Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

LumBeat apps: great - Please make AUv3s of them ASAP for SaveState where MIDI can be output too.

Currently no LumBeat app has AudioBus State saving. So there's no way of saving everything one has set up in a LB app when using it in combination with other apps - say in AB3.

There's an obvious move to AUv3 these days and there would be so much benefit from having the entire range of LB apps available as AU plugins.

(Maybe even just a single plugin with IAPs for each instrument ? )

Not being able to save

Comments

• edited August 2018

Apps usually reflect the workflows of the developer. I don’t think this developer has a need for what AU provides. :(

• maybe. in which case just adding SaveState and AudioBus3 MIDI support might be a more logical and beneficial ( for us ) move

• IBassist desperately needs proper Midi control

• edited August 2018

I would certainly use them more if they were AU. I have four of them but they have been pretty much unused by me now that I am so AU centric.

• edited August 2018

I don't use any Drum AU.

Patterning
    Elastic Drums
    Future Drummer
    Snap'
    Mo Drums
    Bram's as well. (in IAA form)

I don't need more than 1 instance of a drum app really.

Gadget always is there for me with a type need like that.

What would be the benefit of an Audio Unit of these drum apps?

Besides small screens potentially.

(SRS POST IS SRS)

• _ki_ki
    edited August 2018

@RUST( i )K said:
    What would be the benefit of an Audio Unit of these drum apps?

Total recall - this allows changeing between projects without addional save/load of settings in the drum apps.

• edited August 2018

@RUST( i )K State saving and parameter automation! I cannot wait for the AU standard to hit the drum apps. Just a matter of when I hope.

• edited August 2018

Ok.. I do now understand the need for ‘Auv3’ state saving after shutting down a ‘perfect session’ in AUM.. Tried reloading the ‘perfect session’, but settings were changed when loaded .. StepPolyArp (Au) retained its settings (BTW, SPA worked wonderful having iBassist sending chords to its ARP).. But yes.. State saving is essential.. because LumBeat changed everything for iOS music production with its suites.. It will be nice to have things recalled as some ‘sessions’ will be ‘work in progress’...

Wonderful..

• 1+ for AUM

• edited September 2019

Do all of Lumbeat's drum apps work with AUM? If not, which ones do, and which ones do not? I would like to purchase one or more of them, but AUM is ESSENTIAL to my workflow. Thanks...

• edited September 2019

Good luck; I love this dev’s apps but zero communication lately; maybe working on new projects.😳❤️🤗😇

• @Skyscrapersax said:
    Do all of Lumbeat's drum apps work with AUM? If not, which ones do, and which ones do not? I would like to purchase one or more of them, but AUM is ESSENTIAL to my workflow. Thanks...

They all do. They are all set up more or less the same with the same configuration options.

• Thank you for that info! I'm tired of buying apps that don't work with inter-app audio, etc. DrumGenius is great for my type of music (Jazz), but it doesn't show up in AUM. Is the "soft drummer" the one to get first for club dates (corporate events, weddings, etc., with a variety of Jazz, Pop and Latin tunes)? He doesn't appear to offer bundles, and they are not cheap.

• Do they ever go on sale ?
    Really want reggae drummer, but looks like pulse being released in a few days is gonna be my next purchase

• @Skyscrapersax said:
    Thank you for that info! I'm tired of buying apps that don't work with inter-app audio, etc. DrumGenius is great for my type of music (Jazz), but it doesn't show up in AUM. Is the "soft drummer" the one to get first for club dates (corporate events, weddings, etc., with a variety of Jazz, Pop and Latin tunes)? He doesn't appear to offer bundles, and they are not cheap.

SoftDrummer is great. I use it for both jazz and funk. He only very very very rarely has offered bundles or discounts. So, I wouldn’t hold off in expectation that such will happen.

While they may seem expensive relative to what apps cost typically, I think that the sound quality and feel of the drums and the AI is really great.

Another option is DrumPerfect Pro which has great quality but is more work to set up. And isn’t designed with the same sort of set it and forget approach.

