Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

OP-Z + BlueTooth + AUM

edited July 2019 in Other

Just curious if anyone else is experiencing consistent crashes of the OP-Z when wirelessly synced to BlueTooth to AUM for sequencing.

My OP-Z freezes after about 10-15 minutes of playback. I don’t encounter any seizing while connected via a wire…so I’m wondering if something is being done over BlueTooth which causes havoc with the OP-Z.

Going to try the same setup with AB and Bluetooth to see if the problem persists.

Cheers.

Comments

• @echoopera said:
    Just curious if anyone else is experiencing consistent crashes of the OP-Z when wirelessly synced to BlueTooth to AUM for sequencing.

My OP-Z freezes after about 10-15 minutes of playback. I don’t encounter any seizing while connected via a wire…so I’m wondering if something is being done over BlueTooth which causes havoc with the OP-Z.

Going to try the same setup with AB and Bluetooth to see if the problem persists.

Cheers.

Clock sync over Bluetooth MIDI?
    Sounds very much like a bug report to TE.
    Maybe you're the first using this combo for more than 10 mins?

• edited July 2019

@rs2000 said:

@echoopera said:

Cheers.

Clock sync over Bluetooth MIDI?
    Sounds very much like a bug report to TE.
    Maybe you're the first using this combo for more than 10 mins?

It might be a send clock over Bluetooth from AUM issue. I pinged TE about the issue. AB3 works fine over Bluetooth sending Midi Clock to the OP-Z.

Going to send an email to AUM Dev...

• Hrmmm. Looks like an issue with Send Clock and Ableton Link. I started Groovebox in the background and the OP-Z froze. Well narrowed it down so i can at least pass along that info. Not sure if both things can run at same time. OP-Z probably doesn’t know what to do with the Link info passing through the setup or something and just seized up.

• @echoopera said:
    Hrmmm. Looks like an issue with Send Clock and Ableton Link. I started Groovebox in the background and the OP-Z froze. Well narrowed it down so i can at least pass along that info. Not sure if both things can run at same time. OP-Z probably doesn’t know what to do with the Link info passing through the setup or something and just seized up.

Are you sure there’s no midi loop situation? That’s kinda what it sounds like.

• Not sure. Just sending midi from OP-Z to the AUM Setup. But things did freeze when i launched Groovebox with ableton Link on for some drum accompaniment.

• @echoopera said:
    Not sure. Just sending midi from OP-Z to the AUM Setup. But things did freeze when i launched Groovebox with ableton Link on for some drum accompaniment.

Ok, so you have MIDI in both directions and you better make sure something like "MIDI echo" is turned off on the OP-Z.
    Technically there is absolutely no reason for LINK and MIDI Clock not being handled by an app at the same time but most apps will reveal issues when trying to use both - either you can't enable both or you get unexpected results.

I wonder why you need LINK with only an iDevice and the OP-Z.

Have you tried using apeMatrix as a host and MIDI clock sender instead of AUM?

• edited July 2019

@rs2000 said:

@echoopera said:
    Not sure. Just sending midi from OP-Z to the AUM Setup. But things did freeze when i launched Groovebox with ableton Link on for some drum accompaniment.

Ok, so you have MIDI in both directions and you better make sure something like "MIDI echo" is turned off on the OP-Z.
    Technically there is absolutely no reason for LINK and MIDI Clock not being handled by an app at the same time but most apps will reveal issues when trying to use both - either you can't enable both or you get unexpected results.

I wonder why you need LINK with only an iDevice and the OP-Z.

Have you tried using apeMatrix as a host and MIDI clock sender instead of AUM?

Thanks. I am using Link so i can keep the OP-Z in sync with non AUv3 instruments i am running concurrently with AUM. I usually use drums from Groovebox or Blocswave alongside the instruments i am sequencing in AUM. I guess the more complexity i introduce the more fragile things become.

