automating fine on this end.

• @Strizbiz said:

@MobileMusic said:

@Steaders said:
    Thanks Lars.
    I wrote to BeepStreet.
    Anyway thanks again.

Have you tried mapping them to a midi controller? I mapped the ADSR faders to my Akai Mpk mini2 and theyre automating fine on this end.

No, I haven’t

• @Strizbiz said:

@MobileMusic said:

@Steaders said:
    Thanks Lars.
    I wrote to BeepStreet.
    Anyway thanks again.

Yeah mapping them works fine. It’s recording the automation that is the problem. Fortunately, wim suggested loading Sunrizer as IAA and that works.

• @Steaders said:
    Thanks Lars.
    I wrote to BeepStreet.
    Anyway thanks again.

Hi Steader,

Thanks for the update!
    Great to hear you are a long-term Cubase user as well!

If the issue is unrelated to Cubasis, it would be very kind if you could change the topic title afterwards (which otherwise is a bit misleading).

Thank you!

Best,
    Lars

• edited July 2019

@LFS said:

@Steaders said:
    Thanks Lars.
    I wrote to BeepStreet.
    Anyway thanks again.

Hi Steader,

Thanks for the update!

If the issue is unrelated to Cubasis, it would be very kind if you could change the topic title afterwards (which otherwise is a bit misleading).

Thank you!

Best,
    Lars

Lars,
    While I understand you not wanting anything negative said about Cubasis, I feel like the issue is at least in part related to Cubasis. It is a function I cannot always use in Cubasis, therefore it is hit or miss.
    That said, I’m happy for you tell me what you would like the topic title to say.

• LFSLFS
    edited July 2019

@Steaders said:
    Lars,
    While I understand you not wanting anything negative said about Cubasis, I feel it is at least in part related to Cubasis. It is a function I cannot always use in Cubasis, therefore it is hit or miss.
    That said, I’m happy for you tell me what you would like the topic title to say.

Hi @Steaders,

Thanks for your message.

I'm absolutely fine that problems with Cubasis are named and stated.

However, if a 3rd party instrument does not support automation, while Cubasis does, it seems unrelated to Cubasis. Here, the title sounds misleading in my opinion, since it has nothing to do with our app.

Thanks again,
    Lars

• I changed it. It’s the best I can come up with.

• @Steaders said:
    I changed it. It’s the best I can come up with.

Thank you @Steaders - greatly appreciated!

Best
    Lars

• edited July 2019

@Steaders said:

@LFS said:

@Steaders said:
    Thanks Lars.
    I wrote to BeepStreet.
    Anyway thanks again.

Hi Steader,

Thanks for the update!

Thank you!

Best,
    Lars

Lars,
    While I understand you not wanting anything negative said about Cubasis, I feel like the issue is at least in part related to Cubasis. It is a function I cannot always use in Cubasis, therefore it is hit or miss.

Cubasis is like a "container" hosting plugins, etc. (similar to when you get a camera body, you can plugin a SD card, ND filters, lenses, mic, light, etc). If the plugin developer did not expose some controls in their plugin to be automated by host apps, there is nothing Cubasis (or any other host app for that matter) can do to automate them magically. As a developer myself, I can say this is not an issue with Cubasis. In this case, Cubasis is able to automate some knobs in Sunrizer already as expected because its dev exposed them to be automated.

• edited July 2019

@MobileMusic said:

@Steaders said:

@LFS said:

@Steaders said:
    Thanks Lars.
    I wrote to BeepStreet.
    Anyway thanks again.

Hi Steader,

Thanks for the update!

Thank you!

Best,
    Lars

Lars,

Cubasis is like a "container" hosting plugins, etc. (similar to when you get a camera body, you can plugin a SD card, ND filters, lenses, mic, light, etc). If the plugin developer did not expose some controls in their plugin to be automated by host apps, there is nothing Cubasis (or any other host app for that matter) can do to automate them magically. As a developer myself, I can say this is not an issue with Cubasis. In this case, Cubasis is able to automate some knobs in Sunrizer already as expected because its dev exposed them to be automated.

This I know, but it doesn’t change the fact that for whatever reason, read/write automation with some apps is hit or miss in Cubasis. The point that needed to be made and that I was made aware of is that it’s not Cubasis’ fault.

• edited July 2019

@Steaders said:

@MobileMusic said:

@Steaders said:

@LFS said:

@Steaders said:
    Thanks Lars.
    I wrote to BeepStreet.
    Anyway thanks again.

Hi Steader,

Thanks for the update!

Thank you!

Best,
    Lars

Lars,

This I know, but it doesn’t change the fact that for whatever reason, read/write automation with some apps is hit or miss in Cubasis. The point that needed to be made and that I was made aware of is that it’s not Cubasis’ fault.

Are you able to automate Sunrizer controls in other DAW apps such as NS2 and not able to in Cubasis? If so, then it is an issue in Cubasis; if not, the title of this post is misleading. You need to prove your point by showing that it works in other DAW apps or accept that it is an issue with Sunrizer and nothing to do with host DAW apps. Going by your point, the title could also include all DAW apps - not just Cubasis. It is ideal to contact Sunrizer at this point.

• edited July 2019

I don’t own NS2. I fixed the post title (didn’t have to). I even asked @LFS how he wanted me to rephrase the post title. Also and perhaps most importantly the original post title (Cubasis Read/Write Automation Hit or Miss?) was posed as a question, not a statement. I contacted Beepstreet. Sunrizer is not the only app this happens with in Cubasis. I’ve got nothing to “prove”. You need to relax.

• Coming late to this party but Sunrizer’s parameter automation inside Cubasis does not work for me either.Actually it never did which made me not using it at all anymore.

It has just been updated now,the updates refers to fixing external MIDI in background mode,still nothing regarding automation.

• edited September 2019

Sunrizer exposes a limited number of parameters for automation (22 that I count), and these can be seen as a list inside some hosts, MTS and AUM included. In MTS, it’s not possible to record virtual knob wiggles, the user draws curves in automation lanes. In AUM these automatable parameters can be assigned CC #s for use with modulation apps.
    BM3 allows the user to record movements of Sunrizer virtual knobs of these parameters