• Thank you again! I actually bought DrumPerfect Pro when I first got my iPad, and it doesn't work for me at all. What I want is a drum program that "shows up" in AUM (which I just bought) without issue and which I can instantly use for a groove depending upon the tune at hand. This is for corporate gigs, wedding receptions, etc., where there is zero time to fiddle (I play saxophones and piano). Several of his offerings look useful: since I play Bossa Nova, the Brazilian one is appealing. And some Funk, of course. There is no "Pop," though ... is Pop in Soft Drummer? Again, thank you for your help! I just put myself "out there" for these types of gigs, so I will get Soft Drummer now! The price is fine if the quality and AUM functionality is there. But oftentimes these multiple apps are bundled, so I had to ask.

• @Skyscrapersax said:
    Thank you again! I actually bought DrumPerfect Pro when I first got my iPad, and it doesn't work for me at all. What I want is a drum program that "shows up" in AUM (which I just bought) without issue and which I can instantly use for a groove depending upon the tune at hand. This is for corporate gigs, wedding receptions, etc., where there is zero time to fiddle (I play saxophones and piano). Several of his offerings look useful: since I play Bossa Nova, the Brazilian one is appealing. And some Funk, of course. There is no "Pop," though ... is Pop in Soft Drummer? Again, thank you for your help! I just put myself "out there" for these types of gigs, so I will get Soft Drummer now! The price is fine if the quality and AUM functionality is there. But oftentimes these multiple apps are bundled, so I had to ask.

I find SoftDrummer pretty versatile. It has a lot of nice built-in grooves and of course, you can program your own. Whether it will work for you for pop probably depends a lot on what you like. I think it can work quite well for a lot of pop tunes.

What I especially like is that with a medium jam intensity, the drummer changes things up in the way a disciplined non-show-offy drummer does. It doesn’t feel machine-like to me, especially with a bit of swing.

• @Skyscrapersax said:
    Thank you again! I actually bought DrumPerfect Pro when I first got my iPad, and it doesn't work for me at all. What I want is a drum program that "shows up" in AUM (which I just bought) without issue and which I can instantly use for a groove depending upon the tune at hand. This is for corporate gigs, wedding receptions, etc., where there is zero time to fiddle (I play saxophones and piano). Several of his offerings look useful: since I play Bossa Nova, the Brazilian one is appealing. And some Funk, of course. There is no "Pop," though ... is Pop in Soft Drummer? Again, thank you for your help! I just put myself "out there" for these types of gigs, so I will get Soft Drummer now! The price is fine if the quality and AUM functionality is there. But oftentimes these multiple apps are bundled, so I had to ask.

There are decent demos on YouTube for each app. I watched them every time I was about to pick up another one, to help me decide. I have them all now except Brazil and Mid-east.

I think you are getting the right one, SoftDrummer.
    Rock Drum Machine has some plain pop beats, but the Drum sounds might be too loud and heavy hitting. And while you could Midi Out to whatever other drum sounds that might sound and feel more appropriate, that also means setting up another app, and hoping they play nice together consistently.

• edited September 2019

Soft drummer can cover a lot of bases including jazz, funk and some Brazilian/Latin styles. It works flawlessly in AUM. If you get a Bluetooth footswitch such as the iRig Blueboard or AirTurn BT200s-4 you can control stop/start, fill and pattern change with your
    I recently messaged Luis of Lumbeat and he said he was having a lot of difficulty getting his apps to work as AUs.

• Thank all of you for the input! I am not all that familiar with iPad "lingo" ---- so, what is an "AU." I have AUM (with the "M") and I do need the drum apps to work with it. Apparently they do, but what is the problem with "AU" and what is it? Thanks.....

• @Skyscrapersax said:
    Thank all of you for the input! I am not all that familiar with iPad "lingo" ---- so, what is an "AU." I have AUM (with the "M") and I do need the drum apps to work with it. Apparently they do, but what is the problem with "AU" and what is it? Thanks.....

It means AUv3. It is a way to have apps run as plugins inside of a Host app, such as AUM.
    It’s the newest way to do things. Lumbeat uses IAA to connect to AUM. It is the old way, not as convenient as AUv3, and is not going to be supported by Apple in the future.