I’ll keep testing to find the right stable workflow. Thanks for the feedback. I’ll poke around for the MidiEcho parameter and see if i have access to it on the op-z.

• Use AudioBus. It midi syncs perfectly with OP-Z, and can then sync to other external hardware, to Link, and also to apps that sync only with AB -- Blocswave, for instance. Way better than AUM in my experience.

• @mistercharlie said:
    Use AudioBus. It midi syncs perfectly with OP-Z, and can then sync to other external hardware, to Link, and also to apps that sync only with AB -- Blocswave, for instance. Way better than AUM in my experience.

I had AB3 freeze the OP-Z last night by running GrooveBox in the background. Going to try and outline the steps so everyone can experience the freeze :)

• Looking forward to it.

• Can't wait to put my OP-Z through it's paces with iOS apps. Works brilliant driving my OB-6, but that's not exactly portable :)

• Yeah it’s a dream come true honestly. I love the marriage between these two platforms. Just want it to be stable for long sets over BlueTooth. I’m sure I’m doing something wrong but it’s worth discussing.

• The new USB audio connection, plus sampling, is just amazing with iOS.

• edited July 2019

Ok. I think i found a stable setup. Using Link to Midi to get everything Linkable. Having the OP-Z serve as the Master Clock which then sets the Link BPM.

This setup was super stable today and well, here’s the result of the setup sequencing some kit in AUM with a few BlocsWave loops added for additional texture.

• And of course, where would it be without a little video to accompany it 🤪🙏🏼💕

• Link to Midi rather than having Audiobus manage that? Well, if it’s stable, then that’s great. It seems to me that having the OPZ send midi clock to AudioBus (making sure that AudioBus isn’t sending it back to the OPZ), and having AudioBus run Link seems like it would be way more stable and accurate.

But - theory only. I’m not blessed with an OPZ. If you would like to send me yours I’ll be happy to test though!

• edited July 2019

@wim said:
    Link to Midi rather than having Audiobus manage that? Well, if it’s stable, then that’s great. It seems to me that having the OPZ send midi clock to AudioBus (making sure that AudioBus isn’t sending it back to the OPZ), and having AudioBus run Link seems like it would be way more stable and accurate.

But - theory only. I’m not blessed with an OPZ. If you would like to send me yours I’ll be happy to test though!

Heheh. I would if i could, but I’ll wish one for you soon 🙏🏼💕

I use AUM because of the ability to perform Bus Sends so that’s the reason for the setup. Now that i know it works, I’ll try a similar routing thru AB3 and forgo the Bus sends.

Thanks for entertaining me with this thread 👊🏼™️

• @echoopera I love your music. It uplifting my spirts. But for the love of holy Moses. I’m really curious why you choose the OPZ? Is that the one for 599$. What are you finding in that you can’t do all in iOS? I’m really curious....

• Step Components. Crazy what you can do with those little gems.

• edited July 2019

@Eye0sStudios said:
    @echoopera I love your music. It uplifting my spirts. But for the love of holy Moses. I’m really curious why you choose the OPZ? Is that the one for 599$. What are you finding in that you can’t do all in iOS? I’m really curious....

Thank you. That is very kind of you to say that about my music.

Honestly i have a fascination with step sequencers. I love the OctaTrack MkII but i wanted something more portable which i can use anywhere. When i read about the OP-Z it just checked off all the boxes of what i wanted in a sequencer...so because of our GAS syndrome we all have it ended up on my doorstep one day and well, the rest is compositional history as they say. Hrmmm...i don’t think anyone ever said that. 🤪

I love the slowness of programming via a hardware interface as well...it just puts you in a different headspace. In the end it’s just another instrument to release the spirit of my soul upon the world ya know. 🙏🏼💕

But also because of what @Tarekith said so succinctly. 👊🏼™️

• Thanks. Keep making that beautiful music!!

