Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

IAA preset recall with StreamByter AU

edited January 2019 in App Tips and Tricks

This is a good workaround for non-AU IAA apps which don't support AB statesaving OR you want to work in apeMatrix or AUM with an IAA app and want to recall the preset used next time you boot up.

There are a limited amount of apps which support Program change for presets but they are quite a few of them including some Korg apps, Gestrument Pro, Fugue Machine and many others.

There's a thread here about bank select/PC apps but maybe we need a new list added in this thread.

Save your preset in the IAA app and refer to the way the app accesses them via PC message.

With StreamByter use a script such as:

# send program change 2/ch1 with 2s delay on load
IF LOAD
SND C0 01 +D2000
END    

Experiment with the delay amount, add more if necessary. Point the Streambyter AU output to the IAA app. Then when you load the session the IAA preset should load after receiving the PC message.

so in this way if you aren't using your IAA apps as much your AUs because of lack of state saving, StreamByter provides a way of giving them a bit more longevity.

If you have any success (or not) with any apps with this technique please add to this thread :)

SB probably does Bank select too but haven't tried that yet.

The manual which this script shows up as as example is here

Edit:

working well with Gestrument Pro,
..Gr-16 (bank select for user folders)

...will try and update thread with others

Comments

• That’s a very slick idea you’ve got there. Will be interesting to see how practical it can be.

• Here's another useful one (from the forum) where you can send Program change messages via midi CC to make it possible to automate preset changes during a session. This would work with AUs too of course if they accepted PCs.

you could use StepPolyarp unit to send the CCs for example.

#CC to program change remapper
    #Ch1, CC1 = PC 0 
    #Ch1, CC2 = PC 1 
    #Ch1, CC3 = PC 2 
    #Ch1, CC4 = PC 3 
    #Ch1, CC5 = PC 4 
    #Ch2, CC1 = PC 5 
    #Ch 2, CC2 = PC 6 
    #etc 
    #Ch5, CC5 = PC 24 
    IF MT == B0 # it's a CC 
    IF MC <= 4 # channel is 1 to 5 
    IF M1 <= 5 # CC is 1 to 5 
    IF M2 == 7F # CC full on 
    MAT I0 = 5 * MC # calc PC 
    MAT I0 = I0 + M1
    SND C0 I0 # send PC 
    END
    END
    END
    END

• Hi. Thanks for sharing. For some reason it doesn’t work for me. when I load a “project file” in Aum it won’t send the PC message unless I press install rules button.

• @Tamir_Raz_Mataz said:
    Hi. Thanks for sharing. For some reason it doesn’t work for me. when I load a “project file” in Aum it won’t send the PC message unless I press install rules button.

hmm, it's still working for me if I use Gestrument pro as the app receiving the message... try increasing the delay of the PC message in the script. It's got to be all setup properly before it's ready to receive. Which app are you using to receive the message?

• I use inside Aum GR16 and also SB is routed to mfx monitor. There’s no message received when I load Aum project only when I change a preset on SB or install rule.
    I will try on Audiobus.

• It worked in Aum when only GR16 and SB are open. When I load on other full project it won’t work

• I've not been using GR16 so not sure why that's happening

• Good stuff. I've been using mfxConvert to convert midi notes to program changes messages for similar type of approach.

• I know from a discussion with Jonatan that Midi Program change on load is on the list for future AUM updates but there's no telling when it might show up as I'm sure his schedule is pretty packed :)

• @Tamir_Raz_Mataz said:
    It worked in Aum when only GR16 and SB are open. When I load on other full project it won’t work

another thing is to make sure the script is the last in the AU chain to load

• @Tamir_Raz_Mataz said:
    It worked in Aum when only GR16 and SB are open. When I load on other full project it won’t work

Have you double-checked your MIDI routing in AUM?

• @espiegel123 said:

@Tamir_Raz_Mataz said:

Have you double-checked your MIDI routing in AUM?

What must I check?
    How do I check if the script is the last in the AU chain to load?

• @Tamir_Raz_Mataz said:

How do I check if the script is the last in the AU chain to load?

in AUM it's the furthest to the right slots which load last, but depends on the host app.