There is constant discussion around here regarding IAA vs. AU. You will catch on in no time, if you follow some threads or do a little searching.

• edited September 2019

Thank you for the "heads up." I have been on this site several times in the past, but not for a while. IAA works perfectly, why would they get rid of it, especially since apps (apparently including the ones at issue, by LumBeats) don't run on the new AUv3? Actually, before I bought AUM, I bought Camelot Pro, and only a couple of my apps showed up. Their support said that is because they are not AUv3. So, I have no use for it. Why would Apple f--- this up? I can't see anything wrong with IAA, but then again, I have no idea what I'm talking about (technically... I'm a very accomplished saxophonist and pianist).

I just bought SoftDrummer (in the last few minutes), and I was immediately able to flawlessly execute two different parts for "Take 5" with different rhythms using AUM, now these grooves are in my looper. This is exactly what I want. AUM has all the other sounds (piano, bass, etc.) Easy peasy, sounds great, time to play music!

In fact, I JUST upgraded from iOS 10.3 to the current (until tomorrow...) 12.4.1. Does this mean that I should avoid 13?

• @Skyscrapersax said:
    Thank you for the "heads up." I have been on this site several times in the past, but not for a while. IAA works perfectly, why would they get rid of it, especially since apps (apparently including the ones at issue, by LumBeats) don't run on the new AUv3? Actually, before I bought AUM, I bought Camelot Pro, and only a couple of my apps showed up. Their support said that is because they are not AUv3. So, I have no use for it. Why would Apple f--- this up? I can't see anything wrong with IAA, but then again, I have no idea what I'm talking about (technically... I'm a very accomplished saxophonist and pianist).

I just bought SoftDrummer (in the last few minutes), and I was immediately able to flawlessly execute two different parts for "Take 5" with different rhythms using AUM, now these grooves are in my looper. This is exactly what I want. AUM has all the other sounds (piano, bass, etc.) Easy peasy, sounds great, time to play music!

In fact, I JUST upgraded from iOS 10.3 to the current (until tomorrow...) 12.4.1. Does this mean that I should avoid 13?

I think it would depend on how old your device is.
    I have an Air 2, so I am going to wait a bit and see how others fare.
    I think my Air 2 is near the bottom of the supported device list, but I am hoping 13 will run fine on it.

• Mine is the first gen iPadPro 12.9" .... What I meant is "is Apple going to drop support for IAA."

• @Skyscrapersax said:
    Mine is the first gen iPadPro 12.9" .... What I meant is "is Apple going to drop support for IAA."

No, just deprecated, so it will still be around for a while.
    I read someone stating IAA will still get actual support in iOS 13, but not sure if it is true.
    Anyway, Audiobus actually predates IAA, and it will still be an alternative to ‘AU or nothing’ even when IAA is history.

But I would still wait a bit to see how others with the same device as you do on iOS 13.
    I always wait at least week or two, and keep an eye on this forum for any problems.

• Yeah, I will wait. The only new thing in 13 that interests me anyway is swipe, which would be nice but is not essential. I still fail to see why whomever (Apple?) would eliminate IAA. It works great. What's the reason?

• @CracklePot said:

@Skyscrapersax said:
    Mine is the first gen iPadPro 12.9" .... What I meant is "is Apple going to drop support for IAA."

I read someone stating IAA will still get actual support in iOS 13, but not sure if it is true.
    Anyway, Audiobus actually predates IAA, and it will still be an alternative to ‘AU or nothing’ even when IAA is history.

But I would still wait a bit to see how others with the same device as you do on iOS 13.
    I always wait at least week or two, and keep an eye on this forum for any problems.

IAA is still supported in iOS 13. They even fixed a bug introduced in 12.4

• @espiegel123 said:

@CracklePot said:

@Skyscrapersax said:

IAA is still supported in iOS 13. They even fixed a bug introduced in 12.4

That is great to know.
    Thank you for confirming that fact.
    👍🏻

• Ditto on the 13 confirmation.

• @LuisMartinez no auv3 ok. But pleaaaase add state saving !