• wimwim
    edited July 2019

@echoopera said:

@wim said:
    Link to Midi rather than having Audiobus manage that? Well, if it’s stable, then that’s great. It seems to me that having the OPZ send midi clock to AudioBus (making sure that AudioBus isn’t sending it back to the OPZ), and having AudioBus run Link seems like it would be way more stable and accurate.

I use AUM because of the ability to perform Bus Sends so that’s the reason for the setup. Now that i know it works, I’ll try a similar routing thru AB3 and forgo the Bus sends.

No need to give up AUM. AUM inside Audiobus is a killer combination. But, whatever works for ya! You are definitely doing something right and continue to inspire us all. B)

• Thanks @wim Just trying to do my part for this big show of life 🙏🏼💕

• @wim said:

@echoopera said:

@wim said:

No need to give up AUM. AUM inside Audiobus is a killer combination. But, whatever works for ya! You are definitely doing something right and continue to inspire us all. B)

Hey Wim, may I ask what the extra CPU usage is if you use AUM inside AB3 as opposed to AUM standalone? I also use Link to Midi in certain unusual cases and found it works great with no extra noticeable CPU usage. Please note that I run all my gear at 96khz which of course adds to CPU usage.

• @echoopera just got my OP-Z and loving it a lot. Trying to do a similar setup to yours but I’d like to use the OP-Z for the drums. Is there a way to program the 4 drum tracks and send them all to Ruismaker inside AUM? They all play the same note, incomplete midi implementation?

• edited September 2019

@RJB said:
    @echoopera just got my OP-Z and loving it a lot. Trying to do a similar setup to yours but I’d like to use the OP-Z for the drums. Is there a way to program the 4 drum tracks and send them all to Ruismaker inside AUM? They all play the same note, incomplete midi implementation?

Cool...Congrats on the fun new toy. For RuisMaker, I think you need to change the Midi Mapping. I'm not with my iPad @ the moment, but I think you have to activate the GM Keymap for it to work properly...I think that allows it to play the C3, D2...etc key layout....

Have a look here for more clarity:
    http://ruismaker.com/wp-content/uploads/ruismaker_guide.pdf

• @[Deleted User] said:

@wim said:

@echoopera said:

@wim said:

Hey Wim, may I ask what the extra CPU usage is if you use AUM inside AB3 as opposed to AUM standalone? I also use Link to Midi in certain unusual cases and found it works great with no extra noticeable CPU usage. Please note that I run all my gear at 96khz which of course adds to CPU usage.

I've never observed any difference. It would be a unreliable measurement anyway. There is no way to measure CPU utilization in a meaningful way on iOS since it does things like throttling back processors when not under load, to save battery.

I assume there would be at least some, likely small, performance penalty, but quantifying that would require testing until "crackling" or UI sluggishness sets in under both scenarios. Results would vary between devices too, so not worth the effort to try to quantify, IMO.

• I experience audio delay / sync issues on beats when midi driving apps from op z to AUM whilst simultaneously streaming op z audio into AUM. Had a look at aum settings but cannot resolve. Anyone else managed to to this?

• Hi guys. Guess this is the right thread for my question. I tried the OP Z with my ipad yesterday for the first time. My goal would be to use the first four OPZ track for its internal drums, but the synths tracks for sequencing AU synths in AUM. And then record everything to audio. The 4 drum tracks as one stem, the other 4 synth tracks seperately.
    Since AUM can only handle one interface I used it in Audiobus for mulitaudio routing... So I can have the OPZ as Input but my headphones for monitoring as output..
    How would you record the audio? I know AUM can do multitrack recording but not in this setúp cause it's outputting to AB3... Does AB3 multitrack recording as well? Not sure. Or could I send the OPZ audio and the synth apps audio together to a DAW like Cubasis...
    Puuhh. Sorry that sounded complicated. Thanks for any suggestions.

• Sorry, forget my question. I can record everything in AUM of course. Only need Ab3 for monitoring.